Author Topic: Say something honest..  (Read 54170 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
Re: Say something honest..
« Reply #600 on: February 23, 2020, 04:37:24 PM »
I just moved so it's not my local shop but if we're being honest, I hated my local shop. It's just one big clique. If you aren't part of it then it's awkward as fuck going in and trying to shop. It gets all shitty quiet and weird, like everyone just stops talking when you walk in. Beyond that, they act all inclusive and then go and have a trick contest for the shop. Except that contest is at a warehouse that's address isn't published online. So you have to know someone that knows where it is or go out of you way to contact someone that will tell you. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but as I don't have instagram I didn't have a way of messaging anyone. And really, I shouldn't have to. Having a contest at a secret bowl or whatever the fuck it is is just a testament to how much of a clique that place is. Super uninviting place and after going in multiple times, trying to support the shop and either just being ignored/snubbed or just seeing the low stock of fairly expensive skate shit I just gave up. What really bums me out is I'll look at their instagram and shit and they always throw shade and talk shit about how you should go out of your way to support your local shop, than they just act like cold pricks when I go in. And I know I'll catch shit for this. Especially because people seem to just love this shop but I've been to other shops around the area(shout out to holistic in Reading) and they were nothing but super nice and went way out of their way to make everyone that goes in feel welcome  and both my girlfriend (who went in without me so I know it's not just me and my shitty personality), and the two people I usually skate with say the same shit about this place. Cliquey, uninviting, overpriced(which I don't even mind if the rest of the shit is alright) and understocked.

Again I know I'll catch shit for this but More was the last good shop in Lancaster county.

Wait, so are they posting it on Instagram and you're missing it because you don't have Instagram? I'm not trying to be rude and argue cuz I agree that vibey shops are lame, but this sorta sounds like a personal problem.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #601 on: February 23, 2020, 05:59:06 PM »
I have a hard time appreciating goofy skaters because I’m a dyslexic fuck who’s regular. I’ve used BA’s mirror trick while watching parts a few times.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #602 on: February 23, 2020, 06:07:58 PM »
Expand Quote
I just moved so it's not my local shop but if we're being honest, I hated my local shop. It's just one big clique. If you aren't part of it then it's awkward as fuck going in and trying to shop. It gets all shitty quiet and weird, like everyone just stops talking when you walk in. Beyond that, they act all inclusive and then go and have a trick contest for the shop. Except that contest is at a warehouse that's address isn't published online. So you have to know someone that knows where it is or go out of you way to contact someone that will tell you. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but as I don't have instagram I didn't have a way of messaging anyone. And really, I shouldn't have to. Having a contest at a secret bowl or whatever the fuck it is is just a testament to how much of a clique that place is. Super uninviting place and after going in multiple times, trying to support the shop and either just being ignored/snubbed or just seeing the low stock of fairly expensive skate shit I just gave up. What really bums me out is I'll look at their instagram and shit and they always throw shade and talk shit about how you should go out of your way to support your local shop, than they just act like cold pricks when I go in. And I know I'll catch shit for this. Especially because people seem to just love this shop but I've been to other shops around the area(shout out to holistic in Reading) and they were nothing but super nice and went way out of their way to make everyone that goes in feel welcome  and both my girlfriend (who went in without me so I know it's not just me and my shitty personality), and the two people I usually skate with say the same shit about this place. Cliquey, uninviting, overpriced(which I don't even mind if the rest of the shit is alright) and understocked.

Again I know I'll catch shit for this but More was the last good shop in Lancaster county.
[close]

Wait, so are they posting it on Instagram and you're missing it because you don't have Instagram? I'm not trying to be rude and argue cuz I agree that vibey shops are lame, but this sorta sounds like a personal problem.

Nah the address isn't published, even on instagram where it's advertised. it's whatever, just not the most inclusive place when I can't show up unless I'm friends with someone who knows where it is. Doesn't help me but even more,  it doesn't help the kid looking to meet people to skate with. Most people don't want to have to message somebody and ask them where a contest is because its at some invite only location or whatever.

Saint Coke

« Reply #603 on: February 23, 2020, 06:52:21 PM »
Midwest Weather sucks. I am stoked on Darren Navarrette and I like vert skating more than most of street footage out today.

Jerrys Kid

• Rep: 56
« Reply #604 on: February 23, 2020, 07:08:05 PM »
I don't like watching Spanky skate.

I want to like him and I appreciate that he came back from almost getting booted from the industry, but it is just dull to watch his uninteresting trick selection on LA banks in every part of his.

Dr Dew

« Reply #605 on: February 23, 2020, 07:23:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nah the address isn't published, even on instagram where it's advertised. it's whatever, just not the most inclusive place when I can't show up unless I'm friends with someone who knows where it is. Doesn't help me but even more,  it doesn't help the kid looking to meet people to skate with. Most people don't want to have to message somebody and ask them where a contest is because its at some invite only location or whatever.

maybe you should have made an instagram account and DMed him like a man

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #606 on: February 23, 2020, 07:24:47 PM »
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #607 on: February 23, 2020, 07:26:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Would much rather complain about it on slap. Plus that's just a single example to my original complaint which is that it feels like a clique and generally uninviting
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:37:27 PM by drewsmahgoos »

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #608 on: February 23, 2020, 08:21:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Would much rather complain about it on slap. Plus that's just a single example to my original complaint which is that it feels like a clique and generally uninviting
Yeah a lot of core shops are basically toxic coolguys, but what's the other option, wackass Zumiez? Won't. This is skateboarding. Even buying decks online, physically seeing the wood and shape is important - what if some fried dumbass sends a slightly warped one? Not trying to recite any exchange policies. Not a fan of excessive pleasantries either, unless there's a friendlier context and we happen to be chilling for a minute. I never ask them to grip the shit either, that's for me to do, my board. It's not a required service but more of a courtesy thing towards customers that wouldn't know how. But it does annoy me when they're huffing and puffing mad about someone asking and basically vibing the customer as if they asked for a fucking kidney. Just don't shop there then. Even if you have to drive further and buy two at another shop, what's wrong with that?

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #609 on: February 23, 2020, 09:05:32 PM »
I'm too poosey to skate street spots alone and I don't skate tranny so I just get in the way at the park trying to skate the ledges. At almost 40, my only solace is that I still have solid pop.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #610 on: February 24, 2020, 05:56:56 AM »
I wish more girls skated street...less vert

vape culture

• Rep: 2
« Reply #611 on: February 24, 2020, 06:55:23 AM »
Expand Quote
allston park, lincoln park, hyde park, lynch, random street spots/curbs i find. whenever i drive by something i like ill jot it down in my phone notes and skate it if i have the time. i was skating this wall to vert thing by MIT a couple weekends ago, hella fun stuff.
[close]

Hyde Park redo is pretty good. Gets crazy on weekends. Seen the design for new Quincy?

nah post link please

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #612 on: February 24, 2020, 07:02:58 AM »
I won't post clips on Instagram because I generally skate alone and think filming yourself past a certain age is depressing to do and see.

squintharder

« Reply #613 on: February 24, 2020, 08:50:29 AM »
I have absolutely no interest in any little kids on insta that have all this gnarly park and contest footage. Rayssa leal, Don't give a flying fuck. Show me some street footy and I'll put some respect on her name

vape culture

• Rep: 2
« Reply #614 on: February 24, 2020, 09:52:43 AM »
I won't post clips on Instagram because I generally skate alone and think filming yourself past a certain age is depressing to do and see.

hard disagree. whenever a homie puts out a clip it gets me hyped and vice versa. there's a difference between posting a clip and a selfie.

edit: spelling

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #615 on: February 24, 2020, 10:37:22 AM »

That Luke Elliott guy on Instagram actually inspires me for that reason, he's in his 40's, films himself by putting his phone down at spots all the time (in fact he just took a year off work to focus on skating) and a mutual friend eventually told me that it was the guy's way to cope with sobriety which I reckon is definitely a healthier investment of time. He just doesn't give a fuck what everybody else in town is doing and solo skates the more far-fetched spots in creative ways, as a form of expression I think it's pretty sick. Not a personal dig, but in general I tend to think what's depressing to do and see is how many people use their age as an excuse to stop doing this kind of stuff and cover that they're essentially giving in on what society dictates to them is cool or not. The best part of being an adult in a relatively free country is being able to go skate a curb and maybe even learn something new at 3 AM on nights where you can't sleep, and I think retaining that type of freedom may be important for personal fulfillment.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:39:16 AM by silhouette »

Yu Dum

« Reply #616 on: February 24, 2020, 11:44:09 AM »
I've lost half my flip tricks because I barely skate nowadays... I guess this is aging.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #617 on: February 24, 2020, 12:44:07 PM »
Most of the new pals are pretty wack
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

drcroc

« Reply #618 on: February 24, 2020, 03:37:27 PM »

If you're gonna say, "past a certain age" you've gotta be specific.  What age? 29? 30?

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #619 on: February 24, 2020, 03:55:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hard disagree. whenever a homie puts out a clip it gets me hyped and vice versa. there's a difference between posting a clip and a selfie.

edit: spelling

I feel like I shouldn’t film clips anymore with my phone because of this reason, but then I send them to my favorite skaters ever and they lose their minds so I really don’t know at this point.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #620 on: February 24, 2020, 04:57:23 PM »

maxwells demon

• Rep: 0
« Reply #621 on: February 24, 2020, 06:26:28 PM »
Expand Quote
ill never understand how grown men can ride scooters. i wish i had that inability to feel shame
[close]

bro at like every park here theres teenagers riding these hella souped up and nice razor scooters here.

yeah but if youre going to ride something that could rip your spleen out at least go for a bike

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #622 on: February 24, 2020, 06:39:07 PM »
Some of the music I couldn't be bothered to listen to in the 90's I'm actually really enjoying now.

For example, I am now a Nirvana fan and I used to hate REM when I would see Michael Stipe around town, but now I like their records.

maxwells demon

• Rep: 0
« Reply #623 on: February 24, 2020, 06:43:44 PM »
also, native californian here, boston has a way nicer and welcoming skate scene than anywhere in california.

was in the Bay area for about 5 year before moving to Mass (now here 5 years) and I found them both to be pretty accommodating...but Im old and skate mainly transition so that might be the difference...there are jerks everywhere though..

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #624 on: February 24, 2020, 08:15:31 PM »
You ever have the staff give you shit for the product you choose? Thats always fun

Just happened to me this weekend. Hit the shop up on insta... like a man. Asked if they had a certain deck in stock and if they could send a pic cause I wanted to check out the shape. Dude was cool about it and did. Hit said shop later in the day and as soon as I hit the board rack and pick it up, I start getting cool guyed about it from the skaters in the shop. Not sure if they actually worked there or were just hanging around, but it was lame they'd go outta their way to say shit and maybe lose a sale to the shop. Someone came out the back though, assuming insta guy, and told the dudes to beat it and find shit to do other than sit around there. Was cool about it though, asked if I could grip it there, to show them I'm not some clueless kook who wandered too far from the mall.

Anyway probably went on too long about this but I always shop and support shops + ones with online presence. I just hate when the the cliques try to get involved with your gear.

Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #625 on: February 24, 2020, 11:08:35 PM »
Expand Quote
You ever have the staff give you shit for the product you choose? Thats always fun
[close]

Just happened to me this weekend. Hit the shop up on insta... like a man. Asked if they had a certain deck in stock and if they could send a pic cause I wanted to check out the shape. Dude was cool about it and did. Hit said shop later in the day and as soon as I hit the board rack and pick it up, I start getting cool guyed about it from the skaters in the shop. Not sure if they actually worked there or were just hanging around, but it was lame they'd go outta their way to say shit and maybe lose a sale to the shop. Someone came out the back though, assuming insta guy, and told the dudes to beat it and find shit to do other than sit around there. Was cool about it though, asked if I could grip it there, to show them I'm not some clueless kook who wandered too far from the mall.

Anyway probably went on too long about this but I always shop and support shops + ones with online presence. I just hate when the the cliques try to get involved with your gear.

Can I ask what board it was? Not sure why they'd hate.

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #626 on: February 25, 2020, 05:15:00 AM »
It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy.

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #627 on: February 25, 2020, 05:35:03 AM »
Bet all those dudes at your shop think FA is underground.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #628 on: February 25, 2020, 05:40:26 AM »
[/quote

What would YOU consider is "underground?" just curious.

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #629 on: February 25, 2020, 05:58:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[/quote

What would YOU consider is "underground?" just curious.
[close]
Anything that isn't popular or seen often. It was a joke.