Author Topic: Horrible skate trends you've fallen victim to  (Read 29244 times)

mclovin1336

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
Re: Horrible skate trends you've fallen victim to
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2020, 07:43:08 AM »
rims, colourful wheels (like neon colours), cutting the shoe tongue out of one shoe and putting it in another to make them look fatter, very thight jeans in my zero/ fallen days, griptape "art", skating solely with headphones even though youre with friends

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #181 on: February 18, 2020, 07:52:00 AM »
This thread kinda begs the question...

80's trends - neon vision street wear and acid wash jeans
90's trends - baggy pants and ecstasy
2003-09 trends - I'm emo AF

But what about 2010 - 2019? ...Dylan style? 

Also, the current wave of like Supreme FA Palace fashion gear will be looked back on just like Ed Hardy shirts, personally I find the whole look regular already. Bucket hats and track suits... Hmmm...

Everyone carrying those little fanny pack bags is cringe-worthy. I guess if you're a chick... maybe... but even then, pretty awful. Will definitely be looked back on as "What was I thinking?" They were lame when they first were popular in 1994.
Those colored camos that look like 4Loko cans.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Fernandito

• Rep: -77
« Reply #182 on: February 18, 2020, 07:52:20 AM »
Flannels and cords
Baggy stuff now

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2020, 08:07:40 AM »
This thread kinda begs the question...

80's trends - neon vision street wear and acid wash jeans
90's trends - baggy pants and ecstasy
2003-09 trends - I'm emo AF

But what about 2010 - 2019? ...Dylan style? 

Also, the current wave of like Supreme FA Palace fashion gear will be looked back on just like Ed Hardy shirts, personally I find the whole look regular already. Bucket hats and track suits... Hmmm...

Everyone carrying those little fanny pack bags is cringe-worthy. I guess if you're a chick... maybe... but even then, pretty awful. Will definitely be looked back on as "What was I thinking?" They were lame when they first were popular in 1994.

i dont think the supreme dudes are leading fashion in skateboarding.  whats going to be looked back on currently is the baggy cuffed pants + shitty vans

drcroc

« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2020, 08:46:31 AM »

This is cringe right now I don't even need to "look back"

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3327
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #185 on: February 18, 2020, 08:56:53 AM »
Wearing a thrasher t-shirt and becoming a homosexual.

Imagine taking dick up the ass because skateboarding.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #186 on: February 18, 2020, 09:00:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Imagine taking dick up the ass because skateboarding.

Gay conversion therapy on rollerblading confirmed

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2020, 09:21:37 AM »
Shoelace belt is not as efficient as a regular belt.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3327
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2020, 09:29:54 AM »
Shoelace belt is not as efficient as a regular belt.

True, but try and fit a regular belt in your mouth and see how far you get.

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #189 on: February 18, 2020, 10:28:01 AM »

This is cringe right now I don't even need to "look back"

Ive fallen victim to the bumbag/fanny pack unfortunately, but i must say I loved having it when traveling, a nice little spot to put my passport and wallet in without having to worry about it falling out of my pockets.

A HOMOSEXUAL PERSON

• Rep: -24
« Reply #190 on: February 18, 2020, 10:29:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kook this man

thrasher is super lame and trendy, get over it.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #191 on: February 18, 2020, 11:27:03 AM »
mesh trucker hat

vans era shoes

carhartt vest

Technique

« Reply #192 on: February 18, 2020, 11:46:39 AM »
Every single one of them. I’d probably dress so much more decently if I didn’t have to have a whole separate skate wardrobe of cheap shitty clothes I’m not afraid to wear for skating. Also yes, skateboarding did make me cheap. Can’t spend too much on clothes in general after discovering the cardinal sin of cheap workwear and discount skate shoes.

animalflesh

« Reply #193 on: February 18, 2020, 04:02:00 PM »
mesh trucker hat

vans era shoes

carhartt vest

... what are u trying to say bro

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #194 on: February 18, 2020, 04:04:37 PM »
Vests and orange hats are so dumb unless it's Geoff Rowley at a petting zoo.

Not hating, this is the thread for such things. *Never had an orange hat though, looks like a phallic highlighter.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 04:07:59 PM by dooley »

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #195 on: February 18, 2020, 04:23:55 PM »

I remember seeing this on almost every single kid's setup at the local for a good few years.

Also: Era's with no laces.

Mort Garson

• Rep: 13
« Reply #196 on: February 18, 2020, 06:03:40 PM »
Extreme time capsule instance:

Wearing thrasher
Owned a welcome board with rails on it
Adidas velcro matchcourts with toe caps
Bum bag
Selfie filmed insta edits with fast cuts set to emo music
rad rat's ex-wife

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -11
« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2020, 06:16:35 PM »
Full Marc Johnson Matix kit rainbow sweater, brown cords and lakai MJ-3 select. The MJ-3 cupsole were a great shoe. But those vulc sole lakai’s ruined the brand.

Rocco Siffredi

« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2020, 10:33:25 PM »
Buying tight ass girl pants in middle school was empowering lol but waaay off the hook now

tony volume

• Rep: -13
« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2020, 11:36:58 PM »
Shit, growing up mid 2000’s I was Fat Corey Duffel. Funny thing was that I lived a few towns over from him, and became friends with him. I also had a fat Dylan phase after the Navy, and I think I’ve fallen into the current Workwear, man purse trend. I’ve always been a fan of fanny packs.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2020, 03:20:41 AM »
I rock shoe lace belts, no shame. They're light and get the job done and if I lose a lace it's not a huge deal.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2020, 03:45:28 AM »
right when i got back into skating cherry hit and my pants definitely got a little more cuffed after that, i remember some ginger fuckwit who used to film gopro pov skate vids giving me shit for being "trendy" - skip forward a couple years later and he's rainbow camo'd the fuck out making trap edits.

it is kinda funny watching peoples old footage, guy up here who looks like some bobby d suciu rieder amalgamation, watched some old footage from 2011-2013, purple krew slims ;D

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2020, 03:55:03 AM »
I'd say I have never had terrible style clothing-wise, I'm more of a trendsetter type and I draw my inspiration and references from outside of skating..

I will say that my style has come a bit more finely defined with age.. Today I'm wearing a grey pinstriped Armani suit made of pure new wool with little bit of cashmere for comfort, paired with a black turtle neck and a pair of Santoni loafers..

No skating in these shoes tho.. I usually go with 70's chucks or random non-skate shoes I find for a good deal..

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2020, 04:07:49 AM »
Full Marc Johnson Matix kit rainbow sweater, brown cords and lakai MJ-3 select. The MJ-3 cupsole were a great shoe. But those vulc sole lakai’s ruined the brand.
No essential fedora? That's what pulls the whole MJ-Bing Crosby thing together.

Loady McGee

• Rep: 55
« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2020, 04:12:41 AM »
A lot of people seem to mention the shoelace as a belt trend. I honestly can't see why it would be a horrible trend. It's such a small detail that is almost invisible. I started doing it in 2009 because a friend was doing it and he said it was much comfier to skate in than a regular belt and he was absolutely right. The difference was huge. No more annoying belt buckle pushing against your abdomen when you bend down before popping a trick or landing a trick. I personally would prefer to wear good fitting pants that doesn't require a belt at all but I've only owned one pair of pants that was like that. I never used the shoelace as a belt when I wasn't skating though.

The worst trend I fell for was the Ramones-tight jeans and striped shirts during the That's Life/Baker 3/Slaughterhouse era. Not that that style is bad or anything but the combination of that style and skate shoes of the time was horrible. You looked like a clown or a duck or something. A clown duck.

truthislie

• Rep: 56
« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2020, 05:47:02 AM »

The worst trend I fell for was the Ramones-tight jeans and striped shirts during the That's Life/Baker 3/Slaughterhouse era. Not that that style is bad or anything but the combination of that style and skate shoes of the time was horrible. You looked like a clown or a duck or something. A clown duck.

I really like the current baggy trend since it´s what I´ve grown up with and wore most of the time later anyways. But I pray this tight pants shit won´t return to skating (altough I think it will someday). I also don´t mind people wearing that stuff in normal life but skating in this clothes lucks horrible to me.

no name cargos plug

« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2020, 06:02:00 AM »
I will say that my style has come a bit more finely defined with age.. Today I'm wearing a grey pinstriped Armani suit made of pure new wool with little bit of cashmere for comfort, paired with a black turtle neck and a pair of Santoni loafers..
A subtle gold chain and Mikey Alfred glasses would really take this look to the next level.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #207 on: February 19, 2020, 09:40:00 AM »
Brown cords and flannels. Fuck you, Matix Fall Catalogue 2008.

There was a period of time when I strictly wore size 40 blue denim and tight black t-shirts because I thought Fulfill The Dream was the greatest.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2020, 10:31:21 AM »
Not gonna lie, i've definitely partaken in the male purse/bumbag trend

that being said - i've only used it when i needed to throw my film camera in there or if i needed to carry skate tools with me but didn't want to bring my whole backpack.

Don't get it twisted, i'm not one of those monsters that has one of those strapped to my chest with it being completely empty, wearing it strictly for clout aesthetic purposes

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2020, 10:51:29 AM »
Expand Quote
mesh trucker hat

vans era shoes

carhartt vest
[close]

... what are u trying to say bro
I was listing the horrible trends I fell victim to. let me give you a story about each one.

in 2000, a freshly minted adult, i went on a road trip north to portland and skated at burnside. At burnside there was lots burly bowl troggs doing skateboarding that I was impressed by. My friends and I took notice that all the burly bowl troggs were wearing hats that made them look extra tough. on the way home we all purchased "I <3 weed" mesh hats in Weed California. It didnt make me look tough tho because im a weenie. I still have it, its filthy.

In 2001 I worked at a vans skatepark in the skate shop. After the rowley shoe sparked the resurgence of "OF the Wall" shoe styles, lots of the older dudes were coming in to buy vans eras. I wanted to be rad too so I started wearing them. Bland basic shoes that every tom dick and harry wear. Its just a deck shoe. Its a style children wear. they look like toddler shoes i.e. Keds. I also hate when skating and surfing get lumped together so wearing shoes for boating/beach life goes against those feelings. the original vans were just deck shoes that skaters liked. later vans made shoes specifically for skateboarding, but the era is just a deck shoe with a little padding. Half cabs are the last cool style of vans that hasnt been stolen by the normies.

I have a carhartt vest. I look like a weenie wrapped in a hotdog bun when i wear it. its the same color as a hotdog bun. After being heckled at bobs I decided never again. the next time i showed up wearing a new hotdog bun vest and my I <3 Weed trucker hat and nobody said shit to me. They still drank all my beer tho.

... oh and dont call me bro.