Author Topic: Difference in FA/Hockey shapes  (Read 3397 times)

Daewons front truck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 30
Difference in FA/Hockey shapes
« on: February 08, 2023, 06:32:37 PM »

I am currently skating a 8.38 FA Deck, and my friend has a 8.38 hockey deck. I tried skating his board and it felt like the hockey deck has a little bit longer of a tail, and the FA deck felt like it had a stepper, squarer nose then the hockey and it felt like a tad shorter wheel base. I know they are sister companies so I figured they would have the same concave and kicks.  Do hockey and FA have different features or is it all in my head?

zozu

• Rep: 122
Re: Difference in FA/Hockey shapes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 10:04:42 PM »
If you guys ride different trucks it would probably give you that impression? I know Hockey have started selling some more standard popsicle shapes but afaik not in an 8.38.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 02:20:27 PM by zozu »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 10:17:42 PM »
Hockey has more of the shape 2 decks, which are more traditional and rounded. They make these mostly in 8.38 and 8.5, but FA does an 8.44 Nik Stain shape like this. It's likely you have one of these since yes they are otherwise the same.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 12:34:49 AM »

I've seen it on their 8.38 (Caleb Barnett pro debut) and their 8.44 (Baseball) graphics
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 03:05:35 AM »
As others mentionned, FA & Hockey have exactly the same decks. Before it was only Shape 1 (the shovel nose one). Now they have Shape 2 which is a more classic popsicle
Just a look at the nose is enough to spot them
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 01:33:20 AM by BALARGUE »

Daewons front truck

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 04:40:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've seen it on their 8.38 (Caleb Barnett pro debut) and their 8.44 (Baseball) graphics

This is good information, I think we both have shape 1  because I think the difference in shape 1 and 2 would be a lot easier for to discern. As someone mentioned earlier I guess it could be the difference in the trucks. I was using Indy hallows and he had some thunder lights.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 01:17:06 AM »
Thunders would extend the wheelbase
Indys would do the opposite and make the tail feel longer

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2023, 09:43:00 AM »
I’m riding the 8.38 popsicle shape right now. Coming from a Baker mellow, it took me like three or four sessions to get used to it. I like it fine.

zozu

• Rep: 122
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 02:21:55 PM »
Hockey has more of the shape 2 decks, which are more traditional and rounded. They make these mostly in 8.38 and 8.5, but FA does an 8.44 Nik Stain shape like this. It's likely you have one of these since yes they are otherwise the same.

My mistake I thought Hockey only sold the new shape and that they skipped 8.38 for the 8.44.

Daewons front truck

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 10:42:16 AM »
I’m riding the 8.38 popsicle shape right now. Coming from a Baker mellow, it took me like three or four sessions to get used to it. I like it fine.

Yeah they have some steep ass kicks man!

BrknBrds

• Rep: 16
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2023, 12:37:14 AM »
How is the concave in shape # 2 ? Mellow ? I’m talking about the deck not the kicks.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2023, 01:08:32 AM »
How is the concave in shape # 2 ? Mellow ? I’m talking about the deck not the kicks.
Shape #2 has more concave compared to shape #1

It looks really similar to an Antihero Classic Eagle shape (mid/high concave)

kicks are steeper btw

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2023, 09:37:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Shape #2 has more concave compared to shape #1

It looks really similar to an Antihero Classic Eagle shape (mid/high concave)

kicks are steeper btw

It's funny cause on the chart above, it shows the #1 Steep concave / shuvel nose while #2 shape as moderate concave / popsicle shape.  How that translates to the angle of the kick, vs the middle concave could be a different thing entirely though.

I know from standing on lots and skating a couple of the squared off FA / Hockey boards, they are way steeper than the average board anyway, seemingly both middle and angle of kicks but whether it is the specific mold or just a board that might have been on the top for Shape #2 that ended up steeper than the others.

Either way, at least those who like FA / Hockey boards should still like those ones, which ever shape they choose.

Also just curious, as they were ridiculously expensive a while back, but are they still right up there in the top price bracket or have they come down a bit now where you are?  Not a sale price but the RRP.  I am in Australia and every FA / Hockey board was upwards of 1.5 to 2 times the price of any other mid priced pro quality deck, but they seem to have dropped back down a bit here now.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2023, 09:24:43 AM »
you're right i was mixing comparison between shape #1 and #2 and comparison between shape #2 and that antihero classic eagle
let me rephrase it

shape #2 looks really similar to a classic eagle in terms of concave (middle of the board concave) BUT kicks are steeper on shape #2 compared to classic eagle

comparison between shape#1 and shape#2
more "middle of the board" concave on shape#2 than on shape#1
kicks are steeper on shape #1 than on shape#2

and of course with the nuances between the top and the bottom board in the press

Now for price in France, it settled around 100€ (for a few drops now) and doesn't seem to drop down.

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 82
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2023, 09:52:12 AM »
I bought a bunch from the sale and just to add the 8.44 shape in particular is slightly more mellow on the kicks and more pointy than either of the other shapes. Feels pretty much the same as an 8.5 eagle. The shape 2 is still pretty full and steep but not as much as the shape 1. At my local FA/hockey is still 65-70 but now deluxe/baker/limo are 75/80 (us). Been skating half off Chico stix and 20 dollar elements for a while now. Before the prices went up I was so particular about shapes now I kinda skate anything that’s on sale and it’s honestly kind of sick. The shove nose is def my favorite shape to skate and I miss it but I like changing it up constantly now and seeing how it changes my skating. The element I’m on has tiny kicks and I kind of love it

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2023, 11:29:18 AM »
I bought a bunch from the sale and just to add the 8.44 shape in particular is slightly more mellow on the kicks and more pointy than either of the other shapes. Feels pretty much the same as an 8.5 eagle. The shape 2 is still pretty full and steep but not as much as the shape 1. At my local FA/hockey is still 65-70 but now deluxe/baker/limo are 75/80 (us). Been skating half off Chico stix and 20 dollar elements for a while now. Before the prices went up I was so particular about shapes now I kinda skate anything that’s on sale and it’s honestly kind of sick. The shove nose is def my favorite shape to skate and I miss it but I like changing it up constantly now and seeing how it changes my skating. The element I’m on has tiny kicks and I kind of love it

i seriously don't see how anybody can justify spending $80 on a deck. if i can't get it for $35 at the most im not getting it lol

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 82
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2023, 12:04:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i seriously don't see how anybody can justify spending $80 on a deck. if i can't get it for $35 at the most im not getting it lol

Full agreement. I had no problem paying more when decks would last me longer but at this point they’re usually toast around 2-4 weeks so I can’t really afford to buy full price

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2023, 06:23:28 AM »

yes historically, before releasing shape#2 they had that 8.44" as an "experiment" before making it in all sizes

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2023, 09:50:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Full agreement. I had no problem paying more when decks would last me longer but at this point they’re usually toast around 2-4 weeks so I can’t really afford to buy full price

Just from my personal experience, the DLX boards I've skated this year have gone soggy/razored out a lot faster than before. I can get a month max before it feels like shit. FA/Hockey (maybe because they're steeper?) seem to last much longer, so I don't have an issue paying more for those even if they aren't on sale.