Author Topic: Say something honest..  (Read 54052 times)

ohnowisee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Re: Say something honest..
« Reply #330 on: February 15, 2020, 03:13:44 AM »
Expand Quote
I am 34 and have been skateboarding for 22 years ... I have never dropped in.
[close]

I've only dropped in on a 3ft quarter pipe.  I have a bad fear of heights so standing at the edge of 5ft quarterpipe as a kid was terrifying.  Now I'm 33 and haven't dropped in since that 3. I've started from the flat of a mini and made my way to coping, rolled in a couple times, but never a proper drop in.
Ilford is way more core than Kodak - natenola forever

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #331 on: February 15, 2020, 04:25:54 AM »
I’d be perfectly ok with never seeing another hippie jump for the rest of my life.

There are way too many and only one out of every thirty or so that I see is actually technically impressive.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #332 on: February 15, 2020, 05:04:54 AM »
I wiped out the other day on a fairly simple curb trick and hit/ cut open my eyebrow. I currently have stitches and a black eye.
It’s not doing much for my confidence as an old guy. I probably won’t ever skate without a helmet again and that’s fine with me...

Also, my frontside 180 Ollies are atrocious and make me look like I’ve only skated for 3 months when I’m relaitybive skated for 3 decades.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

FrostedPancake

• Rep: 0
« Reply #333 on: February 15, 2020, 05:10:33 AM »
I'm super envious of people who can skate well stoned. I lose so much coordination and 2nd guess everything plus I get tired so quickly.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #334 on: February 15, 2020, 05:14:55 AM »
Expand Quote
i also had one of those iconic JFA stickers on the top, between the two pieces of grip, which i thought was the coolest shit in the world, until I remember quite vividly Bill Tocco walking up and going: “What’s JFA stand for, just another fucking attitude?”
[close]

What a dick. What else do you expect from the most jacked skater.

hah, yeah, i haven't seen him since he got back into bodybuilding and all, but over the years i've sessioned with him, and it's all good. i came to understand the whole JFA/"just another fucking attitude" thing was from shit Midwestern heads got from dudes out west--i guess even Brian Brannon and them...who knows.

i respect what Tocco did as a skater and his limited time as a pro (destroyed his knee not too long after turning pro, from what i understand)--all of those NSA contests he won, and those years of him going back and forth with Blaize Blouin (RIP)...i've never seen a photo like this one of Tocco doing a "one-footed channel hip hop" like this one, from the year he won the NSA finals:

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #335 on: February 15, 2020, 07:15:46 AM »
Sometimes I wish I wouldn't have kids so I could skate more.
Heavy. This post actually deserves to be in this thread.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #336 on: February 15, 2020, 07:34:59 AM »
It's hard for me to ollie up anything. I only ollied up a ledge once and it was by accident. I can barely ollie up curbs. It really sucks to say but I've never cruised around downtown ollieing up curbs because I'm so bad at it. This year is the year.

I've always wanted to f/s boardslide a handrail and ollie down several small sets of stairs in succession but I've never done either properly (kind of did a f/s board once). I'm concerned that I'll never get around to it, and will become too old to do them and feel badly about it for the rest of my life.

Also I don't mind parkour, I think it's kind of cool.

Fre$HPrince

« Reply #337 on: February 15, 2020, 07:38:07 AM »
How you gonna slide a rail if you can’t Ollie up a curb?

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #338 on: February 15, 2020, 07:48:05 AM »

I don't know.

morningcommute

« Reply #339 on: February 15, 2020, 07:49:18 AM »
It's hard for me to ollie up anything. I only ollied up a ledge once and it was by accident. I can barely ollie up curbs. It really sucks to say but I've never cruised around downtown ollieing up curbs because I'm so bad at it. This year is the year.

I've always wanted to f/s boardslide a handrail and ollie down several small sets of stairs in succession but I've never done either properly (kind of did a f/s board once). I'm concerned that I'll never get around to it, and will become too old to do them and feel badly about it for the rest of my life.

No disrespect intended here but how long have you skated for and what do you skate if you can’t Ollie? Strictly Mini ramp and bowl ?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 07:50:59 AM by morningcommute »

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #340 on: February 15, 2020, 07:49:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know.

Caveman that shit son

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #341 on: February 15, 2020, 07:51:27 AM »

maybe the bravest admission in this entire thread thus far

SHIREFLIP

« Reply #342 on: February 15, 2020, 07:51:38 AM »
I live in the cold. I’m a huge bitch and I barely skate between sometime in November and February unless I can go to a parking garage/tunnel. I can also skate my garage when my roommates aren’t storing stuff in there. But still, it’s cold and I bitch out quick unless the temperature is greater than -5.

I tell myself if I ever reinstate my licence/get a car, it will be way easier to get to indoor spots I can skate in the winter. I hope I’m not lying to myself.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #343 on: February 15, 2020, 07:53:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't know.
[close]

Caveman that shit son

That's a good idea. I'll caveman up the curb first for practice.

No disrespect intended here but how long have you skated for and what do you skate if you can’t Ollie? Strictly Mini ramp and bowl ?

I can definitely ollie, but I don't ollie up things that much. More onto things and off things. I'm just lazy in that regard.

DrunkleJesse

• Rep: 1
« Reply #344 on: February 15, 2020, 08:32:39 AM »
I've never been a fan of Chris Cole, there's just something about his skating that has always bored me to no end. Beyond technically gifted, not arguing that, but dudes parts make me reach for the fast forward button with the quickness.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #345 on: February 15, 2020, 11:31:48 AM »
I think skateboarders can be assholes, and I'm not into the we can do whatever we want on other peoples account because we're cool vibe.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #346 on: February 15, 2020, 11:39:07 AM »
Gonz ruined Dill and Kostons career.

If true, this is the only thing Gonz has ever done that I like.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #347 on: February 15, 2020, 11:42:12 AM »
I've never been a fan of Chris Cole, there's just something about his skating that has always bored me to no end. Beyond technically gifted, not arguing that, but dudes parts make me reach for the fast forward button with the quickness.
I like his Dying to Live part, and no amount of me ever talking shit about him changes that. Sucks what he became career-wise afterwards but not everyone can go out like Heath. *Career exit-wise, not that they're even comparable.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 11:52:11 AM by dooley »

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #348 on: February 15, 2020, 12:36:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I like his Dying to Live part, and no amount of me ever talking shit about him changes that. Sucks what he became career-wise afterwards but not everyone can go out like Heath. *Career exit-wise, not that they're even comparable.
I feel like Cobra Coles wheels of fortune in 411 issue 40 is an often over looked chapter.
I dug it like crazy back then, still do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuVLq9jQdYE
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: February 15, 2020, 12:51:22 PM »
Fresh Cole > hesh Chris for sure too.

drcroc

« Reply #350 on: February 15, 2020, 01:00:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I feel like Cobra Coles wheels of fortune in 411 issue 40 is an often over looked chapter.

I kind of see where you're coming from here. When I first heard about Chris Cole I thought he was just some middle-aged dude that tried really hard to get good at skating, and eventually succeeded in being able to do nearly every flip trick switch and regular.

But while we're on the subject of not seeing why a certain pro skater is acclaimed, I can honestly say I have never seen why anyone would think P-Rod is that impressive. Sure, he's doing the tricks, but there's something missing there. I used to watch people say, "Oh my god, P-Rod inspired me to skate," and I'd think to myself, "Wtf are you smoking? He's kind of wack..."  Whatever tho.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #351 on: February 15, 2020, 01:11:44 PM »
The only the P-rod has ever inspired me to do is not buy Primitive. They both sold McRibs but at the end of the day, it's Cole for me. I don't need to see 10 switch front heels in a row.

Fre$HPrince

« Reply #352 on: February 15, 2020, 01:14:32 PM »
I like the way Chris Cole dresses but not the way he skates.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #353 on: February 15, 2020, 01:15:15 PM »
The only the P-rod has ever inspired me to do is not buy Primitive. They both sold McRibs but at the end of the day, it's Cole for me. I don't need to see 10 switch front heels in a row.

"My favorite skater is Terps"

no name cargos plug

« Reply #354 on: February 15, 2020, 01:18:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not even, like, his skating? I mean yeah he seems like an insufferable dork but every time he steps on a board it’s kinda magical.

fongool

• Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #355 on: February 15, 2020, 01:21:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

maybe the bravest admission in this entire thread thus far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xboc5tuCrm8

dooley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: February 15, 2020, 01:24:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

"My favorite skater is Terps"
Don't have one.

Fre$HPrince

« Reply #357 on: February 15, 2020, 01:30:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Not even, like, his skating? I mean yeah he seems like an insufferable dork but every time he steps on a board it’s kinda magical.
Q:How can anyone hate mark gonz sk8?
A: they are small children that only know about skateboarding world with Tomy hawk pro skater and skateparks. They don’t know the past and have never actually street skated so they are basically dumb
B:they are an old bitter person that doesn’t seem to want to accept that everything they ever enjoyed on a toy is because of some other old guy they never met but used to warship or they met them and they didn’t live up to their expectations because people are just regular people at the end of the day.
C:you are on slap so it’s all just bullshit

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #358 on: February 15, 2020, 01:30:20 PM »
I have to choke my shoes/laces
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

DrunkleJesse

• Rep: 1
« Reply #359 on: February 15, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

I kind of see where you're coming from here. When I first heard about Chris Cole I thought he was just some middle-aged dude that tried really hard to get good at skating, and eventually succeeded in being able to do nearly every flip trick switch and regular.

But while we're on the subject of not seeing why a certain pro skater is acclaimed, I can honestly say I have never seen why anyone would think P-Rod is that impressive. Sure, he's doing the tricks, but there's something missing there. I used to watch people say, "Oh my god, P-Rod inspired me to skate," and I'd think to myself, "Wtf are you smoking? He's kind of wack..."  Whatever tho.

Maybe I'm dated, but I still think the closest I've come to being either a Cole or P-Rod fan was their parts from In Bloom. Coles part in Dying To Live might be the coolest Styx has ever sounded, though. Switch frontside flips for days. But hey, just my two cents.  P-Rod and Primitive are sort of dry as a whole, but shit, I at least had fun with Encore. Carlos and Tiago really made that video for me.