Author Topic: "Last Resort AB" Pontus Alv on making skate shoes  (Read 55079 times)

cricketclub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
Re: "Last Resort AB" Pontus Alv on making (skate?) shoes
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2020, 11:53:20 AM »
cheetah: "explain how I’m blowing myself"

also cheetah: *proceeds to blow himself in new and exciting ways no one ever thought possible
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2020, 11:57:44 AM »
The most relevant take on the thread so far:

Cut my life into pieces...

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2020, 01:16:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why are so many people upset about this company being created? First of all, it has been mentioned several times that a 100$ shoe will be released, which isn't outrageous by any means if it's a quality shoe made in Europe. Anyone who has been buying dunks or other 100$ skate shoes lately will probably back me up when I say that you sure as fuck aren't getting what you pay for quality wise - that leather and suede is fucking trash.

This company looks to be marketed towards dudes in their late 20's++, who skate or are into skating and that are willing to pay extra for fair working conditions, sustainability responsibility and quality materials. Maybe they're not for going through 3 pairs a month - maybe they're for using everyday and cruising the streets and skating a little after work, that's how my old ass uses shoes now so this surely caught my interest.

Can't wait to see how this unfolds, I haven't had a skate focused shoe with nice materials since that first run of HUF shoes came out. Damn that suede was butter.
[close]

Fucking thank you. Jesus. I was losing my mind reading some of the hate/‘just buy a $40 Reebok’.
I would absolutely like to pay a bit more, for something that’s created in a kinder environment, and is (hopefully) better made.
[close]

Depends what you mean homie. I completely agree with you if we are talking straight fashion. I spend absurd amounts of money on shoes and clothes because I make good money and don’t like buying cars and don’t like the mobility of owning a house. Like I’m not saying shit in that fucking regards go spend your money to look however you feel, I would never say that. I’m just saying personally as a sneaker collector I’m not ever gonna spend my money on a $200 pair of GENERIC ass looking shoes like that. It’s your money, go spend it how you fucking please.

In regards to skating though are you fucking kidding me? I don’t know about y’all but I go through a pair of shoes in 20 sessions maximum, usually the soles start falling thru the bottom of the shoes. Why the fuck would I even want to pay $100 for a shoe then? Like i spend $170-$200 on shoes I plan to keep for years, so like why spend half that money if it lasts me less then a fucking month. Like I have money to spend on shoes, but that’s kind of s worthless as investment even if the shoes look better then others. Over here in the United States you can grab a pair of vans from an outlet mall for like $25-$30 for a classic silhouette like the high top, slip on, era, etc. and $40 for a pro shoe. Now obviously that shafts over the shops because I know they can’t sell Vans that cheaply or shoes that cheap in general to make a buck which sucks. This is why I think it’s funny y’all fuckers talking shit on Nike and Adidas. In America unless you buy shit online you can’t buy adidas skate shoes and Nike skate shoes outside of core shops, which drives there business. This is why I buy fashion skate shoes from shops to help them out, but buy cheap vans from the outlets to actually skate in. You can talk shit all you want, but the ethics of it are more complex then some of y’all want to make it out to be.

You seem to have a very narrow view of consumerism and the power you have over companies behavior in terms of business ethics. I don't know if it's a culture thing but here it's common to be willing to pay for shit you don't necessarily feel, but you know and can usually feel it. Like I stated earlier, supporting a smaller growing business with bigger focus on sustainability and business ethics can feel a lot different. This in itself can (somewhat ironically) also have the same impact as looks.

Buying cheap ass shoes from companies with trash ethics won't solve anything. They'll just get worse and worse, just look at Nikes bullshit quality we're all paying overprice for and how they're treating skate shops.
Buying shoes for double the money but that probably lasts longer, has good business ethics and supports sustainability makes a difference and puts pressure on competitors to put out better product.

How the future pans out depends on you as a consumer. Everyone started buying decks from fucking Zumiez to save 10$ and then they complain that the local skate shop sells longboards too now. Supporting companies who you want to be alive will help them grow and develop r&d and designs.

Bottom line: spend your money on the companies you want to support and they'll thrive. Some prioritize the price, they should get the cheaper pair. Some love Nike and what they do, so go ahead and get that. Others prioritize other things, they should get that. Alternatives are always good, the market (consumers) will decide the outcome.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:31:03 PM by Deekay »

morningcommute

« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2020, 12:20:16 AM »
On the last resort Instagram there’s a photo of a piece of paper with initials of team riders (also a footnote suggesting Pontus is looking for creative weirdos who aren’t that good at skating- which is a bit of a back handed compliment to anyone he’s approached about riding for the company).

Speculation in the comments suggests Dane Brady, Chris mango milic and Jesse alba.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -4
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2020, 01:23:20 AM »
Team wish list.

rukes

• Rep: 211
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2020, 02:03:03 AM »
Balenciaga Triple S or fukkaouttahere
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

enrgydrnkr

• Rep: 25
« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2020, 03:18:15 AM »
On the last resort Instagram there’s a photo of a piece of paper with initials of team riders (also a footnote suggesting Pontus is looking for creative weirdos who aren’t that good at skating- which is a bit of a back handed compliment to anyone he’s approached about riding for the company).

Speculation in the comments suggests Dane Brady, Chris mango milic and Jesse alba.

pretty sure NR= Nick Rios aka the dude with that hypnotic lipslide polejam bounce in the last polar video.
JA could be so many people, if not Jesse Alba maybe Jake Anderson? Although might be 'too good' at skating for this criteria.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2020, 03:36:42 AM »
Chad Muska with a shoe sponsor trifecta?

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2020, 04:15:53 AM »
lol how is dane brady "not that good at skating"

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2020, 08:51:56 AM »
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2020, 09:03:09 AM »

would rather it be jake anderson than jesse alba

Fre$HPrince

« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2020, 09:04:49 AM »
Oh sweet another shoe company.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2020, 09:21:18 AM »

Are you insinuating that there are a lot of skate shoe companies? I would argue the opposite, that there are very few brands left to choose from other than the major corporate brands. That said, it's probably financial suicide to try and break into the market independently due to the duopoly Nike and Adidas have on it.

Board companies are a whole different story, more than 1/2 of them need to go away.

Stephens Lawyer

• Rep: 139
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2020, 09:40:01 AM »
i can't even go to the grocery store without starting at least 3 shoe companies by the time i get there

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2020, 10:04:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you insinuating that there are a lot of skate shoe companies? I would argue the opposite, that there are very few brands left to choose from other than the major corporate brands. That said, it's probably financial suicide to try and break into the market independently due to the duopoly Nike and Adidas have on it.

Board companies are a whole different story, more than 1/2 of them need to go away.

State, proper, straye, 3 sole tech brands, globe, dvs, fallen, DC, lakai, supra, and I'm probably missing some more.

A HOMOSEXUAL PERSON

• Rep: -24
« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

imo something like 3 or 4 new shoe brands wouldn't be bad at all.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2020, 10:35:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

State, proper, straye, 3 sole tech brands, globe, dvs, fallen, DC, lakai, supra, and I'm probably missing some more.

these are basically gone/ invisible/ or a mall brand

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2020, 10:35:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It saddens me that I think all of those shoe companies have more or less disappointed me in - at least! - five years.  :(

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2020, 10:42:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It saddens me that I think all of those shoe companies have more or less disappointed me in - at least! - five years.  :(
Lakai newports are the shit

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
Can I see the shoes yet

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2020, 02:43:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Interesting choices on the bolding because dc is the mall brand of all mall brands. And by invisible do you mean small? Isn't a small shoe brand what a lot of people are asking for?

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2020, 03:56:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damn, that list just proves how bad we do need a decent skate shoe company. State and Proper are the only real challengers here, and unfotunately States are killing my feet and never seen a pair of Propers in Europe.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:59:19 AM by imuseless »

Tabletop

• Rep: -74
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2020, 08:24:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Damn, that list just proves how bad we do need a decent skate shoe company. State and Proper are the only real challengers here, and unfotunately States are killing my feet and never seen a pair of Propers in Europe.

Yes you're missing Vans which I would say is the only shoe brand besides Nike and Adidas and I guess Cons that make good shoes. The rest you mentioned have all seen better days.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2020, 03:21:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes you're missing Vans which I would say is the only shoe brand besides Nike and Adidas and I guess Cons that make good shoes. The rest you mentioned have all seen better days.

Pretty sure Vans falls into the category of 'major corporate brands'.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2020, 04:42:02 PM »
If this is going be as fuckable with as everything else Pontus does, it is definitely going to be to fuck with!

Can anybody explain to this old man though, how you get to see these mentioned photos and prizes of the shoes?!? I can't seem to figure out shit on my own..  :-\
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2020, 06:01:28 PM »
If this is going be as fuckable with as everything else Pontus does, it is definitely going to be to fuck with!

Can anybody explain to this old man though, how you get to see these mentioned photos and prizes of the shoes?!? I can't seem to figure out shit on my own..  :-\

seems they are about to remodel the site. no shop online anymore for the old stuff under the 3-3-20 name. so rn you can't order them or check prices. the shop and models released so far were still up when this thread was created two weeks ago.

Fre$HPrince

« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2020, 08:22:31 PM »
I have five g on my phone and I think it’s making me sick

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2020, 08:29:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Interesting choices on the bolding because dc is the mall brand of all mall brands. And by invisible do you mean small? Isn't a small shoe brand what a lot of people are asking for?
I would argue that Vans is the mall brand of all mall brands - since they actually have stand alone stores in malls.

Ghost Lurker

• Rep: 17
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2020, 08:49:56 PM »
I would like to see a pair of shoes where one shoe is inspired by Mad Circle era Pontus, and the other shoe is Gumbo Arcade Pontus, neon yellow tee bucket hat vibes.
Asymmetric shoe design, two different shoes, combine to make one.
https://youtu.be/QnNfzzrMkWM

https://youtu.be/p7QzprXEoi0

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2020, 08:52:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I would argue that Vans is the mall brand of all mall brands - since they actually have stand alone stores in malls.

Plus every Tom dick and Harry fuck boy and surban mom wears vans. Vans is basically the Etnies with the big E or the ugly DCs with the big DC logo on the side of modern times.