Author Topic: Worst board graphics ever?  (Read 76876 times)

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
Re: Worst board graphics ever?
« Reply #450 on: January 30, 2021, 10:49:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
That’s a evel knievel graphic
[close]

This other Black Label board is an Evel Knievel graphic too I guess.

[close]
Yeah... bad look for sure.

Trust me Lou, I'm not even close to scratching the surface of Black Labels history of extremely sus graphics.

DarkPools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #451 on: January 31, 2021, 12:32:03 AM »
I don't understand the people who think Real makes bad graphics. Nearly all of theirs have been simple, clean, or creative designs. Rarely have I seen a "Thank You"-esque or  "Revive" style  from them.  Sure, most can be middle of the road, but they're hardly the worst.

One of my picks for worst graphics is this, not sure if anyone else thinks so:
https://images.app.goo.gl/DPGUisqUTM8xVKz88
In fact, most of this brand's graphics are dogshit.
Super Champion Fun Zone

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #452 on: January 31, 2021, 06:53:04 AM »
I don't understand the people who think Real makes bad graphics. Nearly all of theirs have been simple, clean, or creative designs. Rarely have I seen a "Thank You"-esque or  "Revive" style  from them.  Sure, most can be middle of the road, but they're hardly the worst.

Real graphics are currently a lot better than before, the brand was tainted to me a long time ago already.

The graphics are mostly boring and I don’t like the look of the oval logo.

The colorschemes and typography used to look like it was created by someone who used to design websites, just busy and unappealing.

Just like the design started and ended in Adobe Illustrator. And then the dumb puns and word plays and rap music references that seem like they are trying to attract stoners and mall kids.

And then to mix things up you have on-offs with better production but poorer taste

I know this post is long, but hang in there

Now some of these examples were not the best representations of what I mentioned, but I lifted all of them from the same catalog that was the first result from Google to further drive home the point.

Real might not be the absolute worst in producing graphics, but they are the biggest and make up for it in quantity. I mean there’s still 2/3 more to that FA15 catalog alone.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #453 on: January 31, 2021, 07:31:23 AM »
Real gets a pass cos the product is amazing
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #454 on: January 31, 2021, 07:39:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Real graphics are currently a lot better than before, the brand was tainted to me a long time ago already.

The colorschemes and typography used to look like it was created by someone who used to design websites, just busy and unappealing.

Just like the design started and ended in Adobe Illustrator. And then the dumb puns and word plays and rap music references that seem like they are trying to attract stoners and mall kids.

And then to mix things up you have on-offs with better production but poorer taste

Now some of these examples were not the best representations of what I mentioned, but I lifted all of them from the same catalog that was the first result from Google to further drive home the point.

Real might not be the absolute worst in producing graphics, but they are the biggest and make up for it in quantity. I mean there’s still 2/3 more to that FA15 catalog alone.

Real went through the mid 2010s with some trash graphics. They've gotten better since the started incorporating stains.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #455 on: January 31, 2021, 07:50:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Real went through the mid 2010s with some trash graphics. They've gotten better since the started incorporating stains.
Yeah I like the new ones where the stain is a part of the graphic like the Silva Clean Air one or the Ishod peace one, those I could buy.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2151
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #456 on: January 31, 2021, 08:09:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Call me crazy, but I actually like the Hot Buns & Hang In There graphics.
I’m aware that this statement may place me squarely in the “bad people” camp, at least by SLAP metrics, but I likes what I likes. No apologies offered.
Also, I’m not bothered by the boring old Oval logo at all, as it was pert much their very 1st logo & they’re at least being consistent, if not bland.
Can’t stand that stacked format they used on the Low Down though, so maybe there’s a seed of redemption in me somewhere after all.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

burm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #457 on: January 31, 2021, 08:34:49 AM »
I think it’s cool that with the one-offs especially it seems the rider gets what they want and there isn’t a certain image they need to fit, like in that catalog there were some of the Ramondetta ones I liked. The kitty one is edgy and funny to some extent, the hot buns I just don’t really get. But like I said, not the worst in the business, and these ones not the worst by them, but for a while at least they consistenly made stuff that made me wanna pass even though the company is strong. I was actually specifically looking for a series where they had a bunch of rap quotes from like Biggie and Lil Wayne ”Bitch I’m the bomb like tick, tick” maybe 2010-2012, since I remember that one distinctively as the era where their art direction just reminded me of studying digital media in the early 2000s.

And the oval logo, just something about the font or the word itself looks so unappealing to me, but I realize it’s a personal thing.

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #458 on: January 31, 2021, 03:19:31 PM »
I love it when they play with their oval logo

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #459 on: January 31, 2021, 04:04:56 PM »
If Real made low pros again, I wouldn’t care about the graphic at all.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #460 on: January 31, 2021, 07:42:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Call me crazy, but I actually like the Hot Buns & Hang In There graphics.
I’m aware that this statement may place me squarely in the “bad people” camp, at least by SLAP metrics, but I likes what I likes. No apologies offered.
Also, I’m not bothered by the boring old Oval logo at all, as it was pert much their very 1st logo & they’re at least being consistent, if not bland.
Can’t stand that stacked format they used on the Low Down though, so maybe there’s a seed of redemption in me somewhere after all.
[close]

It's a funny thing because some whole catalogs I will not even blink twice at from which ever brand from DLX, be it Real, Krooked or Antihero, but others I look through now and think I have over half of those boards just in the one catalog, but I am very much a simple / plain graphics kind of guy too.

When I had a million of the black eagle, I would often spray out the middle just to have an all black board - after all it is the wood I am wanting, not the graphic, but others I realise I have kept purely because the graphic is so rad to me, which also might not be rad to someone else.

This is one to look through as well - damn there are some in there I am not keen on but others I thought were pretty cool.

http://www.realskateboards.com/spring-15-catalog/
Truth be told, my choices are based purely on proximity to a few dimensions that I favor. In point of fact, I don’t care for most of the graphics I have in my “warehouse” (closet) but I keep a couple/few rattle-cans of paint in there as well, so...

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #461 on: January 31, 2021, 08:50:56 PM »
LOL yes i love REAL (see my "setup thread" the whole 2020 i only skated Reals) and yes some graphics are very cartoonish but they also make sooo many nice boards.. ya'll just nitpicking while ignoring the dope things they make

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #462 on: January 31, 2021, 08:52:55 PM »
I really, really like his skating and style, which makes it so infuriating that they used a really shitty drawing that looks like it took took 4 minutes and a sharpie with afterthought cheap “Japanese-y” references put in afterwards.

The child who drew it has never seen a wave, a surfbord, nor a volcano in their entire life.

It’s complete garbage for such a gifted skater.

https://shop.ccs.com/polar-shin-sanbongi-freedom-wheel-well-on-a-surfshape-skateboard-deck-white-8-75
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #463 on: January 31, 2021, 09:26:18 PM »
LOL yes i love REAL (see my "setup thread" the whole 2020 i only skated Reals) and yes some graphics are very cartoonish but they also make sooo many nice boards.. ya'll just nitpicking while ignoring the dope things they make

That's how I see it, too.
If we are looking at roughly 20-ish years of Real and their graphics, they have had some absolute amazing ones: Huf (delivery one/UPS knock off), the early Thiebaud ones, and the Oval logo is one of the most consistent and inoffensive team boards (even Deathwish's Gang font gets a little mundane after awhile), plus they have done many spin-offs with that logo. See the watermelon one posted above. I regret not buying it, actually. Green is my favorite color, too.

Back on track, everyone has their opinion on graphics and I support whatever that it is. I just wanted to bring up that Real gets a lot of flack for being "meh" in graphics, when a majority of the graphics have not been that offensive. Even the Low Pro series posted above aren't bad. To me, those look pretty good and I don't think they're too busy or too Adobe, either. Again, there's preference and subjectivity to it all. Possibly, some of my original thought could have been posted in the Unpopular Opinion thread haha! Apologies for the slight derailment, but also, good on those who shared the less than desirable graphics from Real in here!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #464 on: January 31, 2021, 09:37:17 PM »
I hate the thrasher skate goat.   Don’t get why it’s an enduring logo or something people want tattooed on them, but then again, wannabe satanist stuff has never been my bag

veritas

« Reply #465 on: January 31, 2021, 09:43:51 PM »

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #466 on: February 01, 2021, 06:00:13 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CKuEtSBLl8q/?hl=en

I hate that skategoat one so much. Imagine calling yourself skategoat and that goofy/regular shit is so dumb

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #467 on: February 01, 2021, 06:18:49 AM »
Threw up in my mouth a little when I saw the ad for this Rip N Dip graphic in the newest Thrasher.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #468 on: February 01, 2021, 06:34:04 AM »
Those Bryte Graphics aren't that bad and you guys are reaching. Sure it's not polar, but they're really just average.

Real use to put out like 20 new graphics a season and half of them were bad. Now they do smaller releases with more carry over. Less bad graphics

assvogel

• Rep: 194
« Reply #469 on: February 01, 2021, 06:42:23 AM »
Those Bryte venn diagram graphics with are soooo sick, reminds me of AWS Don Pendleton graphics at their best with those carefully selected colors, layout and text-logo placement.

Yeah not really. That pro-model is pretty terrible too but at least it has something that could be called a "graphic".

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #470 on: February 01, 2021, 09:24:15 AM »
Real is like the pretty/ugly in certain lighting girlfriend from Seinfeld when it comes to graphics.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #471 on: February 01, 2021, 09:26:36 AM »
Real is like the pretty/ugly in certain lighting girlfriend from Seinfeld when it comes to graphics.

LOL

I love it

Deep cuts

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #472 on: February 03, 2021, 08:54:20 PM »
thank you supply
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #473 on: February 03, 2021, 08:57:15 PM »
thank you supply

Damn that's like a Neversoft back-stock on THPS 2

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #474 on: February 13, 2021, 06:26:29 AM »
Powell

Like... All of em

Particularly the lions and tigers
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Theseaorganization

• Rep: -41
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #475 on: February 13, 2021, 10:54:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Did anyone ever put out a board or series of boards with their pros as Southpark style characters?
If so those ones.
[close]

Blind?
[close]

Shortys

[close]

i had the team board and even if i dont watch south park anymore and kinda hate what it stands for it was one of the boards i wish i kept

Can I ask what you think it stands for and why you hate it?

snowballz

• Rep: -12
« Reply #476 on: February 13, 2021, 11:03:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Maybe not the worst, but I mean... thoughts?

[close]

2 stickers away from being literally a blank
[close]
I personally love the new Alltimers decks. Having a minimalistic design is not an inherently bad thing. Additionally Alltimers is kinda known for having funny kitsch graphics. These ones work really well imo.

Plus I'm like 99% sure the minimalism is a reference to a lot of the Ron Allen-drawn H-Street graphics, like the Danny Way Train graphic.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #477 on: February 13, 2021, 11:17:47 AM »
Wow so black label is definitely canceled

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #478 on: February 14, 2021, 07:59:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I personally love the new Alltimers decks. Having a minimalistic design is not an inherently bad thing. Additionally Alltimers is kinda known for having funny kitsch graphics. These ones work really well imo.
[close]

Plus I'm like 99% sure the minimalism is a reference to a lot of the Ron Allen-drawn H-Street graphics, like the Danny Way Train graphic.
Much love & respect to Wrong Alien, but he definitely did NOT draw any of those graphics.
I think you’re correct about the homage aspect, though.
That was a cheeky little thing for a minute.
I kinda appreciate what they’re doing with those Alltimers decks, actually.

snowballz

• Rep: -12
« Reply #479 on: February 15, 2021, 10:47:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Much love & respect to Wrong Alien, but he definitely did NOT draw any of those graphics.
I think you’re correct about the homage aspect, though.
That was a cheeky little thing for a minute.
I kinda appreciate what they’re doing with those Alltimers decks, actually.

Smh i’m a dumbass. it was Alfonzo Rawls, not Ron Allen.