Author Topic: How welcoming is Africa's countries to Skate/Punk Scene?  (Read 1513 times)

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
How welcoming is Africa's countries to Skate/Punk Scene?
« on: February 02, 2020, 02:19:28 PM »
From whatever walk of life you come from at one point or another you had a angsty punk friend or phase yourself.

What I mean by this thread I try to see myself in another culture to empathize and understand from an outsiders perspective. In my opinion it seems like western lifestyles would be frowned upon if they weren't making money or a long lasting real goal such as an architect or Dr.

Holy shit does the political climate seem like everyone has a target painted on their back....

Please correct me if I'm wrong, any Slap Pals been to Africa and had an off the tourist path adventure and what was it like?

Any cool spots? Were there any sketchy moments?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:59:50 PM by DarthDingusMaximus »
Dueces Bitch's

lady fanny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -52
Re: How welcoming is Africa to Skate/Punk Scene?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 02:37:46 PM »
Kony for Soty. 
Lady Fanny from Omaha

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 06:05:35 AM »
I forgot that people still think of Africa as country and not a whole ass continent with hundreds of different cultures and people.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 06:08:13 AM by Youoverthere »

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 07:40:06 AM »
I forgot that people still think of Africa as country and not a whole ass continent with hundreds of different cultures and people.

What I wanted to say.

There is multiple areas as big as the us that don’t have a single piece of concrete and practically no population.
And on the other hand there is metropolitan world cities that are buzzing with culture, youth culture and spots.

I have only traveled Egypt and Morocco myself and again you can find anything. But most people are curious, open, welcoming and peaceful.
If you act up and behave like a rich fuck or try to impose your culture (even if it is punk) on others, you might not be as welcome.

But you shouldn’t visit a different to bring your culture, more to take back some of theirs.

If you want to know what Africa has to say about punk, listen To how hard Zambia went in the 70s.

Check out also Amanaz, witch and the peace for more psychedelic rock and 70 heavy metal.

Also fela kuti from Nigeria (Not the same as Uk/us punk) but a real political counter movement and icon, look this guys story and music up. Your 1st. World rebels can learn a lot from that man.

Nowadays every farce city has access to internet and I am sure you can find the same generic imitation of the 80s and 90s punk sound you can find in any other place of the world.

For big cities and pop culture (that includes punk) check out Lagos, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Cairo, Nairobi, Addis Ababa, day es salaam, ...

Also check these guys out for contemporary stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/serkelwo7oush
 They at sleazy still have something to say (even though you might not understand it)

Thank you for reading my novel...

PMA

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 01:50:23 PM »
Well whenever someone who is ignorant to that idea of the Continent being a country (which I fell for) one has to assume the multiple countries regardless of imposing western culture it's a beautiful place but quite tumultuous in regards to goverment and it's people.

Dueces Bitch's

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 01:56:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What I wanted to say.

There is multiple areas as big as the us that don’t have a single piece of concrete and practically no population.
And on the other hand there is metropolitan world cities that are buzzing with culture, youth culture and spots.

I have only traveled Egypt and Morocco myself and again you can find anything. But most people are curious, open, welcoming and peaceful.
If you act up and behave like a rich fuck or try to impose your culture (even if it is punk) on others, you might not be as welcome.

But you shouldn’t visit a different to bring your culture, more to take back some of theirs.

If you want to know what Africa has to say about punk, listen To how hard Zambia went in the 70s.

Check out also Amanaz, witch and the peace for more psychedelic rock and 70 heavy metal.

Also fela kuti from Nigeria (Not the same as Uk/us punk) but a real political counter movement and icon, look this guys story and music up. Your 1st. World rebels can learn a lot from that man.

Nowadays every farce city has access to internet and I am sure you can find the same generic imitation of the 80s and 90s punk sound you can find in any other place of the world.

For big cities and pop culture (that includes punk) check out Lagos, Cape Town, Johannesburg, Cairo, Nairobi, Addis Ababa, day es salaam, ...

Also check these guys out for contemporary stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/serkelwo7oush
 They at sleazy still have something to say (even though you might not understand it)

Thank you for reading my novel...
That's a good resource what I'm getting at initially is most of the countries seem fucked especially Egypt, Morroco, South Africa and Ugunda.

I would like to see the pyramids and sphinx but from a helicopter.
Dueces Bitch's

lady fanny

Re: How welcoming is Africa's countries to Skate/Punk Scene?
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 02:48:46 PM »
Liberia will give those other countries a run for their lunch money. i'm not sure if there's any livable African country. there's likely nice areas but each country is dangerous.
Lady Fanny from Omaha

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1098
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 04:22:10 AM »
There're parts of Africa where if they find out you're gay, they will put you in tires and burn you to death, so I'm betting they will just welcome with open arms you and your pals sashaying down the street all gussied up in your lame-o punk get ups with your butt cheeks hanging out.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

lady fanny

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 07:25:05 AM »
There're parts of Africa where if they find out you're gay, they will put you in tires and burn you to death, so I'm betting they will just welcome with open arms you and your pals sashaying down the street all gussied up in your lame-o punk get ups with your butt cheeks hanging out.
it's called 'necklacing'. nelson mandela's wife was famous for necklacing while he was locked up.
Lady Fanny from Omaha

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 09:28:17 AM »
Why do you think these countries are fucked?
Millions op people living there, millions more visiting for tourism. Sure these are places where the average citizen is less spoiled than in the USA but these are beautiful countries with amazing people and a kindness you will rarely see in richer countries.
If you are nice, open and curious (and careful) you will have a great time in any of these places. If you’re not, stay the fuck at home, nobody else needs negativity.

I am always surprised how badly Americans and Europeans with little travel experience think of developing countries.
Sure Liberia is an extreme (even though it has improved a lot) but that is a country in bloody civil war, you just don’t go there.

PMA

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 07:26:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
it's called 'necklacing'. nelson mandela's wife was famous for necklacing while he was locked up.
My dad used to tell me this when I was little. He said it would happen all the time on his morning walks to school. They would just drag em out and melt tires on suspected gay dudes. This is in Ghana btw.
Homophobia in African American communities goes deeper than you think.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

lady fanny

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 09:19:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
My dad used to tell me this when I was little. He said it would happen all the time on his morning walks to school. They would just drag em out and melt tires on suspected gay dudes. This is in Ghana btw.
Homophobia in African American communities goes deeper than you think.
homophobia is a misnomer. in Africa it is the homos who are scared.
and the albinos. they scrap them for parts because they believe their limbs have superpowers. i'm generalizing a whole continent but i think an area that is peaceful, safe and progressive is the anomaly not the rule.
Lady Fanny from Omaha

Ghost Face

• Rep: 107
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 01:56:11 AM »
check out www.sessionmag.co.za for South Africa's content. The local Vans and Adidas teams has done numerous trips north of our border and gotten good footage with minimal problems. They also show some of the other countries scenes when they get the footage.

- Botswana

- Ethiopia
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

louie the taurus

• Rep: -119
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 07:44:26 AM »
i've never skated anywhere in africa, so i can't contribute much to this thread.
i did enjoy this video though:

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 02:43:26 PM »
I’ve been to Romania and as far south as Brazil on my own hitchhiking.

I am just curious about how African countries treat others whom are tourists and or transients.

No negativity just made a shitty generalization of what I’ve heard and seen albeit the media.
Dueces Bitch's