Author Topic: why does everybody hate NHS now?  (Read 12143 times)

tyshoes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 8
Re: why does everybody hate NHS now?
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2020, 10:47:02 AM »
Never liked Creature boards much. Santa Cruz always seemed a bit kookish to me. Wouldn't mind getting a Braun board, as long as it's not a slick. Seemed like a very generic company in the 90s. Never been into Independent, never liked the logo(regardless of trying to change the public's mind on iron crosses or not, it's just not an aesthetically pleasing logo to me) I always rode Ventures and I liked my Krux.

But I do love my OJs. I've had bones, spitfire and pig and I just feel more comfortable on OJs.

Yeah man, SC were kinda MIA in the 90s. They popped up with everslicks and I got one but really I dont remember anyone riding SC decks. Im in NYC area tho. 20 years later I got back into it and grabbed the Kevin Braun deck cus it was super cheap and a Real Heavyweights. The Real is super spongey in comparison and I just liked the KB more. The KB one I got (hot dog graphic) was not a slick and I think its in powerly also. Its snappy for sure but you gotta like steep tails and a 14" wb. If I was paying $60 for a deck, its not gonna be a SC but Im 100% content with it for $29 I got it for and the Real is just sitting.

And Low Key, I was considering those spongebob trucks and hitting them with paint remover and sanding them raw but I figured, too much effort and grabbed raw indies. In the 90s, Indys used to slip axels and the majority of us changed to the Venture lows with the green bushings and like 45mm wheels. Still have them and great trucks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:05:05 PM by tyshoes »

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2020, 12:31:59 PM »
I’d only ride sc for the winkowskis, personally
niggling

[/quote]

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2020, 12:53:06 PM »
From NHS I've only skated 2 Creature boards. Last one was horrible and I don't recall anything special from the first one that was like 14 years ago.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2020, 01:00:34 AM »
Big Dick Is Back In Town

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2020, 01:48:01 AM »
Big Dick Is Back In Town

Rob Jessup could be the Phil Swift of our industry. Get this man on The Nine Club.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ohnowisee

• Rep: -2
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2020, 02:35:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Never liked Creature boards much. Santa Cruz always seemed a bit kookish to me. Wouldn't mind getting a Braun board, as long as it's not a slick. Seemed like a very generic company in the 90s. Never been into Independent, never liked the logo(regardless of trying to change the public's mind on iron crosses or not, it's just not an aesthetically pleasing logo to me) I always rode Ventures and I liked my Krux.

But I do love my OJs. I've had bones, spitfire and pig and I just feel more comfortable on OJs.
[close]

Yeah man, SC were kinda MIA in the 90s. They popped up with everslicks and I got one but really I dont remember anyone riding SC decks. Im in NYC area tho. 20 years later I got back into it and grabbed the Kevin Braun deck cus it was super cheap and a Real Heavyweights. The Real is super spongey in comparison and I just liked the KB more. The KB one I got (hot dog graphic) was not a slick and I think its in powerly also. Its snappy for sure but you gotta like steep tails and a 14" wb. If I was paying $60 for a deck, its not gonna be a SC but Im 100% content with it for $29 I got it for and the Real is just sitting.

And Low Key, I was considering those spongebob trucks and hitting them with paint remover and sanding them raw but I figured, too much effort and grabbed raw indies. In the 90s, Indys used to slip axels and the majority of us changed to the Venture lows with the green bushings and like 45mm wheels. Still have them and great trucks.

The KB hot dog one was the one I kept thinking about getting(I'm from Chicago, so a hot dog board is only right). I'm pretty sure slipping axles was another reason I didn't get Indys and maybe someone saying they were heavy and then I tried them and that just stuck. I definitely had those ventures with the green bushing and back then I was riding pig wheels 46mm. I remember a buddy got like 55 mm wheels and they looked like monster truck wheels.  Of course now I ride 54mm and they don't look so gigantic.
Ilford is way more core than Kodak - natenola forever

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2020, 06:12:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Moving manufactuering to China
Relying heavily on Licenses
[close]
this but the china indys are unironically better. last nhs board i had warped to hell
The castings seem very clean, but many people are reporting the same issue with the pivots on China Indy's. I've tried several kinds of pivot cups, but the pivot will still sit too loosely and grind through them like nothing. Never had pivot issues with Indy's before China. I'm not even against the move to China in principal, but this is a big enough issue that I probably won't buy another set, after skating Indy's exclusively for over 15 years.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2020, 06:43:17 PM »
Given the sheer quantity that China manufactures for the world, I doubt it's the actual quality of the trucks versus perceived quality. Not an Indy fan, never felt right for me, so I won't comment on how they feel from stage to stage.

They went off the deep end of the licensing side; a couple of collabs are fine (Star Wars was sick) but pizza trucks is where I draw the line.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2020, 06:51:11 PM »
People ( Grosso/ Indy defectors) only get that butthurt about money, business politics or relationships.

Also for what it's worth,
The logo for the trucks was based on the Iron Cross according to the author, Jim Phillips. It has remained the Independent logo since the company's inception. It's the French variation of the Cross pattée.

Jim Phillips says in his 2007 book "The Art of Jim Phillips":

"...I began toying with the iron, or Maltese cross which was long dead as the old 60s surfer's cross, and even longer dead as the biker's cross. I used a beam compass to make it into a round shape, which looked completely different than the old square iron crosses... I took my idea into the NHS office the next morning and it went on the wall as usual. Jay and Rich each stared at it for a while, and they both thought that it looked a little too "Nazi". My sketches were rejected and I was sent back to the drawing board. I went back to my studio determined to use it, knowing it was the one. I searched my archives and scrap file for some justification for using the symbol. I found a firefighter's logo, symbols on the knights and Columbus sails. Then in my scrap file, under the letter P, I found a Time magazine cover of Pope John Paul from the June 18, 1979 edition. It was amazing; there was a cross on his vestments almost the way I designed mine. I marched into the office the next morning with the magazine to show what I thought was proof of acceptability. They both looked at each other and said, 'Well, if the Pope has it, it must be okay!' That was that, and the Independent cross was born."

The funny thing (about that phony story) is that their second ad came out a year before featuring an Indy cross logo and a photo of Bobby Valdez doing a frontside air in front of an Indy cross banner.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2020, 07:00:05 PM »
Now? Shit's been wack since the 90s. The only good NHS company ever was Sonic.

darkelfdruid

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2020, 09:29:34 PM »
Now? Shit's been wack since the 90s. The only good NHS company ever was Sonic.
Andrew cannon loves sonic the hedgehog

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2020, 06:44:13 AM »
I'm less bummed about the China stuff than I am about their stuff that oddly still seems to support racism. After decades of supporting a known racist and only cutting him loose when the younger generation got annoyed about it. Props to the kids for doing it. My generation either outright or placidly approved, or shrugged our shoulders and said, well, that's life..

You're either on one side of this or the other..
Check the thread below and let me know..
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=101003.msg3217887#msg3217887
Well...DLX still supports Chase Webb

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2020, 09:31:30 AM »
None of the NHS board brands have been cool for at least 10 years...

OJ is fine I guess but Spitfire pretty much runs the wheel market right now.

Indy has always been their money maker but their tough guy, beer drinking image and rumors of downgrading in quality seem to be hurting them substantially lately.

LOL at Krux...

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2020, 10:00:38 AM »
im just curious bbecause I see everyones leaving nhs brands or talking doodoo about them
who is everyone? The only pro I noticed was Grosso because he was fairly outspoken about it. and I guess cody chapman left SC a bunch of years ago and ended up pro for doom sayers

My guess for any pros that are bummed on NHS, its about money and wanting more but not getting more. For consumers that hate NHS could be a whole list of reasons; lame graphics, outdated brand image, licensing deals, iron crosses, made in china, mall vibes...list goes on.

I used to really like SC decks in the Tim Brauch era. sick concave, nice looking decks. somewhere down the line the decks became really shitty quality. Now in the last few years the decks are really nice again. the graphics still suck, but the deck quality is top notch. also if you like shaped decks SC is one of the best brands for that, creature too. That dressen reissue slick that just came out is rad as fuck.

every rad dad and big sis has a SC dot logo hoodie so I kinda hate those and the brand as a result. I would skate a deck but never ever wear any clothing from SC

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2020, 10:45:24 AM »
theres so many better options instead of nhs for me. they were always pretty lame and i can still skate better brands without supporting them
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Smartass

• Rep: 46
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2020, 11:23:23 AM »
theres so many better options instead of nhs for me. they were always pretty lame and i can still skate better brands without supporting them

Basically this. Indys are really the only thing that they really got anymore. Would've said Mob too, but Mob has been going down hill lately, and Ultra Grip is honestly really good.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2020, 12:04:25 PM »
Expand Quote
DLX and Thrasher are owned by high speed productions, which is the Vitello’s who I’m pretty sure still co-own NHS with Richard Novak. Ermico was Swenson, Vitello, and Novak, so I don’t see why the Vitello’s wouldn’t still own NHS since it makes zillions.
[close]
I find this interesting, the info i'm here for.

also "The pair (Swenson/Vitello) manufactured the revolutionary skateboard trucks (Indy) at a foundry in the Hunters Point Shipyard. The foundry, operated under the name Ermico Enterprises Inc., has since moved to 17th Street in Potrero Hill.  They also began the distribution company Deluxe Distributions, which operates adjacent to Ermico Enterprises."

I mean yeah everything is somewhat connected when started in the same area and by the same group of people. How they are owned and operated today is interesting to me, though. But not much info about what NHS is a subsidiary of?

Indy was/is a partnership between NHS and Ermico. There are no other associations between the two brands.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2020, 12:27:20 PM »
Anyone who talks bad about jessup is big bum. I prefer Jessup. Respect to Rob Jessup.

Diocletian

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2020, 12:46:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
DLX and Thrasher are owned by high speed productions, which is the Vitello’s who I’m pretty sure still co-own NHS with Richard Novak. Ermico was Swenson, Vitello, and Novak, so I don’t see why the Vitello’s wouldn’t still own NHS since it makes zillions.
[close]
I find this interesting, the info i'm here for.

also "The pair (Swenson/Vitello) manufactured the revolutionary skateboard trucks (Indy) at a foundry in the Hunters Point Shipyard. The foundry, operated under the name Ermico Enterprises Inc., has since moved to 17th Street in Potrero Hill.  They also began the distribution company Deluxe Distributions, which operates adjacent to Ermico Enterprises."

I mean yeah everything is somewhat connected when started in the same area and by the same group of people. How they are owned and operated today is interesting to me, though. But not much info about what NHS is a subsidiary of?
[close]

Indy was/is a partnership between NHS and Ermico. There are no other associations between the two brands.

Well yeah, Indy is a truck company, so of course they were associated with Ermico before the move to China. However, Indy is owned by NHS, which is owned by the same people who own Thrasher and DLX according to Grosso, as I mentioned before. Making all these attempts to escape “nazi trucks” funny since the money would be going to the same people, therefore ermico is pouring all that nazi aluminum into venture and thunder molds. Ace supports JJ so they’re obviously nazi’s too, can’t buy those ones oh no. It’s looking bleak out there for some of you lol.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2020, 06:24:06 PM »
Anyone who talks bad about jessup is big bum. I prefer Jessup. Respect to Rob Jessup.

Rob Jessup > Phil Swift
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2020, 12:56:10 PM »
even standard Jessup feels good tbh.. mob just rips up your pants, hands, shoes, everything. really good tho if you money for new shoes often tho

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2020, 02:37:36 PM »
Where’s the evidence of Ace supporting 1010? I’ve only seen his pro model for Indy

Lester

• Rep: 0
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2020, 03:55:06 PM »
Where’s the evidence of Ace supporting 1010? I’ve only seen his pro model for Indy

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106621.msg3089248#msg3089248

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2020, 04:07:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=106621.msg3089248#msg3089248
Weird, the ace insta account doesn’t follow him or have any photos of him.  But yeah, Joey posting that does suck.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2020, 02:36:33 PM »
This and the nazi thread have me all bummed out.

My last creature was one of my favorite boards ever but accidentally left it out in the rain one night.
Are their boards still any good?

sigh.
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

secondhandstoke

• Rep: -448
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2020, 03:19:06 PM »
Indy trucks perform better, period.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2020, 04:18:35 PM »
Some bad info on here.

Ermico was Fausto Vitello, Eric Swenson

NHS was Richard Novak, Jay Shuriman and Doug Haut (Surfboard shaper).

Ermico and NHS got together to make Indy happen.

Ermico was the foundry that actually manufactured the trucks in SF. NHS did the distro and all the other shit.

Ermico later founded High Speed productions, Thrasher/ Slap (Hey, they own us!)  and Deluxe (Thunder, Spitfire, later Real, AH, Krooked etc.)

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2020, 12:01:27 AM »
Some bad info on here.

Ermico was the foundry that actually manufactured the trucks in SF. NHS did the distro and all the other shit.

Ermico later founded High Speed productions, Thrasher/ Slap (Hey, they own us!)  and Deluxe (Thunder, Spitfire, later Real, AH, Krooked etc.)
Isn't Metiver in the mix too at NHS?
He also helped design the first Indy?
Creature is his baby?

I vaguely remember something about Blackhart helping and them basically copying Bennett geometry with a hanger you could grind.
And granddaddy Vitello started Ermico to produce Indy's
And started Thrasher to promote NHS products..
Just look at the ads in issue #1
And Indy's always had the page back in Thrasher..

I thought Real and Vitello were hooked up from the start?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2020, 12:23:48 AM »
Cringe graphics aside, how are the Santa Cruz boards? On par with dwindle pro boards?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2020, 07:13:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Some bad info on here.

[close]
Isn't Metiver in the mix too at NHS?
He also helped design the first Indy?
Creature is his baby?

I vaguely remember something about Blackhart helping and them basically copying Bennett geometry with a hanger you could grind.
And granddaddy Vitello started Ermico to produce Indy's
And started Thrasher to promote NHS products..
Just look at the ads in issue #1
And Indy's always had the page back in Thrasher..

I thought Real and Vitello were hooked up from the start?

Ermico approached Blackhart to test Indy's out for sure. Read the Indy book. It is all in there. Real was always under Deluxe, correct but didn't come until Tommy G and Jim T left Powell much later. Thrasher was indeed a continuation of the NHS/ Ermico relationship.