Author Topic: favorite philly spots  (Read 5315 times)

drewsmahgoos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
favorite philly spots
« on: January 30, 2020, 09:52:55 AM »
Done a lot more drugs than skateboarding in Philadelphia. Wondering what everyone's favorites are. I used to cop out there so I'm in no way worried about the hood. I know thereare some decent spots in the badlands but I'm curious about the whole city.

Sorry, I'm sure this thread is unoriginal but what isn't nowadays anyway.

BrianF

• Rep: 0
Re: favorite philly spots
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 06:01:27 AM »
I have a kid that goes to college near there and started looking into it.  I've also done my share of subtances, including the really warm and pleasant ones.

I don't know much about street spots, but I do know that some downtown areas are now totally off limits, including the Love Park area.  It's actually listed in some kind of criminal code.  If your search for "legal skateboarding Philadelphia" or something like that you can find the legal info and the exact places where it is specifically prohibited.

FDR skatepark is the big standout in the area.  It's predominantly big bowl type transition skating, but there is a small amount of DIY street stuff as well.  The place was built by locals and can feel pretty territorial.  Someone might want to check it out earlier in the day when it seems to be less busy, especially if you want to skate a lot aren't good enough to earn some respect quickly.

There are some other skateparks that show up on Google Maps, but nothing that I've seen was particulary nice or impressive.

My advice to anyone looking for good streets spots would be to hang around FDR and try to make some local contacts.  Like I said, FDR can get a bit rough at times, but with the right background and attitude you shouldn't feel too out of place.  That's gonna be the doorway to the Philly scene.

Just don't end up getting yourself into trouble, which might be a real possibility if you enter that world.  Certain kinds of places and people have a way of stirring up certain kinds of feelings.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 06:38:07 AM by BrianF »

JohnnySaintLethal

• Rep: 13
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 03:40:00 PM »
Just go hang out at muni or Cecil

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 05:03:36 PM »
Under the bridge at 2nd and Indiana........

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 08:44:55 AM »

I prefer fairhill and cambria.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 05:37:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is that in east Philly or on 14th street?

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 12:04:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

lol, I think you're joking. Pretty sure you are.

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -78
  • JACKASS
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 08:45:51 AM »
I have a kid that goes to college near there and started looking into it.  I've also done my share of subtances, including the really warm and pleasant ones.

I don't know much about street spots, but I do know that some downtown areas are now totally off limits, including the Love Park area.  It's actually listed in some kind of criminal code.  If your search for "legal skateboarding Philadelphia" or something like that you can find the legal info and the exact places where it is specifically prohibited.

FDR skatepark is the big standout in the area.  It's predominantly big bowl type transition skating, but there is a small amount of DIY street stuff as well.  The place was built by locals and can feel pretty territorial.  Someone might want to check it out earlier in the day when it seems to be less busy, especially if you want to skate a lot aren't good enough to earn some respect quickly.

There are some other skateparks that show up on Google Maps, but nothing that I've seen was particulary nice or impressive.

My advice to anyone looking for good streets spots would be to hang around FDR and try to make some local contacts.  Like I said, FDR can get a bit rough at times, but with the right background and attitude you shouldn't feel too out of place.  That's gonna be the doorway to the Philly scene.

Just don't end up getting yourself into trouble, which might be a real possibility if you enter that world.  Certain kinds of places and people have a way of stirring up certain kinds of feelings.

WHAT NOT TO DO PART 1

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -78
  • JACKASS
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 08:48:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
WHAT TO DO PART 1

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 09:14:00 AM »
all those old crusty spots on American Ave, NWP i think. i dont know what that area even looks like now (ive only been back to Philly at night to paint a couple times in the last decade) but 10+ years it was so lit over there. up near ghetto bank so it was pretty hood/industrial/ungentrified too at the time. the red bump to wallride freddy skated and Matt Daniels obliterated, that bugged blue/cement bump that wenning and pluhowski had ads on, the flat gap to steep banks, all freddy spots actually.

i gotta get down there one day soon. ive always joked that philly is stuck in time. place feels like nyc in the 90s, with newport ads from the 90s still rocking.

plus philly graff is some of the best shit in the country regardless of what people who like coloring book graffiti murals say. luh dat wicket shit when its done correctly.

that one spot that was right on the tracks NEP i think, basically a block long angle iron ledge on a loading dock type beat with an awning. chilled there in the rain for hours once one day smoking hella weed with the bronze buddies. good shit.

free max b
FREE MAX B

thebacker

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 05:09:55 AM »
all those old crusty spots on American Ave, NWP i think. i dont know what that area even looks like now (ive only been back to Philly at night to paint a couple times in the last decade) but 10+ years it was so lit over there. up near ghetto bank so it was pretty hood/industrial/ungentrified too at the time. the red bump to wallride freddy skated and Matt Daniels obliterated, that bugged blue/cement bump that wenning and pluhowski had ads on, the flat gap to steep banks, all freddy spots actually.

i gotta get down there one day soon. ive always joked that philly is stuck in time. place feels like nyc in the 90s, with newport ads from the 90s still rocking.

plus philly graff is some of the best shit in the country regardless of what people who like coloring book graffiti murals say. luh dat wicket shit when its done correctly.

that one spot that was right on the tracks NEP i think, basically a block long angle iron ledge on a loading dock type beat with an awning. chilled there in the rain for hours once one day smoking hella weed with the bronze buddies. good shit.

free max b
I’m so bummed train ledges got torn down :/

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 07:47:18 AM »
Just go to Rizzo rink and skate garbage.

The ground is smooth and there's probably a cool looking rock or milk crate or pallet you can skate. It's covered so it's not super bad if it rains although it can create a pretty wild pond at the end. It's behind a beer store, a pho place and a dunkin donuts. There's pillars you can wallie. I used to live down the street and skate there all the time. It's my favorite spot. Aside from friends, family and food, rizzo rink is probably what I miss the most from Philly.

You can also play basketball if you don't feel like skating.

thebacker

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 08:55:12 AM »
Don’t go to paines

jerrygurneyscream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 09:48:15 AM »
Zoo banks

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 10:19:31 AM »

The ground is smooth and there's probably a cool looking rock or milk crate or pallet you can skate. It's covered so it's not super bad if it rains although it can create a pretty wild pond at the end. It's behind a beer store, a pho place and a dunkin donuts. There's pillars you can wallie. I used to live down the street and skate there all the time. It's my favorite spot. Aside from friends, family and food, rizzo rink is probably what I miss the most from Philly.

You can always watch a good pick up soccer game in the hockey rink right next to it too.

Gritty

• Rep: 2
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 01:22:24 PM »

Iirc, there's a really crusty manny pad directly next to that dunks kind of in front of the rink. Also, around that area near the vet er there is a loading dock / 6 stair handrail. Somewhere around 20th and tasker there is a weird small bump that you can gap into the ramp that leads up to a bump to bar. Was recently in a vid on thrasher, forget which one but I can dig up. There's a ton of super unknown crust spots in grey's ferry, they might be well known now idk. Been a while since I've been home, last I heard up to 25th was gentrified so you could be getting yelled at by yuppies for all I know. There's a ton of ledges and benches at the library on broad with the basketball court behind it. Also in that immediate area there is a window ledge by the first union (???) bank, somewhere around wolf. There's a little bank to ledge chill spot near the cvs around 12 steps down... I could go on. I got so much love in my heart for South Philly.

thebacker

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 03:26:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Iirc, there's a really crusty manny pad directly next to that dunks kind of in front of the rink. Also, around that area near the vet er there is a loading dock / 6 stair handrail. Somewhere around 20th and tasker there is a weird small bump that you can gap into the ramp that leads up to a bump to bar. Was recently in a vid on thrasher, forget which one but I can dig up. There's a ton of super unknown crust spots in grey's ferry, they might be well known now idk. Been a while since I've been home, last I heard up to 25th was gentrified so you could be getting yelled at by yuppies for all I know. There's a ton of ledges and benches at the library on broad with the basketball court behind it. Also in that immediate area there is a window ledge by the first union (???) bank, somewhere around wolf. There's a little bank to ledge chill spot near the cvs around 12 steps down... I could go on. I got so much love in my heart for South Philly.

There’s a skatepark esque bump to bar on front and tree st

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 04:49:47 PM »
Don’t go to paines

Every once in a while I’ll have a good time there but it’s such a piece of crap. And double fuck that place when bikes are there.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 09:14:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You can always watch a good pick up soccer game in the hockey rink right next to it too.

Yeah you can. Always looks like they're having a good time.

One time this homeless old guy came up to me there with a knife and didn't threaten me or anything he just asked if I could help him close it. I remember thinking that was sort of silly.

Rizzo Rink Appreciation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOmNJppNrF4

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 09:17:11 AM »
title 10

themeangreen

• Rep: -75
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 09:25:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

One time this homeless old guy came up to me there with a knife and didn't threaten me or anything he just asked if I could help him close it. I remember thinking that was sort of silly.

Rizzo Rink Appreciation

wooo get some Billy!!

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2020, 10:57:26 AM »
haha thanks!

thebacker

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2020, 11:08:26 AM »
Billy you tha goat, if only there was a quarter there to show off the 1 foot rocks

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 02:00:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

http://youtu.be/xs-s3BOLuP4?t=299 this one? I'd say there's a more skatepark esque one in Grey's ferry.

JohnnySaintLethal

• Rep: 13
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 04:43:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

http://youtu.be/xs-s3BOLuP4?t=299 this one? I'd say there's a more skatepark esque one in Grey's ferry.

Yeah that’s the one he’s talking about I live right by it. I think rob puhlowski kickflipped it in a video I don’t remember.

Which one in greys ferry?

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2020, 08:52:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Rizzo Rink Appreciation

I usually skate the curbs at front and Washington or Target spot ledge instead of Rizzo but pop over every once and a while. wonder if we've ever run into each other haha.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2020, 10:21:21 AM »
Just skate around, there's "spots" everywhere. 9th and poplar is also always solid as long as you're not a kook. Baldi way up north if you feel like getting buck. Ledges on broad and oregon are pretty solid and never crowded. Really depends on what part of the city you live in. Penn campus is nice but a bust if you're out west, buncha random spots around drexel campus too.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 12:25:15 PM »
title 10
Still upset I never got to skate there.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 01:30:34 PM »
Just skate around, there's "spots" everywhere. 9th and poplar is also always solid as long as you're not a kook. Baldi way up north if you feel like getting buck. Ledges on broad and oregon are pretty solid and never crowded. Really depends on what part of the city you live in. Penn campus is nice but a bust if you're out west, buncha random spots around drexel campus too.

9th and poplar is always solid if you're running 58mm soft cruiser wheels

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 04:26:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

9th and poplar is always solid if you're running 58mm soft cruiser wheels

or looking to shoot up