Author Topic: Say something honest..  (Read 54047 times)

pdknox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
Re: Say something honest..
« Reply #270 on: February 14, 2020, 06:02:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It bums me out that I’ve had like 25 years of trying tre flips and heel flips and can’t do either. What’s the secret to those? I can kickflip. I even used to switch kickflip so it’s not like I have no flatground skills.
[close]

So you wanna do trey flips. Well here’s the big cat about to teach you how to Trey flip in the safari. Trey flips are arguably easier because you don’t have to know how to flick with your front foot. Actually on the contrary you dont want your traditional ankle roll with a trey. It’s a big toe roll if you do it right. It helps to know 360 shuvits(not ollie 360 shuvits, non popped 3). The other thing about 360 flips is that you need to learn how to do a rocking motion with your back foot. So basically without your front foot on the board put the middle toe of your back foot right over the edge of the board rail on the back bolts, just the back foot, put 75-80% of your foot weight on your big toe in said position, then slowly rock to about 60% of your weight to your heel. Now after you have that subtle rocking, try to slide the wheels while you rock, use that toe to pull the slide and then go toe heel on the rock. After you learn how to pull it and rock it, then try to do it hard and pull your foot away. Eventually you will make it flip a 360 flip with just your back foot, kind of like a 360 flip no comply but you aren’t really “popping” like a no comply, so a really shitty no comply 360 flip. Eventually once your back foot can create that flip profile, then it’s time to add the front foot. Put your front foot at about a 30 degree angle from the rail with about half of it on the board half off. Do the same back foot motion but this time jump, and flick your front foots toe down. I call this style of trey flip the toe down shaping. Extremely useful for flatground because it looks good and gives extreme consistency. Now this shaping once you want to take it to obstacles falls apart like a lot of different shapings for other tricks, but if I’m skating a contest and want to throw a flatground trey flip out there, that’s the type of shaping I’m gonna use because the percaentage of Landing it is highest. Once you figure out how to do traditional toe down shaping come back, and I’ll give you tips on how to do high shaped treys, or if you want to yo it out or do another’s shaping profile this big cat will imbue you with the knowledge.
[close]

that's a lot of thinking for a tre flip, i would say just scoop as hard as you can and jump in the air
[close]

See this is why 99% of trick tips fucking suck^^^, no insight other then just throw it bro. So fucking simplistic. How do you learn to throw one into krook, noseslide, 50-50, 5-0, etc. how do you do that if you don’t know how to shape the flip profile? I mean you can “wing it” but do you think your consistency percentage will be high? How do you know precisely how to adapt a trey flip for different obstacles, there’s so much you lose in doing simplistic understandings of skateboarding like that. Now I try to simplify things as much as possible for y’all, but like high level skateboarding isn’t simple lol. Sure some people have loads of ungodly talent, but even with ungodly talent it’s a lot of brain power at the highest tier. Get that skate IQ up brotha.

i agree.  also never understood why there are any switch trick tips.

now bang us over the head with the psychology of fs flips

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #271 on: February 14, 2020, 06:06:32 AM »
I'm fat and I do 180's and slappies. Don't @ me.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #272 on: February 14, 2020, 06:11:39 AM »
Heath hardly ever got any fucking props until he retired even though he deserved it. It's the fucking truth and you all know it.

sample size of 1 but my friend back in the day was obsessed with him.  i never understood it cause he didnt skate like him at all.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #273 on: February 14, 2020, 06:12:31 AM »
i never got into AWS cause i thought they were a kook tech deck brand.  drydek is the god though

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #274 on: February 14, 2020, 06:14:05 AM »
I'm not good at 360 flips so I'm not one to chime in really but when I do them, contrary to what cheetah and others are saying, I definitely still flick my front foot similar to a kickflip (little different I'm sure - I do try to get in the zone and not think too hard when doing them - kinda helps), although further back in the board. It is such a satisfying trick. I'm tryna get better at them.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 07:31:54 AM by cricketclub »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #275 on: February 14, 2020, 06:43:32 AM »
I'm not good at 360 flips so I'm not one to chime in really but when I do them, contrary to what cheetah and others are saying, I definitely still flick my front foot similar to a kickflip, although further back in the board. It is such a satisfying trick. I'm tryna get better at them.

I was having a trexistentialist crisis once, then my friend said "forget the scoop, just flick like a hard varial". It didn't sound right and I thought I'd be doing a stinking double varial or something.

Kept my back foot slightly by the concave, leaning off the edge. Front foot is slightly pointed and at an angle, lower down for where I kickflip.

5 or so goes, boom got my first proper tre bomb.

Obviously different techniques work for different people, but the whole scoop first doesn't work in my head. I reckon it is partly down to my dyspraxia and not understanding angles.

It's like how I suck at axle stalls. I need to be less shy when skating mini and generally sucking at it and have a proper sesh practising them.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Brguy

« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2020, 06:51:37 AM »
I don’t often skate while stoned, but when I do I’ll sometimes catch myself skating like I’m in the Dime Gangster Challenge.  I’ll also start doing that T Funk/safety-hands bullshit from time to time.  Fucking embarrassing.
I we're being honest here, safety-hands and hands down haters are even bigger kooks than the people that fake style. Skateboarding is about fun, if a guy wants to do something with his hands, squat more than necessary or in a weird way just let em do it.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #277 on: February 14, 2020, 06:56:46 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm not good at 360 flips so I'm not one to chime in really but when I do them, contrary to what cheetah and others are saying, I definitely still flick my front foot similar to a kickflip, although further back in the board. It is such a satisfying trick. I'm tryna get better at them.
[close]

I was having a trexistentialist crisis once, then my friend said "forget the scoop, just flick like a hard varial". It didn't sound right and I thought I'd be doing a stinking double varial or something.

Kept my back foot slightly by the concave, leaning off the edge. Front foot is slightly pointed and at an angle, lower down for where I kickflip.

Obviously different techniques work for different people, but the whole scoop first doesn't work in my head. I reckon it is partly down to my dyspraxia and not understanding angles.

It's like how I suck at axle stalls. I need to be less shy when skating mini and generally sucking at it and have a proper sesh practising them.
Jason Lee said he figured them out this way.  I’m going to work on my scoop though. I used to flick them super hard and could very occasionally land on them but it never felt right. Different strokes I guess.

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 9
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #278 on: February 14, 2020, 07:10:21 AM »
I generally stay away from bigger brands like Vans, Adidas and Nike for a variety of personal reasons, mainly the labor around creating the product plus quality doesn't justify their prices at all imo. But I got some nike sb sweats, originally just for the gym during the winter, honestly they're some of the best skate pants I've had. Warm when it's cold, breathable when it's hot, good for the gym or a sesh. The only other sb thing I thought was decent were the dunk highs but these are great too

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 07:12:42 AM by whatsreallygood »

FOGDOG

• Rep: 10
« Reply #279 on: February 14, 2020, 07:37:04 AM »
I sobbed to a Kate Bush song in my car on the way to work this morning.

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2020, 07:47:17 AM »
I am 34 and have been skateboarding for 22 years ... I have never dropped in.

You gave me so much hope with this post. I have dropped in, but not very successfully. It's embarrassing but whatever. I'll get better eventually.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #281 on: February 14, 2020, 08:08:29 AM »
i never got into AWS cause i thought they were a kook tech deck brand.  drydek is the god though

Funny, I was supper into AWS and followed all the guys from G&S over, older Drydek is one of the reasons I went off them.
Expand Quote
[close]

You gave me so much hope with this post. I have dropped in, but not very successfully. It's embarrassing but whatever. I'll get better eventually.

Sometimes I'm thankful that I skated with a bunch of bell ends who made the kids drop the biggest thing in any park we went to under threat of violence.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #282 on: February 14, 2020, 08:12:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Jason Lee said he figured them out this way.  I’m going to work on my scoop though. I used to flick them super hard and could very occasionally land on them but it never felt right. Different strokes I guess.
The hard flick tre looks amazing in photos too.

drewsmahgoos

« Reply #283 on: February 14, 2020, 08:13:42 AM »
Expand Quote
I feel like people who hate passionately on skaters wearing nike/adidas have some deep jock hating complex stemming back from high school where the dudes in basketball shoes got the girls they were after or something. Why you really care what another man wears on his feet
[close]

Because the skateboarding economy used to be circular, skaters took pictures of other skaters, skaters made skateboarding magazines, skaters made skateboarding movies, and, most amazingly, skaters made products for skateboarders. It was really cool, because no other industry had that. The outsiders tried to break in, and we laughed them away. That's gone now, or going anyway, and the skateboarding culture is diminished as a result. A lot of us miss it. I sure do.

Lol, any specialized, niche hobby/sport has this phase, it isn't unique to skateboarding. Mountaineering/rock climbing is an example of this that I can think off of the top of my head. Plenty of others though.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #284 on: February 14, 2020, 08:15:21 AM »
I walked into KCDC after drinking two and a half 11 percenters at Brooklyn Brewery and casually tried to buy their copy of the Mother VHS on display. I was foiled when the girl behind the counter asked her manager why it wasn’t coming up in the system.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #285 on: February 14, 2020, 08:30:35 AM »
sometimes i wonder if I was supposed to be goofy foot

pretty sure i based my stance off kicking a soccer ball with my right foot which someone told me meant i was regular

i'm left footed in football but skate regular. it's just a different deal.

i feel like the only proper test for determining your stance is to run at a board and jump on it.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #286 on: February 14, 2020, 08:35:06 AM »
the basement scene in the zodiac is one the scariest scenes in cinema's history

Tracerstracer

• Rep: -39
« Reply #287 on: February 14, 2020, 08:41:43 AM »
I wish I was never into Koston. He's the biggest disappointment of all the skaters I've ever dug.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #288 on: February 14, 2020, 08:43:22 AM »

How else does one listen to Kate Bush?
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Classy Durag

• Rep: 62
« Reply #289 on: February 14, 2020, 09:53:35 AM »
I have J. Scott Handsdown titties... it lowers my self esteem and might even affect my dream chasing.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #290 on: February 14, 2020, 10:34:35 AM »
I prefer the turn of Mini Logo trucks over Ventures.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #291 on: February 14, 2020, 11:09:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I used to drop in on quarter pipes but that stopped when I had the bright idea to drop in on a 13 foot vert ramp with two feet of vert. I had a 7.4" Kevin Taylor Aesthetics board with unbelievably tight Fury trucks and flatspotted 49 mm wheels. Perfect vert set up, some might say.

It was one of those sketchy early-90's metal ramps that wasn't maintained or anything. Fell right from the coping to the flat on my side and almost shit myself from the impact. Knocked the wind right out of my and hurt my shoulder. I have no idea how I did not hit my head because I wasn't wearing a helmet.

That was about 18 years ago.

Don't think I've dropped in on anything besides banks since. I'm too scared.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:11:49 AM by TheBoognish »

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #292 on: February 14, 2020, 11:11:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Funny, I was supper into AWS and followed all the guys from G&S over, older Drydek is one of the reasons I went off them.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sometimes I'm thankful that I skated with a bunch of bell ends who made the kids drop the biggest thing in any park we went to under threat of violence.

I grew up a street that had like 10 to 15 kids that skated, all of them friends of course. If a box got built, or a rail was set to medium (remember the yellow CCS rail) you had to hit it. If you didn't you were kinda blowing it.

So when a 3 1/2 quarter pipe gets built when I'm about eight years old. I gotta learn to drop in, the first time I tried I slammed hard. The next one I made... that's just how things went
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:13:45 AM by Lowcalcium »

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #293 on: February 14, 2020, 11:38:45 AM »
I've never liked the Gonz, Fred Gall, or Gino. I'll never watch anything the put out.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #294 on: February 14, 2020, 11:40:20 AM »

which song though?

FOGDOG

• Rep: 10
« Reply #295 on: February 14, 2020, 11:46:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

which song though?

Well, it was Wuthering Heights, Cloudbusting, and This Woman's Work all back to back to back. So yeah, all the hits.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #296 on: February 14, 2020, 11:52:59 AM »
I'm not good at 360 flips so I'm not one to chime in really but when I do them, contrary to what cheetah and others are saying, I definitely still flick my front foot similar to a kickflip (little different I'm sure - I do try to get in the zone and not think too hard when doing them - kinda helps), although further back in the board. It is such a satisfying trick. I'm tryna get better at them.

Theres multiple ways to shape(do) a trick. Some have inherent advantages over others. I can personally shape most of my tricks in a variety of ways for different applications. It’s not just about learning a trick, it’s about learning it multiple different ways. There’s some exceptions to this rule, but most of the time it’s best to not just learn a trick, but to actively change your learning of a trick after you “get it”.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -137
« Reply #297 on: February 14, 2020, 11:58:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Theres multiple ways to shape(do) a trick. Some have inherent advantages over others. I can personally shape most of my tricks in a variety of ways for different applications. It’s not just about learning a trick, it’s about learning it multiple different ways. There’s some exceptions to this rule, but most of the time it’s best to not just learn a trick, but to actively change your learning of a trick after you “get it”.

I did this early on. For example, frontside flips.

Try to "tom penny" that shit up stairs, isnt happening. Now mike Carrolll it, and your golden
Gentleman ninja warlock

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #298 on: February 14, 2020, 12:08:24 PM »
I don't understand the Dylan hype? I've seen his parts and I do like it but I don't fully understand.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #299 on: February 14, 2020, 12:19:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

...Like say the difference between Heath and Dylan kickflip mechanics?  ;)

I've never liked the Gonz, Fred Gall, or Gino. I'll never watch anything the put out.

I don't understand the Dylan hype? I've seen his parts and I do like it but I don't fully understand.

Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.