Author Topic: Whiskey Whisky  (Read 5397 times)

AsianVegan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
Re: Whiskey Whisky
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2020, 05:13:18 PM »
Been trying to build up a little collection of Single Malts the last couple of years - currently have Lagovulin 16, Oban 14, Abelour 12, Balvenie Caribbean Cask, Caol Ila 12. I only really have Speyside and Islay ones so its cool to taste the obvious differences and try to learn each regions style etc.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2020, 05:44:15 PM »
Been trying to build up a little collection of Single Malts the last couple of years - currently have Lagovulin 16, Oban 14, Abelour 12, Balvenie Caribbean Cask, Caol Ila 12. I only really have Speyside and Islay ones so its cool to taste the obvious differences and try to learn each regions style etc.

Woah good stuff!
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

duster1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2020, 07:32:45 AM »
For a while I was drinking the Evan Williams Bottle in Bond white label like every day. Very solid whiskey with a super low price.

Lately I have drinking much less, but still enjoy it in moderation. Made the unfortunate error of buying Johnny Walker Red Label a few months back. That is apparently infamous for being one of the worst Scotches around.

Some of my favorites are Old Grandad and Jameson. My whiskey experience is fairly basic as hell.

https://youtu.be/mPpGp_J3z2A

Bourbon>Scotch>Rye
Skating and Baitin

Grind King Rims

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2020, 11:08:49 AM »
I live in Ireland and I'm fond of whiskey, but I'm also uncultured, so I'll drink pretty much anything.
Green Spot and Yellow Spot are particularly nice.
I should try more Scotch, bourbon and Rye whiskeys I gather.

/whiskey input

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2020, 01:12:13 PM »
I had the chance to try out a few Scotches I was curious about. Laguvalin 16, Oban 14, and Macallan 12.
Macallen 12 was my favorite of the three, which is good info for me to have as far as buying bottles goes. It seemed like the most straightforward Scotch to me of the three, but what do I know? Cheers.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2020, 01:20:54 PM »
Anyone keep a tasting journal? I have one for single malts with 127 entries at the moment. I went through a phase when I wasn't skating much where I got obsessed with scotch. A good chunk of the entries came from buying Drinks by the Dram from Master of Malt, where you can buy samples of whisky. I tried to taste one malt from every active distillery. Whisky tasting is pretty cool because it makes you more keen to the smell and taste of food and drinks.

moneymoneymoney

Re: The Bourbon Thread
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2020, 01:46:05 PM »
My go to is Evan Williams black label. I can get a liter in my area for 16 bucks and it tastes like it should cost twice that in my opinion.
evan williams is also my go-to. the best kentucky straight for the best price. i also really like their bonded bourbon, the white label but that is a bit more rare of a find. ive had the four roses, the bulleit, the bufflalo trace, wild turkey, bookers, plenty of single barrels, blah blah blah. yeah its good but why pay $30-$40 when i can get just as tanked off a $12 evan williams bottle and with a comparable taste? jim beam is also really good too for a kentucky straight but its more expensive than evan williams and less abv.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2020, 03:56:20 PM »
Anyone keep a tasting journal? I have one for single malts with 127 entries at the moment. I went through a phase when I wasn't skating much where I got obsessed with scotch. A good chunk of the entries came from buying Drinks by the Dram from Master of Malt, where you can buy samples of whisky. I tried to taste one malt from every active distillery. Whisky tasting is pretty cool because it makes you more keen to the smell and taste of food and drinks.

No but that’s really cool you did that. Would be great to have your insights into various single malts.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2021, 05:29:16 PM »
Yo,

I have a co-worker (warehouse manager) coming up on 10 years with the company. Wanted to get him a 10 year old bourbon to commemorate the occasion but I don’t know anything about bourbon. He is a Mexican Beer drinker (So Cal Mexican American) and I am not sure what he drinks for liquor but I am sure he would appreciate a good bourbon.

It’s in June so I am thinking something maybe sweetish/vanilla like. Prolly low on rye.

Thoughts? Thanks

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2021, 07:40:18 PM »
My go to average level bourbon is Ezra Brooks, or Jim Beam.

Next level up would be Bulleit or High West

If I'm really feeling fancy I'll get some Basil Hayden.

Get hungry on it!

ProjectBluebeam

• Rep: 59
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2021, 09:46:41 PM »
Yo,

I have a co-worker (warehouse manager) coming up on 10 years with the company. Wanted to get him a 10 year old bourbon to commemorate the occasion but I don’t know anything about bourbon. He is a Mexican Beer drinker (So Cal Mexican American) and I am not sure what he drinks for liquor but I am sure he would appreciate a good bourbon.

It’s in June so I am thinking something maybe sweetish/vanilla like. Prolly low on rye.

Thoughts? Thanks
I dont think you can go wrong with something like buffalo trace as a gift for someone that may not be huge into bourbon, I got into bourbon a year ago but in BC there isnt a huge selection but I have tried most of what is readily available, I really like Knob Creek, WT101, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Weller Special Reserve to name a few, but I did pick up a bottle of Redbreast 12 irish whiskey and lets just say it didnt last long..

ProjectBluebeam

• Rep: 59
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2021, 09:48:54 PM »
oops actually if it needs to be 10 years old then go with the Eagle Rare, its the same mash bill as Buffalo Trace just aged 10 years

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2021, 05:17:15 AM »
Angels Envy Rye is probably my favorite drink.  Phenomenal stuff.  Up there with the Thomas H Handy.

Lagavulin 12 is always top dog of my Scotch pile, and the greatest of the Islays.

Sullivans Cove French Oak from Tasmania is a fucken ripper too

animalflesh

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2021, 06:52:31 AM »
Yo,

Thoughts? Thanks

Get him widow Jane, made in New York, 10 years old and heavy on the vanilla

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2021, 09:17:23 PM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

scavenger

• Rep: 2
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2021, 10:38:55 PM »
Bang-for-buck, it's tough to beat Wild Turkey 101. I prefer it over  Bulleit and Buffalo trace, both of which are still very good, it's cheaper than both of those ($18 for WT101 vs $20-25 for Bulleit/Buffalo in my area), it's 101 proof and it's especially great if you're making mixed drinks; the flavor just stands up better than most . I like to sip it straight too though.

But if I'm mixing it, it's WT101 + Cock and Bull Ginger Beer + Lime. Or just WT101 and home-made lemonade.

Orrrr just straight, but next to a Lagunitas IPA. Man , that sweet/bitter whisky/IPA combo.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2021, 05:21:37 AM »
Couple of my friends are distillers and they tell me that, for cheap whiskey, old overholt and mellow corn are the moves. So that's mostly what I drink.

Bay10Blues

• Rep: 5
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2021, 02:05:43 PM »
Evan Williams 1783 is my daily drinker. Little smoother than Black Label and like $16/17 for 750ml in NC. Great buy.

Buddy just gave me a Basil Hayden’s bottle, so I guess I’ll be fancy for a bit.

Liking all these suggestions.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2021, 05:33:17 AM »
Figured I would fire this thread back up now that it’s winter and bourbon season is in full swing.

Anyone out there hunting for unicorns currently?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

animalflesh

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2021, 05:42:45 AM »
Drank some Tale of Cake at the bar recently but haven’t brought anything home

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2021, 11:28:54 AM »
Ive recently been on a Japanese whiskey tip, bought a $50 bottle of something recently that was amazing

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2021, 11:56:06 PM »
We've been using Basil Hayden's rye to make old fashion'dsssssss lately.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2022, 06:42:53 PM »
My dad gave me this for christmas.  Pretty excited to try it out, but waiting for a proper occasion.

Get hungry on it!

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2022, 08:53:25 PM »
My dad gave me this for christmas.  Pretty excited to try it out, but waiting for a proper occasion.

Someone’s doing well.

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -15
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2022, 12:01:52 AM »
Vodka Wodka

Gimme some Laphroaig

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2022, 03:59:49 AM »
Thoughts on Powers?

Power's is good. Very similar to Jameson. I believe they're from the same distillery. From what I heard, up until recently there weren't too many active distilleries in the Republic of Ireland. I do love Irish whiskeys though, they go down so smoothly. At times too smoothly. Hahaha. Tyrconnell is another good one.

If you like Irish whiskeys, as well as Scotch whisky, you might want to try Connemara - they do a single malt peated whiskey that's really good.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2022, 04:14:19 AM »
If you come across it, I definitely recommend giving anything produced by Kavalan in Taiwan.

Really unique whiskies that mature much differently than those in Scotland or Japan, and their company history is wacky - they made coffee and computer chips before they got into the distillery game.

I recommend their Solist series, either the Vinho Barrique, Amontillado, and/or Ex-Bourbon. They're kinda pricey back home. If I weren't living in Asia I'd probably never have gotten ahold of any.

Their Classic and Concertmaster whiskies are much more affordable and good starting points to see what they can do.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2022, 01:30:26 PM »
Ive recently been on a Japanese whiskey tip, bought a $50 bottle of something recently that was amazing
Am I the only one that doesn't like Japanese whiskey? I've had a few and they taste watery to me. Don't remember brands though. I just thought the labels were kewl 😎.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

masturskater

• Rep: 21
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2022, 03:51:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Am I the only one that doesn't like Japanese whiskey? I've had a few and they taste watery to me. Don't remember brands though. I just thought the labels were kewl 😎.
I understand what you mean. Try Nikka From the Barrel, Taketsuru or Coffey Grain if you get the chance.

Gave up drinking til Easter. Looking forward to sipping on liquor and mixing some cocktails.

What are people's go-tos for rye? I'm looking for the cheapest rye that's still spicy. I've had Wild Turkey 81 Rye, Sazerac, High West Double Rye, Pikesville, Bullet Rye, Old Overholt and Woodford Rye. I would say Pikesville is my favorite so far, (followed by Sazerac and High West) but its more than I like to spend on the regular ($45 to$60). Made a killer Manhattan. Just picked up Redemption Rye for $23, fingers crossed.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2022, 04:06:22 PM »
Oh boy. Haven't drank in years. Bourbon was my jam though. Cheap and potent most of the time though, Wild Turkey 101...

My sister's husband is high end alcohol sales person. Homie's liquor hutch is filled with rare whiskeys. Never got to drink with him, and that's a good thing, but man, it's a serious collection. Dude's brother is getting married and he got him some bottles of some rare/expensive whiskey, can't remember what it is, but the distro sold it to him at cost, $60/bottle, and it's something package stores sell for $400+/bottle. Talk about a mark up.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind