Author Topic: Have you ever been conned/hustled? and for how much?  (Read 2305 times)

theSketchLord

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Have you ever been conned/hustled? and for how much?
« on: February 16, 2020, 06:17:29 AM »
Me and a mate once got totally hustled on a pool table when we were about 15 or 16.
The guy explained this super complex system, so even if we lost the game we'd still be up.

25 minutes later and my entire twenty quid was gone.
I never found out what the scam even was.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
Re: Have you ever been conned/hustled? and for how much?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 11:00:55 AM »
I was like 18, super drunk at 4am after a club and this random guy came to ask if we want to buy some weed. We were like sure, gave the guy a 20, he told us to wait while he goes to get the weed from his apartment right around the corner and never came back.

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 11:02:11 AM »
When I was 16 I sold a bike to guy who claimed to have left his cash in his car, he gave me his wallet to hold onto until he got it and came back, I was young and stupid. Turns out he stole someones wallet and took the cash out and just gave me his cards and bolted. I didn't even think to look at his ID picture, or question why he didn't keep his cash in his wallet.

Live and learn. I'd also be interested to stories of people conning/hustling others as well. Strictly for preventive measure of course.

For instance, a guy I used to work with taught me if you go to a WaWa and order food through their automated system it sends a ticket to the people making the food, then it prints out a ticket for you to take the register and pay. He then goes and get's a cheap water bottle and pays for it with his food ticket, but doesn't show them, goes and grabs his food which they think he's paid for and leaves. The employees don't really make enough to care and he did that for the entire time I worked with him.

He would also steal from Chipotle. You can order food on their app and they make it, bag, it, and put it on that little shelf with your name on it. You have to pay for it first though through the app and they never verified it was you when you picked it up. So he would just walk in, grab a bag of food, and then leave.

This is all shitty, but after listening to ISUCKS nine club I'm always interested in struggling stories.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 11:28:31 AM »
When I was 16 I sold a bike to guy who claimed to have left his cash in his car, he gave me his wallet to hold onto until he got it and came back, I was young and stupid. Turns out he stole someones wallet and took the cash out and just gave me his cards and bolted. I didn't even think to look at his ID picture, or question why he didn't keep his cash in his wallet.

Live and learn. I'd also be interested to stories of people conning/hustling others as well. Strictly for preventive measure of course.

For instance, a guy I used to work with taught me if you go to a WaWa and order food through their automated system it sends a ticket to the people making the food, then it prints out a ticket for you to take the register and pay. He then goes and get's a cheap water bottle and pays for it with his food ticket, but doesn't show them, goes and grabs his food which they think he's paid for and leaves. The employees don't really make enough to care and he did that for the entire time I worked with him.

He would also steal from Chipotle. You can order food on their app and they make it, bag, it, and put it on that little shelf with your name on it. You have to pay for it first though through the app and they never verified it was you when you picked it up. So he would just walk in, grab a bag of food, and then leave.

This is all shitty, but after listening to ISUCKS nine club I'm always interested in struggling stories.

Go to a packed McDonald's with table service or other similar fast food place. Find a receipt someone threw away of an order placed like 30-40 minutes ago. Go to the counter and aggressively ask why you haven't gotten your food yet and they apologize and quickly serve you the food.

Order at McDonald's, eat the food and come back with the receipt saying they forgot one of the items. They usually give it to you and if you act pissed, they might throw in something extra.

Go to a packed bar/club where you can pay with card. Order drinks, the bartender gives you the machine, you put in the card and take it out so it cancelles the transaction. Then write in a new price of 0,01 and pay. Bartender usually never checks the receipt and you drink for free the whole night.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 05:40:43 PM »
Obligatory 'not me' but I can personally guarantee the IKEA trick works, you need an accomplice though. If in need of furniture and devoid of either money or self esteem, stack whatever you want on a cart, and then make a perfect double of that cart. Person one goes to check out with the original cart and pays like they're supposed to, while person two sneaks duplicate of cart to a position reachable (at an arm's reach) from the zone after check out then 'discards' it and joins person one at check out. Person one goes outside to load the car, while person two pulls the duplicate cart over to the appropriate counter to ask for a full refund for some ridiculous reason ('I've changed my mind' seems to suffice), bringing in the receipt from person one. Free furniture. I know a person whose entire house's worth of furniture was 'arranged' like this, that's counting full-on beds, shelves and even a six-foot-tall Christmas tree once.

Also at IKEA for the people who eat there and stepping down ambition-wise, in some countries they like to stick a little decorative flag into one of your meatballs, that's actually an indicator that you're maxed out on meatballs on your plate and that you're supposed to pay extra. If you order the large portion and get rid of the flag before check out, you pay the price for the smaller portion, no one's out there counting your meatballs.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:49:52 PM by silhouette »

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 05:49:18 PM »
I got into a Gypsy cab at JFK for a work trip. Half way to Manhattan, I tell him to go back to the airport because I can’t get a receipt to expense the trip. He was pissed and I wasted over an hour of my time.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 06:23:46 PM »
Thankfully I've never really been ripped off, never been robbed...who knows, it may change.

I've been close to that, though. One time I was looking for an apartment in Toronto and came across a nice-looking ad on Craigslist. I can't remember the details clearly, but I really needed a place to stay and when I got in touch with the owner, I think he told me that he wasn't available to show me the apartment, but if I sent him money via Western Union he'd get someone to give me the keys. Something real fishy.

I was naive enough to think it might work so I went to a store with a Western Union outlet, not feeling good about it, and called their support line when I got to the kiosk. I asked the lady on the phone if she thought it was a scam and she said, "I don't think it's a scam, I know its a scam," and so obviously I didn't go through with it.

The kicker was, when I was on the subway outside, I got a call from the guy asking me if I had sent the money yet. I blew up at him on the phone telling him that I knew it was a scam and he hung up immediately.

Another weird story - my first time in NYC when I was 20, I was walking around solo at night and a guy with his friend came up to me asking if he could borrow some money. I only had a few dollars left and needed to save as much as I could. He told me it was his birthday and kept asking. I caved in and gave him some. I guess incessant begging is kind of a hustle.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 07:51:59 PM »
Lost around 2 grand thanks to a "friend" I trusted who was pushing some cryptocurrency during the time bitcoin was booming. Should have done more research on it before I committed, got caught up in the bitcoin buzz and took his word for it since he always struck me as being a trustworthy guy. I got the cryptocurrency but it has since tanked with zero buyers, so cashing out on anything is nearly impossible.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 10:06:48 PM »
I think it was like $400.00 for this organic food co-op where you kick down for a share which guaranteed you organic produce for a season or something....we got a few weeks and then found out the lady skipped town. 

It sucked but was a sign that I was prolly a bit too bougie for my own good.  I even went to a meeting where everyone was going to try and get their money back and I left thinking.....'you losers deserved it...I'm going back to shopping at that Chung Brothers Produce'.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 10:26:25 PM »
Not proud of this at all

I blackmailed a construction company owner for $7k
His employee did a hit a run on my car and some local friends got the trucks tags as he sped off...I told the owner if he gave me the $7k, that I wouldn’t report his company to the police and insurance ...raising his rates.  Dude was not happy to fork it over.   I think the repairs ended up being half that

Stephens Lawyer

• Rep: 139
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 11:04:54 PM »
this happened to the driver of a car i was a passenger in. honestly it's kinda funny since it was so brazen. i didn't know it had happened until we had already taken off.

we were getting gas after a bit of a roadtrip and there was a couple in an old truck on the opposite side of the pump. apparently they convinced my buddy to get them enough gas for a trip a few towns over, maybe 30 miles away. he's feeling charitable so he says sure ok and swipes his card for the other side of the pump as well. the women starts chatting with him about whatever. anyways, the pump runs off like 24 gallons. buddy is like what the hell man you said just a couple gallons. the dude is just like sorry thanks and they drive off.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 12:55:29 AM »
First trip to Russia, I had taken a few super sketchy gypsy taxis in Moscow, so when in arriving in St. Petes. I took a normal taxi from the train station to my hotel. Dude got me for around $66 dollars when the trip should have been closer to $20 dollars.

Taxi driver in Czech Republic changed price after the ex wife and I had loaded all our shit into his taxi and we needed to get to the airport as fast as possible so we just gave him the extra money.

I've hustled myself every time I put stuff in a storage unit. I end up leaving my shit there for years and then donating it after it is all said and done. I basically charge myself $600 a year to delay throwing my stuff away.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Classy Durag

• Rep: 62
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 05:13:39 AM »
Only once when I was young and naive.. was skating at a gas station with a buddy and we asked a guy if he could get us any weed. He seemed nice and said “sure what do you need” we pulled out our last 20$ and said this much. He said “ok no problem, you guys wait here and I’ll be back with the weed in a little bit” We must of waited over 5 hours at that gas station before we realized the dude wasn’t coming back with the bud..

Classy Durag

• Rep: 62
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 05:26:55 AM »
I just remembered bonnaroo 2006 bought a “10 strip” from some dirty wookie and the doses turned out to be bunk. Also when I dabbled with coke I went to go buy some and when I got home realized dude sold me hard. Straight up threw it in the trash I’ve never smoked crack and I ain’t planning on it.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 05:34:53 AM »
gotten robbed by some chavvy cunts in Glasgow as they cut me with a jib, but hustled nope.  I figure it like this I've done a lot of shiesty sketchy things when it comes to hustling and scamming rich kids from private schools looking for drugs that I was do for karma to come fuck me in the ass.
Dueces Bitch's

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 07:12:20 AM »
I used to work with the queen of scams.
You can google her "Lambrina Kelsis" and there's a current affair episode on her.

She's been on the run for about 7 years, she's done it all. Pink meet and greet ticket scams, skydiving booking scams. She even had her mother take out a second mortgage and fucked off with the money.

Last week apparently she used a fake bank transaction to scam some woman out of a $700 bed set.

Me and mate reckon one day she's gonna fuck over the wrong people and wind up out in the weeds somewhere.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 03:56:31 AM »
gotten robbed by some chavvy cunts in Glasgow as they cut me with a jib, but hustled nope.  I figure it like this I've done a lot of shiesty sketchy things when it comes to hustling and scamming rich kids from private schools looking for drugs that I was do for karma to come fuck me in the ass.

Some ned bastards pulled a knife on me at Bristo Square and stole my wallet. Its the Scottish way...
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 07:00:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some ned bastards pulled a knife on me at Bristo Square and stole my wallet. Its the Scottish way...

Yip, Scotland can get a little bit stabby sometimes.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 08:30:55 AM »
I lost $4000 or so on a shit investment that a family friend’s son had pitched to my dad.

I was trading a lot of stocks at the time and you accept a very real risk of loss when doing so but this guy worked for a reputable broker and the pitch was that I was buying into the IPO of the next cellular giant of Asia and that I could only get in with a minimum purchase.

I maybe should have done more homework obviously (although the English news at the time was generally positive on this company’s prospects). Who knows, maybe it could have gone the other way but the company never got off the ground and its stock crashed hard.

That said, this guy who I bought through was apparently generating lots of business through similar claims that worked out poorly for investors and got fired. When I closed my account they said I owed more in fees than I had left. I told them I had just lost 4 grand on some trash picked by “Scott” and they were very apologetic, said he no longer worked for them and waived the fees.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 09:04:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Go to a packed McDonald's with table service or other similar fast food place. Find a receipt someone threw away of an order placed like 30-40 minutes ago. Go to the counter and aggressively ask why you haven't gotten your food yet and they apologize and quickly serve you the food.

Order at McDonald's, eat the food and come back with the receipt saying they forgot one of the items. They usually give it to you and if you act pissed, they might throw in something extra.

Go to a packed bar/club where you can pay with card. Order drinks, the bartender gives you the machine, you put in the card and take it out so it cancelles the transaction. Then write in a new price of 0,01 and pay. Bartender usually never checks the receipt and you drink for free the whole night.

my friend sometimes runs this little scam on anywhere with vending machines by going in, dumping a few pennies into the thing then going to the counter and saying he paid for xyz and it didnt give him it. with how shitty vending machines are they usually give whatever he supposedly paid for.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 09:32:14 AM »
When I briefly moved to Louisiana a couple years ago I bought weed from a a dude; it was supposed to be 2 gs for 30 which is expensive but I was desperate. The weed ended up weighing 1.2 grams
So I guess I kinda got ripped for $15
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 09:50:46 AM »
back in the 90s an older local skater sold me a cracked (not visible) silver star or Illuminati board. I was like 15 and he was about 25-26. He was not a street skater, only skated ramps. I proceeded to learn every single trick he could do within the next 6-12 months. It felt very good.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 972
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 10:23:38 AM »
I got robbed 2x on my first day in Worcester. First time I lost my money. Second time I lost my hammer different people. Last hammer I ever had.

That life is so long ago thank goodness

I came up under this famous conman named Scampbell.

That guy was a genius when it came to punking people off and was cold fucking blooded as he'll if you weren't inside the circle within the circle and on and on.

That Fucker was the lowwest of lowws
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2020, 10:40:57 AM »
when i was 13 i bought my first ounce of weed off an older co worker. it looked like sawdust, was probably shake but i didn't know any better.

went on a camping trip in osooyos BC shortly after with my friends family. friend and i snuck out at nihht and went to the lake, saw some older kids and tried to make friends with them. they showed us their sharpened corkscrew weapon thing and we showed them our weed. which they then took from us. they also made fun of the quality weed as they were stealing it. when one of them was walking away they turned around and yelled 'don't ever show your face in Halifax'.
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 10:53:02 AM »
I bought lsd off a wheelchair guy in college and asked him if this was the shit that put him in there and he didn’t like that then the acid didn’t work so I guess he got the last laugh

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 04:03:43 AM »
oh man i just remembered some fucking dumb story from 7 years ago

our town has an air show every year and for some reason we made it this odd tradition to go there, skate the park and get fucked up on the beach - basically any public event is an excuse to get fucked up in the uk. had a good days skate, had a few drinks etc started to head home. bit of an uphill one so were walking up this fucking hill, get about half way and the unanimous decision to take a break and roll cigs was made. so we're chilling and from the top of the hill these 3 guys are walking down clearly drunk holding bottles of lambrini - that shit is some weird perry/wine combo thats marketed at females but is also a staple of lower class/alcoholic drinking culture.

they stumble upon us and ask for a cig so my friend gives the main bloke his tin with skins and tobacco and the guy rolls one, looks him dead in the eyes and just says "this is mine now" and starts walking off. my friend visibly pissed gets up to go after him and the other 2 blokes are like "leave it son just leave it", the guy turns around and starts shouting threats and walking up, trips and drops his lambrini which shattered on the floor and provided enough distraction for us to walk away at a leisurely pace.

bumped into another pal of ours the next day who was with us the previous day but opted to get the bus home from the bottom of the hill, turns out the 3 guys bumped into him and stole his hat.

Ramrod

• Rep: 7
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 09:18:14 AM »
I once got hit by a quick-change artist while working at walmart when i was 18.
They had me pushing carts the entire day in the Texas summer heat, before bringing me in to work the register the last hour and a half of my shift. I was out of it and tired so i guess I didnt really care... but when i realized what happened I felt like a damn fool.

An old friend I used to buy weed from, tried to set up a current homie and have him robbed. Used his lil homeboys to pose as dudes looking for about $3k worth of bud / oil. Everyone I know basically quit fucking with this guy because he started kicking it with ex cons / felons who were still up to no good, talking about robbing dudes and staking out dope houses all the time. My friend, who was in need of cash for an out of state skate trip, reluctantly agreed to new customers, off the good wishes of our old mutual friend.
Turns out, the 2 kids buying, the cowards that they were, tried to mace my homie (seriously.. mace? why not just whoop his ass???), and just take everything out of his car when the time was right.
My homie, with the quick thinking, yells out hes local PD, and the 2 kids book it back to their car and speed off.

Homie was luuuucky those dudes were cowards because shit could have gone very different. If it was anything other than bud, Im absolutely sure it would have.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »
I bought lsd off a wheelchair guy in college and asked him if this was the shit that put him in there and he didn’t like that then the acid didn’t work so I guess he got the last laugh

This just reminded me of how I got burned with bunk acid. I was 17, 8 of us pitched in for a small sheet. That was a long night in little Steve's parent's basement of everyone saying "Do you feel it yet???" for 6 hours. Never been more sober in my life.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2020, 12:39:40 PM »
I got conned into joining the navy to do graphic design and ended up being a supply clerk for 3 years doing inventory and excel aboard a ship. Does that count?

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 07:59:07 PM »
Back in the day this guy had bunch of VCR's and rolled up to my dad's store. My dad is always out to get a deal, dude showed him the VCR, dad gave him cash, guy gave him a new box, rolled off. My dad opens up the box and there's a fucking brick in there hahahaha. Love that story.

I got conned through paypal in December for $150 and that was not funny. That fucked me up financially big time. Oh well.