Author Topic: Street League  (Read 37249 times)

able

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Street League
« Reply #330 on: September 29, 2010, 08:34:03 PM »
douche    8)
ableSkateMag.com

daniel

• Rep: 35
« Reply #331 on: September 29, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »
i was at the skatepark tonight, totally expecting it to clear out at 8:00 EST.

but everyone stayed out & skated instead of hustling home for the final SLS event of 2010.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 737
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #332 on: September 30, 2010, 12:06:08 AM »
This was the first one I've watched on TV. Had I not known that Nugget had already one, I would've been into the drama between him and Cole. I would assume the next season(?) they'll do it live, and that would make for a much better watch. Also I think that since Berra,  and Bobby Diesel are catering towards the non skaters explaining tricks, they should have one skater that didn't make the cut for the finals come on each time as the guest commentator.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

codithou

• Rep: 41
« Reply #333 on: September 30, 2010, 09:20:02 AM »
Expand Quote
I get checks from Target... but I work there is this ok?
[close]
yes. maybe they will give you a discount on plan-b boards.

I get 10% off everything and sometimes 20% on target brand products. 

So far i've bought a desk and a lamp.  I use them everyday.

rlang

• Rep: 19
« Reply #334 on: September 30, 2010, 09:32:45 AM »
Quote from: daniel ? link=topic=46727.msg1281979#msg1281979 date=1285824899
i was at the skatepark tonight, totally expecting it to clear out at 8:00 EST.

but everyone stayed out & skated instead of hustling home for the final SLS event of 2010.

TIVO

Gnarles Barkly

• Rep: 1
  • N.W.I. Times
« Reply #335 on: September 30, 2010, 10:00:24 AM »
This was the first one I've watched on TV. Had I not known that Nugget had already one, I would've been into the drama between him and Cole. I would assume the next season(?) they'll do it live, and that would make for a much better watch. Also I think that since Berra,  and Bobby Diesel are catering towards the non skaters explaining tricks, they should have one skater that didn't make the cut for the finals come on each time as the guest commentator.
I think that and change up the "every trick counts" shit would make it alot more interesting and have some better obstacles. Also you should be able to skate the obstacles any way you want. It would be way sicker to see someone do a trick in the "creative section" from the small bank to the big bank.
skateboarding has got so fucking gay.

Local skater

• Rep: -28
« Reply #336 on: April 23, 2024, 05:16:00 AM »
Did anyone catch the san Diego street league? Felipe Gustavo switch flipped the gap for an 8.5 then braden hogan impossibled it for a 9.0 ?? Is this cos they want the hometown guy to win ? Shits rigged

Ghost Face

• Rep: 108
« Reply #337 on: April 23, 2024, 05:19:49 AM »
Your answer is in the last few posts of this: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=117902.0
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

work_lurker

• Rep: 69
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #338 on: April 23, 2024, 10:27:56 AM »
Did anyone catch the san Diego street league? Felipe Gustavo switch flipped the gap for an 8.5 then braden hogan impossibled it for a 9.0 ?? Is this cos they want the hometown guy to win ? Shits rigged

I went to the contest in person and let me say I had no idea it would almost be 9 fucking hours long. It started at noon, and didn't end until almost 9 pm. They need to streamline their shit. Having a knockout round, and then the finals immediately after doesn't make sense. Joslin fucking killed it in the knockouts, and had he just done every trick he landed.....again, 3 hours later...he would have won the whole thing.

That's a long day for the skaters too, with so many breaks in between them skating. Must be hard to be feeling good in the finals, after already skating and standing around all day. I'm cooked after like a 30 minute session, followed by a 5 minute conversation.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #339 on: April 23, 2024, 11:06:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I went to the contest in person and let me say I had no idea it would almost be 9 fucking hours long. It started at noon, and didn't end until almost 9 pm. They need to streamline their shit. Having a knockout round, and then the finals immediately after doesn't make sense. Joslin fucking killed it in the knockouts, and had he just done every trick he landed.....again, 3 hours later...he would have won the whole thing.

That's a long day for the skaters too, with so many breaks in between them skating. Must be hard to be feeling good in the finals, after already skating and standing around all day. I'm cooked after like a 30 minute session, followed by a 5 minute conversation.

@Local skater Flip tricks, switch tricks, and Switch flip tricks are always under scored. Since forever, so it's actually wild that hobad scored a 9. I feel like they also score on vibes sometimes, which i can agree in skateboarding has some merit.

@work_lurker They use to stretch it across the weekend. Open practice friday. knockouts saturday, finals sunday. I'm sure budget cuts got them to squeeze it into one day. I went to Chicago last year, where they did it in one day. The venue ran out of food and alcohol, before the finals started.

Joslin and Felipe, both looked spent in the finals. I know Joslin was actually hurt.

MrDuckey

• Rep: -80
« Reply #340 on: April 23, 2024, 11:41:31 AM »
Nyjah must be so mad that a real skater from the streets can casually enter and throw down hammers all day.

These days Nyjah doesn't even make the list of top 5 contest tryhards and you could probably go down a long list of 30 tough, gritty street skaters before getting to Nyjah

work_lurker

• Rep: 69
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #341 on: April 23, 2024, 12:21:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

@Local skater Flip tricks, switch tricks, and Switch flip tricks are always under scored. Since forever, so it's actually wild that hobad scored a 9. I feel like they also score on vibes sometimes, which i can agree in skateboarding has some merit.

@work_lurker They use to stretch it across the weekend. Open practice friday. knockouts saturday, finals sunday. I'm sure budget cuts got them to squeeze it into one day. I went to Chicago last year, where they did it in one day. The venue ran out of food and alcohol, before the finals started.

Joslin and Felipe, both looked spent in the finals. I know Joslin was actually hurt.

Yeah I saw Joslin get rocked in the shin by someone else's board, I think it may have been Giovanni's? Like right before the finals, dude got annihilated. I was expecting to see blood gushing out when he rolled his pants up to check it.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 43
« Reply #342 on: April 23, 2024, 02:23:25 PM »
Nyjah must be so mad that a real skater from the streets can casually enter and throw down hammers all day.

These days Nyjah doesn't even make the list of top 5 contest tryhards and you could probably go down a long list of 30 tough, gritty street skaters before getting to Nyjah

I wonder if you are

a) 12
b) afraid to go street skating
b) trying to write erotica fan fiction

Right answers only.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

apply today

• Rep: 6
« Reply #343 on: April 23, 2024, 08:04:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wonder if you are

a) 12
b) afraid to go street skating
b) trying to write erotica fan fiction

Right answers only.

all of the above