Author Topic: How did you choose your first board?  (Read 2932 times)

Sluggloaph

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
Re: How did you choose your first board?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2020, 09:25:36 AM »
Got a shaped hand me down(94-95ish), jawn was pre thrashed for me to feel super rad. It had green tucks with like weird pink red softies. Any way... the griptape is supposed to be on there. Idk why but I took it of. Skated that shit for like 4 years. Keep the grip is the point of this hot trash post.
Whoa. Danger.

Wonderful Whizzplank

• Rep: 8
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2020, 12:45:24 AM »
Choose the right skateboard
An important element in choosing your skateboard: the size of the board. It varies according to several criteria and models, such as longboards or cruisers.
First of all, if you want to use your skateboard on street furniture to perform your tricks, you must take a board located between 7.25 and 7.625 inches. If on the contrary, you prefer to use your skateboard in skateparks, opt for a board size between 7.625 and 8.25 inches.

I've not seen or heard of boards below 7.5 since I started ten years ago. How old is this advice recommending decks 7.25-7.625?

In regards to the original post, I got a Blueprint 7.75 complete when I started, didn't go through hundreds of wheels. You can go plenty far on a 52-55mm hard wheel, and it'll still be good to do tricks on. All trucks turn, some do it better than others, this is less important cause you'll probably be tic-tacking everywhere anyway. Decks are mainly all good enough nowadays is they're from a proper skate shop, there's not really any need to avoid DSM or China wood as a beginner.

TL;DR go to a skate shop, pick what you like, and ask for recommendations on the hardware sizes if you're putting it together yourself.
Total newbie

Dong Hanglo

• Rep: 34
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2020, 10:42:53 PM »
zorlalc board had the cool graphics. easy.

wrTcHDfKN4nTZ

• Rep: 3
  • Glue
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2020, 02:05:43 AM »
Choose the right skateboard
An important element in choosing your skateboard: the size of the board. It varies according to several criteria and models, such as longboards or cruisers.
First of all, if you want to use your skateboard on street furniture to perform your tricks, you must take a board located between 7.25 and 7.625 inches. If on the contrary, you prefer to use your skateboard in skateparks, opt for a board size between 7.625 and 8.25 inches.

The trucks, wheels and bearings of a skateboard
The trucks, skateboard accessories, are the connection area between the wheels and the board. There are different ways to tighten them depending on the use you want to make of your skateboard. The tall trucks are recommended for beginners or intermediate levels. In fact, they adapt very well to different skateboarding practices. The low trucks are rather intended for amateurs who wish to perform more complicated figures on ledges, for example. The bearings stand out thanks to the ABEC standard. The higher the number, the more the bearings accompany high-performance skateboards. They are more suitable for experienced amateurs.
For a child, ABEC 1 or 3 bearings will be preferred.
For adult beginners, the most common ABEC 5 are perfect.
For intermediate levels, ABEC 7 and 9 are recommended to gain speed and flexibility, except for skatepark fans that will suffer more shocks and will then keep ABEC 3 and 5.
Finally, the wheels are chosen according to their size and hardness. The harder the wheel, the faster and more sensitive it is to vibrations. This type of wheel is therefore not recommended for beginners or intermediate levels that will prefer softer wheels with better handling and are more comfortable.

This is wack advice, like seriously wtf
Don't bother going below an 8 unless youre under like 4 feet tall, or you wanna be some kind of freestyle or tech wizard, but starting out you'll appreciate being able to balance on something wider than a thin plank.

And all that shit about abec ratings is full of shit, abec ratings are really only important in engineering where precision is essential to the function of a machine or whatever, a skateboard will never reach speeds that an abec rating would factor into its performance. Bones bearings don't even bother with abec they just call all their bearings skate rated. Interesting to look into if you like filling your mind with random information.

Anyone starting out should just go for an 8.25-5 depending on height, trucks to match, 52-54mm 99a duro wheels, standard bearings, a skate tool and that's it ya done, as long as it's all solid brands then there's not much that goes into it besides what takes your fancy. You develop preferences over time, and if you end up with something you don't like, change it, experiment, that's how it all works
Dude just pop...

Hombreezy

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2020, 07:20:13 AM »
My first board was from one of those discount sports stores so I ended up with a really shit quality Darkstar board that I only picked out because it had a cool graphic. Might’ve learned to shuv on that board, don’t remember as I was a kid. It wasn’t until later when I got a Nyjah element complete from zumiez that my ollies clicked and I learned a few flip tricks. That whole sentence is cringe but you gotta start somewhere. Just get a nice setup from the jump, none of that Walmart or zumiez shit

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2020, 11:55:16 AM »

How did you choose your first board?
Out of a Thrasher mail in order the ones that had a shitload of completes, I got a Ray Underhill Cross with Powell G Bones those wheels were HUGE......

Did you buy hundreds of wheels extra?
Nope my brother had lots to choose from so if I didn't like the size I'd give it to him or trade.

Did you pick your first skateboard completely wrong?
Nope, I had complete control I'd write everything down I needed or wanted if there was a hiccup say if they didn't have Indy's ok I'll get Thunders.

How did you find out whats the correct board for you?
Still haven't figured that out I am a madman about specs dimensions and wood quality I'll let you know about that one later on.

Now regarding completes I've never heard of the wheels not matching the guides unless you ordered the wrong parts say a 7.75" with 149's, though the main issue with completes in my eyes is yeah you might get a good deck, but the trucks/wheels/bearings will be arguably generic and while it would work for a beginner they're not great.

Sorry to steal this example but this is spot on a great observation to have and is quite true.  Now as I got in depth with skating and hanging out with others, after a while you'll figure out why this is taking a shit or why's these wheels chunking or bearings suck? well that's where the gear madness happens to be a part of.  Do your research and what gear you want.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 12:02:51 PM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2020, 04:33:10 AM »
Whatever complete a reputable skate shop will serve you right to start

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2020, 10:30:09 AM »
My first board was a T&C egg with action sports trucks and Alva rocks wheels. It was totally outdated when I got it but I freakin leraned how to ollie on it so I was stoked on that. Also, the wheels were black and they said ROCKS in white. Took a black marker and made em say FUCKS. I felt cool.

hot take

• Rep: -57
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2020, 11:12:36 AM »
I didn’t get to pick. But here’s what I was given

Andrew Reynolds baker
Black magic grip
Thunder trucks
Blank white wheels
Bones reds
Shortys hardware
Lucky riser pads