Author Topic: Say something honest..  (Read 54193 times)

JamesFardy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Say something honest..
« Reply #360 on: February 15, 2020, 05:01:27 PM »
Jamie Thomas being like 19-20 and motivating the toy machine team to film, edit and have closing part in Welcome to Hell is really insane.

flintstagram

• Rep: 84
« Reply #361 on: February 15, 2020, 05:55:38 PM »
It bums me out that I’ve had like 25 years of trying tre flips and heel flips and can’t do either. What’s the secret to those? I can kickflip. I even used to switch kickflip so it’s not like I have no flatground skills.

As a 35 year old who just landed his first tre flips this year, here's the advice I can give:

Hang your toes off the side of the tail, keep your foot in the pocket area.

Scoop really hard with your back foot.

Keep your weight back. I often look at the wheel on my toe side back truck right before I pop to make sure my head is in line with it.

Keep your shoulders closed.

Jump straight up. Not forward, not to the side. Straight up.

Tell yourself tre flips are easy. Once you get the motion down, the flip is almost effortless.

That's what's been working for me. I don't have them down every try, but they're really fucking close.

Good luck. You can do this. Also, don't be scared to watch a youtube video or twelve about it. There's a lot of good info out there.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #362 on: February 15, 2020, 06:05:31 PM »
Ishod's slumped shoulder droopy arm landing fake steeze is worse than Dylan's monkey arm landing fake steeze.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #363 on: February 15, 2020, 06:07:19 PM »
T R U T H

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #364 on: February 15, 2020, 06:11:31 PM »
Ishod's slumped shoulder droopy arm landing fake steeze is worse than Dylan's monkey arm landing fake steeze.

It annoys the shit out of me how people say this. Like there’s nothing fake about intentionally doing something to make it look better. Gymnasts, surfers, ice skaters, numerous other people who are judged on aesthetics do this. The dogtowners, the bones brigade, the big cats had all been coached to have better hand and arm positions. Would you call Steve cabs style fake? How about alvas or peraltas? Get the fuck out of here with that fake stress bullshit. If you can make it look that good whether it’s by intentional thought or not it’s still your style, and fact of the matter is if you have had coaching like this(like myself and all the big cats) after about a year or two it becomes natural and u don’t even think about it. Y’all are mad dumb every single time I see this stupid fucking bullshit.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #365 on: February 15, 2020, 06:43:40 PM »
Expand Quote
It bums me out that I’ve had like 25 years of trying tre flips and heel flips and can’t do either. What’s the secret to those? I can kickflip. I even used to switch kickflip so it’s not like I have no flatground skills.
[close]

As a 35 year old who just landed his first tre flips this year, here's the advice I can give:

Keep your weight back. I often look at the wheel on my toe side back truck right before I pop to make sure my head is in line with it.

Tell yourself tre flips are easy. Once you get the motion down, the flip is almost effortless.

That's what's been working for me. I don't have them down every try, but they're really fucking close.

Good luck. You can do this. Also, don't be scared to watch a youtube video or twelve about it. There's a lot of good info out there.

You and cheetahsheets have inspired me to try them. Didn't land any but I feel like I'm getting closer to the motion of the scoop. I can't get the board to flip enough but land on the underside of the board.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Classy Durag

• Rep: 62
« Reply #366 on: February 15, 2020, 06:43:45 PM »
Did I mention I have man tits

flintstagram

« Reply #367 on: February 15, 2020, 06:45:45 PM »
I used to ride for the worst board brand in the late 90s. If someone can guess the brand I'll send them a package

New School.

flintstagram

« Reply #368 on: February 15, 2020, 06:48:59 PM »
I'm almost 36. I'm skating better now than I ever have before (which still isn't very good), and I'm going go have to have surgery for a hip impingement. I won't be able to skate for 5 months after, and it absolutely fucking terrifies me. I'm so worried that I won't get back to where I'm at now, and it freaks me out. A lot.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 969
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #369 on: February 15, 2020, 06:53:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How you gonna slide a rail if you can’t Ollie up a curb?
[close]

I don't know.
[close]

Caveman that shit son

also slappies get you up curbs. Shit get a lapper or a cell block and just do a little manny and mash into curbs. That's how I learned to get up curbs. Just slam into that shit. Its Mad fun.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #370 on: February 15, 2020, 06:56:47 PM »
I'm almost 36. I'm skating better now than I ever have before (which still isn't very good), and I'm going go have to have surgery for a hip impingement. I won't be able to skate for 5 months after, and it absolutely fucking terrifies me. I'm so worried that I won't get back to where I'm at now, and it freaks me out. A lot.

36 soon and skate better now too.

bucketoftruth

• Rep: 12
« Reply #371 on: February 15, 2020, 07:04:09 PM »
Dear skateboarding,
I am angry with my generation for wishing for skate parks so hard. We had no idea how boring it would make you. I am so sorry.
<3
-a bucket of truth.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #372 on: February 15, 2020, 07:14:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You and cheetahsheets have inspired me to try them. Didn't land any but I feel like I'm getting closer to the motion of the scoop. I can't get the board to flip enough but land on the underside of the board.

Are you getting the spin and staying over it but the boards not doing a full flip? Describe the symptoms of your board flip ailment please, the big cat is shining down on you to do this son! Get it G!

“Big Money
Big Cars

Mickey Knox

• Rep: -32
« Reply #373 on: February 15, 2020, 07:18:00 PM »
Lately I’ve kind of been bugging on this and I would love some of yall’s opinion. When I was young I skated by myself all the time. Session my flat bar, ledge spot, or the local indoor ramp for hours without thinking anything weird about it. I’m 27 now and live in an area where I don’t know a lot of people and mostly skate parks. I meet up with some new friends sometimes but for the most part l just show up and see who’s there. I’ve been noticing lately that when there’s a good amount of people at the park I skate better and harder than if there’s only a few randoms. I’m worried that the main reason I skate now is to get that pat on the back from the shredders or a few cheers from the peanut gallery. Been going through some depression and people praising me at the park gives me this hollow sense of accomplishment. Has anyone else thought about this? I feel like I’m skating for others more than myself and it really bums me out and makes me feel like a kook. I feel more comfortable on my board than I have in a long time but I’m starting to question why I even do it. Existential crisis type of feeling. Please help.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #374 on: February 15, 2020, 07:29:40 PM »
Lately I’ve kind of been bugging on this and I would love some of yall’s opinion. When I was young I skated by myself all the time. Session my flat bar, ledge spot, or the local indoor ramp for hours without thinking anything weird about it. I’m 27 now and live in an area where I don’t know a lot of people and mostly skate parks. I meet up with some new friends sometimes but for the most part l just show up and see who’s there. I’ve been noticing lately that when there’s a good amount of people at the park I skate better and harder than if there’s only a few randoms. I’m worried that the main reason I skate now is to get that pat on the back from the shredders or a few cheers from the peanut gallery. Been going through some depression and people praising me at the park gives me this hollow sense of accomplishment. Has anyone else thought about this? I feel like I’m skating for others more than myself and it really bums me out and makes me feel like a kook. I feel more comfortable on my board than I have in a long time but I’m starting to question why I even do it. Existential crisis type of feeling. Please help.

Well Mickey the Lion is here to help. Since I’ve been young I’ve always had crowds gathered around me at skate parks. It’s a blessing and a curse. It’s great to get that sense of acknowledgement and that hey look at me, and it’s also very nice when u session a park that’s very crowded but has little space because you can basically snake anyone and they will just back down and they won’t like be pissed, they will be like the big cat just fucking took his turn over me and feel flattered. Like you know u basically at a certain level get to have a my wave my beach mentality, so u know I’m not gonna complain about the perks I get. It’s annoying when everyone wants to come up and talk to you though or like you realize they are just staring at you. It’s almost like you feel like you have an obligation to show them stuff instead of like practicing and working on what you wanna work on. It’s fun to flirt with boys and girls by doing tricks in front of them. I remember one of the best pool skaters of this generation and I were having an all day session together and he was like you must get more chicks then any other skater in the world. I felt flattered especially coming from him, but it’s funny because even though I know I could get whatever I wanted from a lot of women/men on a skateboard I feel too shallow, and I’m a big cat, big cats cannot use there skateboarding for exploitation like being pro, or getting bitchs, that is the big cat way. We are only allowed to give back, we are honor bound to help out skating as a whole, that is the way of the big cat. I feel you though it definitely makes you feel good about yourself when hundreds of kids at a park are only paying attention to you. It helps you get into the zone for sure, like oh these people are here to watch me now even tho that wasn’t there plan today; aight might as well give em a show.

“Big Money
Big Cars

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #375 on: February 15, 2020, 07:52:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Are you getting the spin and staying over it but the boards not doing a full flip? Describe the symptoms of your board flip ailment please, the big cat is shining down on you to do this son! Get it G!

Board is spinning 360
Flipping 1/2 way
Board isn't staying under me / spinning way in front of me
I'm landing in weird positions, shoulders are pointing straight
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mickey Knox

• Rep: -32
« Reply #376 on: February 15, 2020, 08:25:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well Mickey the Lion is here to help. Since I’ve been young I’ve always had crowds gathered around me at skate parks. It’s a blessing and a curse. It’s great to get that sense of acknowledgement and that hey look at me, and it’s also very nice when u session a park that’s very crowded but has little space because you can basically snake anyone and they will just back down and they won’t like be pissed, they will be like the big cat just fucking took his turn over me and feel flattered. Like you know u basically at a certain level get to have a my wave my beach mentality, so u know I’m not gonna complain about the perks I get. It’s annoying when everyone wants to come up and talk to you though or like you realize they are just staring at you. It’s almost like you feel like you have an obligation to show them stuff instead of like practicing and working on what you wanna work on. It’s fun to flirt with boys and girls by doing tricks in front of them. I remember one of the best pool skaters of this generation and I were having an all day session together and he was like you must get more chicks then any other skater in the world. I felt flattered especially coming from him, but it’s funny because even though I know I could get whatever I wanted from a lot of women/men on a skateboard I feel too shallow, and I’m a big cat, big cats cannot use there skateboarding for exploitation like being pro, or getting bitchs, that is the big cat way. We are only allowed to give back, we are honor bound to help out skating as a whole, that is the way of the big cat. I feel you though it definitely makes you feel good about yourself when hundreds of kids at a park are only paying attention to you. It helps you get into the zone for sure, like oh these people are here to watch me now even tho that wasn’t there plan today; aight might as well give em a show.
Wow, I really hope you weren’t being sarcastic because this just spoke to me in so many different ways. It’s like you can feel all those eyes on you and your like welp, not learning any tricks today. Stick to the old faithful lines and give em what they want. Kids always ask why I don’t post anything on Instagram or try to get sponsored and I don’t really have a good answer for them. A hot older woman with great tits came up to me the other day and told me I was really fun to watch and I kind of brushed it off and some kids were giving me shit for not talking to her. None of it feels right and I’ve always tried to go with my gut. I hope your not fucking with me because that response helped me a lot. Thanks cheetah. That part about snaking was the best.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #377 on: February 15, 2020, 08:38:09 PM »
I’m 36 and like Ben K’s Hockey II part  : :-X

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #378 on: February 15, 2020, 09:02:12 PM »
I live in the cold. I’m a huge bitch and I barely skate between sometime in November and February unless I can go to a parking garage/tunnel. I can also skate my garage when my roommates aren’t storing stuff in there. But still, it’s cold and I bitch out quick unless the temperature is greater than -5.

I tell myself if I ever reinstate my licence/get a car, it will be way easier to get to indoor spots I can skate in the winter. I hope I’m not lying to myself.
Sounds cold as fuck.  Do you live in the Midwest or Canada?  I grew up in North Dakota.  I moved to the nw but can recall the cold garage, barn and underground parking garage sessions.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #379 on: February 15, 2020, 09:05:18 PM »
fat bill?

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #380 on: February 15, 2020, 09:15:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Wow, I really hope you weren’t being sarcastic because this just spoke to me in so many different ways. It’s like you can feel all those eyes on you and your like welp, not learning any tricks today. Stick to the old faithful lines and give em what they want. Kids always ask why I don’t post anything on Instagram or try to get sponsored and I don’t really have a good answer for them. A hot older woman with great tits came up to me the other day and told me I was really fun to watch and I kind of brushed it off and some kids were giving me shit for not talking to her. None of it feels right and I’ve always tried to go with my gut. I hope your not fucking with me because that response helped me a lot. Thanks cheetah. That part about snaking was the best.

Cheetah is never sarcastic on here when he’s got the long posts. It really is a double edged sword and no one here would understand better then this big cat.

“Big Money
Big Cars

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #381 on: February 15, 2020, 09:23:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Board is spinning 360
Flipping 1/2 way
Board isn't staying under me / spinning way in front of me
I'm landing in weird positions, shoulders are pointing straight

Back shoulder should be pointing at the angle of the back knee, and obviously your front shoulder should be 180 degrees from it. If it’s spinning way in front you’re trying to flick it. Can you do non popped 3 shuvits? Think of that with a kind of flick down of the toe and not kick out of ankle like a kickflip. It’s going in front of you because you are trying to kick it out like a kickflip. Try to do a 3 shuv non popped where you pressurize the rail with your toe on it enough to make it flip over. Like do a 360 rail pressure flip before giving it that ollie scoop if it’s tough. Or do the shitty no comply thing I mentioned in some earlier posts.

“Big Money
Big Cars

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #382 on: February 16, 2020, 12:22:00 AM »
i also had one of those iconic JFA stickers on the top, between the two pieces of grip, which i thought was the coolest shit in the world, until I remember quite vividly Bill Tocco walking up and going: “What’s JFA stand for, just another fucking attitude?

That's because you had the wrong sticker on. JAFA has to be some nardcore band from Aladdinville.

geneparmesan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #383 on: February 16, 2020, 12:22:48 AM »
I find the baggy pants goofy boy 90s comeback really gross. Cromer, Crockett and Austyn's skating looked way better when they had the clean slim fit dark pants style. Also for the life of me can't understand why young women think mom jeans and big white sneakers is a good look. I get that fashion is cyclical, but it's a style I wish would have stayed dead.

As much as I appreciate being able to see all the pros skating on IG I think it's had a truly harmful impact on skateboarding. We are completely jaded and spoiled when it comes to footage and the mystique of pros is long gone. Now it's incredibly obvious that most pro skaters aren't that bright, when in the past we could project onto them whatever we wanted. 

And social media and technology in general has lead to a generation of spoiled, emotionally weak narcissists. As much as it was supposed to connect everyone it's actually had the opposite effect. The rate of depression, suicide and bullying is higher than ever before. For all the positives of it I'd love to go back to how things were in the 90s with limited internet connection and the web being a wild, free place populated by outcasts and people who were nerdy about specific topics.

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #384 on: February 16, 2020, 12:41:03 AM »
I find the baggy pants goofy boy 90s comeback really gross. Cromer, Crockett and Austyn's skating looked way better when they had the clean slim fit dark pants style. Also for the life of me can't understand why young women think mom jeans and big white sneakers is a good look. I get that fashion is cyclical, but it's a style I wish would have stayed dead.

As much as I appreciate being able to see all the pros skating on IG I think it's had a truly harmful impact on skateboarding. We are completely jaded and spoiled when it comes to footage and the mystique of pros is long gone. Now it's incredibly obvious that most pro skaters aren't that bright, when in the past we could project onto them whatever we wanted. 

And social media and technology in general has lead to a generation of spoiled, emotionally weak narcissists. As much as it was supposed to connect everyone it's actually had the opposite effect. The rate of depression, suicide and bullying is higher than ever before. For all the positives of it I'd love to go back to how things were in the 90s with limited internet connection and the web being a wild, free place populated by outcasts and people who were nerdy about specific topics.

Agreed. Not saying pants need to go back  to skin tightness, but form fighting looks better on 97% of people.

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #385 on: February 16, 2020, 03:35:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tried the back truck thing and landed five consecutive treflips bolts.  Thanks Dude!

marty mcfly

« Reply #386 on: February 16, 2020, 03:54:11 AM »

thank you!!!!this is so true!
i’m born in 84 so almost my whole schooltime was in the 90s and we never had girls wearing That stuff!
imo lots of pros looking better skating in tighter pants!
Im not going to buy another baggy pants with 35years,Thats for sure!!!levis 501 for the win!

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #387 on: February 16, 2020, 04:03:50 AM »
Damn that is genuinely scary. Good luck. I hope it works out for you and you can get back to a new prime after you recover safely.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #388 on: February 16, 2020, 04:07:00 AM »
Everyone giving tre flip advice: here’s my best advice, learn them on a bank: not a steep bank but a middle or mellow bank, try the tre flip once your speed almost stops, that’s great practice for being able to do them on on flat.
I had not done a 360 flip since 2015 until 2020, I’ve only done it twice but it was at two dif skate parks on 2 dif banks, and it felt much more comfortable than trying it on flat.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

drcroc

« Reply #389 on: February 16, 2020, 07:06:03 AM »
I like the way Chris Cole dresses but not the way he skates.

I always thought those "Reign skate shop" T-shirts were pretty cool with the like gothic drippy font.  Just looked it up and the shop went out of business. Add it to the pile of skateboarding T-shirts I'll never own, another one being the Bummer High mini-van shirt.