Author Topic: Tall Pals (6'+): gear recommendations and reflections  (Read 17844 times)

animalflesh

Re: Tall Pals (6'+): gear recommendations and reflections
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2020, 02:45:22 PM »
I'm that duplicitous that I fuck with anything that is within 8" to 8.5" anything bigger it feels like a dumptruck I know it might be your cup of tea but not mine.

I look back at the "old school" boards from yesteryear and those decks kinda sucked. I mean they were rad for the graphics and the learning experience but holy shit they remind me of bricks on a a giant goldfish. Whenever freestyle decks were a thing I rolled with them for having the closest modern popsicle shape, so when they finally made street minis albeit 89' to early 90's I'd rock them.

I think when it comes to being taller and heftier Indy's are the way to go I like a 54mm or 55mm wheel with a 144 to 149 equivalent. I want to try a Winkowski but is it the same as a old school shape or is it a modern take?

It’s def a modern take very functional

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2020, 02:55:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Not completely related but I sized down from 8.5 to 8 inch trucks on an 8.25 for about two weeks and it kinda fucked me up. Definitely had some benefits but overall threw me off a bit. I'd say going from 8.75 trucks to 8.5 would be fine though especially if you don't go over 8.75 in board width.
[close]

8” trucks on 8.25 my fave big board setup. I’m way shorter than you tho. But yes, the overhang just works better, for me

I can definitely see why the overhang would work for some people, and I liked how much sharper the turn was, but overall it was a bit too jarring for me. I guess going from 8.5 to 8inch trucks was a bit of a extreme change too, on top of the fact that its only been the past few months that I've sized down from 8.5 to 8.25.

sammyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2020, 05:33:49 PM »
Height: 6'3"
Shoe size: 12
Skating since: 1988
Current setup(s): Creature VX 8.8, Indy 159's, Slimeball 53mm 97A

always skated big boards, given i started at a time when all decks were 10" wide...although later in the 90's when decks started to get really thin the widest i could find was 8.25'ish decks. Then I stopped skating in the early 2000's (2003 maybe) and started up again last year. Since restarting, I went from a Real 8.25 deck to what I'm skating now which 8.8. I've gone up for comfort and also VX because i keep breaking decks.

This week, i set up my Real 8.25 again just to see how it feels...if i like it i might get one of those Real Heavyweight decks.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2020, 06:41:04 PM »
shoe size 12
height 6'2"
since 2010
favorite tall skater dane barker, jake johnson, max palmer (who is probably like 5'11" actually)

I've been skating 149s indys and thunders for 8 or so years now. 8.25 to 8.6, became a wheelbase nerd right around when Call Me 917 came out, only skate those and DLX boards now, 14.5-14.75, I seek big tails and/or full noses. not super tech at all but I get by skating ledges and small transition.
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

ballintoohard

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2020, 07:47:35 PM »
Wheelbase is more dependent on hip mobility (mainly external rotation) and lower back stability than height. Look at Gilbert and how he squats before he pop tricks, yet his front foot is way up at the front of the board. Way more hip mobility than Reynolds, who is taller, but skates further towards the tail.

-6 foot 3
-163lbs
-30 waist but I wear 32

Mostly been digging this 35th North 8.25 shop shape. It's 32, with a tiny bit longer tail than a Quasi 8.25. Guess it's an old Krooked shape, BBS wood, 14.25 WB on the dot. Been on Thunder 148 Ti with it lately, also liked 149 Indy's on it too.  Also really liked a Polar 8.5 with Ace 44's. If I'm not on the 35th decks I've also been using a specific Quasi 8.25 or 8.38. Have absolutely hated anything under 32in especially the FA shapes. 53 Classics that are worn to 51, Swiss 6.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2020, 08:49:52 AM »
Height: Just a hair below 6'1"
Shoe size: 10.5
Skating since: 2001
Current setup(s):
Pass~Port 8.5, Indy hallow 149s with medium bones bushings, reds and 54 MM Spitfire F4s Conical Full
Alltimers Cruiser 9.25, Krux (have no idea the size, they were cheap/not racist), reds, 54 OJ Keyframe Plain Janes
Favorite tall(er) pro: Jake Johnson, Rob Welsh, Rick Howard, Is Jake Rupp tall? If so def Jake Rupp
Shoes: I've had 3 pairs of GT Blazers in a row. They're my go to shoe right now. I also really like adidas superstars. Love the performance of a good rubber toe cap. Don't really care for how they look but rubber toe caps allow you to create a kickflip groove that makes kickflips feel so good.

I just set up a new passport and I do enjoy it. I go back and forth between passports and quasi's. I like that quasi's are shorter and boxier. I think that boxy-ness lets you find a corner which really helps with 360 flips and back 360s. Then sometimes I want a longer rounder board. Right now the passport feels really good.

I skate my cruiser a lot because I live in an apartment and theres a parking lot out back that's filled with sticks, rocks and broken glass so the oj keyframe's really help with that. Problem is that I get so used to it that all other boards feel really small. The boxy tail makes 360 flips feel really good. Also I know that people complain about keyframes not sliding but I can frontside noseslide with them and it does really cause me any trouble.

Also, I think I might have a short personality. People constantly ask me if I got taller, or tell me that didn't realize I was tall as I am. If you were to talk to me on the phone you'd probably think I'm shorter than I am. I'm not sure what contributes to this but even my parents ask me if I got taller and I don't think 29 year olds are still growing.

Also I'm a size 32. I have a pair of stretch 505 levi's that skate really good. Aside from a few pairs of jeans and dickies that actually fit, I have a lot of dickies and other pants like wranglers a few sizes too big so I look like an idiot, which is what I'm going for

Agnarnomous

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »
6' 3"
Skinny
Size 9.5-10 shoe.

I'm riding an 8.5 with titanium Indy 149s, 1/8 risers, 56mm f4 radials 99a. Was on 8.75 for a year or two until I broke my foot, had to downsize after cuz I couldn't flip that beast anymore.

Levi's 541 and Dickie's slim taper are my favorite pants. Took me a while to find these, and I deff went through the tall and slender pants struggle myself.

I have no idea how you guys with size 11+ feet ride boards smaller than 8.5. that's crazy to me.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2020, 03:12:20 PM »
any of yall riding 14 and under for the wb? how would you describe it?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sammyz

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2020, 03:25:44 PM »
so follow up to my previous post...i had a sesh on the 8.25 Real deck last night...fuck me! i skated so much better than on my 8.8. I felt just as stable and comfortable, but i could actually manoeuvre the board with ease. The narrower truck fucked with me a but getting onto ledges, but i got over that pretty quickly.

i think i'm gonna go back to 8.25 or 8.38 on Indy 144's...and try to keep the WB around 14.25-14.5

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 03:36:24 PM »
6' 4"
180lbs
shoe 12

riding blast skates 9.5 (lowest I would go 9.25)
Ace 55 trucks

skating hi shoes- cons pro,vans sk8 pro, huf hupper

dickies 873 34x34, levis work pants 34x34
9/11 was a national tragedy

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2020, 03:37:58 PM »

Lol weren't you saying just a few weeks ago that you liked 15 in wb couldn't skate anything under 14.75.

Anyway I had a 14inch a few years ago and it was definitely too short for comfort, helped me learn some tricks but was not stable at all. I did have Aces on it though to be fair which was not a good combo in hindsight. With something like forged Ventures it might have just been manageable but probably still shorter than I'd be willing to go. 14.25 with Venture forged right now is doing me pretty good at this height.

animalflesh

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2020, 03:47:59 PM »
Short wheelbases are fun just to fuck around on but I always go back to 14.75

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2020, 12:38:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol weren't you saying just a few weeks ago that you liked 15 in wb couldn't skate anything under 14.75.

Anyway I had a 14inch a few years ago and it was definitely too short for comfort, helped me learn some tricks but was not stable at all. I did have Aces on it though to be fair which was not a good combo in hindsight. With something like forged Ventures it might have just been manageable but probably still shorter than I'd be willing to go. 14.25 with Venture forged right now is doing me pretty good at this height.
im pretty sure your advice had made me change my wb iirc. i had ended up redrilling a couple of my boards to 14.38 and 14.5 respectively and i threw that statement in the garbage. i thought everything i was struggling with on big wb was just supposed to be that hard and got used to it. everything got 10x easier on a small wb and it didnt take as long as i thought to get used to the change. i do think the large wb did help me learn how to control shit better because of the difficulty, and then shorter wb took the ankle weights off. it gave a boost to my skating and can go much longer now.

been about a month and some change on these decks and the 14.38-4 decks feel better than the 14.5 by a mile. not sure if its the 0.1 inch difference or mental with the fact that its my old 15 wb deck with new holes. either way the former feels tighter and i like it. cant go back to 14.75 and up on a serious setup, theres no point anymore. even tranny feels more responsive on the smaller wb. looking to size down to 14.25 for my next deck and keep the range between that and 14.4 now that i can control that size wb.

14 is probably too small to benefit me in any way at this stage, was asking to hear your stories. what tricks did you learn on it/were easier though?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2020, 10:29:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
im pretty sure your advice had made me change my wb iirc. i had ended up redrilling a couple of my boards to 14.38 and 14.5 respectively and i threw that statement in the garbage. i thought everything i was struggling with on big wb was just supposed to be that hard and got used to it. everything got 10x easier on a small wb and it didnt take as long as i thought to get used to the change. i do think the large wb did help me learn how to control shit better because of the difficulty, and then shorter wb took the ankle weights off. it gave a boost to my skating and can go much longer now.

been about a month and some change on these decks and the 14.38-4 decks feel better than the 14.5 by a mile. not sure if its the 0.1 inch difference or mental with the fact that its my old 15 wb deck with new holes. either way the former feels tighter and i like it. cant go back to 14.75 and up on a serious setup, theres no point anymore. even tranny feels more responsive on the smaller wb. looking to size down to 14.25 for my next deck and keep the range between that and 14.4 now that i can control that size wb.

14 is probably too small to benefit me in any way at this stage, was asking to hear your stories. what tricks did you learn on it/were easier though?

Lol glad you found something that works for you. I think at this point, given that you said you were trying to learn basic ledge tricks in the other thread, it would be best to find something thats comfortable and stick to it to build consistent muscle memory. Maybe 14in would be nice for more maneuverability but maybe its too much.

I can't say it was because of the board but I learned switch back 180s over stuff and switch back 5050s on round rails on my 14inch wb board with Aces, don't see how it helped 5050s but maybe helped with ssbs180 because there was less work late ish rotating after doing a sw ollie over the box? What I can definitely say is ledge tricks that involve 180s in are easier because when you swing into the ledge you move parallel so on a longer board you have to roll up further away from the ledge and the spacing is less comfortable for me. So fs 180 nosegrinds, bs 180 nosegrinds and sw bs 180 nosegrinds which I all do a lot were all more comfortable because I could roll up to the ledge much closer and more comfortably. Shorter board being easier to swing around made fs noseblunts from the side a bit easier too but usually I'm lazy and go straight on when I can now. But a super short board/wheelbase definitely makes it easier to slip out when you're rolling away from a 180, bigspin or 5-0 or whatever where you don't land perfectly centred and it was pretty noticeable on that setup.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 10:32:45 AM by tzhangdox »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2020, 12:36:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Lol glad you found something that works for you. I think at this point, given that you said you were trying to learn basic ledge tricks in the other thread, it would be best to find something thats comfortable and stick to it to build consistent muscle memory. Maybe 14in would be nice for more maneuverability but maybe its too much.

I can't say it was because of the board but I learned switch back 180s over stuff and switch back 5050s on round rails on my 14inch wb board with Aces, don't see how it helped 5050s but maybe helped with ssbs180 because there was less work late ish rotating after doing a sw ollie over the box? What I can definitely say is ledge tricks that involve 180s in are easier because when you swing into the ledge you move parallel so on a longer board you have to roll up further away from the ledge and the spacing is less comfortable for me. So fs 180 nosegrinds, bs 180 nosegrinds and sw bs 180 nosegrinds which I all do a lot were all more comfortable because I could roll up to the ledge much closer and more comfortably. Shorter board being easier to swing around made fs noseblunts from the side a bit easier too but usually I'm lazy and go straight on when I can now. But a super short board/wheelbase definitely makes it easier to slip out when you're rolling away from a 180, bigspin or 5-0 or whatever where you don't land perfectly centred and it was pretty noticeable on that setup.
im trying to stay in the 31.75-32.25 inch range for lengths, not more not much less either. so much better than 33" for me

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2020, 01:29:27 PM »
consider the navy anti hero eagle decks. 8.5 31.8 14.25, good shape.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2020, 02:01:36 PM »
too narrow for my feet. im looking at the brown bomber or polar 1992 shape for the 14.25 wb + comfortable width. theres a couple of baker 9.0s but after stepping on a 9 pop today without any taper, it just feels like too much space by the tail. have to get used to it after riding this P8 lol

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2020, 02:13:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
too narrow for my feet. im looking at the brown bomber or polar 1992 shape for the 14.25 wb + comfortable width. theres a couple of baker 9.0s but after stepping on a 9 pop today without any taper, it just feels like too much space by the tail. have to get used to it after riding this P8 lol
How about 8.75" pop, 14.25" wb? I've found a few of those.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2020, 02:14:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I dunno, I'm size 13 too and 8.5 more than enough space, especially if you learn to be on your toes and control your board with your forefoot. I guess if you struggle to even ride an 8.5 then maybe, but otherwise I wouldn't knock it until giving it a go.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2020, 04:36:21 PM »
if there's anyone out there looking for some carhartt pants in a 38/40 x 36 inseam, hit me up. ill hook a pal up for a good price

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2020, 06:08:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
which ones are you suggesting? its either that or i go a little bit wider with the brown bomber shape or get another p8

I dunno, I'm size 13 too and 8.5 more than enough space, especially if you learn to be on your toes and control your board with your forefoot. I guess if you struggle to even ride an 8.5 then maybe, but otherwise I wouldn't knock it until giving it a go.
[/quote]

im not at the skill level to be that precise with my front foot. the p8 has been keeping me on my toes cause its 8.5 at the tail. i think i mentioned it before but it feels like a glorified 8.5 with more room to flick. if anything i can practice forefoot control on it until its natural and then give a pop 8.5 a fair chance.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:15:12 PM by off »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2020, 07:11:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
which ones are you suggesting? its either that or i go a little bit wider with the brown bomber shape or get another p8

im not at the skill level to be that precise with my front foot. the p8 has been keeping me on my toes cause its 8.5 at the tail. i think i mentioned it before but it feels like a glorified 8.5 with more room to flick. if anything i can practice forefoot control on it until its natural and then give a pop 8.5 a fair chance.
[/quote]

Fair enough, good luck narrowing down to what you like. Once you find it, stick with it for a while

satan

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2020, 08:47:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[/quote]

quote is acting goofy. I gave up trying to fix it

I haven't measured any of the boards or even seen any..
I'm going by company websites, not shops. Except for Baker mega's
If you guys have measured these please give feedback
I think ppl have said Alien is 14.25" wb
Fwiw, there's also a new Primitive 8.6 that might have 14" wb

8.75" - 14.25" wb
Alien/Habitat 32.25" - are these always BBS wood?
Business and Co 32" or 32.32"? might be 14.5" wb?
Heroin Childress 32"
Fixer 32.625" - Clutch wood?
Baker mega? Not sure on the wb
Primitive? New size for them, haven't seen wb info yet

8.88"
Toy Machine 32.25", 7.25" n, 7" t, 14.25" wb
https://shop.tumyeto.com/skate/decks/toy-machine-vice-monster-8-88-logo-deck.html
Might be a typo? Page also says 8.38

9"
Polar 32.25", 7" n, 6.75" t, 14.5" wb
Baker mega? 32.25", 14.25" wb?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2020, 09:48:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

8.75" - 14.25" wb
Heroin Childress 32"

8.88"
https://shop.tumyeto.com/skate/decks/toy-machine-vice-monster-8-88-logo-deck.html

9"
[/quote]

Alien is, Habitat still does some PS I believe. But AFAIK That shape is always BBS.

grindr

• Rep: 3
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2020, 07:41:00 PM »
6'3 here
9 (us) shoes
150 lbs
skating since 2011-ish

I buy my tees large or xl and wear a long sleeve under, a flannel or hoodie to hide the noodle arms.
Pants are usually a couple sizes too big with a belt (I wear 36 but I'm a 30 waist.)

I ride anything 8.38 with a mellow concave. recently it's been polar, krooked and alltimers. I really enjoy the short wheelbase polars. 149 Indys, want to make the switch to ace but haven't bit the bullet.

sammyz

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2020, 08:21:40 PM »
6'3 here
9 (us) shoes
150 lbs
skating since 2011-ish

I buy my tees large or xl and wear a long sleeve under, a flannel or hoodie to hide the noodle arms.
Pants are usually a couple sizes too big with a belt (I wear 36 but I'm a 30 waist.)

I ride anything 8.38 with a mellow concave. recently it's been polar, krooked and alltimers. I really enjoy the short wheelbase polars. 149 Indys, want to make the switch to ace but haven't bit the bullet.

have you tried the 8.38 with Indy 144's? wondering if that work out ok

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2020, 01:08:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

8.75" - 14.25" wb
Heroin Childress 32"

8.88"

9"

Alien is, Habitat still does some PS I believe. But AFAIK That shape is always BBS.
[/quote]
bummed cause all these decks have just one spec that is off for me.
8.75x32ish 14.25WB 6.5-6.625 tail are the only dims i need, surprised i cant find one

grindr

• Rep: 3
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2020, 04:10:48 AM »
Expand Quote
6'3 here
9 (us) shoes
150 lbs
skating since 2011-ish

[close]

I personally never have bought the 144's because I occasionally will buy an 8.5 - but rarely. Also I bought my most recent pair of indys before the 144's came out. My friend got a pair though and i recall him saying they seemed too small i think they even pooked it. Not sure though as a lot of my friends bitch about everything.

satan

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2020, 04:22:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

8.75" - 14.25" wb
Heroin Childress 32"

8.88"

9"
[close]

bummed cause all these decks have just one spec that is off for me.
8.75x32ish 14.25WB 6.5-6.625 tail are the only dims i need, surprised i cant find one
[/quote]

That's a shorter tail for a deck that size/width. I think the Baker mega's had shorter tails, going by shop info, but I don't remember for sure which had 14.25" wb.
6.75-6.875" tail isn't too much bigger. I like it for tail/blunt slides but pop doesn't work for everyone.
Hmm, shorter tails.. off the top of my head I can only think of 8.375" stuff, maybe 8.5". I'll backburner it an see if my subconscious comes up with anything.

satan

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2020, 04:39:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
6'3 here
9 (us) shoes
150 lbs
skating since 2011-ish

[close]

[close]

I personally never have bought the 144's because I occasionally will buy an 8.5 - but rarely. Also I bought my most recent pair of indys before the 144's came out. My friend got a pair though and i recall him saying they seemed too small i think they even pooked it. Not sure though as a lot of my friends bitch about everything.
144's are 8.25". Lil bit of magic carpet ride on 8.38" but not too bad. 1/4" wider deck is were it starts getting weird/annoying for me.

I don't like 8.5" trucks on 8.38" deck cuz seeing the axle nuts drives me crazy, too distracting for me. They're just soooo shiny! And I usually have to loosen my trucks if deck is narrower than trucks. If deck is wider I can usually deal with the looser feeling trucks. I don't like touching my trucks..

If your thinking 8.375-8.625" range I'd go 149's. 144's if your thinking of trying 8.25" or maybe 8.125".