Author Topic: Skate Nomenclature  (Read 5378 times)

Billy Bitchcakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
Re: Skate Nomenclature
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2020, 04:29:59 AM »
As far as nollie frontside/backside. I see it as how your shoulders turn in relation to the direction you are moving and not mimicking the forward motion of your regular stance.
I’ll give you fakie but i still see it as which way your shoulders are turning.
It’s whatever you were brought up saying is what you say. No right or wrong.

that's not how the world works. you can see it however you want but there's still a defined answer

Fakie 5-0 and switch nosegrind are the same trick.

c'mon bro
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2020, 07:12:00 AM »
Expand Quote
As far as nollie frontside/backside. I see it as how your shoulders turn in relation to the direction you are moving and not mimicking the forward motion of your regular stance.
[close]

that's not how the world works. you can see it however you want but there's still a defined answer

Expand Quote
[close]

c'mon bro

I wish I could switch nosegrind nearly as good as my fakie 5-0. Two totally different tricks.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 08:18:23 AM by Szechuan »

companguero

• Rep: 248
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2020, 02:00:00 PM »
You have to be honest and admit there are flaws in the nomenclature.   

A basic flatground Nollie and "switch fakie Ollie" are the exact same trick.

Chirality is fundamental in skateboarding because it reveals the importance of natural stances, Regular and Goofy.
I'd say just riding with control is the first "trick" you learn because feeling the Switch/Fakie stance is awkward when you try carving.

Since those names for stances come from surfing this also brings up the importance of the relationship between the rider and the environment.

"flatground" isn't a thing in surfing, you're either moving "forward" backside or frontside relative to the wave and recognizing why those are the terms should be obvious.

We can use transitions to carve frontside or backside but one deviation skating took from surfing was the ability to continue moving forward in a "Fakie" stance by ignoring the need to carve.

So here's where Switch and Fakie become misnomers

If you are moving "forward" in your unnatural stance are you going Switch or Fakie?

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2020, 02:14:59 PM »
If you are moving "forward" in your unnatural stance are you going Switch or Fakie?
Depends on foot placement - like in skate 3 you can travel switch or you can travel fakie depending on your joystick.

companguero

• Rep: 248
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2020, 03:16:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Depends on foot placement - like in skate 3 you can travel switch or you can travel fakie depending on your joystick.

Foot placement generally tells you where you're *popping* from.

I'm just asking plain rolling.

I'd guess "Fakie" predated "Switch" because it was defined as an outcome stance from early transition skating.

The "Tail" had a distinguished shape from the "Nose" so you'd approach the wall nose-leading and continue "forward" tail-leading.
I don't know if there were "switch" tricks back then but if so you'd probably have the nose shape leading and your stance was "switched".

The Cab is a big point of reference here and brings up multiple issues for debate.
He calls it a fakie 360 ollie but points out it's a vert trick and the roll-away in natural stance is significant.
On flat you roll-away fakie. You could argue for a different name since the roll-away is different.

... Then there's the backside/frontside debate

Again, those spins or approach to the lip must've had root in transition skating but I haven't thought about those as much.

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2020, 06:59:20 PM »
I hate the name fakie big spin. I call it that but only under protest. If you're rolling fakie and turning with your trick you know what the fuck going on.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

wrTcHDfKN4nTZ

• Rep: 3
  • Glue
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2020, 11:11:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I think the difference between rolling fakie or switch is dependent on your intention, so it does relate to  foot placement in that rolling switch would have the flicking foot on or just below the bolts and the popping foot on the bolts or close to the pocket and maybe with toes pointed more in the direction of movement, and also the posture of your stance, I think in switch you'd be more inclined to be facing the direction that you're skating or at least trying to force it more than fakie where its more just looking over your shoulder but definetely looking and feeling like it's backwards.
Dude just pop...

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2020, 02:18:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

c'mon bro
[close]

I wish I could switch nosegrind nearly as good as my fakie 5-0. Two totally different tricks.
Ok. I meant while grinding. If you 180 or more into it, same trick.
If you either switch ollie or fakie ollie straight into it, it’s two different tricks.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2020, 02:27:32 PM »
I hate the name fakie big spin. I call it that but only under protest. If you're rolling fakie and turning with your trick you know what the fuck going on.
Then call it My Dick, old heads will nod in approval

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2020, 02:53:29 PM »
switch is your unnatural stance/foot placement, moving forward.
i.e. different stance

fakie is your natural stance/foot placement, moving backwards.
i.e. fake usual stance

fakie nollie = switch ollie ?
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2020, 03:56:46 PM »
Nollie half cab is one of the only ones that annoy me and I’ve heard a lots of pros say it

yeah, feels like this one is here to stay. Still, anybody who gives a shit about knowing stuff should understand that the whole point of anything cab is fakie.

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2020, 04:30:57 PM »

No such thing as ‘switch fakie’ but thats not what you said. Not sure how accurate that guys statement is but it’s all subjective.

I say varial flip instead of ‘shuv-it flip’. I say caballarial instead of ‘fakie backside 360 ollie’. That may not be the proper nomenclature but that’s what i was raised on.

Stop taking skating so seriously.

You are confusing evolution of trick names that don't contradict themselves like shuv-it flip and varial flip with people just plain messing up tricks and putting both in the same category when they are completely different. 

It's only subjective for a couple tricks that have two names that are both correct. Every other trick is not subjective at all, you are wrong or you are right.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2020, 02:24:11 AM »
You guys are right, but saying "fakie ollie to switch nosegrind" isn't wrong and completely understandable.
I personally say fakie 5-0 but I already heard that.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2020, 04:30:29 AM »
You guys are right, but saying "fakie ollie to switch nosegrind" isn't wrong and completely understandable.
I think it's overstating the trick. Also, I can fakie 5-0 but i can't switch nosegrind. I imagine it's the same for most people, so i think it's fair to say it's a variation of a 5-0, not a variation of a switch nosegrind.
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

mclovin1336

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2020, 04:39:18 AM »
trying to make sense of a (mostly) arbitrary system is always fun, its like discussion on "whats the best food" or "whos cooler person a or person b". I actually like those random debates where there is no "real" answer.

that being said, i say fakie 5-0 and agree mostly with the mainstream of trick nomenclature (like no fs overkrooks, no nollie halfcab, one foot ollie, yada yada)

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2020, 05:17:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think it's overstating the trick. Also, I can fakie 5-0 but i can't switch nosegrind. I imagine it's the same for most people, so i think it's fair to say it's a variation of a 5-0, not a variation of a switch nosegrind.

Same here...
I was going to tell that I wish I could sw fs nosegrind revert, but I think this is a common mistake in naming trick we make here in France. How do you guys call nosegrind revert ? fs nosegrind nollie fs 180 ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2020, 05:50:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Same here...
I was going to tell that I wish I could sw fs nosegrind revert, but I think this is a common mistake in naming trick we make here in France. How do you guys call nosegrind revert ? fs nosegrind nollie fs 180 ?

brazilians also call 180's out of nosegrinds reverts, i've noticed.

if it's the intuitive direction (i.e. fs grind + fs spin) i'd just call it nosegrind to fakie. but what the fuuuuuck do i know?

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2020, 05:21:11 AM »
You have to be honest and admit there are flaws in the nomenclature.   

A basic flatground Nollie and "switch fakie Ollie" are the exact same trick.

Chirality is fundamental in skateboarding because it reveals the importance of natural stances, Regular and Goofy.
I'd say just riding with control is the first "trick" you learn because feeling the Switch/Fakie stance is awkward when you try carving.

Since those names for stances come from surfing this also brings up the importance of the relationship between the rider and the environment.

"flatground" isn't a thing in surfing, you're either moving "forward" backside or frontside relative to the wave and recognizing why those are the terms should be obvious.

We can use transitions to carve frontside or backside but one deviation skating took from surfing was the ability to continue moving forward in a "Fakie" stance by ignoring the need to carve.

So here's where Switch and Fakie become misnomers

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I'd guess "Fakie" predated "Switch" because it was defined as an outcome stance from early transition skating.

The "Tail" had a distinguished shape from the "Nose" so you'd approach the wall nose-leading and continue "forward" tail-leading.
I don't know if there were "switch" tricks back then but if so you'd probably have the nose shape leading and your stance was "switched".

The Cab is a big point of reference here and brings up multiple issues for debate.
He calls it a fakie 360 ollie but points out it's a vert trick and the roll-away in natural stance is significant.
On flat you roll-away fakie. You could argue for a different name since the roll-away is different.

... Then there's the backside/frontside debate

Again, those spins or approach to the lip must've had root in transition skating but I haven't thought about those as much.

This is some interesting stuff even though I'm not entirely sure I'm grasping what you're saying.

I was thinking about this stuff again the other day after my friend did this trick

Since it's a fakie grind, it would follow that he's still riding fakie when shoving out, but that would make it a fakie nollie frontside shove out, which seems ridiculous. On the other hand, standard naming convention would suggest that you can't go from fakie to switch in one trick, so fakie nosegrind to switch backside shove wouldn't work either. I'd go for that latter seeing as we have things like 180 to switch crooks rather than technically correct 180 to fakie suski grinds. But it's things like that where the rules for naming tricks fall apart a bit
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2020, 05:30:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

c'mon bro

Not really. Look at the world we live in

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2020, 05:53:22 AM »
Yeah I did think that as I was writing it