Author Topic: Last purchase you regretted  (Read 49793 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
Re: Last purchase you regretted
« Reply #540 on: November 02, 2022, 01:06:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bought 3 studio boards on a dirt cheap deal (junkyard, euro sale thread) thinking that even if they are less good than bbs I can set up a new one early and have a fresh deck again. Turns out they already feel dead after 5 sessions and I have to change constantly now. Lesson learned, looking forward to the good ol' dlx boards again.
[close]

Clutch wood? Was tempted to pick up some Clutch decks on clearance but I can't recall the last time I rode 1.

I've seen a couple of brands (Magenta, Skate Mental, Traffic) trying to clear old stock of their Clutch boards from late 2021. I wonder if the retailer know these boards aren't as good as the regular stock, hence the prices.
[close]

Yeah, I was told it was clutch wood. You are probably spot on suspecting that retailers want to get rid of them for cheap prices. Maybe I got unlucky but it is still not worth it in my experience.
[close]

If you got a pic of the top ply stick that would help, I saw on the Woodshop thread Studio is by Control, which has mixed reviews. Last one I rode was decent, felt thicker than a BBS, stiff but still didn't have the snap of a BBS.
[close]

Pic is tricky as the board is all black, dipped. There is a sticker on the wrap that reads 'made in canada'. And in the middle of the 4 holes on the nose side there is a number embossed, in my case a 6. You can see some pics in the link

http://studioskateboards.com/products/weinstein-dark-flowers-skateboard
[close]

maple leaf sticker and the inch tall number on the top ply are control
[close]

I dont want too be pedantic but there is no maple leaf sticker on top

http://ibb.co/gjprpJM

not pedantic at all dude,

just moves it back to the unconfirmed category, there are other woodshops in canada after all

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #541 on: November 02, 2022, 06:43:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bought 3 studio boards on a dirt cheap deal (junkyard, euro sale thread) thinking that even if they are less good than bbs I can set up a new one early and have a fresh deck again. Turns out they already feel dead after 5 sessions and I have to change constantly now. Lesson learned, looking forward to the good ol' dlx boards again.
[close]

Clutch wood? Was tempted to pick up some Clutch decks on clearance but I can't recall the last time I rode 1.

I've seen a couple of brands (Magenta, Skate Mental, Traffic) trying to clear old stock of their Clutch boards from late 2021. I wonder if the retailer know these boards aren't as good as the regular stock, hence the prices.
[close]

Yeah, I was told it was clutch wood. You are probably spot on suspecting that retailers want to get rid of them for cheap prices. Maybe I got unlucky but it is still not worth it in my experience.
[close]

If you got a pic of the top ply stick that would help, I saw on the Woodshop thread Studio is by Control, which has mixed reviews. Last one I rode was decent, felt thicker than a BBS, stiff but still didn't have the snap of a BBS.
[close]

Pic is tricky as the board is all black, dipped. There is a sticker on the wrap that reads 'made in canada'. And in the middle of the 4 holes on the nose side there is a number embossed, in my case a 6. You can see some pics in the link

http://studioskateboards.com/products/weinstein-dark-flowers-skateboard
[close]

maple leaf sticker and the inch tall number on the top ply are control
[close]

I dont want too be pedantic but there is no maple leaf sticker on top

http://ibb.co/gjprpJM

[close]

not pedantic at all dude,

just moves it back to the unconfirmed category, there are other woodshops in canada after all

I thought Control was the main one, which other ones are there?

My rule of thumb when it comes to brands listing where their boards are from:
1) Made in Canada = Control
2) Made in Mexico = Clutch / PS Stix
3) Made in USA / Made by Generator = BBS / Generator

Clutch sticker and top marking
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 06:56:40 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #542 on: June 25, 2023, 11:16:57 PM »
I wasn't crazy about a S2 shape from Sour but something that I really regret is trying Jessup again.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #543 on: June 26, 2023, 09:51:24 AM »
Expand Quote
And nobody rocks the Jordan 1 in an NBA game so whats your point
[close]

I referenced the design/date because lebowski referenced it first, i was making a comparison to show how dated a design is or what the design was intended for doesnt necessarily dictate how good the shoe is to skate. Because despite this, 1's skate better than dunks.

Yah, both are technically super dated, which is my point. They're a lifestyle/aesthetics oriented shoe with little thought to performance. Their basic design (thin cupsole with modest midsole and thin insole) is found in basically any cupsole shoe (looking at you, Reebok Club C) and the only reason people care about them is because of the hype cycle that they have been part of since like 2005/2006 when they started doing limited releases.

I see your point about skate quality and I won't dispute that. I have skated and liked Jordan 1's that I get used for cheap. I don't think either shoe are worth their full price for skating compared to most modern cups that are not made by Lakai or some Sole Tech companies.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #544 on: June 26, 2023, 10:58:19 AM »
Should have done my homework and found out Ace Classics don‘t grind before copping them.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #545 on: June 26, 2023, 11:11:49 AM »
Should have done my homework and found out Ace Classics don‘t grind before copping them.

Different strokes I think. I got back in skating ventures so the aces grind considerably better to me. Not quite Indy level but I’ve found that they turn the best of the three and the grind is solidly in the middle.

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #546 on: June 26, 2023, 11:15:47 AM »
I’m about to close on a house. So probably that

boneless900

• Rep: 58
« Reply #547 on: June 26, 2023, 11:31:31 AM »
Snagged a shaped vision board from my local bc I wanted to try an old school deck, but I didn't have the skate history knowledge at the time to know gator's a real bad dude. I ended up with the Gator 2 since I liked the colors :(

The deck also has a bunch of holes bc I messed up mounting a tail bone and rails as well as drilled some new wheelbases. It's paired with the hollow ace bolts and powell dragons so make of that what you will  :-X

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #548 on: June 26, 2023, 12:19:56 PM »
It’s a shame Gator sucks because my feeble mind finds the geometric pattern reassuring and dependable. Also old enough that my first reaction to that graphic is jump ramps and childhood friends.

Bought a 12” pig that’s proving un-skatable, even as a fat-old-dude novelty setup.

Edit: realized my dumb ass put a 1/2” riser up front and an 1/8” in back. I’ll try it at 1/2” all around and see if it helps.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 11:36:49 AM by beandemon »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #549 on: June 26, 2023, 12:46:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Different strokes I think. I got back in skating ventures so the aces grind considerably better to me. Not quite Indy level but I’ve found that they turn the best of the three and the grind is solidly in the middle.

Note to self: Don‘t buy Ventures.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #550 on: June 26, 2023, 01:53:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don’t understand the “blank trucks don’t grind” thing, I’ve skated Thunders, Ventures, Indy’s, Aces, and Films kind of completely interchangeably over the last five years and basically don’t notice a difference at all, or at the most adapt to the differences pretty much immediately

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #551 on: June 26, 2023, 04:50:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I don’t understand the “blank trucks don’t grind” thing, I’ve skated Thunders, Ventures, Indy’s, Aces, and Films kind of completely interchangeably over the last five years and basically don’t notice a difference at all, or at the most adapt to the differences pretty much immediately

I think it’s just a matter of what you’re doing. Ventures grind pretty hard. I like them on painted/waxed curbs because chunky concrete is gonna be a hard grind no matter what. I had a set of Indy’s I was hitting slappies with and while I hung up less, they were definitely getting thrashed about twice as fast as my Vs

LebowskisRug

« Reply #552 on: June 26, 2023, 06:47:54 PM »
I've never heard of anyone claiming a Venture lasts longer on chunky stuff than an Indy it's usually the opposite.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #553 on: June 26, 2023, 06:55:22 PM »
I've never heard of anyone claiming a Venture lasts longer on chunky stuff than an Indy it's usually the opposite.

I dunno if it’s because all my Indys are hollow or my technique is different between trucks or what. Likely that I’m insane.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
« Reply #554 on: June 26, 2023, 09:32:34 PM »
I grabbed some shop decks in an online sale a while back 8.63 x 14.75. And they turned out to be clutch wood.

Gross. Gave them joints away at the park
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #555 on: June 26, 2023, 09:57:24 PM »
I grabbed some shop decks in an online sale a while back 8.63 x 14.75. And they turned out to be clutch wood.

Gross. Gave them joints away at the park

Why did you give up on Clutch? Too stiff and tapered?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #556 on: June 26, 2023, 10:33:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't remember any significant difference bit for sure Films grind is super weird and slow. Didn't worked for me.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #557 on: June 26, 2023, 10:37:31 PM »
Expand Quote
8.75 Quasi deck.

It started out flexy and got worse fast. Short tail, flat, soggy, flexy and razor tailed quickly. I swapped it out fast.

I’d blame it on the fact it’s a PS Stix deck but I have a Strangelove deck from PS Stix that feels great.
[close]

Dang, that’s my favourite shape in my quiver - I love it because it’s light (for a 8.75), flexy, short tail (6.7), 14.5 WB, and mellow. And it’s lasted me months (i skate about an hr a day). When I set up a 8.5+ BBS it just feels like an unresponsive stiff brick, but yeah I guess it’s what you’re used to, and if you’re coming from BBS they are really different and throw you off. Sorry, guess I’m just another PS apologist.

Last purchase I regretted was some f4 97, for street/sidewalk, just didn’t work out for me, too bumpy and slow for my crusty streets, my fault really. Switched out for 95 rictas, much better, and just stick to f4 101 for smooth ground.

very accurate