Author Topic: Seen It On #SkateTwitter: “Adidas Skateboarding Chopped Their Entire Sales Team”  (Read 12318 times)

links, pics, and quotes

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/author/andrew-murrell/

https://www.vice.com/en_us/contributor/andrew-murrell

;)

Looks like it’s all real.
https://shop-eat-surf.com/2020/02/job-cuts-come-to-adidas/

Adidas, which has made a major push in the skate market in the past several years, is now going through job cuts.

We followed up with Adidas officials at the U.S. headquarters in Portland, Oregon, after hearing about possible changes in the sales force, in marketing, and also about athlete changes in the snowboarding program.

It sounds like Adidas is cutting jobs in some areas and adding in others, with a focus on key strategic initiatives such as digital.

While she did not get into specifics about what kinds of jobs are being cut, an Adidas spokeswoman sent us the following statement:

“We are continuously working as a company to become even better, faster and more efficient. This also means that we adapt our organizational structures and processes when and where necessary. We are making targeted investments in our strategic growth drivers, especially in our digital business, where we are looking for new talents. All in all, the number of employees at Adidas is slightly increasing. We expect this trend to continue. As of September 30, 2019, Adidas employed a total of 57,493 employees (globally).

The restructuring appears to be happening around the world. Adidas employees in Italy staged a protest in front of an Adidas store in December because of planned job cuts in Europe, according to Footwear News.

Adidas told Footwear News at the time that the retail market continues to shift, with consumers increasingly shopping online, and that has prompted the brand’s structural changes. Examples cited were “increasing the use of digital tools for our wholesale partners and investing in our own e-commerce channels,” the statement said.

In the skate world, the big concern is that Adidas may be cutting back its investment in Adidas Skate. The company has replaced Nike SB as the big spender in the sector and has invested in many robust marketing programs at a time when endemic skate companies do not have big marketing budgets.

While we don’t know what level of investment Adidas will make in skateboarding in the future, SES asked Adidas specifically if the Adidas Skate and Snowboarding programs will exist going forward.

The spokeswoman confirmed the Skate and Snowboarding programs will continue to be part of the Adidas brand.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:09:34 AM by links, pics, and quotes »

cuckflip

It wouldn’t surprise me at all (if it’s even true). I would bet management figures they can cut everyone that laid the road for them to get into shops and whatever else and give it to like 1 person to manage.

Also good god #skatetwitter is arguably more regular than slap, and caring about someone posting it to slap is person squared!

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
Andrew Murrell is LPQ, confirmed
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

dooley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
Uh-oh, Spaghetti-Os!

LPQ, it also appears you have a fan.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Just goes to show that all of the corpo skate programs are loss leaders that don’t net the parent company any money but fuck the core brands by diluting their share.

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
Andrew Murrell is LPQ, confirmed

LPQ if I had to make an educated guess is someone associated with Ryan Lay’s podcast.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

links, pics, and quotes

Uh-oh, Spaghetti-Os!

LPQ, it also appears you have a fans.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
for anyone else confused why don brown is mentioned in a thread about adidas; https://shop-eat-surf.com/2013/05/2008-12-a-report-from-etnies-party-for-adidas-employees-in-portland/

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

dooley

• SLAP Pal

Monkey_Mcpott

That "fuck of" was a nice touch.

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
Is anyone actually surprised that a company founded on Nazi money isn't 'keeping it real'? Business 101 - infiltrate the industry, gain legitimacy through hiring insiders, stomp the competition out, then fire everyone besides the execs and child laborers.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
Those fucking AdiNazis fled with all the gold. Thank fuck I never bought a pair.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2150
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Again with the goods!
LPQ, May I say that YOU are an asset & a treasure.
Keep up the good work, Sleutherton.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
Is anyone actually surprised that a company founded on Nazi money isn't 'keeping it real'? Business 101 - infiltrate the industry, gain legitimacy through hiring insiders, stomp the competition out, then fire everyone besides the execs and child laborers.

I love when I read dumb ass shit on SLAP. adidassler was founded years prior to the NAZI party and after the war split into PUMA and Adidas. It was founded by two brothers that became a part of the NAZI party, but to say it was “funded” by Nazi money is laughable. Everyone in Germany then that wasn’t a Jew was a NAZI and adhered to the NAZI doctrine or else it was death. Shit is laughable trying to discredit them like that. This is not fucking VW by any means. Also y’all realize information was so fucking compartmentalized back then because all you heard were a few prominent voices on the radio. There was no television or internet or phones or anything that allowed mass communication. People in America didn’t even know that fucking FDR was paralyzed. Even Judging these people by your standards is silly. Information was so compartmentalized and no one had any clue what was going on. Go read Mandela’s thoughts on apartheid(which modeled themselves as the NAZI party with even more compartmentalization). Y’all with modern age thinking I swear. I could write a fucking essay to this, but fucking hell.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718

Needs some Blitz krieg, in there, somewhere.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
The only shoes I ever notice people wearing is Vans and NB. Then again, I don't really look at peoples shoes.

anon

• Rep: 53
The only shoes I ever notice people wearing is Vans and NB. Then again, I don't really look at peoples shoes.
are you canadian?

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
Expand Quote
[close]
are you canadian?
Nah, I just live in the middle of nowhere. Moving close to the city in a week though. Just found out today my landlord is going to let me out of my lease early. So I will be sure to report what shoes I see at that time!

Also, this guy is tweeting about this and then gets mad it's on the internet? Fuck of!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 06:51:26 PM by 50mm »

doublesteveburger

Hey Skatan, any insight on this?

dooley

• SLAP Pal
I could write a fucking essay to this, but fucking hell.
You already did. Just don't write anything else at all.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359

I don't understand why he'd say this after posting what he wrote on a public social media platform with multiple people responding to him. It's not like no one is paying attention. In fact, the point of social media is that people pay attention to you.

If you write something on social media, people will notice and they're free to discuss what they read. Isn't this obvious?

Anyway, you're much appreciated LPQ.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Lakai (and core skate shoe brands in general) gang rise up

globe fusion

• Rep: 3
in canada we havent had an adidas rep in more or less 2 years. i dont think our rep lost his job, just isn't the rep for adidas sb.

they did send out an email last fall to visit their showroom to view samples with the guide of some of their employees. not too sure how that worked out

not the best to deal with

Nicki

Expand Quote

[close]

I don't understand why he'd say this after posting what he wrote on a public social media platform with multiple people responding to him. It's not like no one is paying attention. In fact, the point of social media is that people pay attention to you.

If you write something on social media, people will notice and they're free to discuss what they read. Isn't this obvious?

Anyway, you're much appreciated LPQ.

Agree 100% and thank you LPQ.

Adidas does seem to have gone off course in recent years from skatifying retro models (like NB also does) to going all in with TJ and Nak, who aren’t the most productive or likeable (if their twitter is anything to go by). I think after last Puig model was when it all kinda changed direction; I back SJ but has the city cup, 3st, TJ model etc sold well? Maybe it has, but it doesn’t seem so. They’ve still got adiease, Seely, Busenitz etc but the lineup seem all over the place. And what’s with pulling down all those vids? Nike, NB etc etc no else is doing that. Weird. Something definitely stinks. Good work LPQ!!

rukes

• Rep: 211
  • Yabba dabba doo
Maybe they dont need a dedicated skate sales team? The sales team for adidas would be large enough to cover it.

Might just be trimming some dead wood. As long as they are still paying the skaters well and looking after them so they can wow us wolith amazing tricks, then thats what matters yeah?
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I learned this from my local tennis store owner. Adidas wants shop owners on the East Coast to visit their showroom in Brooklyn. Coupled with the $10,000 minimums per season, this makes it easier for the brand to minimize losses and cater only to serious clientele. That could be why there are no reps.

As for the Gustav video, it’s been taken down due to issues with copyright for one of the songs.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
Domination of the skate market is still pennies compared to soccer money. Of course they dont give a fuck.

Garth Marenghi

Maybe they dont need a dedicated skate sales team? The sales team for adidas would be large enough to cover it.

Might just be trimming some dead wood. As long as they are still paying the skaters well and looking after them so they can wow us wolith amazing tricks, then thats what matters yeah?

While paying the skaters well and looking after them is great, it shouldn't come at the expense of shops that are out there selling and promoting their products. Case in point:

in canada we havent had an adidas rep in more or less 2 years. i dont think our rep lost his job, just isn't the rep for adidas sb.

they did send out an email last fall to visit their showroom to view samples with the guide of some of their employees. not too sure how that worked out

not the best to deal with

Nicki

Yeah, maybe - but it’d be nice if they could keep the videos up though to showcase their riders work.
I guess it’s modern times, why pay a sales/marketing team when you’ve got 500 new promoters you can pay with product.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8sV0sJnz4P/?igshid=1rhg25xe0ojem