Author Topic: What about deck length?  (Read 6273 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: What about deck length?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2020, 08:24:13 AM »
The trend by pro's is getting more compact setups. If you ask Paul Schmitt, he says so in "The Nine Club" pod. We've already seen the trend in snowboarding by not having such a wide stance.

I personally dislike anything over 32", and im 6,4ft myself.
Longer board give you a wider stance when doing a trick, or longer flick. Why would you want that?

8.5x31.5, or even 31 must be so fun!
My theory: more stability during set up/crouch being a touch wider.
On a short board/wb my legs feel like they have no where to go. can never fully extend when flicking i guess?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »
The trend by pro's is getting more compact setups. If you ask Paul Schmitt, he says so in "The Nine Club" pod. We've already seen the trend in snowboarding by not having such a wide stance.

I personally dislike anything over 32", and im 6,4ft myself.
Longer board give you a wider stance when doing a trick, or longer flick. Why would you want that?

8.5x31.5, or even 31 must be so fun!

My theory that the rise in WB shortening trucks (Film, Theeve, Ace) stems from people riding wider, longer boards which give longer WB, hence the need for trucks that tuck them in.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2020, 11:33:15 AM »
This is another one of those thread titles that made me do a double take.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2020, 01:12:24 PM »
This is another one of those thread titles that made me do a double take.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 849
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2020, 04:41:50 PM »
In my case my happy place is in 32.25 apparently

Just want to point out that different companies measure length differently. Some use a straight tip to tip measurement and some include the curve/concave of the deck, so it's a good idea to be aware of how a retailer or company measures their decks.

For example, I have a Quasi AD 8.375 that you'll find listed as "32.25" most places as thats what quasi had on the site but if you measure it tip to tip it's actually 31.75", whereas I have an Antihero Austin Kanfoush deck that's 31.62" tip to tip which is exactly whats printed on the sticker. Any good skate shop will have a tape measure and will be more than happy to let you measure the decks if you want, or if you're shopping online you can always email the company or shop and ask them how they're measuring.

Also don't always trust whats on the label as theres sometimes significant variation in a decks size from manufacturing processes not being totally precise (where its at in the press stack and how its trimmed etc). I just got a WKND that's marked as 8.25" width but its actually closer to 8.38. This is the reason why Rodney Mullen was so adamant about using single deck pressing and cnc when he was setting up dwindle's chinese factory... it should theoretically give you an identical deck every time.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2020, 04:54:16 PM »
Excellent about pointing that Buttfart. You da man.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also don't always trust whats on the label as theres sometimes significant variation in a decks size from manufacturing processes not being totally precise (where its at in the press stack and how its trimmed etc). I just got a WKND that's marked as 8.25" width but its actually closer to 8.38. This is the reason why Rodney Mullen was so adamant about using single deck pressing and cnc when he was setting up dwindle's chinese factory... it should theoretically give you an identical deck every time.

It's nitpicking but finding out my deck was off by 0.13" would piss me off royally. I can understand having different measurements methods for length, but width? Come on board companies!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2020, 07:11:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's nitpicking but finding out my deck was off by 0.13" would piss me off royally. I can understand having different measurements methods for length, but width? Come on board companies!
I've only seen this on a flat, flat, flat BBS deck. It's was close to 1/8" wider?
If you watch Stevie's vid the BBS guy mentions something about cutting some decks wider. I think it's to sneak in a lil concave and stiffen up the flatter decks in the stack.

All the big woodshops use CNC now. Even when they copied a master pattern they just "looked" at length and width as the master was flat.
Decks are cut in a stack so some can shift and get cut wonky. I've got an old PS Stix like this, both sides of the nose and tail are different shapes.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 849
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2020, 04:22:22 AM »

All the big woodshops use CNC now. Even when they copied a master pattern they just "looked" at length and width as the master was flat.
Decks are cut in a stack so some can shift and get cut wonky. I've got an old PS Stix like this, both sides of the nose and tail are different shapes.

This deck is quite flat, especially for a WKND deck, so I'd guess it was at the very bottom of the stack and would be 8.25 with a deep concave if it had been at the top. I have another one that seems to be from the same mold that's a little deeper and just a fraction over 8.25", so that one was probably mid stack.

It doesn't actually bother me that much. Deck skates great and I I actually kinda like the fact that there's minute differences. Its kind of like a tiny tweak to the shape. Now if it were wheelbase variation THAT would piss me off.

RichardAsh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2021, 03:43:44 AM »
Anything that measures between 28″ to 46″ is good. The shorter ones help you make sharp turns and angles. Those boards at the long end are ideal for stability.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2021, 03:55:16 AM »
I used to think that i like longer boards but skated this one Antihero which was under 31.5" and did maybe the best skating i have done in my life with it.

So now i have one more thing to go full madness mode.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2021, 09:18:10 AM »
I used to think that i like longer boards but skated this one Antihero which was under 31.5" and did maybe the best skating i have done in my life with it.

I ran that 8.1 x 31.4 anti hero shape a while. I still have one but I’ve started to skate a longer shape since I have ventures. Loved it on thunders though

hiljentaa

• Rep: 308
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2021, 02:05:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I ran that 8.1 x 31.4 anti hero shape a while. I still have one but I’ve started to skate a longer shape since I have ventures. Loved it on thunders though

Been very curious about that shape paired with Ventures..

Tail too short?

Hard to find 8.12 with a 14" wb.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2021, 02:08:20 PM »
Pretty old post, but good explanation of why the measuring technique matters

http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2013/05/deck-length-measuring-by-company.html?m=1

Old post, but relevant information from that blog post above and an interesting read, if you have the time.

This was from not too long ago, with what was the standard 8.5 x 32 (Baker) - 8.5 x 32.7 (others) = same boards.

Board dimensions are a funny thing.

Here are four different brands, all from the same woodshop, all of which those companies list different lengths for their 8.5 wide standard shaped decks, but all are actually the exact same size and dimensions overall. Note the wheelbase is listed the same too, at 14.5 for all.

I have also included an older Baker deck beside the newer one, just for reference, but they are said to be 8.5 x 32, then the Black Label is said to be 8.5 x 32.38, the Element is 8.5 x 32.7 and the Generator (shop brand) deck is listed as 8.5 x 32.5 from their site.

All are actually 8.5 x 32.7 if the tape measure is held against the concave right through, or closer to 32.25 if kept tight from end to end, with a nose at about 7.2 and tail at about 6.7 but that is just rough measurements really.

The dimensions shown on the Element deck are the most accurate, but I know some companies / places prefer to measure straight across, not with the concave, which will always give a different length.

Other decks from different companies, regardless of woodshop, often have inconsistencies, which is why I find it so interesting to have a number of the same boards from various places to measure and compare, all of these being the same, as I have multiples of each.

There are ever so slight differences in concave too, but for the most part, they all are approximately the same, some slightly steeper and some slightly more mellow than others, depending on where they were in the press, being four at a time in this particular woodshop, the top being the steepest down to the fourth deck having the least concave. It can be fairly significant, as per an older post I put up.

The last pic is just an added one with a few other brands which also use the same woodshop, but I didn't have the exact same size boards from those brands to add, even though the Birdhouse and Antihero both are 14.5 wheelbase, they are listed as 8.38 wide and 32.25 long, which come in just under the length of the other ones.

To list all the brands from the top tier woodshop like this one would take a little too long here, but these are just a few of them anyway.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2021, 02:38:40 PM »
That's why I prefer Dwindle or NHS (even Girl), not only for crisp "china wood" but because I can count on board dimensions being accurate from run to run.

Additionally, I notice more inaccuracies with BBS as the boards get bigger. Hell, Baker still advertises the 8.25 as 31.875" when it's actually 32, been that way for years...maybe they have lots of those dimension stickers to use up...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2021, 03:06:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Tail too short?

April/Primitive (tho it's 8.125")

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2021, 06:13:22 PM »
That's why I prefer Dwindle or NHS (even Girl), not only for crisp "china wood" but because I can count on board dimensions being accurate from run to run.

Additionally, I notice more inaccuracies with BBS as the boards get bigger. Hell, Baker still advertises the 8.25 as 31.875" when it's actually 32, been that way for years...maybe they have lots of those dimension stickers to use up...
WAIT…so the 8.25 Baker is 32” long? Possible next deck!
I skated 8.25 x 32.25 for quite some time and love it still. I always told myself I needed more room for ollies down things, at speed, or on banks and stuff. I got a good deal on an 8.25 x 31.75 so I tried it. After a few sessions I had no issues with ollies. I’m on my 3rd 31.75 now. I will say though, kickflips feel a little more harder. Going to go to something longer next deck. For fun.

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2021, 07:15:31 PM »
I was a happy young man when 8.5x32.5 was a common sight.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2021, 02:14:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
WAIT…so the 8.25 Baker is 32” long? Possible next deck!
I skated 8.25 x 32.25 for quite some time and love it still. I always told myself I needed more room for ollies down things, at speed, or on banks and stuff. I got a good deal on an 8.25 x 31.75 so I tried it. After a few sessions I had no issues with ollies. I’m on my 3rd 31.75 now. I will say though, kickflips feel a little more harder. Going to go to something longer next deck. For fun.

Check a few different BBS brands of 8.25 as most of them are closer to 32, if not a touch longer, depending on how they are measured, but also compared to some that are way shorter, actually 31.5 (as they do make the short ones as well - Deathwish, Primitive, etc) so some can go either way.

I was a happy young man when 8.5x32.5 was a common sight.

It is a funny one, as someone I know was so keen on brands like Baker, but they were complaining the boards were too short (mainly the 8.475 x 31.85 size they just had) and they didn't want an Element which was shown as 32.7 but when I showed them most of those decks including Baker 8.5 were all the same size and length, they were blown away.

The best thing others have said is the 14.5 wb and the 6.75 tail on those boards, but that is just personal preference.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2021, 06:40:14 AM »
31.25-31.75 for me.
31.5 - 31.75 is ideal though

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2021, 08:48:16 AM »
After thinking I was in love with the April 8.25's and switching it up to FA/Hocky's...Huge difference I know.

I found myself trying out some other decks. Most recently the Mason 8.28. I hated it. It was funny to hear Ben Degros say its the perfect set up for (Wishing a speedy recovery!). I'm nowhere near his height for that short deck and tail. Sounded good on paper.

So I started looking for decks in what I thought would be my ideal specks. The closest I found was Black Label.
8.25W, 32.12L, 7.0 Nose, 6.75 Tail. The website had the wheelbase wrong at 14.12. It turned out to be 14.25WB.

I've been allllabout the 14.0WB movement.  But I set it up anyways and I'm so hyped on my skating again. I've got all my tricks back on one deck. It's also flattest deck I can recall ever skating. I snagged a Shake Junt deck on sale with a similar spec not noticing the 31.5 in length. I hope its a little longer.

Can anyone confirm the lengths of the baker/shakjunt  8.25's?

I haven't skated a baker since 2001.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2021, 09:52:35 AM »
After thinking I was in love with the April 8.25's and switching it up to FA/Hocky's...Huge difference I know.

I found myself trying out some other decks. Most recently the Mason 8.28. I hated it. It was funny to hear Ben Degros say its the perfect set up for (Wishing a speedy recovery!). I'm nowhere near his height for that short deck and tail. Sounded good on paper.

So I started looking for decks in what I thought would be my ideal specks. The closest I found was Black Label.
8.25W, 32.12L, 7.0 Nose, 6.75 Tail. The website had the wheelbase wrong at 14.12. It turned out to be 14.25WB.

I've been allllabout the 14.0WB movement.  But I set it up anyways and I'm so hyped on my skating again. I've got all my tricks back on one deck. It's also flattest deck I can recall ever skating. I snagged a Shake Junt deck on sale with a similar spec not noticing the 31.5 in length. I hope its a little longer.

Can anyone confirm the lengths of the baker/shakjunt  8.25's?

I haven't skated a baker since 2001.

Every baker 8.25 I've ever ridden (and it has been many) have always been 32"L (even tho listed as 31.875), both regular and their 'squared' shape.

Stranger/Pfanner/Mason shape is close to sweet, but the length and WB don't do it for me, but I love the nose/tail width/length. I've tried to make it work 4 times, guess I'm just too tall for a short WB AND Length; I can skate 14" Wheelbase Primitives 31.9" with long tails super easy tho. For those that like the Mason dims, go check out the Santa Cruz Knibbs and Henry boards (true) 8.27/8.28 (they have on of each), 14.12/14.22 WBs and 31.83" in length (and you get that crispy dwindle wood).

I just pick up an Uma 8.25x31.9x14.3 WB...I've found that I need a bit longer than 31.5/6" decks and 14.25" WBs...it's tough out there. After much back and forth I know my fav shape is the NHS wide tip, square but not FA square...8.25x32x14.33" medium kicks and mellow cave...sadly it isn't in production because it didn't sell.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2021, 11:36:20 AM »

Every baker 8.25 I've ever ridden (and it has been many) have always been 32"L (even tho listed as 31.875), both regular and their 'squared' shape.

Awesome! Thanks! Was worried It would be smaller than the Mason.lol  The only B2's I could find where foil graphics. If this Shake Junt ones good I'll try that next.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2021, 02:15:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Tail too short?

Honestly it was probably not that bad, I just had switched to ventures and had a hard time. I think I could skate it just fine now but I did feel like the tail was a little short. So now the deck is just sitting in my stack

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2021, 02:57:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Awesome! Thanks! Was worried It would be smaller than the Mason.lol  The only B2's I could find where foil graphics. If this Shake Junt ones good I'll try that next.

Don't take my word for it tho. On the Baker site the reg 8.25 is listed as 31.875 (but they've always been 32); the foil/squared are listed as 32.25...it's been a while since I rode the squared (both were the first runs) so they could have changed them up, who knows.

If they could get their dims straight, I'd ride that B2 a lot, it's a great shape (it's got that Mason/NHS shape vibe going on, more full than square).

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2021, 05:20:14 PM »
I will say I had a Baker B2 that said 8.25 x 32.25 on the sticker and it was true. Mine was a Rowan, I think. Blue bottom. Wasn’t too long ago. I dug it.

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2021, 05:48:41 PM »
I have had a couple of baker decks and when I got them and measured them(slap had me fucked with madness for a minute) the regular mellow 8.25 is just under 32 and the 8.25 b2 definitely closer to a 32.25. The extra length with the same wheelbase is weird, made me try ventures.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2021, 06:03:35 AM »
I measured a few boards I had in the shop today, which was interesting.

A Habitat (BBS wood) 8.0" was 31.125" long, if that - just a touch over 31" really, with a 14.0 wheelbase and 6.4" tail and that board looked proportionate and felt fine to stand on, but I was surprised it was that short overall.

Comparing that to my usual setup of 8.38" at 32.25" or 8.5" at 32.5" length, the Habitat deck was definitely too short for me, or even an orange eagle which is 9" wide at 33+" which is definitely too long for some, size is all relative to what you are used to and what you want.

I am not even going to get into the shaped boards or cruisers that I measured, as half of those ones have shorter noses and longer wheelbases, which kind of throws out the overall dimensions that you would be used to for normal boards, but they can easily go from well under 30" all the way up to almost 34" (which seems like a kids mini size up to almost longboard territory, but that deck was just big all round).

Most are between the 31.5 up to 32.5 though with the common size being pretty much right on 32" long.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2021, 06:02:52 AM »
I have had a couple of baker decks and when I got them and measured them(slap had me fucked with madness for a minute) the regular mellow 8.25 is just under 32 and the 8.25 b2 definitely closer to a 32.25. The extra length with the same wheelbase is weird, made me try ventures.

Measured the Shake Junt last night and like you said its just under 32. I need to get a pic of it compared to the Black Label. The kicks on the SJ begin about a 1/2 before the BL. I'm sure it won't be a problem just an observation. I don't want anymore madness! lol I'm over all the 14WB koolaid... for now  ;) I think as long as my tails are 6.5 its all good for me.

Copped another BL and a Foundation 8.25X32 (for flatness sake). Looking at specks I found that Alien and Habitat fit the bill too tail length wise and over 32. I've always thought they had short tails just wrote them off. Maybe my friend just razor tailed the shit out of his. I would love to skate an Alien.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2021, 02:28:27 AM »

Copped another BL and a Foundation 8.25X32 (for flatness sake). Looking at specks I found that Alien and Habitat fit the bill too tail length wise and over 32. I've always thought they had short tails just wrote them off. Maybe my friend just razor tailed the shit out of his. I would love to skate an Alien.

Alien Workshop and Habitat seem to be back solidly on BBS and are looking good, from the few I have seen lately, along with all the Workshop boards I have had in recent years.

The pricepoint decks can be other wood though, so as long as it is not a cheaper pricepoint board, you should be fine with them.