Author Topic: Last purchase you regretted  (Read 49815 times)

silkroads

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Last purchase you regretted
« Reply #480 on: September 30, 2022, 06:00:23 PM »
Those pink Krooked riser pads. Not good with Thunders, too wide for them.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #481 on: September 30, 2022, 06:56:50 PM »
no offense to people above but, how many of y'all complaining about quasi's have bought older models at a discount?
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #482 on: October 12, 2022, 05:08:25 AM »
getting another deck

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #483 on: October 12, 2022, 05:25:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ventures
[close]
[close]
cant leave us hanging like this...without giving the WHY
[close]
I have a set of Venture Highs that I set up every once in a while after seeing a pro skate Ventures or when I end up with a board that's too flat. Flip trucks work great, but I cannot stand how they turn. I will switch them out for Thunder, Indy, or Ace within a week.
How do trucks change the concave of your board? That makes no sense.

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #484 on: October 12, 2022, 05:33:23 AM »
wheelbase not concave. do you know how trucks work?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
« Reply #485 on: October 12, 2022, 05:59:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ventures
[close]
[close]
[close]
I have a set of Venture Highs that I set up every once in a while after seeing a pro skate Ventures or when I end up with a board that's too flat. Flip trucks work great, but I cannot stand how they turn. I will switch them out for Thunder, Indy, or Ace within a week.
[close]

If a board (nose/tail) is very flat, you can't get a lot of power out of your pop. Depending on which trucks you choose, you can change your pop angle. Ventures make it steeper, possibly cancelling out the feeling of it being too flat.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 49
« Reply #486 on: October 12, 2022, 09:18:18 AM »
I just bought the Emerica Omega in Navy (non G6) and I was really underwhelmed. Synthetic suede all around the shoe, some odd silver accents. I wish I had gotten a pair of the all suede, because that synthetic suede is super floppy.

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #487 on: October 12, 2022, 10:09:20 AM »
Bought the vans oldschool skateboard version, absolutly love them but bought it in half size short and when i use them feel tue feets traped

I put them on sale, hope get some money back

huggernaut

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #488 on: October 12, 2022, 10:24:18 AM »
I just bought the Emerica Omega in Navy (non G6) and I was really underwhelmed. Synthetic suede all around the shoe, some odd silver accents. I wish I had gotten a pair of the all suede, because that synthetic suede is super floppy.

Felt the same way about the Gamma. Didn’t expect the synthetic parts and they felt not good at all. Very happy with basically all my other Emerica shoes.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #489 on: October 12, 2022, 10:27:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ventures
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

If a board (nose/tail) is very flat, you can't get a lot of power out of your pop. Depending on which trucks you choose, you can change your pop angle. Ventures make it steeper, possibly cancelling out the feeling of it being too flat.
Huh, that makes sense I guess. Never really thought about pop angle. I've been skating Ventures for a while on different board brands and they always feel good to me.

Schinken

• Rep: 66
« Reply #490 on: October 12, 2022, 11:48:13 AM »
ACE 44...

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #491 on: October 12, 2022, 11:58:23 AM »
ACE 44...

Interesting. The 44 Classics are my all-time favorite trucks. Care to elaborate what you don't like about them?

Schinken

• Rep: 66
« Reply #492 on: October 12, 2022, 01:26:10 PM »
Expand Quote
ACE 44...
[close]

Interesting. The 44 Classics are my all-time favorite trucks. Care to elaborate what you don't like about them?

Bought them in a sale out of curiosity.
Tried them a few times and couldn't/didnt want to get used to them. They made my board feel tippy and awkward. Ollies felt low and off. Unstable at higher speeds. I might give them another chance on board with a bigger wheelbase.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #493 on: October 12, 2022, 01:32:03 PM »
no offense to people above but, how many of y'all complaining about quasi's have bought older models at a discount?
All mine had been the newest drop. All ps stix. Maybe other brands use better ps wood but all the quasis I've had except 1 has crumbled like dried out but weirdly mushy cookies.

I noticed the first Dane model, the justin henry twin tails, and the latest crockett 8.5 have all been BBS. I wonder if they are flirting at doing it all there. I noticed GX recently made the switch completely to bbs.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #494 on: October 12, 2022, 02:26:58 PM »
Expand Quote
An UMA board, sadly. I dont know how they do it in states, but Im in Europe, and this one had MADE IN CHINA printed on it. I skated many boards that were made in China, so I didnt really gave a fuck, but it was too clunky, soft, thick, just overal not a great experience. I dont know what I was thinking.
[close]

Bummer, my last few UMAs were BBS (had the sticker)

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Didn't purchase but I was given a sheet of Pepper grip with a new deck purchase and it's making me want to throw the entire thing away. Theres grippy and then there is grippy to the point where you can't do a single fucking thing cause your feet do not move on the grip.
[close]
You just sold me on the pepper. That sounds great
[close]

Pepper is my current go to and is in no way 'too grippy' as is being implied in that post. Is it grippy? Yes, yes it is.

It's grippy without being sharp (like Mob). Go back to Jessup if you want less grip than Pepper.
[close]

How does grizzly fit into that spectrum?
[close]

I like grizzly and would put it up there with Pepper; I'd still pick pepper though, I like grip with perforations =D Prepper is grippier jessup / less chunky mob; closer to mob-m80 but feels like there's more/larger grit.

I have a woodworking side hustle and I have compared them to high end sandpaper:

Mob is 60 grit
Jessup is 80, Pepper seems to be 80 but better adherence to the backing.
Jessup Ultragrip is 60 grit
Mob M80 is, as you would expect, 80 grit
Grizzly feels like 100

Lower the number the grittier. There are big differences though if you are comparing different pad/paper materials but I compared to nicer cloth-backed sandpaper and swanky German orbital discs.

Personally speaking Mob is too much, Grizzly not enough, the rest are right in that sweet spot.

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #495 on: October 12, 2022, 05:07:21 PM »
I keep meaning to try some Pepper grip on my next deck.

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #496 on: October 12, 2022, 08:55:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
An UMA board, sadly. I dont know how they do it in states, but Im in Europe, and this one had MADE IN CHINA printed on it. I skated many boards that were made in China, so I didnt really gave a fuck, but it was too clunky, soft, thick, just overal not a great experience. I dont know what I was thinking.
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Didn't purchase but I was given a sheet of Pepper grip with a new deck purchase and it's making me want to throw the entire thing away. Theres grippy and then there is grippy to the point where you can't do a single fucking thing cause your feet do not move on the grip.
[close]
[close]

Pepper is my current go to and is in no way 'too grippy' as is being implied in that post. Is it grippy? Yes, yes it is.

It's grippy without being sharp (like Mob). Go back to Jessup if you want less grip than Pepper.
[close]

[close]

I like grizzly and would put it up there with Pepper; I'd still pick pepper though, I like grip with perforations =D Prepper is grippier jessup / less chunky mob; closer to mob-m80 but feels like there's more/larger grit.
[close]

I have a woodworking side hustle and I have compared them to high end sandpaper:

Mob is 60 grit
Grizzly feels like 100

Lower the number the grittier. There are big differences though if you are comparing different pad/paper materials but I compared to nicer cloth-backed sandpaper and swanky German orbital discs.

Personally speaking Mob is too much, Grizzly not enough, the rest are right in that sweet spot.
this sounds pretty legit from my experience, I love pepper, feels like mob to me but I don’t get grip thumb from a fresh sheet and my last five grips from mob all had at least one crease in them when I got them. My ocd goes crazy over griptape lol.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #497 on: October 13, 2022, 12:54:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ACE 44...
[close]

[close]

Tried them a few times and couldn't/didnt want to get used to them. They made my board feel tippy and awkward. Ollies felt low and off. Unstable at higher speeds. I might give them another chance on board with a bigger wheelbase.

Gotcha. The wider wheelbase should definitely help make your board feel more stable overall, at least in my experience. If you haven't totally given up on them yet, you might consider getting the Ace hard bushings. They offer significantly more stability but still turn great.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #498 on: October 13, 2022, 11:39:33 AM »
I spent 90$ At an italian restaurant a week ago with my girlfriend. I’m still not sure if it was worth it. Probably not

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #499 on: October 13, 2022, 01:40:58 PM »
I spent 90$ At an italian restaurant a week ago with my girlfriend. I’m still not sure if it was worth it. Probably not

No joke same thing went to a steak house with my girlfriend I wanted to try before COVID.  Her parents was watching the kid so we went for lunch. 2 years of me wondering if it’s good and $93 later appetizer was tight. Steak was pretty whatever.  I feel like after you figure how to grill a steak at home the way you like it most steak houses that I can afford aren’t as good as what I could have done.

thehogsniper

• Rep: 49
« Reply #500 on: October 13, 2022, 03:03:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Felt the same way about the Gamma. Didn’t expect the synthetic parts and they felt not good at all. Very happy with basically all my other Emerica shoes.
What one do you recommend first? I'm thinking of returning them.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #501 on: October 13, 2022, 05:03:58 PM »
Goddamn Old Bones Compression socks.

They are on sale, and I got a bunch thinking I’d sell them to friends on the cheap and recoup the shipping costs as well, but having them sent to Canada destroyed me with the import fees. Fuck.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #502 on: October 14, 2022, 06:52:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Mob is 60 grit
Grizzly feels like 100

[close]
this sounds pretty legit from my experience, I love pepper, feels like mob to me but I don’t get grip thumb from a fresh sheet and my last five grips from mob all had at least one crease in them when I got them. My ocd goes crazy over griptape lol.

Agree on pepper being really good, it feels like slightly grippier Jessup that doesn't lose its grip over time. Applies super easy too.

xrossings

• Rep: 61
« Reply #503 on: October 14, 2022, 07:42:36 PM »
i bought a copy of colin fiskes boston massacre on ebay that video was pretty shit tbh

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #504 on: October 14, 2022, 11:49:14 PM »
Loved the Santa Cruz Jake Wooten VX deck I rode a few weeks back - right amount of flex despite the layer inserts. Setup a board I had lying around with a carbon fiber top ply expecting a similar feeling. This one is way too stiff with zero flex, really painful to ride and it hasn't broken in after 4 sessions. I'm giving it a park regular next week.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #505 on: October 15, 2022, 12:01:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ACE 44...
[close]

[close]

I know they're not for everyone but I would say it took  more than a few times for me to really click with Aces. I skate fast all the time and they dont feel sloppy at all. I would say they work the best with 14.375 to 14.75wb.

badmanganjaspliff

• Rep: 2
  • You pies
« Reply #506 on: October 15, 2022, 03:00:29 AM »
Last resorts. Still like the way they look but rlly uncomfortable and didn’t work for my skating

huggernaut

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #507 on: October 15, 2022, 07:28:37 AM »
Loved the Santa Cruz Jake Wooten VX deck I rode a few weeks back - right amount of flex despite the layer inserts. Setup a board I had lying around with a carbon fiber top ply expecting a similar feeling. This one is way too stiff with zero flex, really painful to ride and it hasn't broken in after 4 sessions. I'm giving it a park regular next week.

Which brand was the one you didn’t like?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #508 on: October 29, 2022, 12:22:54 AM »
Cons one star pro, the old Lunarlon ones. Impossible to wear, they're murdering my pinky toes
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

wheelchair skitch

• Rep: -19
« Reply #509 on: October 30, 2022, 11:35:27 AM »
Got some dunks and thought I'd be cool, but boy are the tongues distractingly puffy. shit looks dumb as fuck looking down. i liked the thin tongues they used to have. Overall the profile used to be more narrow too.
BE LIKE WATER