Author Topic: 9-Year-Old Trae ”The Tank” Montgomery Ollies A 20. But What's Up With His Dad?  (Read 108633 times)

Watitdo

Yeah, you take things too literally so there's not much point in discussing this with you. If you think Cardiel and Boulala are "still skating", then you truly don't understand what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue. What I and other posters are saying is this particular kid lands in a fucked up way and is probably in for some long term pain - do you disagree?

Yeah man I consider Doggface208 a legit skater and legit skating...So Cards and Boulala are too, so is anyone who is riding a skateboard and if you think I'm a loser who deserves hatred and bullying for my opinion then so be it.

It's common sense the older you get the longer your recovery time is. Anyways you guys got me fucked up blaming me about being specific when this whole thread is hella specific...should 9 year old tre WAIT til he's older to go big, or is it ok to do it NOW? That's the question. I'm not feeling tre's steeze so I'm being general in responding that all groms going big is not as dangerous as you think comparing to waiting til they're older. Right? Isn't that the argument? Is there a better age to go big? All I'm saying is that groms in general, across the world, fuck orange county, going big is no way as lethal with life long handicaps as slap makes it out to be.

I would not doubt in my mind the opposite of what I'm saying which sadly would be a horror story. Like a 6 year old ollieing a 10 stair, slips and their knee bone breaks through their skin and the bone shoots through the knee pads with blood everywhere and they have to get their leg amputated at the knee.

Watitdo

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yup clowns I know many that have blown out their knees and torn ACL, MCL, twice on both knees, rehabilitated and are ripping now.

You are claiming that 5-12 year olds jumping down 10 stairs will end up in a wheelchair and claiming that's child abuse are fucking major kooks.

Also claiming that today's pros didn't hit big gaps when they were pre-teens and need assistance walking is major bullshit. There is not one pro in the history of pro skating walking with a cane because of a pre-teen stair set or gap injury. That would mean they went through their whole pro career using a fucking cane and could say it came from this specific session when I was 7 ollieing a 10 stair lmao.

Ask a medical expert about pre-teens and their bones, unless you are scared to.
[close]

Are you 15? Lol.

I'm telling you straight up my friend, I know former pros and many other skaters who can't skate anymore because they focussed on doing big shit when they were younger. You seem to be really hung up on the age when injuries happen, while I'm talking about the long term effects of this type of skating in general. Trae seems to be into huge drops. If he continues on that path for much longer, he will be feeling it for the rest of his life, trust me. I barely fucked with gaps and rails and at 43 my body is a painful wreck, but I can still skate because I kept it more low impact most of the time.

But yeah - hit us with links to these rippers who blew both knees twice and are still ripping on the same level. Love to see it. That's inspiring. Something tells me you made that up though.
[close]

Damn dude you're a headache...You are acknowledging I'm specifically talking about a certain age range when you're being general about big gap skating. There is no need to argue when talking about two different things, and you know we are?!? Jeeze.

I'm having a brain fart on pros/ams who came back from knee surgery.  I also can't think of anyone personally that absolutely can't skateboard after years of skating and injuries. Which I'm completely fine with your experience in life with "who you know" is different than mine lol.
[close]

I knew you made that shit up.  ;D
[close]

Mike York!! Remember Hot Chocolate tour? His knee brace? He's not in a wheelchair. He's probably out skating right now. I'll try and think of more pros...not naming personal friends that's too easy. I like the puzzle/brain challenge of trying to remember.

There's got to be more recoveries than that, but I'm not sure. Eldy, Kelly, and Crob had injuries and have dropped new clips since their injuries. Kelly was out for a while then fakie tre flipped up the stage to fakie manual. I wonder if Andrew Reynolds or Jeremy Wray hit big gaps in their pre-teens, or went through any knee injuries? Same with Alphonzo Rawls. Probably not? Because their careers would have been cut way short (sarc.). Maybe it's in their Epicly Later'd. That's a trip Diego the Butcher just had that shared part drop a year or two ago, and he's still got it after years of skating big shit. But maybe these recent years are the first time in life when 8 year olds hit big gaps (sarc.)?

Damn just remembered Cale Nuske...hella knee problems. Not in a wheelchair:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFCRbKfl-YJ/?igshid=1aq28n4ese76x

Also pretty sure Arto fucked up his knee on that nollie bail in Really Sorry and came back for Mindfield. Arto is not in a wheelchair today. Actually didn't Arto start late in skateboarding? Maybe that wasn't good for his knee in the long run. Maybe if you start younger you'll have more stamina. Speaking of Flip, in a jenkem interview Rowley admits to having knee surgery on both knees and he's not in a wheelchair, but I have a feeling he hucked as a grom? Hmmmm I wonder... Might binge on some Epicly Later'd in November if they're still on youtube.

https://youtu.be/e-QRGpEwxUE
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0ZM1dQnBuj/?igshid=14iffois8tirv
[close]

So yeah, the 'I know multiple people who have blown both knees twice and still rip' was made up, glad that's been cleared up.

And just to be clear on my end of things - I'm not even saying that someone who blew both knees twice won't be able to keep skating. I'm just saying blowing your knees in the first place is not a good thing, and no matter if you keep skating or not, arthritis is real and the majority of skaters who tear MCL's and ACL's end up cutting down on skating because of it.

I was not the one saying people are going to be in a wheelchair the rest of their life, and I believe the posters who said that weren't being literal. It's a way of saying 'I think this kid who loves big gaps and doesn't seem to take the landings well might be in rough shape later in life'. Everyone is different. I know plenty of people who had serious injuries like blown knees who still skate amazing. No one is saying you can't skate if you tear your knee or suffer some other serious injury. We're showing concern for a little dude who is taking a heavy gamble for his age/skill level - many posters are concerned about the part the dad plays (I'm trying not to focus on that too much since I don't know them) - and many of us are giving feedback from years and years of experience in skateboarding on what the long term effects of heavy impact skating/serious injuries are. Maybe you've been really lucky and haven't had any serious injuries yourself, or you're still so
young that you haven't started to feel the long term pain yet - but trust us, it's real.

I also never said he should stop doing what he's doing. Simply making observations on his technique and discussing injuries.

Edit: Were you around when Cale Nuske was in his prime? You remember seeing him skate any rails and gaps since? Kinda proving our point by showing clips of a guy who used to primarily hit rails and gaps, and isn't very old, and now he skates very low impact. His career ended when he got hurt. If that's not proving our point I don't know what is. If the injury was no big deal, why did his career end? You also used Arto as an example - well guess what? The main reason you stopped seeing coverage from him was... dun dun dun, INJURY. He transitioned into focussing more on photography because he couldn't skate like he used too. You gotta be young or something, really, Watido.
[close]

You can win the argument if it means that much to you, but you literally said:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yup .
[close]

Are you 15? Lol.

I'm telling you straight up my friend, I know former pros and many other skaterswho can't skate anymore because they focussed on doing big shit when they were younger.
[close]

I'm replying to your statement of "CANT SKATE ANYMORE." Now you're saying they can't skate the way they used to? LMAO...no kidding? No one can do anything like they used to, people get old. You said "can't skate anymore," and I disagree and gave examples of people skating. What the fuck you keep gaslighting me over what skaters I know, hella dumb.

Even Cardiel got an ad of a front 5-0 and Boulala got on a board at the end of his Vice interview, so whatever, you're wrong. People can still skate, there's growing evidence you can skate well into your 40's, 50's, and 60's.

Edit: Also this is a 20+ page thread giving medical advice based on style which is insanely stupid. If it wasn't such a dorky kid with a toxic father you guys would be like he's going to have the best career! LOL
[close]

i ve had 9 knee surgeries in total all on the same knee...2 real big ones 3 big ones and the rest cleanups and the like... but i ve been without acl and mcl for almost a decade... first blew it out in 95 when i was 17...

i m still skating and learning new tricks though- i also gotta say people especially doctors want to put it in your mind that you can t skate anymore... my experience is that the body adapts to anything if you put it in the situation and invest the time

That's tight, great story. I don't know why this guy thinks people don't recover lol, pretty funny.

Glurmpz

Expand Quote
Yeah, you take things too literally so there's not much point in discussing this with you. If you think Cardiel and Boulala are "still skating", then you truly don't understand what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue. What I and other posters are saying is this particular kid lands in a fucked up way and is probably in for some long term pain - do you disagree?
[close]

Yeah man I consider Doggface208 a legit skater and legit skating...So Cards and Boulala are too, so is anyone who is riding a skateboard and if you think I'm a loser who deserves hatred and bullying for my opinion then so be it.

It's common sense the older you get the longer your recovery time is. Anyways you guys got me fucked up blaming me about being specific when this whole thread is hella specific...should 9 year old tre WAIT til he's older to go big, or is it ok to do it NOW? That's the question. I'm not feeling tre's steeze so I'm being general in responding that all groms going big is not as dangerous as you think comparing to waiting til they're older. Right? Isn't that the argument? Is there a better age to go big? All I'm saying is that groms in general, across the world, fuck orange county, going big is no way as lethal with life long handicaps as slap makes it out to be.

All good. My point was not about going big young vs old, my point was about the long term effects of high impact skating at any age, and with Trae specifically, I’m talking about his technique which does not appear to be the proper way to take impact. Not trying to hate on you or bully you, c’mon.
I have a little thread going on a different platform regarding this query and there’s a lot of guys regretting the high impact stuff because they’re hurting now. Sheldon Meleshinski was one of the more notable guys who said his career was cut short by a knee injury, but I already knew that. Same with Hastie, and lots of others. Both of those guys can still do low impact skating but their careers ended due to injury, specifically. Lots of friends chiming in saying they regret the high impact stuff. I know at least two guys off the top of my head who would have been big if knee injuries hadn’t cut their chances short - Ben Demoskoff and Dave Miskowicz.  Remember Josh Kasper? Injury ended his ability to keep skating at a pro level. 
I guess we’re just talking about different things. I’m not the guy claiming people are going to be in wheelchairs. I’m just agreeing with those who are saying this kid might be taking more risk than necessary by doing basic shit down giant gaps that have had much harder stuff done them already, you know? Like, why risk a major injury that could change your life to do other people’s warm up tricks on blown out spots? And for the long term, there’s a good chance he won’t have a long career if he keeps hucking, and he may end up with life long pain from it.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 02:15:07 PM by Glurmpz »

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Expand Quote
[close]

I would not doubt in my mind the opposite of what I'm saying which sadly would be a horror story. Like a 6 year old ollieing a 10 stair, slips and their knee bone breaks through their skin and the bone shoots through the knee pads with blood everywhere and they have to get their leg amputated at the knee.

Wasn’t he on a longboard?

Watitdo

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

All good. My point was not about going big young vs old, my point was about the long term effects of high impact skating at any age, and with Trae specifically, I’m talking about his technique which does not appear to be the proper way to take impact. Not trying to hate on you or bully you, c’mon.
I have a little thread going on a different platform regarding this query and there’s a lot of guys regretting the high impact stuff because they’re hurting now. Sheldon Meleshinski was one of the more notable guys who said his career was cut short by a knee injury, but I already knew that. Same with Hastie, and lots of others. Both of those guys can still do low impact skating but their careers ended due to injury, specifically. Lots of friends chiming in saying they regret the high impact stuff. I know at least two guys off the top of my head who would have been big if knee injuries hadn’t cut their chances short - Ben Demoskoff and Dave Miskowicz.  Remember Josh Kasper? Injury ended his ability to keep skating at a pro level. 
I guess we’re just talking about different things. I’m not the guy claiming people are going to be in wheelchairs. I’m just agreeing with those who are saying this kid might be taking more risk than necessary by doing basic shit down giant gaps that have had much harder stuff done them already, you know? Like, why risk a major injury that could change your life to do other people’s warm up tricks on blown out spots? And for the long term, there’s a good chance he won’t have a long career if he keeps hucking, and he may end up with life long pain from it.

Cool man you're way more invested in this than me. So what do you guys conclude about Reynolds and others skating high impact at 40? Just an exception? You think Nyjah will slow down in a year or two, or has another 10?

I'm curious on a timeline of legend's high impact skating in their lifetime vs pros who's careers were cut short. Did the legends start skating high impact earlier, later, or at the same time? What made the legends have a longer life span of skating high impact than those who were cut short?

There could be a direct correlation to age, and it could be a better idea to start hucking at a younger age, obviously you gotta land your shit to progress. Or maybe not... maybe if you huck at 8 you're dust at 18...or maybe that's not true at all because we have all these veterans today skating high impact and they started at....I'm curious what age today's veteran high impact skaters started hucking at. If they all started going big around 14, I'd still find that interesting too. But maybe Heath started hitting big shit at 8...pretty sure it's in his Epicly Later'd.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
didnt sheckler benihana over a fuckin ladder in a 411 or something?

Glurmpz

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Cool man you're way more invested in this than me. So what do you guys conclude about Reynolds and others skating high impact at 40? Just an exception? You think Nyjah will slow down in a year or two, or has another 10?

I'm curious on a timeline of legend's high impact skating in their lifetime vs pros who's careers were cut short. Did the legends start skating high impact earlier, later, or at the same time? What made the legends have a longer life span of skating high impact than those who were cut short?

First bolded part - Reynolds doesn’t skate high impact anymore, and also has not had a major injury that I’m aware of. So yes, somewhat of an exception. Hell, plenty of pros have commented on his unique ability to push his high impact skating longer than lots of others. Reynolds pretty much scaled it back after Stay Gold, which was 10 years ago. What pros who are 40 are skating high impact? Not saying they don’t exist, must be one or two... so let me know who you’re referring to.

Second part - every person is different. I’d say the people who escaped serious injury are obviously doing better than those who got broke off. Motivation plays a role too. Some guys are just down to skate through pain and keep risking it when others may take a serious injury as a sign to mellow out.  Some people straight up quit after a serious injury. It takes a lot of patience, strength and commitment to keep skating at the same level after a serious injury. That’s why it’s far more common for people to keep their skating mellow after one. The risk of re-injuring is high.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
You crazy bastards are arguing over whether Andrew Reynolds or Geoff Rowley have sore knees when the real issue is this kid is being forced to huck.

Many first hand accounts and sus behavior on instagram suggest that he doesn't have the option to call it when he no longer feels comfortable trying a big gap. I'm thinkin the real root of the problem is that his injuries are the result of child abuse, not wanting to land big tricks...

He's gonna be hurt though, even if he was out there throwing himself down gaps while his dad begged him to stop. Anybody arguing that "your body will adapt" to repeatedly slamming it into concrete after jumping down a 20 stair should go out there and try it themselves.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:30:42 PM by Urtripping »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

First bolded part - Reynolds doesn’t skate high impact anymore, and also has not had a major injury that I’m aware of. So yes, somewhat of an exception. Hell, plenty of pros have commented on his unique ability to push his high impact skating longer than lots of others. Reynolds pretty much scaled it back after Stay Gold, which was 10 years ago. What pros who are 40 are skating high impact? Not saying they don’t exist, must be one or two... so let me know who you’re referring to.

Second part - every person is different. I’d say the people who escaped serious injury are obviously doing better than those who got broke off. Motivation plays a role too. Some guys are just down to skate through pain and keep risking it when others may take a serious injury as a sign to mellow out.  Some people straight up quit after a serious injury. It takes a lot of patience, strength and commitment to keep skating at the same level after a serious injury. That’s why it’s far more common for people to keep their skating mellow after one. The risk of re-injuring is high.

This. One mcl strain that put me out for a month or so was enough for me to realize that if I can't ollie up it, I'm not gonna ollie down it. The difference was my psycho dad wasn't there calling me a pussy and screaming at me to try it again.

And it was only 7 stairs, not 20  ;D
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Glurmpz

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This. One mcl strain that put me out for a month or so was enough for me to realize that if I can't ollie up it, I'm not gonna ollie down it. The difference was my psycho dad wasn't there calling me a pussy and screaming at me to try it again.

And it was only 7 stairs, not 20  ;D

I don’t doubt it. I have a friend who fucked his ankle up good and that was it for him. Done. Actually, I have more than one friend who did that but he just reminded me.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 07:27:57 PM by Glurmpz »

figureitout

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Yup clowns I know many that have blown out their knees and torn ACL, MCL, twice on both knees, rehabilitated and are ripping now.

You are claiming that 5-12 year olds jumping down 10 stairs will end up in a wheelchair and claiming that's child abuse are fucking major kooks.

Also claiming that today's pros didn't hit big gaps when they were pre-teens and need assistance walking is major bullshit. There is not one pro in the history of pro skating walking with a cane because of a pre-teen stair set or gap injury. That would mean they went through their whole pro career using a fucking cane and could say it came from this specific session when I was 7 ollieing a 10 stair lmao.

Ask a medical expert about pre-teens and their bones, unless you are scared to.
[close]

Are you 15? Lol.

I'm telling you straight up my friend, I know former pros and many other skaters who can't skate anymore because they focussed on doing big shit when they were younger. You seem to be really hung up on the age when injuries happen, while I'm talking about the long term effects of this type of skating in general. Trae seems to be into huge drops. If he continues on that path for much longer, he will be feeling it for the rest of his life, trust me. I barely fucked with gaps and rails and at 43 my body is a painful wreck, but I can still skate because I kept it more low impact most of the time.

But yeah - hit us with links to these rippers who blew both knees twice and are still ripping on the same level. Love to see it. That's inspiring. Something tells me you made that up though.
[close]

Damn dude you're a headache...You are acknowledging I'm specifically talking about a certain age range when you're being general about big gap skating. There is no need to argue when talking about two different things, and you know we are?!? Jeeze.

It is cringy as fuck to watch a 6 year old scorpion down a 15 stair, so I reached out to someone in children medicine. Once I learned it's not as big of a deal as slap makes it out to be, it's no big deal to watch the footy now, for me. I've got little huckers in my area so I was definitely curious instead of jumping to the conclusion without any medical advice.

I also don't argue pounding my chest like you weirdos. So if you want to debate and not argue like a jock asshole, present some medical info on children skating high impact terrain. I'm told if they break a growth plate there will be problems, otherwise it's better at that age than when you're older. But if there's medical advice to wait to hit massive shit til you're x years old because of your bones then I'm interested. If it's just they gotta wait til they're more well rounded skaters then this debate is corny as fuck lol. I'm not scouting any fucking 9 year olds lmao.

As for the thread, I'm not that interested in Trae's skating compared to the rest of y'all. But I guess I would like people to understand in general groms hitting big gaps or ramps is no big deal other than amazing how young they are.

I'm having a brain fart on pros/ams who came back from knee surgery. That would be a good thread. I also can't think of anyone personally that absolutely can't skateboard after years of skating and injuries. Which I'm completely fine with your experience in life with "who you know" is different than mine lol.

Austyn had the double knee Surgery at the same time. DD as we know has had 6 total.

Trae's dad is the worst

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
Eh I wouldn't write Reynolds off just yet. He fs flips what looks to be around an 8 stair in the new BAKERVCA clip. Maybe not hitting 17s these days but still enough to mess you up
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
googled Trae the tank and predictive text fills me in

Oh wow
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh wow
Doesn’t surprise me

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh wow
[close]
Doesn’t surprise me

wish it meant more but the only relevant result is this very thread. those autofills are personalized from one’s user data.

fuck you trae’s dad you probably have notifications on for this thread. your kid is gonna hate yooouuu
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
Arguing about his the long term health of his fucking knees is some serious missing the forest for the trees. We are talking about a ten year old whose father apparently forces him to huck his little ass down giant sets of stairs and gaps in order to transform his small child into a skateboarding superstar from whom he can presumably profit
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
When they delete the best YouTube channel you’ll watch anything.
Stick around for the part where the dad gets pissed at Trae for falling. Jock shit. What were you even trying?! Time to ice that thing, now!
https://youtu.be/rnD_xcArIE4

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
Stick around for the part where the dad gets pissed at Trae for falling. Jock shit. What were you even trying?! Time to ice that thing, now!

you wanna give us a timestamp? No way im skimming thru 30 minutes of rad dads commentating over their groms skating

Punished Skateboards

Expand Quote
[close]

you wanna give us a timestamp? No way im skimming thru 30 minutes of rad dads commentating over their groms skating
My bad 26:15

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
My bad 26:15

Um.  That is not exactly what I’d use as exhibit A against his dad

Punished Skateboards

I wouldn’t either. I would like to know more about that stealing money shit.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
Yeah that was nothing compared to the shit ive seen at the parks with his kid, def way more aggressive than that

sketchyrider

i watched like 20 seconds of that stupid video and now its popping up in my youtube feed

Samson Simpson

• Rep: -8

EARN YOUR PIZZA!!!!

The actual fuck...

Punished Skateboards

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Oh wow
[close]
Doesn’t surprise me
[close]

wish it meant more but the only relevant result is this very thread. those autofills are personalized from one’s user data.

fuck you trae’s dad you probably have notifications on for this thread. your kid is gonna hate yooouuu
Also the first result/most viewed video you get on YouTube for Trae the Tank. The top comment is currently held by a Slap mod questioning the dad’s role.
https://youtu.be/cbC3heD3QBM

Wallienollie

• Rep: -2
He should should dutch oven his dad when he's asleep. That will teach him

I hope if he's not a vegetable by the time he grows up he avenges himself and takes him out

boi-cuzudo

100% abuse, it doesnt seem like this little kid really wants to skate what its skating in the videos, very sad

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
The sad thing is that whenever someone bumps this thread, I mentally prepare myself to read some god-awful news about this poor boy that could range from him suffering a devastating injury that makes him walk funny for the rest of his life to his overbearing father going full Paul Snider one day. I walk into this thread every time with zero optimism or faith in humanity.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
Goddamn this is so depressing. That poor kid.
I'd like to make some stencils and tee shirts that read: "dear coach dads - stay the fuck out of skateboarding".

JosephSmith

• Rep: 49
When I procreate, I want my my child to be the Manchurian candidate of skateboarding. I will have secret words to guide them to the truth of their accomplishments. I’m not sure if I should use Elvish or Orcish to communicate their secret directive.