Author Topic: Say something honest..  (Read 54224 times)

Dr Dew

Re: Say something honest..
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2020, 07:33:58 PM »
Expand Quote
It bums me out that I’ve had like 25 years of trying tre flips and heel flips and can’t do either. What’s the secret to those? I can kickflip. I even used to switch kickflip so it’s not like I have no flatground skills.
[close]

So you wanna do trey flips. Well here’s the big cat about to teach you how to Trey flip in the safari. Trey flips are arguably easier because you don’t have to know how to flick with your front foot. Actually on the contrary you dont want your traditional ankle roll with a trey. It’s a big toe roll if you do it right. It helps to know 360 shuvits(not ollie 360 shuvits, non popped 3). The other thing about 360 flips is that you need to learn how to do a rocking motion with your back foot. So basically without your front foot on the board put the middle toe of your back foot right over the edge of the board rail on the back bolts, just the back foot, put 75-80% of your foot weight on your big toe in said position, then slowly rock to about 60% of your weight to your heel. Now after you have that subtle rocking, try to slide the wheels while you rock, use that toe to pull the slide and then go toe heel on the rock. After you learn how to pull it and rock it, then try to do it hard and pull your foot away. Eventually you will make it flip a 360 flip with just your back foot, kind of like a 360 flip no comply but you aren’t really “popping” like a no comply, so a really shitty no comply 360 flip. Eventually once your back foot can create that flip profile, then it’s time to add the front foot. Put your front foot at about a 30 degree angle from the rail with about half of it on the board half off. Do the same back foot motion but this time jump, and flick your front foots toe down. I call this style of trey flip the toe down shaping. Extremely useful for flatground because it looks good and gives extreme consistency. Now this shaping once you want to take it to obstacles falls apart like a lot of different shapings for other tricks, but if I’m skating a contest and want to throw a flatground trey flip out there, that’s the type of shaping I’m gonna use because the percaentage of Landing it is highest. Once you figure out how to do traditional toe down shaping come back, and I’ll give you tips on how to do high shaped treys, or if you want to yo it out or do another’s shaping profile this big cat will imbue you with the knowledge.

that's a lot of thinking for a tre flip, i would say just scoop as hard as you can and jump in the air

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2020, 07:41:03 PM »
Expand Quote
It bums me out that I’ve had like 25 years of trying tre flips and heel flips and can’t do either. What’s the secret to those? I can kickflip. I even used to switch kickflip so it’s not like I have no flatground skills.
[close]

So you wanna do trey flips. Well here’s the big cat about to teach you how to Trey flip in the safari. Trey flips are arguably easier because you don’t have to know how to flick with your front foot. Actually on the contrary you dont want your traditional ankle roll with a trey. It’s a big toe roll if you do it right. It helps to know 360 shuvits(not ollie 360 shuvits, non popped 3). The other thing about 360 flips is that you need to learn how to do a rocking motion with your back foot. So basically without your front foot on the board put the middle toe of your back foot right over the edge of the board rail on the back bolts, just the back foot, put 75-80% of your foot weight on your big toe in said position, then slowly rock to about 60% of your weight to your heel. Now after you have that subtle rocking, try to slide the wheels while you rock, use that toe to pull the slide and then go toe heel on the rock. After you learn how to pull it and rock it, then try to do it hard and pull your foot away. Eventually you will make it flip a 360 flip with just your back foot, kind of like a 360 flip no comply but you aren’t really “popping” like a no comply, so a really shitty no comply 360 flip. Eventually once your back foot can create that flip profile, then it’s time to add the front foot. Put your front foot at about a 30 degree angle from the rail with about half of it on the board half off. Do the same back foot motion but this time jump, and flick your front foots toe down. I call this style of trey flip the toe down shaping. Extremely useful for flatground because it looks good and gives extreme consistency. Now this shaping once you want to take it to obstacles falls apart like a lot of different shapings for other tricks, but if I’m skating a contest and want to throw a flatground trey flip out there, that’s the type of shaping I’m gonna use because the percaentage of Landing it is highest. Once you figure out how to do traditional toe down shaping come back, and I’ll give you tips on how to do high shaped treys, or if you want to yo it out or do another’s shaping profile this big cat will imbue you with the knowledge.

This is the kind of line I need on a Friday morning.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

cheetahsheets

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2020, 07:43:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

that's a lot of thinking for a tre flip, i would say just scoop as hard as you can and jump in the air

See this is why 99% of trick tips fucking suck^^^, no insight other then just throw it bro. So fucking simplistic. How do you learn to throw one into krook, noseslide, 50-50, 5-0, etc. how do you do that if you don’t know how to shape the flip profile? I mean you can “wing it” but do you think your consistency percentage will be high? How do you know precisely how to adapt a trey flip for different obstacles, there’s so much you lose in doing simplistic understandings of skateboarding like that. Now I try to simplify things as much as possible for y’all, but like high level skateboarding isn’t simple lol. Sure some people have loads of ungodly talent, but even with ungodly talent it’s a lot of brain power at the highest tier. Get that skate IQ up brotha.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2020, 07:52:51 PM »
There is some heavy shit in here, shalom to all those going through struggles.

To the dood suggested I wear knee pads, it's not that easy. I ruptured my acl/mcl/pcl and meniscus , plus a vertical fracture of my femur.

One one move and my knee is done, again. Sometimes it's just stepping off something akward.

But I keep skating. I've lost alot of tricks obviously,  but I'm somewhat content that in my day I did some pretty cool shit.

Now I enjoy rolling and watching the young bucks do what I didnt think was imaginable.

If you love skating, it never leaves you,  whether you can skate or not. You'll still look at the streets thinking "what could i have done there" etc.

You dont leave skateboarding, its forever

Tested this and can confirm. I fully quit didn’t touch a board for 6 years, been back skating for 4 years. Those 6 years of being a  “used to skate” guy I still constantly saw spots, imagined tricks, did weird imaginary fingerboard movements with my hand. It’s permanent.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2020, 07:53:49 PM »
I really really dont give a fuck about cardiel or busenitz
Same

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 969
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2020, 07:54:33 PM »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

billyerlife

« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2020, 07:55:24 PM »
I feel like people who hate passionately on skaters wearing nike/adidas have some deep jock hating complex stemming back from high school where the dudes in basketball shoes got the girls they were after or something. Why you really care what another man wears on his feet

Because the skateboarding economy used to be circular, skaters took pictures of other skaters, skaters made skateboarding magazines, skaters made skateboarding movies, and, most amazingly, skaters made products for skateboarders. It was really cool, because no other industry had that. The outsiders tried to break in, and we laughed them away. That's gone now, or going anyway, and the skateboarding culture is diminished as a result. A lot of us miss it. I sure do.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2020, 08:16:18 PM »
I miss natural human reactions to doing something amazing instead of understanding how you'll be perceived on film, ie: the rollaway from a big trick.  Its all such an act now after a few generations learning from videos.  But there's always been posing, I just see it more as an old fuckhead so who gives a shit, smoke your sex spliffs for fat bill and pretend you're in Kids 2 who gives a dank.

conqueso

« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2020, 08:18:06 PM »
soty is rigged & pops was wack after mosaic

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2020, 08:19:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

See this is why 99% of trick tips fucking suck^^^, no insight other then just throw it bro
. So fucking simplistic. How do you learn to throw one into krook, noseslide, 50-50, 5-0, etc. how do you do that if you don’t know how to shape the flip profile? I mean you can “wing it” but do you think your consistency percentage will be high? How do you know precisely how to adapt a trey flip for different obstacles, there’s so much you lose in doing simplistic understandings of skateboarding like that. Now I try to simplify things as much as possible for y’all, but like high level skateboarding isn’t simple lol. Sure some people have loads of ungodly talent, but even with ungodly talent it’s a lot of brain power at the highest tier. Get that skate IQ up brotha.
That is absolutely true. When I started skating again and wanted to learn basic tricks I never bothered with I realized how many trick tips are actually really shitty and don't give any info. The best ones are the people that aren't afraid to get deep into it. Get that fucking word document together son.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2020, 08:23:31 PM »
Heath hardly ever got any fucking props until he retired even though he deserved it. It's the fucking truth and you all know it.

Dr Dew

« Reply #251 on: February 13, 2020, 08:24:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

See this is why 99% of trick tips fucking suck^^^, no insight other then just throw it bro. So fucking simplistic. How do you learn to throw one into krook, noseslide, 50-50, 5-0, etc. how do you do that if you don’t know how to shape the flip profile? I mean you can “wing it” but do you think your consistency percentage will be high? How do you know precisely how to adapt a trey flip for different obstacles, there’s so much you lose in doing simplistic understandings of skateboarding like that. Now I try to simplify things as much as possible for y’all, but like high level skateboarding isn’t simple lol. Sure some people have loads of ungodly talent, but even with ungodly talent it’s a lot of brain power at the highest tier. Get that skate IQ up brotha.

yeah i like overthinking my tricks as well for sure, and agree most trick tips are lazy as fuck and don't explain much of anything

but tre flip is the big exception for me. once you learn the foot position it really is just all about scooping as hard as possible and jumping. and from what i've seen that's the part most people who struggle with them are missing, just more energy in the scoop (assuming they're not using some totally wrong foot position)

scoop dat mf !!

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1193
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #252 on: February 13, 2020, 08:36:13 PM »
I don’t often skate while stoned, but when I do I’ll sometimes catch myself skating like I’m in the Dime Gangster Challenge.  I’ll also start doing that T Funk/safety-hands bullshit from time to time.  Fucking embarrassing.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #253 on: February 13, 2020, 08:45:16 PM »
I never liked Fully Flared
man, i tried watching it the other day and that shit fuckin sucks
like i know the tricks are crazy but the filming and editing is just awful

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #254 on: February 13, 2020, 08:51:39 PM »
I realized that the dudes I spent a lot of my life looking up to, are total scumbags.  Once I started to look up to positive role models, and diversifying my friend group with people that have goals and aspirations outside of skating, I watched my life become extremely more productive and rewarding. Even though this feeling makes me feel like I am starting to fall out of love with skateboarding, I will forever grateful for skating and all the amazing memories in my life that have come with it.  I will always skate, but I am at the time in my life where I need to start looking out for my future self and go make shit happen.  In the end I know I wouldnt be me without skating. Shalom

Highly agree. Most of the guys at my local park don't have any realistic life goals. A couple of them are my best friends and are settling down in life and I'm proud of them. I've started making more friends that don't skate and it's one of the best things I ever did because they helped push me through college and my life to work for what I want.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #255 on: February 13, 2020, 08:59:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah i like overthinking my tricks as well for sure, and agree most trick tips are lazy as fuck and don't explain much of anything

but tre flip is the big exception for me. once you learn the foot position it really is just all about scooping as hard as possible and jumping. and from what i've seen that's the part most people who struggle with them are missing, just more energy in the scoop (assuming they're not using some totally wrong foot position)

scoop dat mf !!

Completely disagree, sure the scoop is definitely the main part of the trick, but what if you are actually shaping them to have max height, you don’t want to do a traditional toe down shaping for max height. You want to do a toe hook upwards, and on your back foot you want to explode off the ball of your foot on the rail instead of scooping it from toe down shaping. One thing skaters don’t really pay attention too is the fact that you want to explode off the balls of your feet and not your toes because it gives u max verticality. I see so many kids who pop off the toe instead of the ball of their feet it’s not even funny. Trust me the friction of sliding your wheels cuts out energy that could be used to throw it upwards if you do a traditional scoop. You really are trying to throw it upwards instead of scoop thru it if that’s the shaping you’re doing. also your front foot if you are shaping it for height should go in a heel flip direction but specifically in the direction of where  the ball of your knee meets the socket since this will give you maximum muscle. Trust me skating if you really want to break it down is a combination of studying the body, understanding the mechanics, and learning that there are actually multiple ways of doing one trick and utilizing the best shaping for the problem. Most tricks aren’t a one size fits all kind of thing and need to be shaped for the application.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

Dr Dew

« Reply #256 on: February 13, 2020, 09:40:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

scoop dat mf !!
[close]

Completely disagree, sure the scoop is definitely the main part of the trick, but what if you are actually shaping them to have max height, you don’t want to do a traditional toe down shaping for max height. You want to do a toe hook upwards, and on your back foot you want to explode off the ball of your foot on the rail instead of scooping it from toe down shaping. One thing skaters don’t really pay attention too is the fact that you want to explode off the balls of your feet and not your toes because it gives u max verticality. I see so many kids who pop off the toe instead of the ball of their feet it’s not even funny. Trust me the friction of sliding your wheels cuts out energy that could be used to throw it upwards if you do a traditional scoop. You really are trying to throw it upwards instead of scoop thru it if that’s the shaping you’re doing. also your front foot if you are shaping it for height should go in a heel flip direction but specifically in the direction of where  the ball of your knee meets the socket since this will give you maximum muscle. Trust me skating if you really want to break it down is a combination of studying the body, understanding the mechanics, and learning that there are actually multiple ways of doing one trick and utilizing the best shaping for the problem. Most tricks aren’t a one size fits all kind of thing and need to be shaped for the application.

+1 for jumping off the balls of your feet instead of the toe itself, someone clued me into that early and i guess i took it for granted but it is a key. maybe tre flipping has more aspects to it than i give it credit for, and i just have the steps keyed in subconsiously where i don't think about the details of that trick when doing it

maybe that's like the main disconnect in trick tip videos from pros. they are so in tune with their board and body that most of their technique is muscle memory and intuition and they don't think to explain each step, or even know how to express it in words.

okay carry on mr cheetah, maybe write something about fs crooked grinds

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: February 13, 2020, 09:40:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I had been out of the loop from skating for a little over a year when it came out, but I still wanted to see it. I remember being super bummed thinking, this is skateboarding now.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #258 on: February 13, 2020, 10:00:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

scoop dat mf !!

Willy Santos Trick Tips on the old Birdhouse site take the cake.

To do a kickflip:
1 - pop your board with your back foot
2 - drag your front foot and flick your foot
3 - catch the board on the griptape
4 - land and ride away
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #259 on: February 14, 2020, 01:34:15 AM »
Expand Quote
There is some heavy shit in here, shalom to all those going through struggles.

To the dood suggested I wear knee pads, it's not that easy. I ruptured my acl/mcl/pcl and meniscus , plus a vertical fracture of my femur.

One one move and my knee is done, again. Sometimes it's just stepping off something akward.

But I keep skating. I've lost alot of tricks obviously,  but I'm somewhat content that in my day I did some pretty cool shit.

Now I enjoy rolling and watching the young bucks do what I didnt think was imaginable.

If you love skating, it never leaves you,  whether you can skate or not. You'll still look at the streets thinking "what could i have done there" etc.

You dont leave skateboarding, its forever
[close]

Tested this and can confirm. I fully quit didn’t touch a board for 6 years, been back skating for 4 years. Those 6 years of being a  “used to skate” guy I still constantly saw spots, imagined tricks, did weird imaginary fingerboard movements with my hand. It’s permanent.

Agreed, it just never leaves you, not that I would want it to but sometimes I feel like an Uncle Rico except rather than football it's skateboarding that I'm constantly daydreaming about and pondering the 'what ifs' of past and present.

I'm currently in a different country for a few months and have lost a ton of weight recently, although I'm still fat and wack I'm healthier than before and contemplating getting a board for my free time here because I know I'll regret not taking advantage later on back home which will leave me again daydreaming.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #260 on: February 14, 2020, 02:42:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like it's one of the most boring videos ever. I think I've only seen it once in its entirety, and that was at a noisy premiere, other than that I always fall asleep on it.

Marc Johnson's part is 3-4 minutes too long.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #261 on: February 14, 2020, 02:51:59 AM »
I forget that I’ve seen shows on Netflix. Like when You season 2 came out; I read the description and thought: oh I’ll start with season 1, then Netflix showed that I already watched season 1 and as I watched it every episode I was like, ooooh I remember this.
This has happened with multiple shows that I’ve watched on Netflix. Erased from my memory.

I did my first crooked grind at age 30 (or 31? Idr) and I don’t ollien into them.

i do this all the time but with movies and end up getting half way through and thinking hey wait this seems familiar

FrostedPancake

• Rep: 0
« Reply #262 on: February 14, 2020, 03:08:22 AM »

honestly never thought I'd read a cheetah post this coherent

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2020, 03:39:50 AM »
I've been on slap for 10 years & still haven't hit 1000 posts. 

FrostedPancake

• Rep: 0
« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2020, 04:03:25 AM »
sometimes i wonder if I was supposed to be goofy foot

pretty sure i based my stance off kicking a soccer ball with my right foot which someone told me meant i was regular

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2020, 04:32:51 AM »
sometimes i wonder if I was supposed to be goofy foot

pretty sure i based my stance off kicking a soccer ball with my right foot which someone told me meant i was regular
Wow yeah that's fucked. Way i was told was someone says "close your eyes" then they creep up behind you and push you on the back so you stumble forward. The foot you put out first to catch your balance is your front foot.
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

shingles

• Rep: -61
« Reply #266 on: February 14, 2020, 04:35:05 AM »
I'm too tall to skate
support your local ramp-tramp

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #267 on: February 14, 2020, 05:15:27 AM »
I don’t like deluxe Board brands (except krooked) for the same reason I don’t like Nike. Too popular, too many people riding their product (because of quality yes I understand that).
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

DangerJP

• Rep: 2
« Reply #268 on: February 14, 2020, 05:37:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thx for this detailed trick tip! I've always struggled with 360 flips, gonna give this a try.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #269 on: February 14, 2020, 06:00:30 AM »
I don’t like deluxe Board brands (except krooked) for the same reason I don’t like Nike. Too popular, too many people riding their product (because of quality yes I understand that).

skate lesser quality just to be contrarian