Author Topic: Last purchase you regretted  (Read 49822 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1193
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Last purchase you regretted
« Reply #330 on: October 09, 2020, 02:38:26 PM »
I’ve always wanted to skate an AH eagle.  Finally got one and hated it more than Pope Leo X hated the scathing appraisal of the Roman Catholic Church featured in The Ninety-five Theses by the heretic Martin Luther!  It’s just too long and too steep and my legs are far too frail to produce the power needed to pop that bitch.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #331 on: October 09, 2020, 08:02:41 PM »
I’ve always wanted to skate an AH eagle.  Finally got one and hated it more than Pope Leo X hated the scathing appraisal of the Roman Catholic Church featured in The Ninety-five Theses by the heretic Martin Luther!  It’s just too long and too steep and my legs are far too frail to produce the power needed to pop that bitch.
did you try switching heckride to hellride?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sketchyrider

« Reply #332 on: October 10, 2020, 08:59:01 AM »
starting to think i actually prefer the cheap stuff. jessup grip, bones 100s/spit classics, mini logo bearings, whatever bushings come stock, etc...the other stuff i regret spending more on.

pops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #333 on: October 10, 2020, 10:30:36 AM »
Emerica Dickson
-  heavy
- cardboard on inner soles
- normal size too long, half size down perfect length but too narrow around pinky toes
- heel lock system is a joke

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #334 on: October 10, 2020, 11:07:44 AM »
My $999 piece of shit Cult 29"
Dude at the bike shop was like Raphael in TMNT
"Tell me, you didn't pay money for this"

"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #335 on: June 03, 2021, 08:33:05 PM »

Got a lightly used one to try a 8.38 but the length and wheelbase were unmanageable. Length 31.75 and Wheelbase 14.25 made the board feel way too short even with Thunder forged. 1/3 of the session in and I was over it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #336 on: June 03, 2021, 08:54:33 PM »
I kinda regret buying the Lakai Carrolls (the latest ones) and skating them immediately. They look super fresh and skate really good but they don't last that long, so I kinda regret spending that much money on something with that durability

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2021, 08:58:17 PM »

Got a lightly used one to try a 8.38 but the length and wheelbase were unmanageable. Length 31.75 and Wheelbase 14.25 made the board feel way too short even with Thunder forged. 1/3 of the session in and I was over it.
probably was the itty bitty pintail

still want to try one someday even though past experience says it shouldnt work. carl aikens body of work on that shape is a hard sell to me, despite the slight gap in talent
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #338 on: June 03, 2021, 10:04:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

still want to try one someday even though past experience says it shouldnt work. carl aikens body of work on that shape is a hard sell to me, despite the slight gap in talent

Full-ish nose with a tapered tail, felt like I was riding a Penny board after riding 32" decks for a long time. Set up a 8.25 x 31.8 x 14 sample board I got, hopefully that scratches the madness itch.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #339 on: June 03, 2021, 10:37:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Full-ish nose with a tapered tail, felt like I was riding a Penny board after riding 32" decks for a long time. Set up a 8.25 x 31.8 x 14 sample board I got, hopefully that scratches the madness itch.
how steep were the kicks? crails fingers of flat screwed me on the couch with the 6.8" tail, thinking it wont matter as much @6.3"

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2021, 11:56:36 PM »
Kicks were pretty steep but concave felt flat across the center. Short and steep kicks definitely didn't help the deck.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #341 on: June 04, 2021, 06:12:46 AM »
Vans skate slip on. What a waste of money and time  :-\
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #342 on: June 04, 2021, 07:25:15 AM »
Couple sets of 53-54mm wheels. My box was seemingly deep in 56+, so I bought some smaller wheels. Apparently, I forgot I passed a couple larger sets along, and a couple larger sets are now down in the 54~ range. Shoulda gone bigger.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #343 on: June 04, 2021, 07:45:24 AM »
I don’t necessarily regret it, but the Polar deck I got has taken me getting used to than I’d like. Went up to 8.5 and it’s hard to figure out if it’s me or the board.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #344 on: June 04, 2021, 10:19:24 AM »
I don’t necessarily regret it, but the Polar deck I got has taken me getting used to than I’d like. Went up to 8.5 and it’s hard to figure out if it’s me or the board.
From which size are you coming from? Probably is the WB which is 14.5 on Polar 8.5
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #345 on: June 04, 2021, 10:33:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
From which size are you coming from? Probably is the WB which is 14.5 on Polar 8.5
It could be. I’m coming from an 8.25 with a 14” wheelbase. Steeper kicks and concave as well.

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #346 on: June 04, 2021, 10:40:01 AM »
Vans skate slip on. What a waste of money and time  :-\

Damn, I love my new skate slip ons, not as much as my Sk8-his though.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #347 on: August 04, 2021, 11:39:59 AM »
Adidas 3st.004, how the boost looks annoy the fuck out of me
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #348 on: August 04, 2021, 12:11:13 PM »
DC Evan Smith S's, the ones with the toe cap. I got them on clearance. I rolled my ankle every single time I skated in them. Theres like no structure or stability in them at all. And Bones Big Balls. They're terrible. Broke on me a week in.

sketchyrider

« Reply #349 on: August 04, 2021, 02:41:55 PM »
Bones v5 Spf. Nothing really wrong with them, I just feel like I realized I found a better wheel with oj mini combos and only used them once.

Before that it was a 917 deck. Thought it was a standard 8.6 popsicle, but it's really quite tapered like an egg. Idk if I'll ever use it.

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #350 on: August 09, 2021, 01:35:55 PM »
I got a sheet of jessup ultra grip tape (white paper back) for free with a deck purchase. As an avid skater of the non-ultra jessup (brown paper back), I have to say that the new ultra line is garbage that makes applying the grip a huge hassle. I'll stick to the non-ultra jessup thank you.

Shufflessss

• Rep: 34
« Reply #351 on: August 09, 2021, 03:21:42 PM »
Got some OJ nomads in 53mm and I think I haven't hated a wheel more. I thought It'd be nice for the rough Texas spots but all they did was make wheel bites hit harder. Even waxing my wheel wells I would stop instantly if I bit.
I don't rollerblade, I play ROLLER HOCKEY! I've been kicking haters like you to the curb forever

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #352 on: August 09, 2021, 03:26:51 PM »
Had my first delaminated board, I think ever, recently. That was a bummer.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
« Reply #353 on: August 09, 2021, 03:42:28 PM »
Brand?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
« Reply #354 on: August 09, 2021, 04:19:13 PM »

I really wanted to skate a plan b board because nostalgia. I bought one and it was delammed pretty badly. I figured it happens and I bought a second one and THAT one was delammed too. I was pretty bummed.

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
« Reply #355 on: August 09, 2021, 04:20:50 PM »
I got a sheet of jessup ultra grip tape (white paper back) for free with a deck purchase. As an avid skater of the non-ultra jessup (brown paper back), I have to say that the new ultra line is garbage that makes applying the grip a huge hassle. I'll stick to the non-ultra jessup thank you.

I skate Jessup Ultra pretty regularly. What on earth about applying it is a hassle?

Bruno_Herrera

• Rep: 1
« Reply #356 on: August 09, 2021, 10:11:33 PM »
Indy 149 Standards. They're just too fucking heavy! My last setup was a Hockey 8.25 with Thunder 149 Hollows and those were fine, loved the pop feel, but they're too low and didn't feel good when riding, lots of wheelbite, and in some way, I didn't feel stable, and those are a bit too light for my taste. Kept the same shape for this setup and the indys achieve the leverage to pull the board up but I can't flip my board fast enough to catch my tricks high how I like and I get tired way too quick. I'm thinking about trying Venture 5.8 V-Lights, they seem to be hefty and tall but light to flip, if I don't get those I might get Thunder Standards.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #357 on: August 10, 2021, 02:43:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really wanted to skate a plan b board because nostalgia. I bought one and it was delammed pretty badly. I figured it happens and I bought a second one and THAT one was delammed too. I was pretty bummed.

Do you know if it was PS or HLC wood? I heard their last shipments of boards were HLC to the states as well, not just europe.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #358 on: August 10, 2021, 06:17:27 AM »
Indy 149 Standards. They're just too fucking heavy! My last setup was a Hockey 8.25 with Thunder 149 Hollows and those were fine, loved the pop feel, but they're too low and didn't feel good when riding, lots of wheelbite, and in some way, I didn't feel stable, and those are a bit too light for my taste. Kept the same shape for this setup and the indys achieve the leverage to pull the board up but I can't flip my board fast enough to catch my tricks high how I like and I get tired way too quick. I'm thinking about trying Venture 5.8 V-Lights, they seem to be hefty and tall but light to flip, if I don't get those I might get Thunder Standards.

Ever tried ace standards? Height and weight are between the two you mentioned, and the smaller WB should help with the short/steep kicks

Bruno_Herrera

• Rep: 1
« Reply #359 on: August 10, 2021, 07:28:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ever tried ace standards? Height and weight are between the two you mentioned, and the smaller WB should help with the short/steep kicks

In the country I live there isn’t a skateshop that sells Aces and importing them is too expensive