Author Topic: Useful information for College/University  (Read 1081 times)

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
Re: Useful information for College/University
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2022, 11:36:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just wanted to throw this out there for any young guns who are unsure about it:

Go to a trade school.There is a lot of work to be had and a lot of money to made.

Don’t feel pressured to go to college or get a degree because it is what’s expected of you.
[close]
yup. best friend is 26 is already making over six figures as an electrician. the main downside is your body though. don't think i could handle it. he already has chronic back pain at 26
[close]

That's why I didn't take up Solar and instead went to grad school... Back pain. Now that I'm well and healthy again I still might get into it part time.

Regarding longevity in the trades, I reckon its important to play your cards right by saving and making smart investments. Don't buy $80k trucks and take inclusive trips etc. Live like you're poor, pay 3x mortgage, buy a rental, and retire at 50.

100% listen to your body and don’t be a hero trying to push through pain to work.

I know a lot of people (myself included) felt a lot of pressure to go to college and pursue higherI education. But I couldn’t do it and I felt like a huge failure for it.

Going to trade school (with my GI bill) was one of the best decisions I ever made. Besides most places won’t ask for transcripts or a diploma. Once you’re older and established with a work history, you can just lie and say you have a degree.

But, I know a lot of people don’t have the GI Bill… There is such a massive shortage in skilled labor, so a lot of fields will put you through training, just to be able to employ you. Most of these jobs also have a sign on bonus, annual bonus, annual raises, and a comprehensive benefits package; in order to encourage retention.

Others benefits are the pride in being a true blue working class dude (also a huge flex), ladies love high vis, and the ability to join a union or organize a work place.

If anyone has any questions on wants recommendations for skilled labor, please PM me, I’ve got friends in different trades and have a lot of experience in this shit as well.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1392
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Useful information for College/University
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2022, 01:33:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just wanted to throw this out there for any young guns who are unsure about it:

Go to a trade school.There is a lot of work to be had and a lot of money to made.

Don’t feel pressured to go to college or get a degree because it is what’s expected of you.
[close]
yup. best friend is 26 is already making over six figures as an electrician. the main downside is your body though. don't think i could handle it. he already has chronic back pain at 26
[close]

That's why I didn't take up Solar and instead went to grad school... Back pain. Now that I'm well and healthy again I still might get into it part time.

Regarding longevity in the trades, I reckon its important to play your cards right by saving and making smart investments. Don't buy $80k trucks and take inclusive trips etc. Live like you're poor, pay 3x mortgage, buy a rental, and retire at 50.
[close]

100% listen to your body and don’t be a hero trying to push through pain to work.

I know a lot of people (myself included) felt a lot of pressure to go to college and pursue higherI education. But I couldn’t do it and I felt like a huge failure for it.

Going to trade school (with my GI bill) was one of the best decisions I ever made. Besides most places won’t ask for transcripts or a diploma. Once you’re older and established with a work history, you can just lie and say you have a degree.

But, I know a lot of people don’t have the GI Bill… There is such a massive shortage in skilled labor, so a lot of fields will put you through training, just to be able to employ you. Most of these jobs also have a sign on bonus, annual bonus, annual raises, and a comprehensive benefits package; in order to encourage retention.

Others benefits are the pride in being a true blue working class dude (also a huge flex), ladies love high vis, and the ability to join a union or organize a work place.

If anyone has any questions on wants recommendations for skilled labor, please PM me, I’ve got friends in different trades and have a lot of experience in this shit as well.

This old anarchist up this way who recently passed, Paul encimer, I heard him once say "I'm working to never go to work!" Hahaha 100% effort there. All jest aside, you're spot on. Any "hero" mentality at a job is a bad joke. Glad I never became a fisherman for that, and many other, reasons
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty