Author Topic: Last purchase you regretted  (Read 49567 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
Re: Last purchase you regretted
« Reply #360 on: August 10, 2021, 08:12:53 AM »
Sadly, the Emerica Pillar. The parts around the ankle feel very soft and not as supportive as I hoped.
IG: @flowterspace

ish_wav

• Rep: 94
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #361 on: August 10, 2021, 09:14:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Had my first delaminated board, I think ever, recently. That was a bummer.
[close]

I really wanted to skate a plan b board because nostalgia. I bought one and it was delammed pretty badly. I figured it happens and I bought a second one and THAT one was delammed too. I was pretty bummed.
[close]

Do you know if it was PS or HLC wood? I heard their last shipments of boards were HLC to the states as well, not just europe.

They were both Ps Stix

LebowskisRug

« Reply #362 on: August 10, 2021, 10:15:27 AM »
Ace Af1. 2 pivot cups crumbled, trucks just didn't live up to my hope that I could ditch forged Indy 144's

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #363 on: August 10, 2021, 10:26:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Indy 149 Standards. They're just too fucking heavy! My last setup was a Hockey 8.25 with Thunder 149 Hollows and those were fine, loved the pop feel, but they're too low and didn't feel good when riding, lots of wheelbite, and in some way, I didn't feel stable, and those are a bit too light for my taste. Kept the same shape for this setup and the indys achieve the leverage to pull the board up but I can't flip my board fast enough to catch my tricks high how I like and I get tired way too quick. I'm thinking about trying Venture 5.8 V-Lights, they seem to be hefty and tall but light to flip, if I don't get those I might get Thunder Standards.
[close]

Ever tried ace standards? Height and weight are between the two you mentioned, and the smaller WB should help with the short/steep kicks
[close]

In the country I live there isn’t a skateshop that sells Aces and importing them is too expensive
you should try thunder teams with 1/8 risers. you get that thunder turn without the wheelbite.

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #364 on: August 10, 2021, 03:30:02 PM »
bones six balls/ big balls or whatever....they trash bruh. don't fall for it
big texas cummer

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #365 on: August 10, 2021, 06:15:10 PM »

The local shop I grew up patronizing swears by them, but they've stopped carrying anything of relevance and focus on longboards and cruisers. I suspect they work better for non-impact skateboarding.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #366 on: August 16, 2021, 01:02:42 PM »
Rip Tide Pivot Cups..
So in 3 months, 3 pairs of these blew out.
The first 2 pair blew out on the bottom. Rear and front truck. Both had a hole in the "head"
The 3rd pair blew out on the side. They just broke in half.
Just a waste of money. Yeah they feel good but wft.
I ride indys 144 forged plate with blue indy conical bushings.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #367 on: September 06, 2021, 05:41:49 AM »
ES Accell Slim Plus - Worse shoe i've ever skated
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 42
« Reply #368 on: December 25, 2021, 11:13:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The local shop I grew up patronizing swears by them, but they've stopped carrying anything of relevance and focus on longboards and cruisers. I suspect they work better for non-impact skateboarding.

This! I had the reds 6 balls for a month and they blew out..... Now rolling on my G3s.
Just call me Daddy.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #369 on: December 26, 2021, 05:34:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Indy 149 Standards. They're just too fucking heavy! My last setup was a Hockey 8.25 with Thunder 149 Hollows and those were fine, loved the pop feel, but they're too low and didn't feel good when riding, lots of wheelbite, and in some way, I didn't feel stable, and those are a bit too light for my taste. Kept the same shape for this setup and the indys achieve the leverage to pull the board up but I can't flip my board fast enough to catch my tricks high how I like and I get tired way too quick. I'm thinking about trying Venture 5.8 V-Lights, they seem to be hefty and tall but light to flip, if I don't get those I might get Thunder Standards.
[close]

You should be looking at indy forged hollows... ticks all your boxes.

Ever tried ace standards? Height and weight are between the two you mentioned, and the smaller WB should help with the short/steep kicks
[close]

In the country I live there isn’t a skateshop that sells Aces and importing them is too expensive

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #370 on: January 05, 2022, 05:05:09 PM »
Krux bushings. I guess 92a is pretty damn soft in their world. Wasted my money on them and now I have to use the crappy Bones hards I had lying around, which will last a month, maybe.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #371 on: January 05, 2022, 05:22:06 PM »
2021 Ram because i put a bunch of money down got laid off a few weeks after buying it.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #372 on: January 05, 2022, 09:29:37 PM »
dc lynx og

they were on sale for ~$40 on ruze shoes so i bought a pair, didn't even think they would be good i just thought big and puffy would last forever.

i really should have bought like 5-6 im super bummed i can't get no lynx to skate fuck a lynx zero

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #373 on: January 06, 2022, 12:39:32 PM »
Another one for the bones big balls. I just wanted to clean them and found that every single plastic cage ripped. Some of them still spin fine but I don't think I'm gonna keep riding them.
I wish I would have kept the receipt

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #374 on: January 06, 2022, 12:47:21 PM »
Every set of Indys. Don't get me wrong, they feel okay and had no problems skating them but they always felt like something was missing. Never had Hollows though, do they feel any different?

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #375 on: January 06, 2022, 12:57:31 PM »
Every set of Indys. Don't get me wrong, they feel okay and had no problems skating them but they always felt like something was missing. Never had Hollows though, do they feel any different?

They, too, feel cool. It's like something's missing. That something isn't there.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #376 on: January 06, 2022, 01:25:55 PM »
My Bones Swiss 6 are going on 4 solid years. Clean them twice a year, zero issues.

I bought some local shop's "American Blues" bearings. Super slow out of the box. Removed the inner race shields and they were drenched in lube. Wiped it down and they're still pretty damn slow. Wanted to support them, but shoulda just gotten some Swiss or gave Bronson's a shot again.

BallparkFrank

• Rep: 11
« Reply #377 on: January 06, 2022, 02:35:13 PM »
Bike shorts

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #378 on: January 06, 2022, 05:30:14 PM »
Another one for the bones big balls. I just wanted to clean them and found that every single plastic cage ripped. Some of them still spin fine but I don't think I'm gonna keep riding them.

I love bones bearings, but the bones big balls have some defective cages for sure. 6 of my 8 were broken when I went to clean them. Super disappointed. Everything else bones I’ve had has been rock solid.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #379 on: January 07, 2022, 03:33:30 PM »

A mystery box, at what was a ridiculously cheap price just before Christmas.

Super good deal for a deck of the right size, wheels of the right size, tshirt and socks.  Everything the right size, actually (you could choose what size for every option).

Deck was a short wheelbase, wheels were soft cruiser wheels that I have seen before and are super slow, tshirt was recycled material which feels scratchy, socks were just weird.

Yes I am a big baby, but it was really good to be able to give them to others who would actually skate / wear them and be happy.

Never again buying anything except when I know exactly what it is and in the right size, shape, colour, etc.

Learned my lesson.

The shop just put up another mystery box today, which reminded me that a cheap deal is not always a good deal.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #380 on: January 07, 2022, 11:44:52 PM »

Thirded on the Bones Big Balls being absolute trash. Had the same experience as you guys, blew out in like a month and couldn’t be revived. Meanwhile I’ve had the same Bronson G3s in for over a year and only cleaned them once, still rolling great.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #381 on: January 08, 2022, 12:29:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thirded on the Bones Big Balls being absolute trash. Had the same experience as you guys, blew out in like a month and couldn’t be revived. Meanwhile I’ve had the same Bronson G3s in for over a year and only cleaned them once, still rolling great.

The shop I patronized growing up swore by them, said they were a great value bearing. Then I remembered that over the years they had pared down their skate inventory and sold more cruisers and longboards. My guess, Big Balls aren't great for skateboarding that requires impact.

Purchase I regretted:
2 DOA decks - nothing wrong with them, got them on impulse and my stack of decks is around 8 excluding those 2.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Rattus Localis

« Reply #382 on: January 08, 2022, 03:03:06 AM »
Two pairs of Cons Louie Lopez.

They look great and they're super comfy, but they fit me about half a size too big. I started skating the first pair around the time I sized my board down by a quarter inch. They felt like a pair of fucking clown shoes, but I persevered for a few weeks. I retired them on Friday night in utter disgust. Broke in a pair of Adidas 3MC yesterday that actually fit, and I'm never fucking looking back.

I might give the second pair to my dad or brother because they're the same size foot.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #383 on: January 08, 2022, 07:04:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The shop I patronized growing up swore by them, said they were a great value bearing. Then I remembered that over the years they had pared down their skate inventory and sold more cruisers and longboards. My guess, Big Balls aren't great for skateboarding that requires impact.

Purchase I regretted:
2 DOA decks - nothing wrong with them, got them on impulse and my stack of decks is around 8 excluding those 2.
@rocklobster I mean hey, if those decks are an 8.0 and you need somebody to take one one off of your hands...

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #384 on: January 08, 2022, 09:01:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Purchase I regretted:
[close]
@rocklobster I mean hey, if those decks are an 8.0 and you need somebody to take one one off of your hands...

8.25 unfortunately, and I'm in Asia, so shipping internationally is going to cost more than the boards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

disappointed

• Rep: 100
« Reply #385 on: January 09, 2022, 05:01:00 AM »

Super good deal for a deck of the right size, wheels of the right size, tshirt and socks.  Everything the right size, actually (you could choose what size for every option).

Deck was a short wheelbase, wheels were soft cruiser wheels that I have seen before and are super slow, tshirt was recycled material which feels scratchy, socks were just weird.

Yes I am a big baby, but it was really good to be able to give them to others who would actually skate / wear them and be happy.

Never again buying anything except when I know exactly what it is and in the right size, shape, colour, etc.

Learned my lesson.

The shop just put up another mystery box today, which reminded me that a cheap deal is not always a good deal.

Seems like you weren’t the only one that wasn’t thrilled... :-\

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #386 on: January 09, 2022, 07:13:59 AM »
Bought some Louie mids. Was excited because I love the regular Louie shoe. The mid version on the first session the day after Christmas tore a hole in my achilles heel and now I am trying to exist with not wearing shoes as much as possible so that it will heal.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #387 on: January 09, 2022, 07:51:20 AM »
Expand Quote

Learned my lesson.

[close]

mystery boxes are usually just overstock of unsold/unpopular product especially if it's a skate shop. You really gotta be down for the brand for it to work out.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #388 on: January 09, 2022, 12:28:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Learned my lesson.

[close]

[close]

mystery boxes are usually just overstock of unsold/unpopular product especially if it's a skate shop. You really gotta be down for the brand for it to work out.

Ah ha yeah @Damoforce internet famous...

But really, as Twist said, it is often overstock, but I think this one also had some brand backing - also given they are not brands I would associate with good quality product, but opinions aside someone can happily use those things, just not people like him, or me for that matter, but all this stuff I got found better homes anyway.

At the end of the day, it was a SUPER cheap deal from a shop, not a specific brand, so I am guessing they already had a deal in place for those wheels and I think a Sabbath deck would be an awesome wall hanger for someone (not my thing either though) but all up, the price barely covers the wholesale cost, so you cannot expect to get so much for free (including griptape, which the shop listing clearly said did not come with the box and does cost the shop enough to not make it viable to add it to that package).

I also keep and reuse those shipping bags, as they are great to store excess sheets of grip too - ah the irony.

The same shop has another mystery box going with four very specific deck brands, so I am guessing this is again a brand / product collaboration on the promo side of things.  The brands are decent deck brands too: Polar being one of them, but a one in four chance of getting a board I can actually ride is not a chance I am willing to take - I bought the right size DLX deck for about the same cost as the whole mystery box and feel much better about it, as well as getting free grip with it, from the same shop too, so you do get what you pay for in that regard.

Overall I had great service from the many times I had bought from there, so for what it is worth, I think they are doing a good job and will buy from them again, if I need to.  Just not a "mystery box" of something I don't know.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #389 on: January 09, 2022, 09:44:17 PM »
Expand Quote

Learned my lesson.

[close]

If you gave me 1000 guesses at what board I would get in a mystery box, I would not have even gotten the brand right on this one. That's hilariously bad.