Author Topic: Say something honest..  (Read 54050 times)

ClownOfTheDay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
Re: Say something honest..
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2020, 12:25:06 PM »
Cricket, if you can link me what you think his greatest part is I will watch it and I'll try to see your point.

Dr Dew

« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2020, 12:33:39 PM »
I’m still fuzzy about the difference between vulc and cupsoles shoes. Feel really dumb about this one lol. I just figure out a model of shoe I like and keep buying it, idk..

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2020, 12:34:55 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm not good at 360 flips so I'm not one to chime in really but when I do them, contrary to what cheetah and others are saying, I definitely still flick my front foot similar to a kickflip, although further back in the board. It is such a satisfying trick. I'm tryna get better at them.
[close]

I was having a trexistentialist crisis once, then my friend said "forget the scoop, just flick like a hard varial". It didn't sound right and I thought I'd be doing a stinking double varial or something.

Kept my back foot slightly by the concave, leaning off the edge. Front foot is slightly pointed and at an angle, lower down for where I kickflip.

5 or so goes, boom got my first proper tre bomb.

Obviously different techniques work for different people, but the whole scoop first doesn't work in my head. I reckon it is partly down to my dyspraxia and not understanding angles.

It's like how I suck at axle stalls. I need to be less shy when skating mini and generally sucking at it and have a proper sesh practising them.

I can varial flip, impossible, pop shuvs, 3 shuv...tres fucking suck, I was swept up in the 'it's all in the back foot' and can't get close to them now but a few out of a hunnerd.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2020, 12:37:33 PM »
Expand Quote
I placed higher than Brian Anderson at Tampa Pro, but was beaten by Elissa Steamer (we all did terribly). I did get a trophy in Best Trick, though.
[close]
This makes me want to go back and check the results so I can see who you are...since I most likely judged that contest. 
OK...here's a few:
I still skate a 7.875 deck with 50mm wheels and Lo- 139 Indy's like it was 1994
Although I was pro, I've never skated more than a 6 stair in my life...
I'm a huge movie nerd but have never seen: Any Die Hard, Silence Of The Lambs, any of the Lord of the Rings, any Batman without Bale in it and I just finally watched Back to The Future II/III 2 months ago.

I posted this earlier, and it's completely true:

"I hate that I see kids wearing: Converse, Nike's, New Balance, and Adidas all the time now. I have really only worn: Vans and Emerica's (I think my Mom bought me a pair of Globe's one Christmas). I'm not the guy who always preaches about being core..but seeing the three stripes or the swoop makes me hate you

I'm all for skaters riding for these bigger brands to make money, and I totally get that Vans is a bigger brand...but in my book they get a pass because they were the first legit skate shoe

Edit: Also I hate the gut reaction of... oh well my Nike's are just so comfortable. We know that's total crap because my Vans Era's feel fine. Don't be so comfortable all the time for that matter and learn to get used to some of the discomfort of life"

But, if I'm being completely honest, this is also true:

Brandon Westgate is my favorite skateboarder, and even though I've only ever worn Vans and Emerica's all my life, I have always wanted to try out Westgate's shoes. Westgate caught my attention when 5Boro's "Word of Mouth" came out, but Westgate officially became my favorite skater after "State of Mind" and "Stay Gold" were released.

To quote Brandon, his skating is defined by "simple and fast [tricks], and good style." Honestly, that's all I want to see in a skateboarder, which is why I love Donny Barely too.

I have been listening to the Bunt a lot recently so I got the balls to say this. Rothdigger will send me a box of size 10 913 New Balances. I'll post them on my Instagram and do a post here on slap as well on how they are skating. Perhaps this wasn't worth a try, but I will never know until you respond back. Happy Valentines Day!

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2020, 01:32:42 PM »
I have J. Scott Handsdown titties... it lowers my self esteem and might even affect my dream chasing.

There's a lid for every pot, so they say.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2020, 01:41:44 PM »
I’m still fuzzy about the difference between vulc and cupsoles shoes. Feel really dumb about this one lol. I just figure out a model of shoe I like and keep buying it, idk..
Cricket, if you can link me what you think his greatest part is I will watch it and I'll try to see your point.

1. Look it up. Your on the internet
2. Watch all his parts. Decide for yourself.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2020, 02:45:20 PM »
everybody needs a little Siouxsie Sioux in their lives from time to time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5jmB4xgNWw

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2020, 03:09:48 PM »
when i got my first skateboard of my own (i shared a McGill with three friends for a year or so first), it was the original Vision Mark Gonzales, and that fucker was white (painted), with all of the neon colors on it, it had neon pink Vision Shredder Wheels, neon pink rails, and shiny white Gullwings on it. brand new that thing fucking glowed, it radiated “brand new” into the air, and i’d be lying if i denied the fact that i couldn’t get myself to seriously skate it for at least a few weeks after getting my hands on it.

i bought it from a wind-surf shop (yep, we’re talking the inner-ring suburbs of Detroit here) called Coastline Styles, which was the only place to buy boards in the early to mid-1980s on the east side of the Detroit area.

Endless Summer was the concrete skatepark in the area, which had been jackhammered not too long before i started, and the locals included Bill Ferguson (rode for Veriflex and Losi, and owns K-ZOO), Bill Tocco, Ward Cramer (RIP), Bud Burcar (i know i’m spelling some of these wrong), Bill Danforth, and Chris “OP” Moore (rode for Powell, drummer for Negative Approach), and Dave-O (who probably designed the whole thing as well as the "9-Bowl" which has made it into a few videos).

after Endless Summer got jackhammered, the above pillars of Michigan skateboarding (and others) built a half-pipe in Bud’s backyard, and it was called the Dude Ramp. pretty standard for the time, the dimensions being i think about 8- to 9-feet and about a foot of vert--they ended up building a 4-foot mini across the flat (way before its time), that actually had a photo in Thrasher at one point, back when it was still newsprint.

when i bought the above board, there were flyers on the counter of Coastline Styles for a halfpipe contest at the Dude Ramp--and yes, this was in Bud’s parents’ backyard (which was a bit of a field), and it was a typical Midwest ramp contest in the early 1980s, where people slept in the cars and shit. i know for a fact Brian Mank from Ohio was there, who is a legend from the Midwest.

i was like 12 or 13 at the time, and got my mom to drop me off the morning of the contest (shit was like 10 miles from my house), with a couple of punk rock girls i was friends with, who had mohawks that required insane amounts of AquaNet--basically we just got stranded for the day, not knowing how out of place we really were. we were the only pre-teens there, so we already stood out, but the biggest thing was, you could literally see my brand new Vision Mark Gonzales complete--with all of the neon colors on it--from every point in the field/area...the fucking thing was the brightest, shiniest thing in the whole scene, the whole day...

...which i thought was sick, at the time. but at one point, some older hessian dude (representative of the time, we could smell his knee pads from feet away, and the tops of his shoes were covered in duct tape from knee-sliding out of shit all day) walks by and says something like: “is that fucking thing brand new, fucking skate it man.” i remember looking at his board, which was of course skated, and tore up, and thinking, “what’s that guy talking about, his board’s all fucked up, mine’s way sweeter.”

i also had one of those iconic JFA stickers on the top, between the two pieces of grip, which i thought was the coolest shit in the world, until I remember quite vividly Bill Tocco walking up and going: “What’s JFA stand for, just another fucking attitude?”

there was so much going on beyond the limited scope of my horizons at that early point, and none of the hazing got to me at all...i was too fucking excited about skateboarding and the world in and of it...a doomed love affair, as it were, that is funny to sit here and reflect on and write about, nearly 40 years later...

(edit: had to include Dave-O, because he probably designed the Dude Ramp and he definitely designed the 9-Bowl, where i've personally skated with the Habitat team at and Joe Brook and lots of other priceless skaters who i've been fortunate enough to cross paths with)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 04:13:36 PM by Deputy Wendell »

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #308 on: February 14, 2020, 03:16:15 PM »
Sometimes I wish I wouldn't have kids so I could skate more.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #309 on: February 14, 2020, 03:18:38 PM »
i have an easier time doing a bigspin back tail than a back noseslide

i just can't seem to back noseslide for the life of me unless i half cab in

computerdate

• Rep: 18
  • I hope they keep down the price of gas
« Reply #310 on: February 14, 2020, 03:23:50 PM »
A lot of skaters are assholes

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #311 on: February 14, 2020, 03:37:04 PM »

Your avatar is telling that, "remember, when you point a finger at somebody you've got 1 to 4 fingers pointing back at yourself depending on whether you're disabled or not" story here.

computerdate

« Reply #312 on: February 14, 2020, 03:40:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Your avatar is telling that, "remember, when you point a finger at somebody you've got 1 to 4 fingers pointing back at yourself depending on whether you're disabled or not" story here.

I disagree

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #313 on: February 14, 2020, 03:43:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i'm drinking Maker's tonight, and i love Gay's comment because it invites to talk about computerdate's avatar and my favorite song from them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV83elzOyD0

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #314 on: February 14, 2020, 04:13:41 PM »
I don't understand the Dylan hype? I've seen his parts and I do like it but I don't fully understand.

For myself, it was the trajectory, it was a constant build up. Sure, up to his Gravis part, I had always taken him for, idk, like a whatever skater. Good but footage like that Alien part was expected-level talent (as he himself admitted). Then, out of nowhere, he drops that Gravis part, which was so next level compared to what anyone thought he could do. So he blows us away with that part, and then he just kept going. Doing gnarly rails, hanging with banging ladies, skating HUF shoes in a Nike Street League, he was doing exactly what you want a skater to do after they have their break through.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #315 on: February 14, 2020, 04:18:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I disagree

omg you're making me feel like such an asshole here

computerdate

« Reply #316 on: February 14, 2020, 04:23:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I disagree
[close]

omg you're making me feel like such an asshole here

Damn now I feel like an asshole. I guess you were right all along

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #317 on: February 14, 2020, 04:31:31 PM »
I’d be perfectly ok with never seeing another hippie jump for the rest of my life.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Cranberry Relish

• Rep: 25
« Reply #318 on: February 14, 2020, 04:36:06 PM »
I don't like people who skate with headphones in at the skatepark

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #319 on: February 14, 2020, 05:07:40 PM »
chad tim tim and kenny anderson should play chess in a park together in like 10 years

whoever has the sharpest cardigan will win

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #320 on: February 14, 2020, 05:16:18 PM »
the basement scene in the zodiac is one the scariest scenes in cinema's history
Agreed.  Excellent movie overall.

Another moment of honesty, Black skaters get criticized a little bit harder (on here and otherwise) for obvious reasons.

ItsNoUse

• Rep: -15
« Reply #321 on: February 14, 2020, 05:52:22 PM »
Gonz seems like a kook to me, and not in the entertaining way, either. Guy seems legit disturbed and everyone kinda goes along with it because 'OH That's Mark Gonzalez, he's a skateboarding genius).

Frank Gerwers face annoys me.

Tom Hanks is the Heath Kirchart of the acting world.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #322 on: February 14, 2020, 06:22:52 PM »
the use of the word ‘tasteful’ to describe skateboarding makes me sick

Classy Durag

• Rep: 62
« Reply #323 on: February 14, 2020, 06:40:34 PM »

Never understood why this bother people. As long as the skater is paying attention to the flow of the park and not getting in people’s way, what’s the problem? Not everyone wants to be your friend some people want to keep to themselves and listen to some jams. Considering how judgmental skaters are I don’t blame them.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #324 on: February 14, 2020, 06:59:05 PM »
Gonz ruined Dill and Kostons career.

Coffee

• Rep: 36
« Reply #325 on: February 14, 2020, 08:01:06 PM »
I really liked Elijah Berne’s part in Pretty Sweet but don’t care for him anymore.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #326 on: February 15, 2020, 12:16:25 AM »
i also had one of those iconic JFA stickers on the top, between the two pieces of grip, which i thought was the coolest shit in the world, until I remember quite vividly Bill Tocco walking up and going: “What’s JFA stand for, just another fucking attitude?”

What a dick. What else do you expect from the most jacked skater.

Merman

• Rep: -40
« Reply #327 on: February 15, 2020, 01:07:31 AM »
Gonz seems like a kook to me, and not in the entertaining way, either. Guy seems legit disturbed and everyone kinda goes along with it because 'OH That's Mark Gonzalez, he's a skateboarding genius).

Frank Gerwers face annoys me.

Gonz is surprisingly down to earth if you strike up a convo with him. Used to see him all over SF and at Alameda skatepark and as far as I can tell the guy is a constant ball of energy who simply loves being improvisational and getting people to laugh. Dude seems blissfully unconcerned about being judged. He's having the most fun out there and, like Sinatra and Rocco, he did it his way.

marty mcfly

« Reply #328 on: February 15, 2020, 01:43:19 AM »
I don’t like any of the youtube skate“Pros“
Except for black ninja,he‘s funny!
He should post here imo.he likes to talk shit!!

i can switch heel but landet about 5 switch kickflips
in my life.wish it would be the other way around!

After a couple of 360flips i need a break.
It requires a lot of energy...im getting old!

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #329 on: February 15, 2020, 03:02:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Never understood why this bother people. As long as the skater is paying attention to the flow of the park and not getting in people’s way, what’s the problem? Not everyone wants to be your friend some people want to keep to themselves and listen to some jams. Considering how judgmental skaters are I don’t blame them.

found the guy who skates with headphones