Author Topic: Whiskey Whisky  (Read 5410 times)

drewsmahgoos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: The Bourbon Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2020, 08:17:11 AM »
So far Angel’s Envy is by far my favorite. I want to find some similar whiskeys. It seems to be hard to find port or wine finished bourbon around me though.

Angels Envy has a caribbean cask that makes for some great cocktails if you're into mixing whiskey. I had on old fashioned with it in nyc and it made a great drink. Very sweet so you don't even need sugar when mixing it.

Some port/wine barrel whiskeys are great. The A'bunadh scotch I recommended in a previous post is in a sherry cask.

There is a bourbon called "Yellowstone bourbon." That is in a wine cask and a fucking great bourbon. Totally worth buying if you see it. Basil Hayden's has a port finish but IMO, it is not worth the money. Basil Haydens has never impressed me for the price.

I'm so glad this is a thread on here. I went through a viscous cocktail/liquor phase with my roommate. At one point we had over 40 bottles on our bar and around 8 bottles of liquor just stashed around our house because it seemed funny. Nothing under $30 other than vermouth(which we had 5 different kinds of). We used to trash a good bottle of scotch in a night. I had an 18 year glenfiddich that we finished the same day among many other $50+ bottles. It was a decadent time but one I have a hard time regretting.

I can talk liquor for days. Anyone need a recommendation for any type of liquor, I'm the guy. The only thing I can't really get into is grapa. I know fuck all about it and I don't like the taste.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2020, 07:39:57 AM »
Picked up a handle of 101 just to make sure I can ride out any potential lock downs without finishing off my other bottles  ;D at the rate I drink it will probably last a really long time though.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2020, 08:13:27 AM »
Situational update: brown liquors are sold out everywhere around me. I have maybe 2 1/2 bottles of bourbon on the shelf. All ready rationing!

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2020, 04:16:34 PM »
Just got a 750ml of Old Forrester 100 proof for under 25 bucks. Drinking it on ice now and it’s quality, especially for the price. I looked for a minute before spotting this value 100 proof bourbon at the store. I can’t be spending high dollar on Bourbon in these uncertain times.

Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2020, 02:30:08 PM »
Just grabbed a 750ml of Old Grand Dad Bonded 100 Proof.

Seriously good on 3 cubes. Very reasonably priced. Very light on the nose which is kinda weird but the taste is nice.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2020, 02:52:07 PM »
3 part vodka 1 part soy sauce

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2020, 08:59:17 AM »

Seriously good on 3 cubes. Very reasonably priced. Very light on the nose which is kinda weird but the taste is nice.

People sleep on old granddad but that and W.L Weller are two price point whiskeys that I'd take over a lot of $30+ bottles. Try Weller if you like old grandad and the price.

evanwilliamsnollieheel

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2020, 11:22:37 AM »
lets face it, the only good whiskey is non other than Evan Williams

Nom De Plume

• Rep: 1
  • Slow, Low, and Old
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2020, 11:42:24 AM »

:39 mark

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2020, 08:59:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

People sleep on old granddad but that and W.L Weller are two price point whiskeys that I'd take over a lot of $30+ bottles. Try Weller if you like old grandad and the price.

I would love to but although it is reasonably priced it is hard to find in my area.

Just picked up a Knob Creek 9 Year (100 proof) and it is so damn good. Still sticking with my good but cheap price point. Less sweet than any of the other ones I've tried lately. Love it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:21:19 PM by cricketclub »

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2020, 08:23:00 AM »
Picked up my first Rye.

This shit SLAPS!

masturskater

• Rep: 21
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2020, 11:28:17 AM »
Just here to parrot my love for Evan Williams. Black label and white label are the best bang for the buck IMO.

I have a tendency to start off with a cheap whiskey to get my taste buds acclimated. And Evan Williams White Label will now be my go to starter bourbon.

Shout out to my recent favorites Blantons, Bulleit, 1792 Full Proof, and Henry McKenna 10yr (sadly increasing in price).

No love for Scotch, Japanese or Irish whisky? Though I love bourbon, I think Scotch is my preferred whisky of choice.

Picked up my first Rye.

This shit SLAPS!

I'm still new to rye whiskeys myself. Only one I bought was Sazerac Rye, not the expensive one, but a limited release. Definitely worth checking out. At first I didn't like it, but I became accustomed to it rather quickly!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:56:40 AM by masturskater »

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2020, 03:12:44 PM »
Yeah I’m totally on rye now.

The regular knob creek rye 100 proof is good

Wild turkey 101 rye is fucking amazing, drinking it rn

Tried Rittenhouse and it was alright but didn’t have enough of an oily earthy taste to be for me.

Probably gonna just stick with this 101 wt rye fuck it’s good

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2020, 11:12:32 PM »
If you guys like rye, you should try the High West Double Rye. Super good, kinda spicy.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

masturskater

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2020, 04:45:43 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation. Been meaning to grabbing a High West. Comes up a lot as a recommended mid tier bourbon.

Anyone try Ezra Brooks Rye? I tried Ezra Brooks bourbon cause people were saying it's the best thing for the money, but I disagree and think it's appropriately priced...

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2020, 05:50:10 AM »
My search for the best cheap bourbon continues. I’ve got a bottle of Old Forrester 100 Rye. Damn good, unbeatable price

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
Re: Whisky Whiskey
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2020, 11:58:56 PM »
Speyburn 10 year I dig it

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Re: Whiskey Whisky
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2020, 12:11:48 PM »
Gentlemen Jack is really smooth
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

masturskater

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2020, 05:30:14 PM »
Was at the store the other day to just browse and ended up buying High West Double Rye.

Was on sale for $35, couldn't pass up on it. All the rye posts got to me. I like it though. It's got good body and rye flavor with generous notes of baking spices. I'm not too well versed rye. The other one I had in recent memory was Sazerac, which I felt was a smooth, clean and distinct rye.

I also picked up an Angel's Envy Port Wine Barrel Bourbon. Ive been meaning to try some. They're somewhat hard to come by and I only hear great things. That being said.....it's alright.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2020, 08:32:23 PM »
Thoughts on Powers?

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1096
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2020, 12:36:02 AM »
I second (or third) the Four Roses
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2020, 12:00:48 PM »
So yeah I’m venturing into scotch now and I love it. I love the speyburn 10 and Glenmorangie 10 I have picked up so far. Definitely a more complex set of flavors and a more enjoyable drinking experience. Due to tariffs it’s really ticking pricey so Bourbon is still the well.

masturskater

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2020, 05:25:38 PM »
So yeah I’m venturing into scotch now and I love it. I love the speyburn 10 and Glenmorangie 10 I have picked up so far. Definitely a more complex set of flavors and a more enjoyable drinking experience. Due to tariffs it’s really ticking pricey so Bourbon is still the well.
Yes! I'm with you on the scotch. If you have the chance to splurge on a Glenmorangie 18yr, I'd recommend it. Its around $100 but it's like sipping on a fresh orange peel.

Took me a while to try an Irish Whiskey, but you should check out the Sexton. I've bought it for $30. I need to find my cheap go-to scotch.

Stopped by the store today and wound up with a Wild Turkey 101. Still trying to find my favorite sub $30 bourbon. This was on sale for $20 and it came with a couple of bitters to make old fashions.

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2020, 07:52:18 PM »
I’d love to know a good, widely available scotch in the 35-40 range. On bourbon, I agree with everyone about Buffalo Trace.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:36:40 AM by Hairy Ballsagna »

masturskater

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2020, 08:20:01 PM »
I’d love to know a good, widely available scotch in the 35-40 range. I’m bourbon, I agree with everyone about Buffalo Trace.
Though I haven't tried it yet, sounds like Monkey Shoulder may be good for you. It's like the Buffalo Trace of scotch. Always comes up in conversation when discussing best value. Around here it's normally $35 but I've seen it go as low as $30.

As mentioned above, i'm a fan of Glenmorangie. Haven't had their 10yr yet but that around $40 maybe a lil more.

UPDATE: Pleasantly surpirsed by the Wild Turkey 101. Packs a lot of flavor and is pretty smooth for being 50.5%ABV.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 06:14:46 PM by masturskater »

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2020, 08:42:21 PM »
Here’s a link to a fun thing/fact pertaining to whiskey that I came across a while back, thought I’d share it with y’all here.
Cool facts.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/10/whiskey-webs-are-unique-fingerprints-for-different-kinds-of-american-whiskey/

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

nevrwasben

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2020, 08:03:13 AM »
I’m not well versed at all, but here’s my input.

I was just gifted a bottle of Jim Beam Double Oak and that’s my new fave

As far as Scotch goes, I like single malt/peaty stuff. Laphraiog & Lagavulin; also, Trader Joe’s has a nice house branded price point scotch that’s pretty good called Finlaggin.

quarterpound

• Rep: 14
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2020, 05:15:21 PM »
Bulleit, easy to get, not too badly priced, quality.  It's too backwards to me to spend real money on bourbon

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2020, 08:48:10 AM »
Not sure if my pallet has changed or regular old four roses has gotten better but damn! Really enjoying it and it’s a great price.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
Re: Whiskey/ Whisky
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2020, 02:09:08 PM »
Glenfiddich 12

Love it.

I definitely prefer Scotch to bourbon now, but bourbon will remain my go-to for price reasons. Among Scotch I still have only ventured into single malts. Speyburn 10, Glenmorangie 10, and now Glenfiddich 12. They have all been quite different from one another and I have liked all three. Still sticking with regular old Four Roses for the bourbon. It’s good.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 06:00:58 AM by cricketclub »