Author Topic: "Last Resort AB" Pontus Alv on making skate shoes  (Read 55102 times)

clintendo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
Re: "Last Resort AB" Pontus Alv on making (skate?) shoes
« Reply #360 on: September 17, 2020, 02:02:04 AM »
No shipping to Australia. That counts out approximately 1/3 of Slap. I wonder if shops that have an account with the Polar distro will be able to get these in?

Why thank you for remembering us

No doubt we’ll get torn a new asshole on the price also

DCOTY

• Rep: 5
« Reply #361 on: September 17, 2020, 02:11:26 AM »
Expand Quote
No shipping to Australia. That counts out approximately 1/3 of Slap. I wonder if shops that have an account with the Polar distro will be able to get these in?
[close]

Project is distributing them (which is surprising as they don’t do polar). It seems like majority of shops with a project account are getting them in. They will be out Saturday in Aus.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:23:53 AM by DCOTY »

Nicki

Re: "Last Resort AB" Pontus Alv on making skate shoes
« Reply #362 on: September 17, 2020, 03:14:47 AM »
to be fair, he did not directly state they are going to produced in portugal, did he? only that he knows a guy whos producing stuff in portugal and as long as he gets him shoes under 100$ he's in... I did understand it as all of you nonetheless

Yeah, maybe you’re right. But when I read that interview it didn’t scream sweatshop in Vietnam. I guess that’s the power of marketing/pr. I mean how does what Pontus said below match up with shipping stock back and forth across the world to exploit labour laws for an inferior product. What he said is kinda the opposite to what he did. Hey, I get it, profits/capitalism/business, that’s the world. Everyones doing it, and if you want to compete then you have too. I’m just bummed, I was really psyched on it and bought into and believed what he was saying. It’s just a let down from the build up. I thought it was going to be something different, but it’s just another option of the same (except without the swoosh, stripes, star). I’m sure they’ll be great.

”Right now, one year ago I moved to Portugal, Porto...I’m close to my production, a lot of my Polar stuff is made here around the corner, 40 minutes away. It’s nice to be close to that and have a daily check in. It’s easy, if there’s a problem I just go up there or they come down. They show me the problem and we solve it instead of shipping stuff back and forth to Sweden.

Let’s try and be nice to each other and make this a nice lovable place. Instead we have full on power, capitalism going out of control. It’s not a nice direction where our planet is heading and I think every human on this planet right now is feeling quite anxious about the situation. What the fuck!

Try to be positive, the planet is heading in a dark direction and we humans have to change it on a day to day level. It’s important on a daily level just to be nice to the next man, treat each other well and that’s all. Skate more, try to have fun. Love more, hate less and be fucking blessed that we are here still. Try to cut down your pollutions. Drive less, skate more. Fly less, cycle more. Eat more vegetarian food. Buy vintage or high quality garments. Recycle what you can and support local near by production”

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:44:26 AM by Nicki »

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #363 on: September 17, 2020, 03:38:44 AM »
Lol that little spiel didn't age very well did it.

"Be nice, present yourself as a good person. Care about eachother and animals and the planet. Unless you are starting a shoe company, then fuck everything. Make some money. It is good."

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #365 on: September 17, 2020, 03:48:16 AM »
So he basically took his ethically made friend business and make the exact same shoes for half the price using sweatshops ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

clintendo

• Rep: 24
« Reply #366 on: September 17, 2020, 04:03:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Project is distributing them (which is surprising as they don’t do polar). It seems like majority of shops with a project account are getting them in. They will be out Saturday in Aus.

I’m a bit late to the party as it seems, but good thing my housemate rides for project... bit weird 4128 didn’t pick it up though  ???

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #367 on: September 17, 2020, 04:20:50 AM »
Are all the shoes made in vietnam now? Or maybe just the skate ones? He talked about wanting to make a skate specific shoe with a retail price under 100 euros. Not easy to do that in portugal.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #368 on: September 17, 2020, 05:13:30 AM »
Expand Quote
to be fair, he did not directly state they are going to produced in portugal, did he? only that he knows a guy whos producing stuff in portugal and as long as he gets him shoes under 100$ he's in... I did understand it as all of you nonetheless
[close]

Yeah, maybe you’re right. But when I read that interview it didn’t scream sweatshop in Vietnam. I guess that’s the power of marketing/pr. I mean how does what Pontus said below match up with shipping stock back and forth across the world to exploit labour laws for an inferior product. What he said is kinda the opposite to what he did. Hey, I get it, profits/capitalism/business, that’s the world. Everyones doing it, and if you want to compete then you have too. I’m just bummed, I was really psyched on it and bought into and believed what he was saying. It’s just a let down from the build up. I thought it was going to be something different, but it’s just another option of the same (except without the swoosh, stripes, star). I’m sure they’ll be great.

”Right now, one year ago I moved to Portugal, Porto...I’m close to my production, a lot of my Polar stuff is made here around the corner, 40 minutes away. It’s nice to be close to that and have a daily check in. It’s easy, if there’s a problem I just go up there or they come down. They show me the problem and we solve it instead of shipping stuff back and forth to Sweden.

Let’s try and be nice to each other and make this a nice lovable place. Instead we have full on power, capitalism going out of control. It’s not a nice direction where our planet is heading and I think every human on this planet right now is feeling quite anxious about the situation. What the fuck!

Try to be positive, the planet is heading in a dark direction and we humans have to change it on a day to day level. It’s important on a daily level just to be nice to the next man, treat each other well and that’s all. Skate more, try to have fun. Love more, hate less and be fucking blessed that we are here still. Try to cut down your pollutions. Drive less, skate more. Fly less, cycle more. Eat more vegetarian food. Buy vintage or high quality garments. Recycle what you can and support local near by production”

Im with you in this one, I expected something else as well.. maybe it is just to start the company and later on move production elsewhere?

side note: it just reminded me of this thing with george bush and the (allegedely)existence weapons of mass destruction in iraq. I read somewhere that someone analyzed most of bush's speeches and he allegedely never explicitly stated that the USA attacks iraq because of weapons of mass destruction but only because these aspects are presented next to eachother the human brain builds inferences that are mostly causal resulting in a connection between the iraq war and these weapons.

Nicki

« Reply #369 on: September 17, 2020, 05:48:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Im with you in this one, I expected something else as well.. maybe it is just to start the company and later on move production elsewhere?

side note: it just reminded me of this thing with george bush and the (allegedely)existence weapons of mass destruction in iraq. I read somewhere that someone analyzed most of bush's speeches and he allegedely never explicitly stated that the USA attacks iraq because of weapons of mass destruction but only because these aspects are presented next to eachother the human brain builds inferences that are mostly causal resulting in a connection between the iraq war and these weapons.

Plot twist - Company was started made in Portugal 2+ years ago (see my post above). Peter Bici approved!

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #370 on: September 17, 2020, 05:59:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Plot twist - Company was started made in Portugal 2+ years ago (see my post above). Peter Bici approved!

haha, yes! i meant, 'start' as in accumulate money/ credibility for banks or such

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #371 on: September 17, 2020, 06:37:34 AM »
Was going to post this in the upcoming shoe thread but probably better of here.

Has anyone actually skated Simples? Larry looks like he’s about to fucking rip. Sick pants too.

Need a photoshop of him on a board ASAP. Who’s up to the task?

These sort of look like an Era Pro fucked a Simple and skidoo'd outta there to avoid being responsible for this child.

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #372 on: September 17, 2020, 07:40:07 AM »

Has anyone actually skated Simples? Larry looks like he’s about to fucking rip. Sick pants too.

Expand Quote
These sort of look like an Era Pro fucked a Simple and skidoo'd outta there to avoid being responsible for this child.
[close]

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #373 on: September 17, 2020, 07:53:50 AM »

Yea I mean like recently, anyone on slap.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #374 on: September 17, 2020, 06:48:47 PM »
seasons has them listed on their site for $85 and as "coming soon"

https://seasonsskateshop.bigcartel.com/
good come sausage

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #375 on: September 17, 2020, 08:13:40 PM »
Sorry, yeah same here. I'd love to know if they're actually decent to skate in. Same with Airwalks. Who knows, they look the same but are made out of who knows what.

Expand Quote

[close]

Nicki

« Reply #376 on: September 17, 2020, 08:37:51 PM »
Sorry, yeah same here. I'd love to know if they're actually decent to skate in. Same with Airwalks. Who knows, they look the same but are made out of who knows what.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m keen to try them for sure. They look great, good reviews and price - mids look comfy as (under $60 with firstorder 20% discount).

https://simpleshoes.com/collections/sale/products/retro-91-mid-black

Works for Julien...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7tZKhCFx39/?igshid=q7rwto1ytvj3

And this guy! Fuck, if you can kick around a longboard then Im sure they’ll be fine!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-uIG6_p9UU/?igshid=1e1tk36rsgxmy

Nicki

« Reply #377 on: September 18, 2020, 03:10:25 AM »

They’re up. $85/£70/€82. https://www.lastresortab.com/

• Suede Upper
• Canvas Lining
• PU Collar
• Rubber Sole & Foxing
• Cotton Laces
• Made in Vietnam

Not for me, but I hope people like them and sells well.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #378 on: September 18, 2020, 04:16:47 AM »
Bought myself a black pair and some socks.

Had to.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

JohnOakley

• Rep: -6
« Reply #379 on: September 18, 2020, 04:55:32 AM »
All the stuff about being skater owned, ethically produced (maybe not now it's Vietnam production) and a good fight that needs taking to the big boys aside.... (all things I'm stoked on)

They're still just regular skate shoes. Like 70% of the shoes out there, they're Vans basically. And not having a logo that can be easily seen in footage and photos is damn near suicidal. Unless you have very, very regular content of your own coming out (which I doubt there's budget for) then your shoes are unrecognisable in all the other edits that they could crop up in.

"Are they Vans maybe?" Goes to Vans store.

Not having your shoes do their own marketing in other companies edits is something that the most of the existing shoe brands have mastered. Go watch virtually any edit out now that doesn't belong to a shoe brand and you'll see swooshes, 3 stripes, Vans wavy line thing, Lakai's Flare, etc, etc. All those are helping those brand get seen over and over again. These shoes are practically invisible.

But, I hope it works out. This is just my observation.
"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll have a look"

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #380 on: September 18, 2020, 05:14:23 AM »
All the stuff about being skater owned, ethically produced (maybe not now it's Vietnam production) and a good fight that needs taking to the big boys aside.... (all things I'm stoked on)

They're still just regular skate shoes. Like 70% of the shoes out there, they're Vans basically. And not having a logo that can be easily seen in footage and photos is damn near suicidal. Unless you have very, very regular content of your own coming out (which I doubt there's budget for) then your shoes are unrecognisable in all the other edits that they could crop up in.

Not having your shoes do their own marketing in other companies edits is something that the most of the existing shoe brands have mastered. Go watch virtually any edit out now that doesn't belong to a shoe brand and you'll see swooshes, 3 stripes, Vans wavy line thing, Lakai's Flare, etc, etc. All those are helping those brand get seen over and over again. These shoes are practically invisible.

There's a market for those who just can't bear logo shoes in skate videos anymore. At least I know people regularly bring it up and myself I've been part of that demographic for years. In my opinion it just pollutes the skating and turns what could be interesting footage into a bland commercial (which is a fine step to take but then you lose me and many others), when business ties are too obvious the sincerity of a production is diminished, and most skaters still want to see sincerity in footage whether or not they intellectualize it. When I see videos chockfull of folks in Nikes, Vans or Adidas that look like they were designed to scream nothing but brand name on footage, part of me can't help but register it as orchestrated and feel like I'm watching some sort of Zumiez production that's completely disconnected from the relatable realities of daily skateboarding by the people. I don't think I'm the only one and if anything I'm observing that skaters in general are growing tired of obnoxious logos and aggressive marketing general again - it's up to those brands to catch up, I think Pontus is the one up to date here. A lot of classic, popular skate shoes were recognizable by their silhouette only and didn't feature prominent logos, in a sense those are actually bad marketing if you're trying to cater to skateboarders and not mall kids, and also a sign of weakness somewhere in the actual product if that's what the brand has got to rely on.

Kinda bummed about the possible production relocation too, a lot of the appeal of this to me was the made-in-Europe thing too. On the other hand it's still a Pontus project and the man has always been avant-garde, so it'll probably retain my interest still. I guess just wait and see.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #381 on: September 18, 2020, 05:29:23 AM »

Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
My first skate shoes were Simple. I distinctly remember nagging my mom to buy them because of this Gonz ad.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #382 on: September 18, 2020, 05:31:22 AM »

Had to.

Soooo give us some report asap! How is the insole? Do they fit as narrow as they look?

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #383 on: September 18, 2020, 05:53:22 AM »
And not having a logo that can be easily seen in footage and photos is damn near suicidal.

Nah, logos are horrible. There's some great footage that's a bit hard to stomach for me because it's full of swooshes and giant N's and stripes.

People will eat these up because of the Pontus association and Polar is one of the trendiest companies around.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #384 on: September 18, 2020, 05:56:18 AM »
Expand Quote

Had to.
[close]

Soooo give us some report asap! How is the insole? Do they fit as narrow as they look?

The only thing I can report about is that they are 82€ on their web but 80€ on every retailer website.

Have I been ripped off?
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #385 on: September 18, 2020, 06:01:23 AM »
No size 13 which sucks. Seems like 12 the biggest

JohnOakley

• Rep: -6
« Reply #386 on: September 18, 2020, 06:14:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There's a market for those who just can't bear logo shoes in skate videos anymore. At least I know people regularly bring it up and myself I've been part of that demographic for years. In my opinion it just pollutes the skating and turns what could be interesting footage into a bland commercial (which is a fine step to take but then you lose me and many others), when business ties are too obvious the sincerity of a production is diminished, and most skaters still want to see sincerity in footage whether or not they intellectualize it. When I see videos chockfull of folks in Nikes, Vans or Adidas that look like they were designed to scream nothing but brand name on footage, part of me can't help but register it as orchestrated and feel like I'm watching some sort of Zumiez production that's completely disconnected from the relatable realities of daily skateboarding by the people. I don't think I'm the only one and if anything I'm observing that skaters in general are growing tired of obnoxious logos and aggressive marketing general again - it's up to those brands to catch up, I think Pontus is the one up to date here. A lot of classic, popular skate shoes were recognizable by their silhouette only and didn't feature prominent logos, in a sense those are actually bad marketing if you're trying to cater to skateboarders and not mall kids, and also a sign of weakness somewhere in the actual product if that's what the brand has got to rely on.

Kinda bummed about the possible production relocation too, a lot of the appeal of this to me was the made-in-Europe thing too. On the other hand it's still a Pontus project and the man has always been avant-garde, so it'll probably retain my interest still. I guess just wait and see.

Not here to beef, just discuss but I think you have a rose tinted idea of how and why skateboard media exists. In a nutshell, it's almost ALL marketing. Mags, videos, IG accounts are all trying to sell you something. Always have, ever since the dawn of the business.

Haven't you ever noticed that teams are organised by brands and not geography or some other factor? We're all used to there being a Zero team, a Polar team, a Vans team, an OJ team, etc. There's no Denver team or Miami team - teams in skateboarding don't exist for anything other than marketing for a brand.

And magazines don't just happen to have an interview with just any old skater for the most part - that person is in there for several reasons but a big one is because the brand/s he or she rides for advertises in that mag. Same with the websites where you watch your favourite edits. I realise this isn't a hard and fast rule but you know it's true for the most part.

It's possible that on any given day that the edits you'll see on Thrasher or elsewhere are mostly produced or funded by a brand. Right now there's Herman's Baker 4 part, Lucas Puig's new Adidas part, John Gardner's OJ part and yes there are also some, what you might call 'indie' videos up there today too but in this day and age it's highly likely that some company's money went into paying for a plane ticket or a hotel room for somebody in those vids. I realise that scene vids exist to support and hype the scene but many feature people who are sponsored at a flow level at the very least - which of course is still marketing.

You say that most edits you see look like orchestrated marketing efforts - and they are, it's obvious. The whole of the skateboard media in all it's many forms is one big marketing push.  The majority of what you see in photos and edits today isn't just for the culture, it's an advertisement. Has been since at least the 70's and 80s. You'd be hard pressed to find ANY video or magazine editorial that doesn't feature a logo on somebody, it's how skateboarding has been designed and refined over several decades. You'll have a hard time trying to find a logo-free, marketing-free, just-for-the-culture world of skateboarding - somebody wants to sell you something!

Kind of ironic that we're discussing a shoe brand with no big logos and how that's refreshing when actually, they're still trying to sell you some shoes  ;)
"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll have a look"

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #387 on: September 18, 2020, 06:32:07 AM »
Almost pulled the trigger on the green pair until i realized its $25 shipping to the US smh

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #388 on: September 18, 2020, 07:02:22 AM »
Almost pulled the trigger on the green pair until i realized its $25 shipping to the US smh

Go to the black sheep shop website, free shipping over $80 in the US. I got a black pair.
https://blacksheepskateshop.com/collections/latest
They ship super fast too.

TheDingus

« Reply #389 on: September 18, 2020, 07:08:43 AM »
Fuck these things look awful. Narrow. Those laces! What the fuck? Someone bring back Dukes and make the first Jeremy Wray shoe stat.