Author Topic: Does anyone else remember that awkward time between kicknose and flatnose decks?  (Read 4223 times)

ColinYourAssOut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
I remember rocking and old hosoi and one of the older kids had an sma rocco and it made me feel left behind.

I feel your pain, there was a guy who was always considered THE best local in the city who had that same SMA Rocco when the rest of us were rocking setups with useless short-ass stubby noses, I was at his ramp one day (which I was too afraid to drop in on at the time being as it was 8' and almost hit vert), and the moment I saw him to a nose stall to fakie, I knew shit was about to change for board design.

It's why when the Vallely barnyard board came out not too far down the line, I snatched that shit up immediately.
You can't beat cheeks with weak meat.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
The first true twin was the double vision I think.

I only got to skate one like 4 or 5 times. It flipped way better than the barn yard. But it was slightly peanut shaped.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
G&S Mark Heintzman was another early, big nose board. The Ketchup and finger print boards were super good.

The nose was like a 90 degree angle on those Heintzman G&S boards :)

I had a rocco pygmy size with no nose when I was just starting

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
By my recollect, the first kick nose model I had was that Schmitt Stix Steve Douglas "beer label" model from around '88 or '89. I remember loving that thing. Picked up a Siamese Twin slick bottom not long after that. Probably liked that one too(?) but my marijuana consumption had escalated at that point so my memory of that deck is a li'l foggy. 

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Featherdale wildlife park

The first time I saw a double kick board my mum was driving me to school and she ran over a dog. I remember that day. The dude done a a Ollie over to over the foot path to the street outside the medical centre. Then my mum ran over the dog in front of Blacktown station. There was a little fight that day. 1990.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I honestly cannot remember what board in my first several had a kick nose. I started on a 1987 McGill, then got a Vision Ken Park (for some reason), then a Natas (super flat), then a Schmitt Stix Lucero (behind bars, not busted out yet), then a SC Corey O'Brien, then I think I got an H-Street Eddie Elgura (HELL CONCAVE).

That took me all the way up to about 1989, I think. Somewhere in there my mom got talked into getting me G&S trucks by the guy at the local shop, and shit was just a mess. Skateboards looked so fucking kooky back then.

Highonangeldust

• Rep: 584
G&S Mark Heintzman was another early, big nose board. The Ketchup and finger print boards were super good.
I liked the ketchup board a lot. The miller dog board was my first bigger nosed board. Then I had the barnyard. After that I was into Mullens first world boards. If memory serves me correct they had a squarer tail with a blunt upturned nose. I could be wrong. Regardless I loved all those boards. I think the Kendall pumpkin board was my last flat nosed board.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
My last no-nose deck was a Cab mini Bat Dragon. Next board was the World Vallely Elephant.

I could still probably skate the Vallely if I still had it. I still have the Cab and it’s so flat it feels convex.
In 1988 shop class my final project was a skateboard mold to press decks.  I put hell concave and upturned nose to the next level.  The problem was I couldn’t source the right  vaneers and was using plain old wood glue.  I still sold about 50 of them over the summer. It took about 2 days per deck and I would recommend not skating them for 2 days.  They were light and disposable, I had some complaints but for 20 bucks a pop with no mail order wait time.  I lived like a king that summer, I still have one at my Gramma’s house

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
Expand Quote
First board that had any sort of nose was the Schmitt Stix Chris Miller board with that weird dog on it.
Those boards were sweet, I went through a couple of those.
I had a purple stained SMA Rocco, I'd love to have that deck back.
[close]

My 1st deck with a nose was the Chris Miller and I was riding it to school the fist day of seventh grade.

That's a sick graphic

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
I do remember this awkward time because it's the only awkward time I've ever experienced in my life so it really stands out in my mind.
Your awesome, I love the humor!

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
First board that had any sort of nose was the Schmitt Stix Chris Miller board with that weird dog on it.
[close]

My 1st deck with a nose was the Chris Miller and I was riding it to school the fist day of seventh grade.

[close]

That's a sick graphic
Imagine being the art director/freelance artist and guys like Chris, blender and Templeton come in and crush your situation.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
G&S, pretty much had no art direction, Schmitt was give or take just John Lucero so I don't think any toes wee stepped on.  The big one maybe was Gonz because Vision did have their art directors...they never got a royalty though anyhow so I don't think it was ever much of a thing....Miller talks about gettin on Powell, I wonder if he would have had his own graphic there....

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
G&S, pretty much had no art direction

I loved old G&S graphics, even if they seemed kind of crude

sooo much better than Pendleton’s sterile pharmaceutical company garbage

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Rep: 20
My first "pro" board was a Powell Skull & Sword and it had no nose at all. Then my second board was a Roskopp Face 2 and it was double drilled in the front and had the tiniest bit of an upturned nose and when you set it up with the set back holes it made the nose a little longer (I had hot pink grip tape on that board and it was fucking hideous). Then, my third deck was a Blockhead Omar Hassan with the genie on it and that board had a decent nose on it. No one asked for this walk down memory lane, sorry. But yeah, I kinda went through the whole thing from no nose to noses. Some of those nose lengths were redonkulous back then. People were going nose crazy.

Crusty Grundle

I remember riding the old pig boards as the fish/hammerhead shaped decks were starting to trend. I made the transition from flat pig decks to shaped decks with spoon nose concave without much resistance or hesitation. When those double kick decks came out and double drilled front truck patterns started to become the norm, my Neanderthal brain couldn't accept it. I just didn't see the point and thought it was just another sales gimmick. I eventually came around but always struggled to find a board that was as wide as I would like.
I think the present time is one of the best eras in board design... so many options, from reissues to modern concaves on shaped decks to straight up hacksaw shaped decks and everything in between!

mushroom slice

Had a Natas kitten board and all
My friends had H-Street at the time and the difference in how much better the nose and hell concave was with the Matt Hensley with the dude hanging off the street sign or a Ron Allen with the guy pushing on a piece of wood was quiet a bit better then that Natas kitten board. After that phase that mike valley barnyard came out and that was the dream. Never had. But wanted. As a kid. That was the next level. I dunno why switch took so long to take off after that. Probably cause I was a stupid little kid trying to to blender stalls and then some other shit I can’t remember

sweetlou

• Rep: 11
  • https://www.superduperskateboards.com/
    • superduperskateboards.com avatar image
Expand Quote
My last no-nose deck was a Cab mini Bat Dragon. Next board was the World Vallely Elephant.

I could still probably skate the Vallely if I still had it. I still have the Cab and it’s so flat it feels convex.
[close]
In 1988 shop class my final project was a skateboard mold to press decks.  I put hell concave and upturned nose to the next level.  The problem was I couldn’t source the right  vaneers and was using plain old wood glue.  I still sold about 50 of them over the summer. It took about 2 days per deck and I would recommend not skating them for 2 days.  They were light and disposable, I had some complaints but for 20 bucks a pop with no mail order wait time.  I lived like a king that summer, I still have one at my Gramma’s house

This is fantastic.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image

Yeah it was like magic how high I could ollie on that thing at the time.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Expand Quote
Had the gonz without then the gonz with.  I was rad to put the upturned bolts away for good.
[close]

This joint!?!?

Man that cunt was a revelation.

Highonangeldust

• Rep: 584
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah it was like magic how high I could ollie on that thing at the time
I had the Miller mini and it was trippy having to relearn trucks and get used to that nose. I remember having trouble at first trying to slide my foot off to plant on a curb for a no comply flip. Sadly as soon as I got used to that board I stashed it in some bushes at school for some reason and a older lesbian softball pitcher stole it. I was bummed. But she was beefy and I didn’t know where she lived.  Other bigger nosed boards I liked were the barnyard and definitely the Heintzman ketchup bottle. I love the blunt nose on that and the street chomp. I was really into G&S when they had Willy and Markovich.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
Had a lance mountain crest with a flat nose, a friend of mine had that Bryce Kanights gargoyle with what seemed like the smallest upturned nose.  Looked like a can opener. 

Next board, I ordered a Staab genie, but instead got a Staab school bus “nose monster” with one of the bigger noses for the time, and it was a wrap after that
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower