Author Topic: Seen It On #SkateTwitter: “Adidas Skateboarding Chopped Their Entire Sales Team”  (Read 12353 times)

Charlie Hustle

I'm so glad we can now go back to supporting core shoe brands that make quality shit like this...
https://www.tactics.com/es/indium-pants/black-print

augustmoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
i seriously doubt adidas is going anywhere.  right before big olympics cash in?  no way.  They've been in skateboarding for 20 years plus now.  Even when it looked like they bailed in the early 2000s, they still had a skate program and were developing shoes even though they weren't releasing anything.  Time will tell I guess, but i really don't see it happening.
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Expand Quote
Also since this deals with skate shops. Go to Embark in Frederick Maryland. Brent is seriously one of the nicest people out there in skateboarding.
[close]

Sorry if I’m years behind the curve, Frederick wise, but... is there no more Pitcrew? Tim & Malc were always so great to deal with. Hope they’re still slangin’ sticks/sneaks.
Closed up shop 2/3 years ago but did a 25th anniversary pop up this past year.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
real fuckin nerd hours over here.

free max b
FREE MAX B

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
Hey Skatan, any insight on this?

Just read this now too, didn’t knew about the skateboarding reps but heard about the training apparel in the US getting a big cut. In this side of the ocean stuff is changing too. There is a re-structuring  happening in the whole company. My job is not affected but people are being shifted around to suit better the business needs I guess, some areas are understaffed (design) and others could do with some trimming, (marketing/reps). Adidas grew so fast in the last couple years that I think now has a some growth pains to solve.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

no name cargos plug

To be fair “salesperson” is kind of an obsolete profession in this day and age.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Yeah it is, considered sales and marketing now

Needlehead Ned

• Rep: 0
all North American skate product and skate marketing employees clipped or transferred

all North American skateshop reps/sales management clipped

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
Nike and Adidas are the sole reason 40-50% of shops in America can stay in business.

I don’t think you realize how detrimental it can be for shops to carry Nike and/or Adidas. The problem is that these big corporations will impose large seasonal minimums on small shops which the shops can barely support. Then, when the seasons done, they’re stuck with a batch of overstock footwear that they couldn’t move and have to funnel money from other sales to keep carrying those corporate brands. Unless you’re a chain shop and/or located in a mall, or are one of those skateshops that also cater to a large streetwear/hypebeast community, you’re going to have a hard time selling through all of those shoes. Besides, $10,000 footwear minimums for ONE shop are extremely hard to support unless you have a chain of stores you can distribute that through. Plenty of mom and pop skateshops won’t be carrying more than $8000 from a singular shoe brand in an entire year.  However you won’t catch most core companies imposing minimums like that.

You have to remember too that these corporate companies like Nike, adidas, etc. are looking for money. This is a business to them more than supporting the industry and a passion that they love. Most core companies like a lakai or emerica will work with shops when it comes to debts and stuff like that, which is why you’ll see shops continue to work with them. With something like a Nike or adidas, they won’t be as compassionate towards a skateshop and will likely kick them to the curb and say “tough shit” and collect that debt. My local shop had to deal with that and hasn’t carried any of those corporate brands with the exception of new balance as a result. On the opposite hand, the times they’ve worked with core brands had tough times, etc. they’ve had their hand taken through those tough times and have been taken care of by the core companies.

Yeah it’s a shitty situation to be in for a shop either way, but do you want to work with a company that’s going to be more understanding? Or a company that’s just going to take your money, kick you to the curb and move on to the next shop?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
So does this mean Cairo's already out of a job?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
real fuckin nerd hours over here.

free max b

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Monkey_Mcpott

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
It wouldn’t surprise me at all (if it’s even true). I would bet management figures they can cut everyone that laid the road for them to get into shops and whatever else and give it to like 1 person to manage.

Also good god #skatetwitter is arguably more regular than slap, and caring about someone posting it to slap is person squared!

If you are established you don't need a 'sales team' you can do it with a few 'sales people.' That Boozentits shoe line sells itself noimsaying?

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
On the bunt Karl Watson did say they were cutting back on the flowgram

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
Also since this deals with skate shops. Go to Embark in Frederick Maryland. Brent is seriously one of the nicest people out there in skateboarding.

The good old days, when Brent loaded up his little red Geo and chased skate dreams in SF.  94 maybe?  Still miss Pitcrew, but thankful Brent is carrying the torch with embark. 

weip

• Rep: 1
  • Visit Azores
    • skating avatar image
This is probably a move that hey have thought and plan before executing it, towards the corp.'s benefits. It's a shame for some people to lose their jobs, but they don't give a fuck, honestly.

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
Coronavirus isn't going to help the situation when execs start trimming more fat to maintain profits.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/02/19/adidass-china-sales-slump-85-due-to-coronavirus/#473f19df42b6

Kylo Send

Must be making room to bring Marc back for his ideas

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
Expand Quote
Nike and Adidas are the sole reason 40-50% of shops in America can stay in business.
[close]

I don’t think you realize how detrimental it can be for shops to carry Nike and/or Adidas. The problem is that these big corporations will impose large seasonal minimums on small shops which the shops can barely support. Then, when the seasons done, they’re stuck with a batch of overstock footwear that they couldn’t move and have to funnel money from other sales to keep carrying those corporate brands. Unless you’re a chain shop and/or located in a mall, or are one of those skateshops that also cater to a large streetwear/hypebeast community, you’re going to have a hard time selling through all of those shoes. Besides, $10,000 footwear minimums for ONE shop are extremely hard to support unless you have a chain of stores you can distribute that through. Plenty of mom and pop skateshops won’t be carrying more than $8000 from a singular shoe brand in an entire year.  However you won’t catch most core companies imposing minimums like that.

You have to remember too that these corporate companies like Nike, adidas, etc. are looking for money. This is a business to them more than supporting the industry and a passion that they love. Most core companies like a lakai or emerica will work with shops when it comes to debts and stuff like that, which is why you’ll see shops continue to work with them. With something like a Nike or adidas, they won’t be as compassionate towards a skateshop and will likely kick them to the curb and say “tough shit” and collect that debt. My local shop had to deal with that and hasn’t carried any of those corporate brands with the exception of new balance as a result. On the opposite hand, the times they’ve worked with core brands had tough times, etc. they’ve had their hand taken through those tough times and have been taken care of by the core companies.

Yeah it’s a shitty situation to be in for a shop either way, but do you want to work with a company that’s going to be more understanding? Or a company that’s just going to take your money, kick you to the curb and move on to the next shop?

I mean a lot of shops do cater to hype beasts though, and that’s a fact. Like do you realize how much lottery’s and raffles and shit at shops bring into a shop?

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
In June of 2019 I was in Berlin and met Jon Wexler, VP of Global entertainment and Influencer marketing at adidas. He did a presentation for my company about how getting the right celebrities can revive/rejuvenate a brand.

He was the person who came up with and pushed for The Yeezy (Kanye’s shoe/brand). Prior to that launch, adidas was getting pummeled by Nike and Under Armor in sales and was on the verge of total collapse. He essentially said “you need to find someone who makes adidas a lifestyle, not just a shoe, and makes people want to wear them to live that lifestyle”. The launch of that shoe saved the adidas brand, as a whole, from completely dying and now people identify yeezys with wealth and urban lifestyle.

That has nothing to do with this, other than there isn’t a single adidas rider that makes me want to be more like them by wearing their shoe. The whole team looks like Olympic euro-trash poster children (can’t remember which user was so offended by someone calling Aurelien Giraud the Euro Nyjah but, if you’re reading this, I am specifically calling tracksuits euro trash to offend you and you alone) and is indistinguishable. I think Nike does a decent job of giving their riders, as individuals, an identity and it helps each pro model sell to a specific demographic of skateboarder, whether it be a model designed by someone or a select color way.

Whether adidas bows down or attempts to make their skate division more successful, I think they need to at least attempt making their skate division have an identity that couldn’t be mistaken for anything other than skateboarding.... not just slap 3 stripes and a toe cap on a flat-soled shoe and expect the kids to go crazy.

EDITS I’m stuck at Newark waiting for my flight home and am too drunk to write coherently
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:30:53 PM by fakie nollie »

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I mean a lot of shops do cater to hype beasts though, and that’s a fact. Like do you realize how much lottery’s and raffles and shit at shops bring into a shop?

A few of the more well known shops in the US may get to participate in those drops like a Labor, Escapist, 303, etc., and its cool to see shops like that making a buck off of it as well as getting extra heads through their doors, but in reality this is a mere fraction of shops around the U.S.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
One of the former adidas skate reps posted a picture wearing nikes a couple days ago.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
In June of 2019 I was in Berlin and met Jon Wexler, VP of Global entertainment and Influencer marketing at adidas. He did a presentation for my company about how getting the right celebrities can revive/rejuvenate a brand.

He was the person who came up with and pushed for The Yeezy (Kanye’s shoe/brand). Prior to that launch, adidas was getting pummeled by Nike and Under Armor in sales and was on the verge of total collapse. He essentially said “you need to find someone who makes adidas a lifestyle, not just a shoe, and makes people want to wear them to live that lifestyle”. The launch of that shoe saved the adidas brand, as a whole, from completely dying and now people identify yeezys with wealth and urban lifestyle.

That has nothing to do with this, other than there isn’t a single adidas rider that makes me want to be more like them by wearing their shoe. The whole team looks like Olympic euro-trash poster children (can’t remember which user was so offended by someone calling Aurelien Giraud the Euro Nyjah but, if you’re reading this, I am specifically calling tracksuits euro trash to offend you and you alone) and is indistinguishable. I think Nike does a decent job of giving their riders, as individuals, an identity and it helps each pro model sell to a specific demographic of skateboarder, whether it be a model designed by someone or a select color way.

Whether adidas bows down or attempts to make their skate division more successful, I think they need to at least attempt making their skate division have an identity that couldn’t be mistaken for anything other than skateboarding.... not just slap 3 stripes and a toe cap on a flat-soled shoe and expect the kids to go crazy.

EDITS I’m stuck at Newark waiting for my flight home and am too drunk to write coherently

i mean, that's just not true. they were up 18% in 2015, the year before yeezys came out. adidas-group.com/en/media/news-archive/press-releases/2016/full-year-2015-results/

Net income to increase between 10% and 12% to around € 800 million

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Eds_gallerist

Yeah, it sounds more like the dude successfully soll himself to you fakie nollie. As if one shoe (his idea) saved the whole adidas brand that as stated before by skatan and shannamal grew pretty well over the last decade.

Tabletop

• Rep: -72

So you're saying you want to be more like kanye than chewy?  ::)

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
Y’all fucking realize we are in this fucking predicament because skate shoe companies shafted shops and sold everywhere? Like this is such fucking modern liberal bullshit pyschobabble without any historical context for why things are the way they are with a touch of anti corporatism and anti capaitalism. Anti corporatism is not bad by itself, what causes anti corporatism to go bad is the individuals at the top once their companies take off end up realizing they can have extreme wealth and start making decisions based on that, or sell it to some other company make a lot of profit, and then those guys at that top of that conglomerate or private equity firm end up doing the same thing. This is what occured with SKATER OWNED COMPANIES. do you think Pierre and Don started fucking selling to malls because it was ethical compared to skate shops. Hell no, as a matter of fact they are even More fucking greedy because they don’t have thousands of shareholders to distribute their wealth with. They have a few select individuals who made a shitload off of selling to malls and what not, and now they try to save face with this stupid marketing they have all gotten stuck in your fucking heads about “being skater owned bro”, shit is fucking crazy how brainwashed y’all fucks are. Like at the end of the day it’s human nature to want to achieve success you never dreamed of if that opportunity suddenly presents itself right to your face to provide for your kids and their kids kids, it’s just basic evolution, so it’s not like I slight say Don or Pierre in the case of Sole Tech but y’all really have been fucking brainwashed. Do you all understand the concept of Triage? Like dealing with the most pertinent problems essentially that will cause the most death to skateboarding there is? You know what that is? It’s shops fucking closing, plain and fucking simple. Other then California, and very few states west of Kansas that have an insane number of skateparks and shops, most places in the United States have one or two tiny-medium dope shops in the entire fucking state, and those guys closing there doors is so much more detrimental to skateboarding then big corporate brands controlling it. At the end of the day skate shops are like the heart of the human body, and the shoe brands are like the legs. Even if the big skate shoe brands sucked USA dry and paralyzed us, skateboarding would go on because our heart is still beating, but the second you kill shops, you decimate fucking skate scenes, and there is nothing more detrimental to skateboarding then shops closing, and Nike and Adidas are the sole reason 40-50% of shops in America can stay in business. Shit sucks but if you gotta have a pacemaker, you gotta have a pacemaker.

Right. Adio literally went bankrupt trying to survive as a "mainstream" brand after their little viva la bam wave washed out, DC and Etnies pretty much told skate shops to "fuck off" when they pulled all their cheaper shoes to  concentrate those models into retail stores, IPath sold themselves to Timberland the first chance they got, and so on. Skater owned brands taking their focus off skateboarding was what started this whole downward spiral.  Oh and who got bigger than skateboarding before anybody.....Vans.

Adidas and Nike entering a market as small as skateboarding is way less greedy than our brands not being satisfied with "just being skate brands". So now like you said, we're left with core shops being dependent on the sale of non core brands to exist. Most younger kids getting into skateboarding don't have the slightest idea that  Etnies or DC were ever "cool" and that's because Etnies and DC didn't care about skateboarding for awhile. Like Nike and Adidas had nothing to do with that.

Etnies has a good vegan line and Lakai has been steppin' it up too so those are the brands I skate. Plus I'm old enough at 30 to still feel connected to the idea of skateboarding having it's "own brands'. That underground vibe was an awesome feeling when I first started skateboarding as it was for a lot of us, but shit is different now. Skateboarding is literally an olympic sport.  We've already lost most what we used to love about skateboarding, shops are all we have left, and if it's Nike and Adidas that sustain them, well then so be it.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image

it's kinda the other way around

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
We've already lost most what we used to love about skateboarding, shops are all we have left, and if it's Nike and Adidas that sustain them, well then so be it.

That was an otherwise excellent post, but I kind of naively disagree with this bit. I don't believe in 'things we used to love about skateboarding' because obviously the act of skateboarding for personal reasons in whatever way one feels like is still there and won't go away, regardless of the flavor of the month that type of fundamental freedom is timeless. People everywhere in the world still skate out of love and create amazing productions (video, merch etc.) out of that same love, which is the type of productions-made-products skateshops originally used to carry or at least, were ideally meant to support back when most didn't have to turn into shoe stores. Independent productions are still going strong and the Internet makes that prevalent every day if one knows where to look.

I'll reiterate but one thing I have against those big corps in skating is their aggressive marketing, they've been monopolizing entire stores and media outlets (to the point where every article is intended to double up as ad space, when there is always so much independent stuff coming out that should be considered) by forcing them into a mainstream race and that's been at the expense of the other, less profitable, yet more organic productions the shops could have been carrying, and the media could have been covering. Essentially they successfully eliminated most of the grassroots competition (which had indeed set up everything just right for them to do just that, like you were saying) only to make themselves the major, when not sole source of income for those enterprises, nowadays they're pretty much cupping their balls with every interaction, barely disguising that they might or might not stop giving a shit soon; in the meantime magazines are filled with commercial articles, the kids' heads are filled with logos and bullshit stories on how it's actually this brand or that brand that singlehandedly defined skateboarding first (... the jokes), the shops are filled with product they don't want and can't sell. Fuck, even videos are filled with dudes skating in shoes most of them would probably never go out of their way to purchase if they weren't showered in free pairs. That's actually just slowly burning the cred and interest of those publications and shops because no one likes being subjected to blatant advertising; too many swooshes and side stripes in a magazine not just in ad space but also in the contents to the point where it feels forced (hint: it's been for a decade) and the magazine loses their readership, too many of them in a shop and it jeopardizes the future of the shop (because then what, the companies will either pull the plug eventually, or offer to buy your store?). And those companies won't care about their demise because they'll have moved onto the next three skater-ran enterprises to leech on then fuck over by then already.

Options have been eliminated and skater-ran enterprises (unless they choose to remain focused on the underground and smaller distros) now have a very limited source of companies to do business with and even then the pressure is always on that it's barely a temporary safety net. It's short-term safety after short-term safety with complete disregard of the actual culture of skateboarding (e.g.. how it's actually practiced by skaters throughout the world to this day and not just in a fantasy world where pick-a-company reigns supreme) as well as its activists. But a lot of people are so used to getting fucked, it's almost like they no longer even feel it, let alone consider alternative options to maybe keep skating more than just a business and avoid getting fucked.

Skaters have always been into shooting themselves in the foot anyway. First the skater-owned brands feeling so complacent they thought they could fuck skaters over (not so fond memories of that two-year-long phase during which the glue on éS shoes wouldn't even hold up for a session, or all the switches in factories in the mid 00's etc.), then (for some) choosing not to give a shit about the consequences of buying Janoski's only to come back crying when the first handful of skate brands started to tank, then by settling for the easy route and trusting outside corporations to fund everything (in metropolitan areas...) for them. And now the industry is pretty much hanging on by a hair to just a few of those guys' balls who might or might not scratch the itch as soon as it starts feeling uncomfortable, and in the meantime everyone's panicking to stay afloat and aligning themselves with the most sterile shit, leaving no room to anything else, hoping not to be the first ones to get cut. The reoccurring problem every time? Short-term thinking.

Well that's too long of a bitter post already...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 03:55:09 AM by silhouette »

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
Just here to say NB just rose in stock, again....
Gentleman ninja warlock

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
Adi is short for Adolf - Adolfdaz sk8 team. Cornball jock Hitler shoes, fuck that shit.