Author Topic: What about deck length?  (Read 6235 times)

roanrox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
What about deck length?
« on: February 25, 2020, 06:15:36 PM »
Searched all over the forum and couldn’t find any light on this:
What’s the real thing about deck length?
I mean let’s say you have the same dimensions deck (e.g. 8.5 wide / 14.5 wheelbase) by 32” length.
If you move up to 8.5wide / 14.5wb / 32.5 length how will it affect your ride?

TL;DR: does deck length matter? How?

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

Re: What about deck length?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 06:26:14 PM »
Is the length added to the tail or nose? It can only be added to three places. WB, nose or tail. Pretty easy to predict how that will influence your ride.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 06:27:53 PM »
Longer nose/tail with more flat will give you more control, but a shorter nose/tail with less flat will give you more leverage. It's likely the 32.5" is going to have more flat (at least on one end), which you might prefer for some tricks.

Personally, I like how a longer board looks because I'm tall and it feels like I have a little more room. But that's totally just me.

UPPERCASEnocap

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 06:29:51 PM »
Fingers of flat could be a factor worth considering as well. Or pitch of nose/tail.

UPPERCASEnocap

• Rep: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 06:30:41 PM »
Longer nose/tail with more flat will give you more control, but a shorter nose/tail with less flat will give you more leverage. It's likely the 32.5" is going to have more flat (at least on one end), which you might prefer for some tricks.

Personally, I like how a longer board looks because I'm tall and it feels like I have a little more room. But that's totally just me.

Beat me to it. All good info!

roanrox

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 07:11:04 PM »
Is the length added to the tail or nose? It can only be added to three places. WB, nose or tail. Pretty easy to predict how that will influence your ride.

Wow never thought about that. Damn how can I know when buying a new deck online?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 07:22:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wow never thought about that. Damn how can I know when buying a new deck online?
tactics and socal skateshop have pretty accurate online measurements
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 07:24:32 PM »
Min: 31.65"
Prefecto: 31.75"
Max: 31.85"

Seriously...I've come to really dislike 32"+ boards for regular use (bowls/cruising ok).

6.5" Tail
14" - 14.25" WB
Rest in the nose (preferably just under 7")

Essentially Primitive decks :P

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 07:27:05 PM »
Or is it added at all?

manufacturers can measure deck length differently.  Some measure direct across tips - like with a yardstick.  Some measure with a soft tape on the grip side of the board. Some measure with a soft tape on the graphic side of the board.  Same deck could measure 3/4” different

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 07:42:05 PM »
I don't pay super close attention to length cuz I don't know how they're measuring it and I'm not gonna memorize each woodshop's method.
I have a range that I look for but it's just close to 32", 31.75-32.25"?
33" I immediately check for a 15" wb..
I try to find nose, tail, and wb lengths cuz short tails bug me.
So I look for ~7" nose, 6-5/8" or longer tail, 14-14.25" wb

roanrox

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 07:57:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
tactics and socal skateshop have pretty accurate online measurements

Got it. TY

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 08:10:57 PM »
Pretty old post, but good explanation of why the measuring technique matters

http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2013/05/deck-length-measuring-by-company.html?m=1

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 08:20:01 PM »
I only pay attention to wheelbase and tail length. Overall length and nose length... whatevs, I can make work if WB and tail are in my workable limits. Those two measurements are also more important than width for me. As long the width is within 1/4" of my trucks, I'm usually good.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1926
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 08:43:04 PM »

Seriously...I've come to really dislike 32"+ boards for regular use (bowls/cruising ok).

6.5" Tail
14" - 14.25" WB

How much is Primitive paying you to promote their stuff on Slap? I do like their dimensions though, look like they will pair well with my growing collection of Venture trucks.

For me 32" is good, gives me lots of room to pop and drag my foot up for a nice floaty kickflips. But the added length can be tough to manage more precise tricks where I want a tighter turn like Tailslides and Smith grinds. Anything longer than 32" is unmanagable for me.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 11:01:14 PM »
Expand Quote

6.5" Tail
14" - 14.25" WB

[close]

How much is Primitive paying you to promote their stuff on Slap? I do like their dimensions though, look like they will pair well with my growing collection of Venture trucks.

For me 32" is good, gives me lots of room to pop and drag my foot up for a nice floaty kickflips. But the added length can be tough to manage more precise tricks where I want a tighter turn like Tailslides and Smith grinds. Anything longer than 32" is unmanagable for me.

I wish they were paying me (in boards)....they pair super well with Ventures and the dimensions (not those in their diagrams) are really great all around and the shapes are somewhere between square and round tips.

I wish the decks were a bit crispier (like a Dwindle Resin 7) but you get what  you get.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 11:20:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

6.5" Tail
14" - 14.25" WB

[close]

[close]

I wish they were paying me (in boards)....they pair super well with Ventures and the dimensions (not those in their diagrams) are really great all around and the shapes are somewhere between square and round tips.

I wish the decks were a bit crispier (like a Dwindle Resin 7) but you get what  you get.

It's a shame they don't make their boards a touch longer, 31.6" is a hair too short. I'm deciding between a Tactics (BBS), Darkstar and Sausage (Clutch) deck to ship back to Asia, your last statement made my choice a lot tougher.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 12:29:47 AM »
Being 5'6 in height I have short legs, so decks with a shorter wheelbase feel way more maneuverable to me - something about the leverage. Flip tricks and ledge tricks just feel a lot better and take less effort, whereas on a board with a longer wheelbase I'll have to try a bit harder and be more precise. Ever since I became aware of that I've been trying to get decks with a shorter wheelbase, but occasionally I'll get it wrong and be stuck on a longer one or two and that's usually when my skating style will change drastically, from flip tricks and tech to going faster on more basic tricks (seeing as the tech shit will be more frustrating, I kind of put it on hold and stop bothering with it for a bit). Anything in the 31 range will feel like a toy I can control, anything above 32 will feel like a tank that drives me somewhere. I actually like the feeling of both but depending on how tall one is and how they want to skate, one choice or the other will probably feel more versatile.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 01:23:14 AM »
My kickflips were awful until I got a 32.5". Everything I had skated before was a 31.75". Still feels slightly long but both my kickflips and heelflips are so much better now.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 01:24:03 AM »
Being 5'6 in height I have short legs, so decks with a shorter wheelbase feel way more maneuverable to me - something about the leverage. Flip tricks and ledge tricks just feel a lot better and take less effort, whereas on a board with a longer wheelbase I'll have to try a bit harder and be more precise. Ever since I became aware of that I've been trying to get decks with a shorter wheelbase, but occasionally I'll get it wrong and be stuck on a longer one or two and that's usually when my skating style will change drastically, from flip tricks and tech to going faster on more basic tricks (seeing as the tech shit will be more frustrating, I kind of put it on hold and stop bothering with it for a bit). Anything in the 31 range will feel like a toy I can control, anything above 32 will feel like a tank that drives me somewhere. I actually like the feeling of both but depending on how tall one is and how they want to skate, one choice or the other will probably feel more versatile.

I'm roughly the same height,  what qualifies as a short or long WB for you? I've had a great setups between 17.26 - 17.52, brought a slightly used deck out of retirement to try a 17.5, 14 with Venture 5.2 hollow lights
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2020, 01:29:29 AM »

Looks good to me..

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2020, 01:43:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm roughly the same height,  what qualifies as a short or long WB for you? I've had a great setups between 17.26 - 17.52, brought a slightly used deck out of retirement to try a 17.5, 14 with Venture 5.2 hollow lights

Honestly I don't nerd out on gear specs nearly enough to be able to provide you with an accurate answer. The 32 in length, and around a specific spot (17, 18?) in wheelbase seems to be the breaking point between the two 'styles' for me, I've found a particular shape Magenta / Generator makes that works really well for me, they used to have the exact specs up a few seasons ago but now they gone and I can't remember them. I used to go back and worth between 8.25 and 8.125 as well, both sizes used to feel perfect as long as the wheelbase was correct but now I'm definitely a 8.25 guy for stability.

I also skate trucks shorter than my deck width (139mm on 8.25's, but then again I also rocked 129mm's on a Polar P1 once), I like the reaction that gives on flip tricks, not sure if that makes a difference on this topic though. And I like semi flat concave. Boards with steep concave feel like some alien object sent out there to destroy human feet, to me. Shoe size is 9.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:27:31 AM by silhouette »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2020, 02:41:55 AM »

6.5" Tail
14" - 14.25" WB

I'm guessing by "prefecto" you meant "perfecto" and you're totally about the fact that nothing beats a Primitive board.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2020, 02:49:59 AM »
I don't personally feel length is that important within reason, longest I had was a 8.5 33 14.5 Hockey, great board was doing the best 360 flips of my life on that fuckin thing. Current is an 8.5 32.25 14.375 Heroin, long as it's an 8.5 with around an 14.5 wheelbase it's solid to me.

Oddly I really enjoyed skating an 8.5 32.25 15 Death board even if it did feel like skating a door.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2020, 04:06:40 AM »
My kickflips were awful until I got a 32.5". Everything I had skated before was a 31.75". Still feels slightly long but both my kickflips and heelflips are so much better now.

exciting. Got a 32.5” to set up next

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 05:11:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn I couldnt handle such length (giggity)

Thinking of sizing down slightly from a 32", I'm finding with a longer board I tend to over drag and get too high above the ledge. Thanks to the cheetahsheets tutorial I'm trying 360 flips seriously for the first time, thinking a smaller deck might be easier to shove.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2020, 05:20:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Damn I couldnt handle such length (giggity)

Thinking of sizing down slightly from a 32", I'm finding with a longer board I tend to over drag and get too high above the ledge. Thanks to the cheetahsheets tutohrial I'm trying 360 flips seriously for the first time, thinking a smaller deck might be easier to shove.
lol where was this
I’m also 6’4” so longer deck is probably different for you than me

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2020, 05:58:58 AM »
Thanks to the cheetahsheets tutorial I'm trying 360 flips seriously for the first time, thinking a smaller deck might be easier to shove.

360 flips are probably the main trick that gets taken away from me on 32''+ boards (I can still do them but I have to work against the board more rather than with it if that makes sense). Definitely has more to do with the variation in wheelbase though.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2020, 06:10:40 AM »
Moving to shorter decks really made things more comfortable for me. I try to avoid anything over 31.8 if I can now. 31.5 with a 14.25wb seems to be my goldilocks zone. Its one of those things I ignored for a long time but once I started experimenting with it I was pretty surprised at how much of a difference it made.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2020, 07:43:34 AM »
The trend by pro's is getting more compact setups. If you ask Paul Schmitt, he says so in "The Nine Club" pod. We've already seen the trend in snowboarding by not having such a wide stance.

I personally dislike anything over 32", and im 6,4ft myself.
Longer board give you a wider stance when doing a trick, or longer flick. Why would you want that?

8.5x31.5, or even 31 must be so fun!

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2020, 08:04:42 AM »
In my case my happy place is in 32.25 apparently
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.