Author Topic: Last purchase you regretted  (Read 49830 times)

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
Re: Last purchase you regretted
« Reply #510 on: October 30, 2022, 01:31:26 PM »
Miles Griptape, bought some sheets on sale thinking that will be a mix between Jessup and MOB but I was wrong. Definitely is closer to Jessup

I'm not hating it but I really regret not buying MOB, it also is wearing down really fast.

Scottboarding

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #511 on: October 30, 2022, 01:47:41 PM »
Miles Griptape, bought some sheets on sale thinking that will be a mix between Jessup and MOB but I was wrong. Definitely is closer to Jessup

I'm not hating it but I really regret not buying MOB, it also is wearing down really fast.
Pepper is the only non-mob griptape I’ve ever liked. Less grippy than Mob but holds its grip better than Jessup which is cool.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #512 on: October 30, 2022, 01:59:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Pepper is the only non-mob griptape I’ve ever liked. Less grippy than Mob but holds its grip better than Jessup which is cool.

Thanks for the info, would try it for sure.

I think that the extra 1/2 inch is a really good idea. I'm really tired of cutting 9" griptape to fit on a 9" board. Most of the shops doesn't carry wider griptape.

huggernaut

• Rep: 12
« Reply #513 on: October 30, 2022, 10:39:02 PM »
Nfg bushings.

Softer than expected and “stick” pretty bad.

ridethegutter

• Rep: 62
« Reply #514 on: October 31, 2022, 02:16:50 AM »
Ace af1 55’s. I want to like these trucks. The carve is amazing. They just don’t feel right no matter what board I put them on.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #515 on: October 31, 2022, 09:08:03 AM »
Ace af1 55’s. I want to like these trucks. The carve is amazing. They just don’t feel right no matter what board I put them on.

What doesn’t feel right to you?

Have you experimented with wheels of a different diameter and/or risers?

I’ve found that I enjoy Aces more with 55+mm wheels, 1/8th” risers, and on a deck thats got a wheelbase longer than 14.25”.

The added height, and slight change to the pop angle makes Aces feel much better for me even with the little bit of added weight.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #516 on: October 31, 2022, 09:20:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve found that I enjoy Aces more with 55+mm wheels, 1/8th” risers, and on a deck thats got a wheelbase longer than 14.25”.

The added height, and slight change to the pop angle makes Aces feel much better for me even with the little bit of added weight.

This. Indy's are great, but with my transition board, they're so low profile that I get insane wheelbite. Even with risers.

With Ace's, I can run the same board and wheels and not bite as much.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2022, 10:08:13 AM by TastyBurrito »

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #517 on: October 31, 2022, 09:23:11 AM »
8.75 Quasi deck.

It started out flexy and got worse fast. Short tail, flat, soggy, flexy and razor tailed quickly. I swapped it out fast.

I’d blame it on the fact it’s a PS Stix deck but I have a Strangelove deck from PS Stix that feels great.

ridethegutter

• Rep: 62
« Reply #518 on: October 31, 2022, 12:53:34 PM »
I feel like I have to exert more energy just to ollie onto a ledge with af1’s. Crooks feel like crap. The lock-in on transition coping feels off.

Expand Quote
[close]

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #519 on: October 31, 2022, 03:18:06 PM »
I feel like I have to exert more energy just to ollie onto a ledge with af1’s. Crooks feel like crap. The lock-in on transition coping feels off.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I tend to only like aces on steep decks. The steep kicks balances out the loose dull feeling pop I usually experience with aces for me.

IpathCats

« Reply #520 on: November 01, 2022, 09:47:53 AM »
Honestly, Dunks.

I've been skating Jordan 1 mids/highs almost exclusively for a while and saw a pair of the fausts for retail in my size so i got them. I wore them around for a while to break in like i do with all my shoes. I even took some extra time to do so with these because they are so bulky.

After my first few sessions in them I much prefer the Jordan 1. Dunks feel like boots comparatively, way less boardfeel and flexibility. The toebox doesnt work with my foot shape as well either.

I think the eyelets and placement of them are a bit better than 1's though.

It's weird to me that the shoe "designed for skateboarding" could be so much harder to skateboard in. I know a lot of this is just my subjective opinion, but i feel like the lack of boardfeel and super stiffness are two pretty objective flaws. And generally speaking I value those things less than most people, I like hightop cupsoles. I'm not out here skating last resorts or anything slim and flimsy like that.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #521 on: November 01, 2022, 11:56:18 AM »
I mean, it was a shoe designed for skateboarding in like, 2003? It hasn't really been substantially updated since then except for the insole. Maybe it doesn't have to be for some people and they like it. In cutaway pics I see of it it doesn't look that thick and midsole isn't super massive by any means. Maybe it is the materials used that give you that feeling?

I had some Dunk Lows last year that I liked the performance of. I sold them because I can't reliably get them. I didn't like the tongue or heel collar area thickness of them, but they did feel a bit more flexible. I think my main gripe is that for $120+ I expect a bit more from a shoe myself. I see that Tiagos are $100-$110, but they have more support, more effective padding, and better board feel for me. People love Emerica G6, which are now $90-$100 but Emerica has put effort into their designs in the last 2 decades even when people get harsh on them.

IpathCats

« Reply #522 on: November 01, 2022, 12:13:28 PM »
I mean, it was a shoe designed for skateboarding in like, 2003? It hasn't really been substantially updated since then except for the insole. Maybe it doesn't have to be for some people and they like it. In cutaway pics I see of it it doesn't look that thick and midsole isn't super massive by any means. Maybe it is the materials used that give you that feeling?

I had some Dunk Lows last year that I liked the performance of. I sold them because I can't reliably get them. I didn't like the tongue or heel collar area thickness of them, but they did feel a bit more flexible. I think my main gripe is that for $120+ I expect a bit more from a shoe myself. I see that Tiagos are $100-$110, but they have more support, more effective padding, and better board feel for me. People love Emerica G6, which are now $90-$100 but Emerica has put effort into their designs in the last 2 decades even when people get harsh on them.

The jordan 1 was designed for basketball in like 1984 and hasnt been substantially updated since then either.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #523 on: November 01, 2022, 12:21:47 PM »
And nobody rocks the Jordan 1 in an NBA game so whats your point

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 132
« Reply #524 on: November 01, 2022, 09:51:14 PM »
Palace 775 deck.
I used to like em but got so used to 7.5 flat as fuck.
Nothing more comfy than a flat board.
And some regular non sb dunks. Shit shoes compared to sbs.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #525 on: November 02, 2022, 02:39:09 AM »
Last resorts. Still like the way they look but rlly uncomfortable and didn’t work for my skating
First week in mine sucked, but got better.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #526 on: November 02, 2022, 02:55:06 AM »
I’m sure many have said this but the Indy red aftermarket bushings.

Stopped by Uprise, bought a pack and they suck. I suck too because I knew this prior but had a good set or two in the past.

Ended up putting the stock oranges in and everything is everything.

IpathCats

« Reply #527 on: November 02, 2022, 06:03:30 AM »
And nobody rocks the Jordan 1 in an NBA game so whats your point

I referenced the design/date because lebowski referenced it first, i was making a comparison to show how dated a design is or what the design was intended for doesnt necessarily dictate how good the shoe is to skate. Because despite this, 1's skate better than dunks.

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #528 on: November 02, 2022, 06:33:47 AM »
I bought 5 Boards off FA for 120$ shipped. Which is a great deal but I already have 11 boards in the quiver. 

I switch from Nike blazer to vans crocket hi.   Love the Crockett but have had a foot injury ever since switching.  I blame it on the shoes and landing primo.  Hoping to skate this weekend finally.

I have five pairs of Crocketts. Not a fan of pop Cush
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

IpathCats

« Reply #529 on: November 02, 2022, 06:38:52 AM »
I bought 5 Boards off FA for 120$ shipped. Which is a great deal but I already have 11 boards in the quiver. 

I switch from Nike blazer to vans crocket hi.   Love the Crockett but have had a foot injury ever since switching.  I blame it on the shoes and landing primo.  Hoping to skate this weekend finally.

I have five pairs of Crocketts. Not a fan of pop Cush

Before the dunks, the crocketts were def the last shoe purchase i regretted.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #530 on: November 02, 2022, 06:45:12 AM »
Bought 3 studio boards on a dirt cheap deal (junkyard, euro sale thread) thinking that even if they are less good than bbs I can set up a new one early and have a fresh deck again. Turns out they already feel dead after 5 sessions and I have to change constantly now. Lesson learned, looking forward to the good ol' dlx boards again.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #531 on: November 02, 2022, 07:26:26 AM »
Bought 3 studio boards on a dirt cheap deal (junkyard, euro sale thread) thinking that even if they are less good than bbs I can set up a new one early and have a fresh deck again. Turns out they already feel dead after 5 sessions and I have to change constantly now. Lesson learned, looking forward to the good ol' dlx boards again.

Clutch wood? Was tempted to pick up some Clutch decks on clearance but I can't recall the last time I rode 1.

I've seen a couple of brands (Magenta, Skate Mental, Traffic) trying to clear old stock of their Clutch boards from late 2021. I wonder if the retailer know these boards aren't as good as the regular stock, hence the prices.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

devils acrobat

« Reply #532 on: November 02, 2022, 07:35:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Clutch wood? Was tempted to pick up some Clutch decks on clearance but I can't recall the last time I rode 1.

I've seen a couple of brands (Magenta, Skate Mental, Traffic) trying to clear old stock of their Clutch boards from late 2021. I wonder if the retailer know these boards aren't as good as the regular stock, hence the prices.

Yeah, I was told it was clutch wood. You are probably spot on suspecting that retailers want to get rid of them for cheap prices. Maybe I got unlucky but it is still not worth it in my experience.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #533 on: November 02, 2022, 07:50:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, I was told it was clutch wood. You are probably spot on suspecting that retailers want to get rid of them for cheap prices. Maybe I got unlucky but it is still not worth it in my experience.

If you got a pic of the top ply stick that would help, I saw on the Woodshop thread Studio is by Control, which has mixed reviews. Last one I rode was decent, felt thicker than a BBS, stiff but still didn't have the snap of a BBS.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

burner

• Rep: 91
« Reply #534 on: November 02, 2022, 08:45:38 AM »
8.75 Quasi deck.

It started out flexy and got worse fast. Short tail, flat, soggy, flexy and razor tailed quickly. I swapped it out fast.

I’d blame it on the fact it’s a PS Stix deck but I have a Strangelove deck from PS Stix that feels great.

Dang, that’s my favourite shape in my quiver - I love it because it’s light (for a 8.75), flexy, short tail (6.7), 14.5 WB, and mellow. And it’s lasted me months (i skate about an hr a day). When I set up a 8.5+ BBS it just feels like an unresponsive stiff brick, but yeah I guess it’s what you’re used to, and if you’re coming from BBS they are really different and throw you off. Sorry, guess I’m just another PS apologist.

Last purchase I regretted was some f4 97, for street/sidewalk, just didn’t work out for me, too bumpy and slow for my crusty streets, my fault really. Switched out for 95 rictas, much better, and just stick to f4 101 for smooth ground.

devils acrobat

« Reply #535 on: November 02, 2022, 09:50:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

If you got a pic of the top ply stick that would help, I saw on the Woodshop thread Studio is by Control, which has mixed reviews. Last one I rode was decent, felt thicker than a BBS, stiff but still didn't have the snap of a BBS.

Pic is tricky as the board is all black, dipped. There is a sticker on the wrap that reads 'made in canada'. And in the middle of the 4 holes on the nose side there is a number embossed, in my case a 6. You can see some pics in the link

http://studioskateboards.com/products/weinstein-dark-flowers-skateboard

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
« Reply #536 on: November 02, 2022, 11:03:58 AM »
Wore my telefords yesterday and I guess I don’t fully regret buying them but the whole time I was thinking I wish these were just dunks.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #537 on: November 02, 2022, 11:24:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Pic is tricky as the board is all black, dipped. There is a sticker on the wrap that reads 'made in canada'. And in the middle of the 4 holes on the nose side there is a number embossed, in my case a 6. You can see some pics in the link

maple leaf sticker and the inch tall number on the top ply are control

IpathCats

« Reply #538 on: November 02, 2022, 11:29:28 AM »
Wore my telefords yesterday and I guess I don’t fully regret buying them but the whole time I was thinking I wish these were just dunks.

Or better yet OG telfords.

devils acrobat

« Reply #539 on: November 02, 2022, 12:48:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

maple leaf sticker and the inch tall number on the top ply are control

I dont want too be pedantic but there is no maple leaf sticker on top

http://ibb.co/gjprpJM