Author Topic: How did you choose your first board?  (Read 2933 times)

GalwayCoffee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
How did you choose your first board?
« on: February 03, 2020, 03:00:09 AM »
Hello everyone :),
so I wanted to start skateboarding and because it would be quite boring without a skateboard, I wanted to buy one. I guess it's not necessary to mention that "well it's a board that rolls, how hard can it be to find one" was... well... not how it went.

A skateboard that's already complete seemed like a good idea but from all the guides I read the wheels never match what the guides say I need. The more I read the more I got confused.

I just wanted a skateboard to learn a few tricks and to get from A to B (for the next skatepark I would have to drive a hour). All wheels on the complete boards are 98A to 101A. But I read these are for skateparks because otherwise you would fall over every pebble. Then I read skateboards to use on the street need soft wheels and on the next site that street skaters need hard wheels?

Did you buy hundreds of wheels extra?
Did you pick your first skateboard completely wrong?
How did you find out whats the correct board for you?
The questions are especially for the people who didn't have a skateboard shop around.

(PS: Sorry for any mistakes, but I didn't find a German skateboard forum that hasn't died at least 5 years ago.)

I hope you have a great day.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
Re: How did you choose your first board?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 03:28:06 AM »
will try and give some decent answers to hopefully guide you down the right path

my first few boards were shitty department store ones, definitely avoid anything like that. my first "proper" board was a hand me down Zero setup which was fucked up but arguably better.

Nope.

The first actual setup I bought was a Rollersnakes complete (rollersnakes being a skate shop in the UK) consisting of a shop deck, tensor trucks, 58mm wheels and some random bearings. Looking back that is a fucking weird setup so yeah I'd say it was pretty wrong.

I find that it takes a LONG time to figure out whats correct for you in the long run, the boards I skate now are nowhere near what I would've skated back in the day. There was a shop somewhat near me but venturing out there by myself at the time was something I didn't wanna do so I was mostly resigned to the internet and buying shit from whatever videos I was enjoying at the time.

Now regarding completes I've never heard of the wheels not matching the guides, though the main issue with completes in my eyes is yeah you might get a good deck, but the trucks/wheels/bearings will be arguably generic and while it would work for a beginner they're not great.

Regarding wheels what you're referencing about hard wheels and soft wheels is preference. 98-101a is pretty much the standard durometer for street skating, but when I say street I mean skating street spots and not cruising from A-B - ofcourse that doesn't mean you can't do that because the majority of us do that when going from spot to spot. Softer wheels are more for cruising and getting you over the cracks, bumps and pebbles that would be a bit harsher on harder wheels, the downside being doing tricks on soft wheels feels very dull. That's not to say you can't do both on either wheels but if you're planning on skating a journey that takes an hour in a car I'd definitely opt for some softer wheels solely for that, and having harder ones for park.

Regarding setups, it's really up to you - a complete will work but the difference between generic trucks/wheels/bearings and reputable brands is night and day.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 08:45:23 AM »
gutentag

first board was a kryptonics.. it was what the sporting goods store had.  first "real" board was a toy machine cause its what elissa steamer had in thps

no, and until a couple years ago it never occurred to me that i should be switching wheels out sooner.  I went about 15 years on 3 or 4 sets of wheels.

no. dont overthink it.  youre going to be bad for a while before any of this is going to make a difference.  just do what i do 20+ years later, pick the board based on the graphics.  make sure the width of the board is flush with your trucks

I dont think this stuff matters.  theres always a bit of adjustment when setting up a new deck.  ive always stayed middle of the road: 7.75 when that was a thing, 8.25 now
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:52:17 AM by pdknox »

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 09:17:22 AM »
Dept. store board that was pretty decent but once I bought kryptonics for it it was super sick.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 10:12:44 AM »
I grew up in the middle of nowhere and ordering stuff online was still some years away, and my first board was a really beat up used one that I bought off an older kid in school for way more than it was worth. It had decent enough wheels, but Tracker trucks with the plastic hanger and no grip on the tail for whatever reason. I didn’t mind, skating was cool.

Anyway, my tip for buying your first board would be to maybe check out what’s on sale and see if you can put together something better than the cheap-ish completes without too drastic an increase in price. A skateshop complete won’t be terrible, but if you’re getting a board as a means to getting around town in addition to tricks you’ll definitely appreciate getting better trucks, wheels and bearings. And about those wheels - if you plan on travelling long-ish distances definitely get something on the soft side and bigger, but otherwise something like a 55mm 99A wheel will work just fine for light cruising as well as trickery.

Dr Dew

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 01:21:44 PM »
if you'll mainly be cruising/getting from point A to B with it then i would say choose a deck on the wider side, 8.5" is good. then you'll choose a pair of trucks that are about as wide. so like independent 149s or 159s, or thunder 151s.

use this guide to make sure your trucks are properly sized before you order them. (of course the best is to go into an actual skate shop and be able to check it all fits right. and then you can buy a shop brand deck which will be a bit cheaper than a name brand deck. but i think you said in your post there isn't a skate shop in your town)

i skated for way too long on big boards with tiny trucks because i didn't know they were supposed to be a similar width hahah

for wheels yeah go soft if you're concerned about rough ground and pebbles and stuff
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:24:00 PM by Dr Dew »

Brguy

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 03:01:09 AM »
Got the first from the supermarket, the fucking wheels broke. Then I got one from a mall, by the time I started getting new stuff I knew better than that and got some better stuff, first trucks where Crails, first wheels where
Mysterys, first bearings where a string of abecs, but first good ones where Agacê and, if I recall correctly, first deck was a Zero.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 05:46:41 AM »
First board- I looked at loys of magazines in the late 80’s, and thought that the Per Weilender shape was the best.

In a family trip got to go to a real skate shop, and they did t have it in, so I went with the closest option, a Sword and Skull, and the shop guy matched trucks and wheels with it (I asked for Indys and Bones).

I have no idea if it suited me, but I loved it and got used to it.

I’ve skated for 30 years since then, and have tried all types of boards. I know that I like something between a n 8.75 and a 9.75, but that’s it.

I find you get used to whatever you are on, as long as you are stoked on it.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

8 Foot Tranny

• Rep: -4
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 08:26:29 AM »

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 02:54:50 PM »
I cane from a standard sports back ground, so I went with the birdman. B/c, duuuuuh, he won all the contests, he must be the best.  Then white Trackers and pink Rat or Cross Bones to top it off.  Second was the Roskopp face with the crazy tail.  Good times at like six-seven years old.

BrianF

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 07:54:17 AM »
I bought whatever the guy at a local skate shop recommended.  It was fine, but I changed a lot of things within the first few months anyway.  I think you should decide for yourself what you want.

1) Pick an appropriate width for your deck and trucks.  I feel like 8.25 is a good all around width.  Go wider if you are large or do mostly cruising or transition.  Go a bit narrower if you are small or want to do more slow and technical stuff.  Think a little bit on this, because the width affects your trucks which should hopefully last a while.

2a)  Buy a complete in your desired width.  Upgrade parts as they wear out or you desire.

2b) Assemble your own board.  The deck company or subtle shape differences don't matter much, since decks wear out fairly quickly if you actually skate a lot.  Just buy a fairly standard popsicle with a nice graphic.

Grip tape wears out with the deck and you'll probably have a chance to try many different types, so don't obsess about it.

If you are going to obsess and research, obsess and research over the trucks since those will last a while.  Thunders and Independents are very common hard to beat.  Ventures also have a lot of fans, but I didn't like the turning.  "LIght" versions of trucks are often not much more than standards, so buy lights now if that sounds worthwhile to you.

The cheap alloy Tensors are a decent budget option, but stay away from Mag Light LOWs.  The Mag Light ATGs are actually quite nice, and the lightest truck you can buy (besides the Mag Light LOWs which have issues).

In my opinion, you should should start off with either Independent, Thunder, or Venture.  If weight matters more than a little bit of money, get "Light" versions, or some Tensor Mag Light ATGs.  If you are on a budget, the Tensor alloys work pretty well.  I'm sure there are other budget options that are ok, but nothing I have tried.

You can probably just buy some cheap wheels for now, at around 52mm, 99 to 101a.  They will probably wear down before the wheel shape and formula really matters to you, so don't obsess about that now.  Or spend the next three months researching wheel shapes and compounds, only to realize that you can't skate well enough for it to matter, and that you could have been skating for the past three months.

No need to over spend on bearings.  In my opinion, Mini-Logo bearings are decent, cheap, and widely available.  If you decide to upgrade bearings later, you aren't out that much money.

Hardware doesn't matter, as long as it is long enough.  Buy 1 or 1 1/8 inch to give a little extra room for a riser if necessary.

3) Pick up some extra 56ish mm, wide, soft wheels, along with another set of bearings.  You cannot skate around easily on rock hard 52mm wheels.  Trying to compromise just leaves you with wheels to big and/or soft for tricks, but to small and/or hard to cruise on. 

In my opinion, an extra set of "semi-cruiser" wheels are well worth it.  I use 56mm 85a Bones G-slides, but there are other choices.  Sometimes I wish I would have gone a little softer (78-80a), but the G-slides do still allow some goofing around and slide braking on hills.

Pick something soft, wide, and large, but not so large to need a huge riser.  With any luck, 56mm will fit and not need any riser.

4) If you are ordering online, consider also buying some 1/8inch riser pads.  You might not need them, but then again you might.

5) You'll definitely need a skate tools, and you may want some wax.  I actually use wax to make a little mark or symbol on the nose of my board.  Gulf wax is cheaper than skate wax and seems to work just fine.

Now you should have a skateboard (or all the parts of a skateboard) plus one extra set of wheels and bearings.  Use the big wheels to get around smoothly, and the small wheels for learning tricks.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 11:28:42 AM »
Local shop.. an element Donny barley pro model. It might’ve been a special color or something, was gold. He was a local and I feel like the shop probably helped sway me in that direction. Glad they did.
Some spitfire wheels and independents.

FrostedPancake

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2020, 03:22:15 PM »

How did you choose your first board? My Mom bought it for me
Did you buy hundreds of wheels extra? Yes
Did you pick your first skateboard completely wrong? Probably
How did you find out whats the correct board for you? Breaking the old ones

Hope this helps

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2020, 03:57:36 PM »
Cousin who skated talking to me and my mom on the phone as we flipped through a CCS catalogue. Still managed to have the lamest setup ever. World industries slick and wheels. Luckies hardware and bearings. Probably Indy trucks. Don’t remember.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2020, 05:58:38 PM »
just buy a pre-built complete from your local skate shop

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 11:10:29 PM »
Black Label Deck, maybe 7.75
Thunders
Clear yellow Blind wheels
I don't remember the bearings.

I was supppper young so I don't even really remember skating it, just saw it in pictures.

Honestly, build your own custom complete. You can find stuff on sale and go from there, much better than a pre-built complete.

Put it together yourself as well, might as well learn.

I'd go for something like such

8-8.25 Deck (Mini logo blanks are decent)
Indy 144 or Thunder 148 Trucks
Spitfire or Bones, 51-54mm, 99A preferably
Mini Logo bearings or even some Reds
7/8s Hardware, go for 1' if you get a 1/8th Riserpad

then buy a pair of soft wheels (78-80A) and a pair of Mini Logo bearings (10$ usually) for cruising.

Invest in a Silver skate tool, worth every penny.

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 12:57:54 AM »
The wand chooses the wizard.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

dofrenzy

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 11:57:27 AM »

The questions are especially for the people who didn't have a skateboard shop around.

Fun questions!  When I was 45 I came across a Skateboard on Amazon. Powell Peralta Skull and Sword.

It was a complete board, no extra wheels.  When I bought the board, I didn’t know there were even different boards, never mind wheels.  Sure, I guess I assumed there were different makers but thought they were all the same boards (popsicle shape).   Really just totally clueless.  I don’t remember the skull-and-sword from being a kid, but damn when I saw it on Amazon it felt like a part of me (the graphic I mean).  The McGill skull-and-snake had a similar effect on me, but not as profound.

After having the board in my garage for 5 years I discovered there was a skatepark *in my town*!  And another bigger one in the next town over. I took my skull-and-sword to the park and learned to drop in on the 4-ft. Quarter-pipe (something I always wanted to do).  That was 9 months ago.  I looked up boards online and got some advice here a few months ago, and now have a wider board (8.5) and bigger wheels. 

My first pick wasn’t completely wrong,but it was a bit small, just under 8”.  With a size 10.5 foot, the 8.5” deck feels much more stable.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

noileum

• Rep: 29
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 06:32:46 AM »
You need this

https://powell-peralta.com/powell-peralta-geegah-skull-and-sword-skateboard-deck-pink-9-75-x-30

That was the shape of my first board - but I had the Ripper graphic in pink.

Mainly chosen as the only skate vids I had seen were P&P at the time, and the only store I could get to on a family holiday to the US didn't have a vallely in stock.  Matched up with black gullwing (street shadows I think) and some fluro green slimeballs.

I'm gutted I didn't get the Schmitt Stix Chris Miller - but as an 11 year old I was just stoked to be in a proper skate shop!

Proper late 80s style,

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 07:06:38 PM »
I just went by graphic i found the mike carroll board cool so i got it

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 28
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 08:23:40 PM »
First board was a Nash complete that I got for my birthday. It had ninja stars on it and it ruled. Everything on the board was made out of plastic and the wheels were hollow. The wheels shattered while I was learning ollies so I had to learn them stationary.

The board was a piece of shit and I loved it.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 08:44:41 PM »
Hello everyone :),
so I wanted to start skateboarding and because it would be quite boring without a skateboard, I wanted to buy one. I guess it's not necessary to mention that "well it's a board that rolls, how hard can it be to find one" was... well... not how it went.

A skateboard that's already complete seemed like a good idea but from all the guides I read the wheels never match what the guides say I need. The more I read the more I got confused.

I just wanted a skateboard to learn a few tricks and to get from A to B (for the next skatepark I would have to drive a hour). All wheels on the complete boards are 98A to 101A. But I read these are for skateparks because otherwise you would fall over every pebble. Then I read skateboards to use on the street need soft wheels and on the next site that street skaters need hard wheels?

"Damn that Darkstar graphic is sick!" - 14 YO me
Not that very day, but eventually
It got me started, so no. Would have gone with better trucks, my first pair had the kingpin nut extending above the hanger
Any board is correct for you, as long as you don't venture into the Shoes & Gear section of this forum

(PS: Sorry for any mistakes, but I didn't find a German skateboard forum that hasn't died at least 5 years ago.)

I hope you have a great day.

Can't go wrong with a 7.75-8, Thunder / Independent trucks, 52mm wheels, Bones Reds, cheap hardware, Mob grip. You'll figure out the rest as you go along.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

scottmiller

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 07:54:42 AM »
Choose the right skateboard
An important element in choosing your skateboard: the size of the board. It varies according to several criteria and models, such as longboards or cruisers.
First of all, if you want to use your skateboard on street furniture to perform your tricks, you must take a board located between 7.25 and 7.625 inches. If on the contrary, you prefer to use your skateboard in skateparks, opt for a board size between 7.625 and 8.25 inches.

The trucks, wheels and bearings of a skateboard
The trucks, skateboard accessories, are the connection area between the wheels and the board. There are different ways to tighten them depending on the use you want to make of your skateboard. The tall trucks are recommended for beginners or intermediate levels. In fact, they adapt very well to different skateboarding practices. The low trucks are rather intended for amateurs who wish to perform more complicated figures on ledges, for example. The bearings stand out thanks to the ABEC standard. The higher the number, the more the bearings accompany high-performance skateboards. They are more suitable for experienced amateurs.
For a child, ABEC 1 or 3 bearings will be preferred.
For adult beginners, the most common ABEC 5 are perfect.
For intermediate levels, ABEC 7 and 9 are recommended to gain speed and flexibility, except for skatepark fans that will suffer more shocks and will then keep ABEC 3 and 5.
Finally, the wheels are chosen according to their size and hardness. The harder the wheel, the faster and more sensitive it is to vibrations. This type of wheel is therefore not recommended for beginners or intermediate levels that will prefer softer wheels with better handling and are more comfortable.

secondhandstoke

• Rep: -448
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 01:04:32 PM »
i ripped off my first skateboard.  opportunity was there, i took it.  u cud say i didn't choose my first board it chose me haha
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 07:28:33 PM by secondhandstoke »

Fernandito

• Rep: -77
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2020, 07:55:06 AM »
I bought an element complete and some adio shoes because I was a huge fan of bam at the time

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2020, 12:23:21 AM »
I used to skate a Walmart board around the neighborhood and some real skater told me the graphic looked similar to a World Industries. WI was the only brand I knew because of him so when I asked for a board on my 7th bday, I asked for a WI.

As for finding what’s perfect, it’s all about trying new stuff out. Skating new sizes, shapes, etc. Not all at once, but with natural progression. Over time, you’ll find a relative size, shape, and the brands you like and dislike. You also may not like a size at first, but you might break it in perfectly to your liking.

fairydinkum

• Rep: 17
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 10:58:49 PM »
Went to a local skateshop when I was 12, before it was bought out by zumiez. Didn't know what I wanted but, after reading an interview from a pro, copied his setup and got an 8.0 blind deck, 5.0 venture low, 52mm shop wheels with shop bearings and bolts.

Nope skated em to the core, decided it was getting annoying and copped a free vintage set of firm wheels 60mm from a retired vert pro. I still skate the same wheel size to this day.

Yep, but it worked for me none the less. No regrets, loved skating that much that 60mm wheels on a 5.0 low truck didn't bother me. Skating it on a 8.0 deck wasn't too much a big deal.

Now I grew up 2 shoe sizes and skate a 5.8 hi truck. The trick is to emulate what you were used to back then and keep it to your proportion, figure 1 shoe size = you have to go 0.25 inches up from your current setup size. Works a charm! Currently skating an 8.5 deck.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2020, 06:13:29 AM »
How did i choose my 1st board? The graphic was cool and it was a Santa Cruz Tom Knox board back in 1991. Didn't even come with griptape 😂. 12yrs old at that time, just being in a skateshop for the first time and seeing all the stuffs there was already an exciting moment.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2020, 07:13:07 AM »
Yard sale off commercial Street in Marblehead. Rob roskopp face board was close to brand new.

I put Indy 2s and city streets on it. Was pretty good but really hard to flip.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)