Author Topic: Why hasn’t Opteka or another company remade the MK1 Fisheye?  (Read 2888 times)

Robertdbanks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Why hasn’t Opteka or another company remade the MK1 Fisheye?
« on: February 24, 2020, 03:08:29 PM »
Have been thinking about this - Opteka has made the equivalent to the MK2 for a long time at a super affordable price. Is there a reason they(or any other company) haven’t made an MK1 equivalent? There is definitely a market for it. Especially if they made a 72mm version for Panasonic cameras.

It would also make filming with an MK1 less stressful knowing you could get another one for a few hundred dollars as opposed to the $400+ of the Century version.

I’m just wondering if it’s maybe something where Century owns the rights to something specific to the MK1 or if companies just don’t see a market in it?

Dracula

• Rep: -20
Re: Why hasn’t Opteka or another company remade the MK1 Fisheye?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 04:25:42 PM »
It has to be some legal reason or else I think opteka would’ve already hopped on that. I’m personally hoping someone would make a knock off xtreme

Robertdbanks

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 04:53:14 PM »
It has to be some legal reason or else I think opteka would’ve already hopped on that. I’m personally hoping someone would make a knock off xtreme

That too. I 100% would never buy an xtreme because all of my clips would be so far away because I would be so scared of it getting kicked/clipped.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 09:41:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That too. I 100% would never buy an xtreme because all of my clips would be so far away because I would be so scared of it getting kicked/clipped.

You could always cop the screen https://www.tadashifilters.com/

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 12:21:13 AM »
If you're thinking about pairing it up with 4:3 SD cameras, then there is no substantial market and no reason to produce it. We skateboarders live a bubble and worship a few cameras that are basically non-repairable and the amount of working cameras used worldwide shrinks every month.

If you are interested in 16:9 HD or 4K filming, then just use a Samyang/Rokinon 8mm f2.8 on a APS-C mirrorless camera. The lens is amazing and has no vig.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 12:36:54 AM »
If you're thinking about pairing it up with 4:3 SD cameras, then there is no substantial market and no reason to produce it. We skateboarders live a bubble and worship a few cameras that are basically non-repairable and the amount of working cameras used worldwide shrinks every month.

If you are interested in 16:9 HD or 4K filming, then just use a Samyang/Rokinon 8mm f2.8 on a APS-C mirrorless camera. The lens is amazing and has no vig.

this

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 12:53:55 AM »
MKI are still produced so they might not be allowed to copy it.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 01:01:56 AM »
^ Yeah, aren't MK1's still available to order brand new and specifically made for the customer straight from Century for like 800 bucks? Last time I looked into it (years ago when I was still filming with VX's), that was the case.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 01:08:05 AM »
^ Yeah, aren't MK1's still available to order brand new and specifically made for the customer straight from Century for like 800 bucks? Last time I looked into it (years ago when I was still filming with VX's), that was the case.

I bought mine from BH two weeks ago for 700.
I was tired of seeing people selling some scratched MK1 for 600 on Instagram...

I also ordered a Tadashi filter, tried it once but I think I need to have a good cleaning kit in my bag because the plastic filter is a dust magnet.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 01:13:27 AM »
From what I've seen, Tadashi filters seem to be one-hit only, as in, they tend to break a lot easier than your lens would crack and in turn, having to replace them with every non-critical lens hit or tap can get annoying real quick. Then of course, the occasional time the hit would have actually been critical I guess is when one is thankful to be using them. I have a few friends who use them and although they like to joke about them being unpractical gadgets, it's not like they seem to want to go back either.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 04:18:27 AM »
I wish there was a market for a VX reissue.  I don't even film skating and would love one that filmed to SD.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 05:17:17 AM »
From what I've seen, Tadashi filters seem to be one-hit only, as in, they tend to break a lot easier than your lens would crack and in turn, having to replace them with every non-critical lens hit or tap can get annoying real quick. Then of course, the occasional time the hit would have actually been critical I guess is when one is thankful to be using them. I have a few friends who use them and although they like to joke about them being unpractical gadgets, it's not like they seem to want to go back either.

They also sometimes ship pre-scratched.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 05:20:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They also sometimes ship pre-scratched.

Also they only have protective coating on the outside but the inside will literally scratch from just rubbing on the lens. That said im currently switching from vx to hpx and the second i start filming with the xtreme im getting one of those cause that shits too much to risk

Charbroil

• Rep: -14
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 07:07:46 AM »
you can insure your gear with an umbrella plan. Geico referred me to a partner company called Hiscox insurance. They offer an umbrella plan that covers $10k of your gear(computers, hard drives, generators, tools, etc.). This covers ANYTHING that happens to what ever you call your gear. You could spike your camera into the ground on purpose and it would be covered.

$44 a month

The deductible is $500. You do have to pay for the full repair up front and once completed they'll send you a check or direct deposit.

I've had 3 front elements for the Xtreme replaced. The Century customer service is really good also. They've turned around a repair in a 4 days once.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 07:17:23 AM »
so like what this guy has sourced and named the "3ccd fisheye", .3x lens

http://www.vx1000market.com/sony-dcrvx1000/c8n327hv4n6flyw0484p48xkhklxoe

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1059
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 07:29:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this

I own the rokinon 8mm and use it on my A7iii with the 2k crop and a DJI Ronin. It’s a great setup. #DeathTo43

EDIT: A Ronin is overkill and I don’t film skateboarding with it. Could easily get away with a smallrig or some other handle.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 07:32:13 AM by fakie nollie »

Robertdbanks

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2020, 05:39:57 PM »

Appreciate the tip!

I’m actually coming back to a VX from filming with my Panasonic HMC150. I just missed 4:3 and the HMC doesn’t have that natively built in like the HVX. I just love the framing of skating in 4:3 compared to 16:9. I also still love my HMC - it’s a great camera, I just wanted to change it up a bit.

Robertdbanks

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 05:42:47 PM »
so like what this guy has sourced and named the "3ccd fisheye", .3x lens

http://www.vx1000market.com/sony-dcrvx1000/c8n327hv4n6flyw0484p48xkhklxoe

Kind of, but that’s with an MK2 it looks like. Other companies have done this as well, some other company “Death Lens” has made an MK2 with their stamp on it.