Author Topic: favorite philly spots  (Read 5319 times)

themeangreen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -75
Re: favorite philly spots
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2020, 01:42:10 PM »
The spot for hoagies is Liberty Kitchen in No Libs, Poe's Sandwich joint in the same area, Mike and Matt's for the best classic italian/ old school experience right off passyunk and Mifflin in south Philly and right next door is Artisan Boulanger for killer banmi's, croissants ect... they bake their own bread and make some amazing things there.

I rolled around with some friends the other night on my bike b/c my ankle is still messed up. They skated a bunch of the classic stuff around Center City and it doesn't seem like security is going too hard rn. They got a long session in on that big kink rail on 5th n Market as well as the ledge to drop across the street. There was hardly any people around and very little police. According to my neighbor who's a detective they're only policing heavily during the protests and are putting hate crimes and political stuff on the top of the list, which apparently there's a lot of. There's 17 instances around the city where Trump supporters out there throwing balloons filled with bleach and other things at black people around the city from rooftops and yelling they're gonna kill all N*****s. Take this info for what you will.

Also not mentioned the Afro banks are still skateable after some very kind soul broke the fence around it. Down for a meet up in about a week and a 1/2 when my ankle is done healing. 

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2020, 07:24:48 AM »
Has anyone skated the banks in a playground off of clearfield, right by the kfc on broad st? If you follow clearfield on the side where the kfc is  there's a park with some sweet banks around there but I never got a chance to look at the run up to them or anything.

I know it's fairly ghetto around  there but it's not a drug corner or anything.

On a side note, I was walking down somerset ave, going to places I shouldn't be going the other week and got sucker punched in the ear by some random kid. He ran off so shit didn't pop off but it really burned me out. I had a knife on me, I have felonies so I can't posses a firearm legally but there was a pistol in the car I was with. Shit really got to me as I was just minding my own business. Not to sound like some billy badass or anything but 21 year old me would've cut the kid. I'm actually really happy I'm not like that anymore though. Fighting sucks after you've had to fight for your life for real and it's not something I go looking to do anymore.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 399
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2020, 07:26:47 AM »
The spot for hoagies is Liberty Kitchen in No Libs, Poe's Sandwich joint in the same area, Mike and Matt's for the best classic italian/ old school experience right off passyunk and Mifflin in south Philly and right next door is Artisan Boulanger for killer banmi's, croissants ect... they bake their own bread and make some amazing things there.

I rolled around with some friends the other night on my bike b/c my ankle is still messed up. They skated a bunch of the classic stuff around Center City and it doesn't seem like security is going too hard rn. They got a long session in on that big kink rail on 5th n Market as well as the ledge to drop across the street. There was hardly any people around and very little police. According to my neighbor who's a detective they're only policing heavily during the protests and are putting hate crimes and political stuff on the top of the list, which apparently there's a lot of. There's 17 instances around the city where Trump supporters out there throwing balloons filled with bleach and other things at black people around the city from rooftops and yelling they're gonna kill all N*****s. Take this info for what you will.

Also not mentioned the Afro banks are still skateable after some very kind soul broke the fence around it. Down for a meet up in about a week and a 1/2 when my ankle is done healing.

Shout out to you for this one. Best relatively unknown spot in south Philly, it's right by my house. Just a note you gotta get there early because once they sell out for the day they're done. Could be 11am or could be 3pm haha

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2020, 07:31:28 AM »

Where are the banks? I'm constantly looking for bank spots.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2020, 07:43:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Where are the banks? I'm constantly looking for bank spots.

7th and arch, but it's not exactly the easiest thing to skate so have fun.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2020, 08:14:03 AM »
Has anyone skated the banks in a playground off of clearfield, right by the kfc on broad st? If you follow clearfield on the side where the kfc is  there's a park with some sweet banks around there but I never got a chance to look at the run up to them or anything.

On a side note, I was walking down somerset ave, going to places I shouldn't be going the other week and got sucker punched in the ear by some random kid. He ran off so shit didn't pop off but it really burned me out. I had a knife on me, I have felonies so I can't posses a firearm legally but there was a pistol in the car I was with. Shit really got to me as I was just minding my own business. Not to sound like some billy badass or anything but 21 year old me would've cut the kid. I'm actually really happy I'm not like that anymore though. Fighting sucks after you've had to fight for your life for real and it's not something I go looking to do anymore.

Thats the ghetto banks. Youve definitely seen that spot in videos. Its a cool spot, big banks little banks gaps wallrides. lotsa stuff. Tried to go to the zoo banks while i was down there a couple weeks ago. Had a local dude recruit some homeless guy to tell us not to climb the fence to skate it. Very wack

Robby

• Rep: 15
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2020, 09:00:22 AM »
Add another to the Artisan Boulanger praise. I live a few blocks from there and don’t eat meat, so their tofu banh mi is my go to when I eat out. Hardena isn’t far away on the other side of broad and has some great Indonesian food, veggie and non.

Also - any decent places in south philly under a bridge or anything to leave ramps and stuff? I made a kicker out of some spare plywood and pallet wood at work. I was gonna keep it in my bands practice space and use it on rainy days on the floor above in the warehouse, but that place has gotten even more sketch than usual during covid and I’m pulling out. I have enough stuff around for a grind box too, but haven’t bothered cus I don’t have anywhere to put stuff.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2020, 09:25:07 AM »
Add another to the Artisan Boulanger praise. I live a few blocks from there and don’t eat meat, so their tofu banh mi is my go to when I eat out. Hardena isn’t far away on the other side of broad and has some great Indonesian food, veggie and non.

Also - any decent places in south philly under a bridge or anything to leave ramps and stuff? I made a kicker out of some spare plywood and pallet wood at work. I was gonna keep it in my bands practice space and use it on rainy days on the floor above in the warehouse, but that place has gotten even more sketch than usual during covid and I’m pulling out. I have enough stuff around for a grind box too, but haven’t bothered cus I don’t have anywhere to put stuff.

We've been building out a DIY spot partially under the bridge across the street from Target, you can't miss it. We used to have it fully under the bridge but it got bought and fenced up. We've had it going for about 7-8 months now, feel free to stop down and check it out and see if you'd want to bring/build some more stuff down there.

You can try leaving stuff at Rizzo which is fully covered but things tend to not last long over there as it's technically a public basketball court.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2020, 02:44:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thats the ghetto banks. Youve definitely seen that spot in videos. Its a cool spot, big banks little banks gaps wallrides. lotsa stuff. Tried to go to the zoo banks while i was down there a couple weeks ago. Had a local dude recruit some homeless guy to tell us not to climb the fence to skate it. Very wack

Thanks guys. I just walked around the spot on Apple Maps and was able to see the hips from Clearfield. That area looks like a ghost town. Then I walked to Allegheny Ave and was thinking of walking down to Lee St to check out the herb gate, but my fingers got tired.

Okay, what about the spot that has ledges on a bank. Is that in Philly. It started popping up in videos around 2002-2004 ish. I always wanted to skate it, but now I’m just curious to know where it is.

See 1:38

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RrRaiir3qvk

Anyone ever skate the metal cone in the South Philly park that Ricky hit? I could have sworn the run up was rubber tile. Ricky could generate speed with the best.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 02:53:23 PM by GardenSkater77 »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2020, 03:18:26 PM »
I think the big bank is Baldi playground in the NE.

The cone thing is a Dickinson Square but is now surrounded by dirt. I don’t know how it was ever skateable - it’s a 45+ degree angle bank.

If you ever wanted to know what that spot was like, lean a 7’ board against a 5’ wall. Done.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:24:39 PM by Willie »

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2020, 06:38:45 PM »
I’m from Baltimore but I get up to Philly to skate a few times a year but last time I was up there I was skating a ledge spot and a dude was rub bricking the curbs in the parking lot and I was like “that dude has to be on slap” but I didn’t want to bother him as he was trying to keep it low key. But thanks for your service if your on here

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2020, 07:08:54 PM »
I’m from Baltimore but I get up to Philly to skate a few times a year but last time I was up there I was skating a ledge spot and a dude was rub bricking the curbs in the parking lot and I was like “that dude has to be on slap” but I didn’t want to bother him as he was trying to keep it low key. But thanks for your service if your on here

Were you at Pops in Philly the other day?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2020, 07:14:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nah I was at those Venice island ledges but this was at the start of covid

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2020, 07:28:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I gotcha, I was there complaining about roller skaters to a guy who said he visits Philly from Md the other day and didn’t know if that was you

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2020, 05:45:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Anyone ever skate the metal cone in the South Philly park that Ricky hit? I could have sworn the run up was rubber tile. Ricky could generate speed with the best.

Yeah it's in a park near moyamensing and tasker. It's absolutely garbage run up bc correct, rubber tile. A ton of people have gotten tricks on it but you're basically skating a filmer board to make it happen haha.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2020, 06:36:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I gotcha, I was there complaining about roller skaters to a guy who said he visits Philly from Md the other day and didn’t know if that was you
Hahah while it sounds on brand for me it wasn’t. Woulda been sick though

Robby

• Rep: 15
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2020, 05:23:31 AM »
Finally moved my shit out of my practice space so I dropped that ramp off at the target DIY. Wedged it behind one of the pillars cus were supposed to get rain. Place looks fun, definitely gonna stop in there some time.

If it sucks or it’s just getting too jacked up sitting outside I can leave it at 9 and poplar or something.

Spunkchild

• Rep: 38
  • Big gal
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2020, 08:44:56 AM »
my favorite spot is the banks on UPenns campus, across the way from the ice rink. Empty most of the time, grind-able/slide-able. you can skate the bank like a ledge because its pretty steep, there are progressively bigger ones, and its near some other west/uni city spots. I am also a huge fan of the big baby blue weird wooden thing near 40th and lancaster, if you dont know what im talking about please go out there and peep
I have bad taste and I smell like fetta cheese

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2020, 02:41:35 PM »
Finally moved my shit out of my practice space so I dropped that ramp off at the target DIY. Wedged it behind one of the pillars cus were supposed to get rain. Place looks fun, definitely gonna stop in there some time.

If it sucks or it’s just getting too jacked up sitting outside I can leave it at 9 and poplar or something.

We'll let you know.
Follow up. It's pretty fun as a bump to can launch.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 03:45:30 PM by Carrolls Chesthairs »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2020, 05:55:35 PM »
my favorite spot is the banks on UPenns campus, across the way from the ice rink. Empty most of the time, grind-able/slide-able. you can skate the bank like a ledge because its pretty steep, there are progressively bigger ones, and its near some other west/uni city spots. I am also a huge fan of the big baby blue weird wooden thing near 40th and lancaster, if you dont know what im talking about please go out there and peep

The ones on the parking garage on Walnut?

I used to skate the ground level steps at the ice rink. No one was ever there or gave a shit. Wasn’t a great spot but was the only one on campus I never got kicked out of. The bigger ones weren’t especially big but it felt like an achievement doing anything on them because you had to ollie before the expansion joint. The smaller ones out back had a ledge/loading dock kind of thing but they eventually fucked up with chains.

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2020, 08:38:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I used to skate the ground level steps at the ice rink. No one was ever there or gave a shit. Wasn’t a great spot but was the only one on campus I never got kicked out of. The bigger ones weren’t especially big but it felt like an achievement doing anything on them because you had to ollie before the expansion joint. The smaller ones out back had a ledge/loading dock kind of thing but they eventually fucked up with chains.

those parking garage ones on walnut are super fun. skated 'em a few weekends ago and got a trick on the bigger ones. pretty stoked.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2020, 07:11:45 PM »
Went to that diy behind target, thanks to the poster who said something about it and whoever put the time in to get those curbs going. Had a good time

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2020, 07:48:25 AM »
Went to that diy behind target, thanks to the poster who said something about it and whoever put the time in to get those curbs going. Had a good time

sick, glad to hear!

Spunkchild

• Big gal
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2020, 04:23:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

thats them!

Spunkchild

• Big gal
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2020, 04:26:42 PM »
If anyone has a mellow five set in or around center city I really wanna try and do a line soon. Thanks for the spot recs folks.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2020, 05:31:50 PM »
First center city 5 stair to come to mind:

At the corner of 4th and Lombard. The brick landing is not ideal, but the stairs are decently steep so it's easy to clear.

This is a 5 stair too. Does this thing still exist? I don't think I've been down there since they renovated city hall.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 06:04:14 PM by childhood »

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2020, 03:39:20 PM »
there's a good 5 set at 14th and broad DH

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2020, 07:14:42 AM »
there's a good 5 set at 14th and broad DH

LOL

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2020, 03:14:35 AM »
Man the ledges off of broad and (I think oregon) look like fun. I see em every time I am out that way.

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2020, 05:28:08 AM »
Yeah, they're okay. I used to skate them a lot when I was living with my grandmom by there when I was younger.

This kinda classic spot is basically on Oregon too, but further east, like across from the Oregon diner: