Author Topic: "Last Resort AB" Pontus Alv on making skate shoes  (Read 55086 times)

Frank

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
Re: "Last Resort AB" Pontus Alv on making skate shoes
« Reply #330 on: September 14, 2020, 06:46:00 PM »
Veja makes a campus lookalike. french company, shoes made in brazil, front like their ethical, kinda corny, $150 for the cup, $140 for a vulc. that's what your looking at for some limited DCs or something (though no one buys those its all flow kids but you know what i mean)

yeah i thought about trying those, even those are pretty much considered hipster mom shoes where i live. they are easy to get on sale here. but they don't have enough padding in the right places, like the tongue. i don't mind the shoes, they look fairly skateable, if not the most durable probably.

vegetarian shoes seem to be made in uk and eu(or ec, european community, whatever they mean with that) but the only vulc model i see, the chuck knock off, is made in sri lanka.

Nicki

« Reply #331 on: September 14, 2020, 07:22:49 PM »
a little bummed they aren't made in eu, that is not to say they will be bad. would have been cool to be able to buy a sweatshop free skateshoe. more info on the factory would be sick. that was a big incentive for me to be excited about them. the shoes themselves are alright, but i'm not super crazy about them.

This.

So all this isn’t happening? That sucks.

“He started his own little thing, sneakers made in Portugal, more expensive stuff. I was randomly sitting in my beach bar chatting to him on Instagram DM. I told him that if he could make me a vulcanised shoe that cost under 100 Euros I would be interested.

Basically he called some connections and told me he had a factory with small minimums at a great price run by nice people. We drew up the first model and within two months we had a sample which was already a very good direction. Like “oh my god this is actually nice”. The best thing about it is we can produce very small minimums so there’s no pressure. With this we can make low quantities, no pressure. It’s very nice to be able to make some shoes and have a small team and start playing around with what you can do as a skate shoe company”.

“Bottom line the product has to be fucking great. That’s what I’ve been focusing on, making a great shoe, a great product. The concept is very simple. Me personally I’m sick and tired of looking down, I don’t want to look down on my feet and see a swoosh or stripes or a star or any of that. I don’t want to be associated with that”.

I think there is a market for people to pay more for a nicer, non-sweatshop shoe. The idea of the shoes being made where Pontus lives was big appeal. I love the Polar made in Portugal clothing. The shoes would have sold well even at a higher price. But, if it’s just made in China/Indonesia/Vietnam (the usual cheap labour used by the big sports) then I’m not interested. I don’t need more cheap shit.

bumpnrun

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 44
    • Fairways & Flips avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #332 on: September 14, 2020, 08:52:18 PM »
menuskateshop insta has some pics

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFI9LC4FAz9/

Junglist

« Reply #333 on: September 14, 2020, 09:54:04 PM »
Expand Quote
I don’t think you can make vulcanized shoes ethically
[close]

Right isn't the glue used illegal in the US because it's so toxic?

I want to say, and I say this with a moronic brain, but that the glue, and synthetic rubber combined with the extreme heat creates a very toxic fume and is only done in places with small to non existent pollution laws. That being said, I think there may be more ethical ways of vulcanization, such as when designer fashion houses have vulcanized shoes and are (maybe) made in Europe; Portugal and Italy being common manufacturers for brands. Probably could not be at skate shoe price points though.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #334 on: September 15, 2020, 07:41:58 AM »
Expand Quote
a little bummed they aren't made in eu, that is not to say they will be bad. would have been cool to be able to buy a sweatshop free skateshoe. more info on the factory would be sick. that was a big incentive for me to be excited about them. the shoes themselves are alright, but i'm not super crazy about them.
[close]

This.

“He started his own little thing, sneakers made in Portugal, more expensive stuff. I was randomly sitting in my beach bar chatting to him on Instagram DM. I told him that if he could make me a vulcanised shoe that cost under 100 Euros I would be interested.

Basically he called some connections and told me he had a factory with small minimums at a great price run by nice people. We drew up the first model and within two months we had a sample which was already a very good direction. Like “oh my god this is actually nice”. The best thing about it is we can produce very small minimums so there’s no pressure. With this we can make low quantities, no pressure. It’s very nice to be able to make some shoes and have a small team and start playing around with what you can do as a skate shoe company”.

“Bottom line the product has to be fucking great. That’s what I’ve been focusing on, making a great shoe, a great product. The concept is very simple. Me personally I’m sick and tired of looking down, I don’t want to look down on my feet and see a swoosh or stripes or a star or any of that. I don’t want to be associated with that”.

I think there is a market for people to pay more for a nicer, non-sweatshop shoe. The idea of the shoes being made where Pontus lives was big appeal. I love the Polar made in Portugal clothing. The shoes would have sold well even at a higher price. But, if it’s just made in China/Indonesia/Vietnam (the usual cheap labour used by the big sports) then I’m not interested. I don’t need more cheap shit.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel too. The only reason this seemed interesting at all was because it was made in Europe, now it's just more of the same. It would be cool if they could produce both at least, maybe a nice cupsole made in Europe.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #335 on: September 15, 2020, 10:25:24 AM »

Foxing height and thickness and toe bumper all look similar to the Huf Classic, which I did not love. Also in that first shot the way that the top of the foxing does those little creases against the suede makes me worried it would do that thing where it lifts away from the suede in triangles at the crease points - Vans pro lines always do that for me.

Of course I’m probably getting too analytical when the production run hasn’t been released yet - wish Pontus the best with this endeavor.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #336 on: September 15, 2020, 11:54:36 AM »
I think adidas came out with a differnt glue/foxing tape that they said was a ‘cold’ Vulc or some shit. The reason you don’t see EVA or other foam midsoles in Vulc is because the heating process of traditional Vulc destroys it.

Glurmpz

« Reply #337 on: September 15, 2020, 12:10:22 PM »
Trendy kids are gonna line up to buy these regardless of the cost or where they're made. Doesn't matter it's just a rip off Converse with that cheap looking sole. 

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #338 on: September 15, 2020, 12:45:48 PM »

Someone please give some washers to that guy in the photo!

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #339 on: September 15, 2020, 12:53:27 PM »
Trendy kids are gonna line up to buy these regardless of the cost or where they're made. Doesn't matter it's just a rip off Converse with that cheap looking sole.
So you don't support a brand new, skater-owned and operated shoe brand?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Free Whirl

• Rep: 3
« Reply #340 on: September 15, 2020, 02:49:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Veja makes a campus lookalike. french company, shoes made in brazil, front like their ethical, kinda corny, $150 for the cup, $140 for a vulc. that's what your looking at for some limited DCs or something (though no one buys those its all flow kids but you know what i mean)
[close]

yeah i thought about trying those, even those are pretty much considered hipster mom shoes where i live. they are easy to get on sale here. but they don't have enough padding in the right places, like the tongue. i don't mind the shoes, they look fairly skateable, if not the most durable probably.

vegetarian shoes seem to be made in uk and eu(or ec, european community, whatever they mean with that) but the only vulc model i see, the chuck knock off, is made in sri lanka.

I can't stand veja shoes because of the sororiety and fraternity bros that wear them on my college campus. But they do seem skateable

Junglist

« Reply #341 on: September 15, 2020, 02:55:42 PM »
I think adidas came out with a differnt glue/foxing tape that they said was a ‘cold’ Vulc or some shit. The reason you don’t see EVA or other foam midsoles in Vulc is because the heating process of traditional Vulc destroys it.
That gives me a lot of personal closure considering I could never figure out how they made the zx adv, and also the sole tech shoes like the theory that had a nice midsole

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #342 on: September 16, 2020, 01:54:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This.

damn, i was hyped for european-produced shoes as well, that actually is a bummer. but we'll see, maybe production sites will be changed in the near future?

is there any word/ rumors on a skate team or?

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #343 on: September 16, 2020, 04:55:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This.

[close]

damn, i was hyped for european-produced shoes as well, that actually is a bummer. but we'll see, maybe production sites will be changed in the near future?

is there any word/ rumors on a skate team or?

I hope so. I think Polar clothes were made in Asia in the beginning, and are now made in Portugal for the most part.
Regarding the team, I think the insta guy who always skates in suits is on.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #344 on: September 16, 2020, 07:20:46 AM »
I'm not an expert, but I believe the only places making vulcanized shoes in the USA through the 90's were in California. CA has significantly stricter environmental laws than most other states, so when the new state level regulations kicked in, that effectively shut down all USA vulcanized sneaker manufacturing.

Car tires are vulcanized, and there are dozens of tire factories in the USA, but definitely none of them in Cali. I don't think environmental laws would preclude manufacturing a vulcanized shoe in the USA, but it would have to be in Detroit or someplace where regulations are weaker.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don’t think you can make vulcanized shoes ethically

[close]

Right isn't the glue used illegal in the US because it's so toxic?
[close]

I want to say, and I say this with a moronic brain, but that the glue, and synthetic rubber combined with the extreme heat creates a very toxic fume and is only done in places with small to non existent pollution laws. That being said, I think there may be more ethical ways of vulcanization, such as when designer fashion houses have vulcanized shoes and are (maybe) made in Europe; Portugal and Italy being common manufacturers for brands. Probably could not be at skate shoe price points though.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #345 on: September 16, 2020, 08:46:34 AM »
I get people being bummed that these aren’t being produced in Portugal, I am too, but saying you’re not going to buy them now...what ethically made shoes are you buying then?

Oh right, you’re not. So how about supporting a brand new skater owned/operated company as opposed to giving more money to fucking Nike or adidas?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

thebacker

« Reply #346 on: September 16, 2020, 08:49:45 AM »
If they skate like the one star cc's did ill be buying alot of these

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #347 on: September 16, 2020, 09:30:27 AM »
pretty dope its vincent huhtas pops in all the ads. cant imagine how laid back he is given his sons style

Glurmpz

« Reply #348 on: September 16, 2020, 09:50:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
So you don't support a brand new, skater-owned and operated shoe brand?

Not if they're just making vulc shoes, or overpriced shoes. Seems like Pontus just wants to make Converse kicks without the logo. No thanks. If he makes something I genuinely like, in a cupsole, and it's priced competitively, maybe. But I'd much rather wear Es' or Emerica over some rip off Cons.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #349 on: September 16, 2020, 12:22:03 PM »
If they skate like the one star cc's did ill be buying alot of these
that was a very good shoe

I get people being bummed that these aren’t being produced in Portugal, I am too, but saying you’re not going to buy them now...what ethically made shoes are you buying then?

Oh right, you’re not. So how about supporting a brand new skater owned/operated company as opposed to giving more money to fucking Nike or adidas?

Lol
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #350 on: September 16, 2020, 12:38:36 PM »
Waiting on the papa roach collab.

Cut my life into pieces
This is my last resort

ungzilla

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #351 on: September 16, 2020, 01:28:06 PM »
pretty dope its vincent huhtas pops in all the ads. cant imagine how laid back he is given his sons style

his son gumby is actually rebelling against his father's rigid and authoritarian jock style

edssexTOY

• Rep: 21
« Reply #352 on: September 16, 2020, 02:58:19 PM »
heard these things are running for $85. more then I like to pay for skate shoes.

"The next time I see those fucking French dudes Vivien is dead!"

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #353 on: September 16, 2020, 11:51:50 PM »
Bad news: the shoes will not be made in Portugal as expected but in Vietnam assuming the boxes pictures shown on Instagram.

The Euro-made skate shoes dream is over, let's hope they will be made in ethical conditions.
I asked about this on their Instagram and they just liked my message...

Anyway, first drop is September 18th with the One Star clone, and hopefully the canvas mid will be in the second drop.
Wait, I’m confused. What about this picture is telling you they’re made in Vietnam? Or is there another post? This is the only one I see with shoe boxes in it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCJ_uISFWJR/

Glurmpz

« Reply #354 on: September 16, 2020, 11:56:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Bad news: the shoes will not be made in Portugal as expected but in Vietnam assuming the boxes pictures shown on Instagram.

The Euro-made skate shoes dream is over, let's hope they will be made in ethical conditions.

Anyway, first drop is September 18th with the One Star clone, and hopefully the canvas mid will be in the second drop.
[close]
Wait, I’m confused. What about this picture is telling you they’re made in Vietnam? Or is there another post? This is the only one I see with shoe boxes in it.

What language is that exit sign in?

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #355 on: September 17, 2020, 12:43:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ah, I see. Thanks for that. I used the zoom feature but mainly just noticed the packaging on the boxes was too small to read.

It’s still strange to me that this is our only evidence that Pontus’ whole vision of Euro made shoes has changed. He discussed already having a Portugal manufacturer set up and how he excited he was about it. But I guess that exit sign is pretty decent evidence of a change occurring as well :o

Nicki

« Reply #356 on: September 17, 2020, 12:49:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ha - well spotted! It’s kinda awkward that the Last Resort AB IG still has the link in bio claiming the shoes are made in Portugal. And they did make samples so all this talk about glues is nonsense, they could make them in Portugal but obvs it costs more than paying pennys in Vietnam.

I think EE with HRS (or even Rone) were onto something by not making more disposable skate shoes, it’s not needed. So why not do something better or different? This isn’t.

This is basically the classic bait and switch.

(Zoom in on boxes)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCWvCFFJCAJ/?igshid=5gd8wcsoczmi

rukes

• Rep: 211
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #357 on: September 17, 2020, 01:40:03 AM »
That logo reminds me of the blue guy from that trapdoor show
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #358 on: September 17, 2020, 01:50:17 AM »
Damn. That box makes it’s pretty official. Bummer. Still gonna try them out

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #359 on: September 17, 2020, 01:56:21 AM »
to be fair, he did not directly state they are going to produced in portugal, did he? only that he knows a guy whos producing stuff in portugal and as long as he gets him shoes under 100$ he's in... I did understand it as all of you nonetheless