Author Topic: Has the attitude towards females being known as groupies really changed?  (Read 25591 times)

Rollininpretty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -36
I’m happy that skateboarding has come some way in supporting females more. I’ve seen more companies representing girls.
The elitist/superior attitude that men are better has started to change. More woman should skate and shouldn’t feel intimidated.
I never liked how rape and domestic violence were promoted from some cos. It shows disrespect for woman. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/09/enjoi-skateboards-pull-ads-protest
Some companies even promote girls being groupies and being weak in nature.

Today mainstream skate culture still considers  attractive females to be groupies.
Without being said, I’ve experienced some of the attitude in my years of skating. Things such as being called a groupie or prostitute and targeted for harassment And violent behavior. Being good at skating does not justify abusive behavior towards females. It is disgusting seeing any guy mistreat a woman.
Spoke with others in my community who were concerned but some of the skaters themselves pretend to be good people to the general public. It’s hard for anyone to suspect this. Also difficult to prove if done behind closed doors.
 I think some people think it’s ok to refer to girls as hoes. They may even say they support females. There’s still some aspect of people thinking it’s ok to offend females. I do not think approving of this kind of behavior is ok. Females are not trying to be used and abused. We are not property. We deserve respect in our efforts to skate. Its malicious being sexualized or seen as inferior.
Others I know have thought nothing of me being targeted for this.

Christie New York
@prettiestmess_
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:25:52 PM by Rollininpretty »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1198
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: The change of supporting females
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 03:20:20 PM »
Sing it loud, sing it proud sister.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Secomprancolchones

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 03:26:14 PM »
It’s funny that this post will offend or make somebody uncomfortable

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 03:37:54 PM »
share a part with me in a happy medium 6 bb

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 04:27:28 PM »
I'm so happy you're back, Christie. We've missed you tremendously. You tell 'em, sister.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3327
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 04:29:46 PM »
Women who skate ALWAYS get me so stoked. I don't give a shit if a girl is only using it to cruise around or is out there getting tricks, I think it's rad as hell.

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 04:30:58 PM »
eye opening.....this changed me.
9/11 was a national tragedy

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 04:34:21 PM »

Ocelot

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 04:36:16 PM »
lol, don't you hate other girl skaters yourself?

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 04:46:59 PM »
I'm a older skater who always says what's up to everyone at the park, it's been sick to see more girls coming out and skating recently. I always make sure that they feel welcomed

I do hate people that skate around in headphones and act to cool to say hi. I never understood that. I liked Mike V's interview on the 9 Club, even though he gets too preachy sometimes.

"Skate with Me, not against me"

lesserredpanda

• Rep: 15
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 04:47:40 PM »
Kinda sucks that Louie is the dude pictured in the example. I know he's done a lot to push Samarria Brevard's career.

Squidbeeksmuth

• Rep: -297
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 04:49:17 PM »
Welcome to America Christie, the home of the free! Now with your 144 posts it would be awesome to push through the barriers and make your first post that doesnt involve womanism.
"get fucked, racist red pill incel scum" - Nice lil outrage bro, 4 more years

Escape Hell

• Rep: 26
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 04:55:23 PM »
Respect. Been nice seeing females getting their shine in skateboarding over the past few years. Well overdue.

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 04:56:26 PM »
Welcome to America Christie, the home of the free! Now with your 144 posts it would be awesome to push through the barriers and make your first post that doesnt involve womanism.

Oh, be nice.

Soft Boiled

• Rep: 21
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 05:25:39 PM »
Remember that picture of a woman, 9 months pregnant, in a tube-top, about to drop in at Burnside.

lesserredpanda

• Rep: 15
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 05:28:52 PM »
Remember that picture of a woman, 9 months pregnant, in a tube-top, about to drop in at Burnside.

Thrasher caught up with her recently.
https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/the-mom-who-skated-9-months-pregnant/

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 05:31:11 PM »
Fuck Harvey Weinstein
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 05:31:48 PM »
Long live Ed Templeton
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 05:44:30 PM »

Holy shit, right?!? You yourself (Jesu, not Ocelot) were basically calling the successful Instagram skate girls prostitutes and that you were the "real" girl skater that deserved all the shine instead for your skill over looks, even though every clip you posted was terrible. Kick rocks, sister.

And no, I'm from nowhere near Long Island.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 05:55:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thrasher caught up with her recently.
https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/the-mom-who-skated-9-months-pregnant/
That’s a woman warrior right there. You can feel the heshness coming from the words.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

cuckflip

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Holy shit, right?!? You yourself (Jesu, not Ocelot) were basically calling the successful Instagram skate girls prostitutes and that you were the "real" girl skater that deserved all the shine instead for your skill over looks, even though every clip you posted was terrible. Kick rocks, sister.

Damn I was going to make fun of OP for that link to the enjoi article, anyone getting mad at that is reaching hard because it’s clearly a fucking stupid joke.

OP if you were really talking shit on some ig skater girls, respect, because I think your on to something.

Hellyeahfuckyeah

• Rep: -12
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 06:14:08 PM »
I’m happy that skateboarding has come some way in supporting females more.
The elitist/superior attitude that men are better has started to change.
I never liked how rape and domestic violence were promoted from some cos. It shows disrespect for woman. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/09/enjoi-skateboards-pull-ads-protest

Without being said, I’ve experienced some of the attitude in my years of skating. Being called a groupie or prostitute and targeted for harassment And violent behavior.
Spoke to others in my community who were concerned but some of the skaters themselves pretend to be good people to the general public. There’s still some aspect of people thinking it’s ok to offend females.
I do not thing approving of this kind of behavior is ok.
Others in my community have thought nothing of me being targeted for this.

Peace and love and all, you posted this with a different title on 4 different message boards on slap, something about that isn’t sincere

buns out

• Rep: 3
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 06:22:10 PM »
I have an old enjoi hoody that has "dirty laundry keeps women busy" on the tag.

Rick_Kane

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 06:25:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 06:35:58 PM »
Christiedejesu:

"My respects go out to those female pros actually killing it, when all these participation trophies are given out for supporting other girls"

"The things I see on Instagram these days are extremely cringy and much worse than my you tube video. Half the people I see on there can’t ollie yet get 2 million views"

"It is irritating see others get rewarded for being trendy. I’ve always been putting work into my skating"

"I would love to say that  I can accomplish so much without having a group of woman surround me giving me that extra hand. I’m supportive of everyone at every level, but the trophy for just being a “ female” has definitely changed the industry. I’m sure nyc skaters can agree"

"What I’ve been seeing lately does not even meet industry standards and makes me cringe."

Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -218
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 06:39:39 PM »
Been down for girls skating since Lori Rigsbee

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2020, 06:53:39 PM »
rip mandela

ChristiedeJesuit

• Rep: -7
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2020, 07:44:43 PM »
Reform in the catholic church began with reform of the individual

Agnarnomous

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2020, 03:17:37 AM »
People that rip get respect. No one has ever seen a girl out there just fucking shredding and thought "yea she's good, but I don't like her because she's a girl". Marisa del Santos, Vanessa Torres, Lacey baker, Fabiana delfino, all rippers no one's ever questioned them. But skaters don't like people getting shine just because they're a certain gender. When a woman's pro bowl jam looks like an everyday sesh at your local, it can definitely feel like there's some sort of charade going. So many people, far more skilled than these ladies will never see a dollar from skateboarding, and you can't expect that not to make people sour. Setting the bar lower holds women back and places a clear divide in skateboarding. Men have to be so good, but women only have to be kinda good. How sexist is that? Destroy the barrier, take the training wheels off the women. Sure there would be less female pros, but the ones that are actually pro at that point would really deserve it. And not be pro due to some phony inclusionary marketing scheme. And maybe people would eventually stop thinking things like "oh yea she's good, for a girl." It would either be "they rip" or "they don't" no further discussion would be had, because nothing else matters. Arbitrary inclusion is whack, and disrespectful towards women by turning them into a commodity rather than objectively judging their talent. People out here crying about equality, but they don't really want equality, they just want the spotlight.

All that said. There's this one young (maybe 12) girl that's been coming to my local lately. She's not very good, but neither are most of the kids her age. But she will take many slams and brush them right off. That shit stokes me out, but it would if she was a boy too. She's very nice and respectful, and asks good questions, which is rare for these little shits at my local. We need more people like that in skateboarding, none of those factors were gender though.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 03:23:32 AM by Agnarnomous »

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2020, 05:47:14 AM »
I always liked Cara Beth Burnside.