Author Topic: What about deck length?  (Read 6195 times)

Kombuch-A-Holic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
Re: What about deck length?
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2021, 07:55:28 AM »
I got my Foundation in... I was wrong for thinking it would as flat as Toy Machine. Very wrong! lol

The kicks are pretty damn steep. Comparable to the April I'd skated. 

Tip to tip it measures out a hair over 32.25. Longest 8.25 I've gotten yet. Looks great. Their websites says its 32.
(Corey Glick Bonko 8.25x32)

Idk if I'll skate it anytime soon being as I wanted a pretty flat long deck.
I need my own skate shop or one closer than 80miles away. lol

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2021, 05:55:27 PM »
I got my Foundation in... I was wrong for thinking it would as flat as Toy Machine. Very wrong! lol

Tip to tip it measures out a hair over 32.25. Longest 8.25 I've gotten yet. Looks great. Their websites says its 32.

Guessing it wasn't a PS Stix, now they are from somewhere in China (Excel or Dalian Hauhong) and would have much steeper kicks, that resemble Dwindle concave and kicks.

You can always drive over it or park on the kicks to mellow them out some.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2021, 10:49:58 AM »

Park your car on the kicks for an hour and you will be good to go if you want mellow.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2021, 11:21:39 AM »
I feel like deck length might actually be something I’ve overlooked. Recently I had a deck with a 14.375” wb, which I usually consider too short but I loved it very much. Figured I’d been wrong and went with another deck with a 14.375” wb and I just can’t get along with it. Quite sure now that the main reason is actually the deck length. Usually I ride 14.5” or larger wheelbases and I guess they mostly come in longer decks. I have a 14.25” wb Toy Machine deck stashed that is quite long overall. Might set that up next to test the this further.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2021, 05:31:17 PM »
I feel like deck length might actually be something I’ve overlooked. Recently I had a deck with a 14.375” wb, which I usually consider too short but I loved it very much. Figured I’d been wrong and went with another deck with a 14.375” wb and I just can’t get along with it. Quite sure now that the main reason is actually the deck length. Usually I ride 14.5” or larger wheelbases and I guess they mostly come in longer decks. I have a 14.25” wb Toy Machine deck stashed that is quite long overall. Might set that up next to test the this further.

Which boards worked / didn't work for you?

The usual BBS 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb I have found so good all round, but also the BBS 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.5 wb being a bigger rounder shape is good too, although not quite as nimble as the 8.38 size.  Note the 8.5 will often have 32 length listed, but they are definitely longer than the 8.38 size from companies like Baker, Deathwish, Birdhouse, Element, Passport and a heap of others.

Some of the older 8.25 size from various suppliers still had 14.5 wb and longer length too, which also work well when I stand on them, but as everything is going to shorter wheelbases now, it might be harder to find a good 14.5 wb board with a good length.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2021, 07:28:35 PM »
Is this a deck measuring contest now

MaXX_I-D

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2021, 09:44:30 PM »
Is this a deck measuring contest now
…always has been.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2021, 10:53:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The usual BBS 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb I have found so good all round, but also the BBS 8.5 x 32.5 with 14.5 wb being a bigger rounder shape is good too, although not quite as nimble as the 8.38 size.  Note the 8.5 will often have 32 length listed, but they are definitely longer than the 8.38 size from companies like Baker, Deathwish, Birdhouse, Element, Passport and a heap of others.

Some of the older 8.25 size from various suppliers still had 14.5 wb and longer length too, which also work well when I stand on them, but as everything is going to shorter wheelbases now, it might be harder to find a good 14.5 wb board with a good length.

Antihero BA 9.25” shape worked beautifully and Polar P2 I just couldn’t get along with. Granted, there’s a big difference in the shapes and widths too but the Polar just feels so short. I’ve had the same kind of a feeling before between a few Toy Machine decks with 14.25” wb. The longer one just felt so much better than the shorter one.

But I will have to test this further because wheel size, risers/no risers, nose & tail lengths and steepnesses do come into play as well.

I did notice that smaller worn down wheels didn’t work well at all for me with the BA and bigger ones made it so much nicer right away. I usually run 1/8” risers these days but 58 mm wheels with risers on the P2 had me ghost popping like crazy. Took the risers off and switched to 54 mm wheels and it’s a lot more manageable but still feels too short. I notice it especially when doing nollie stuff and coming off from frontside slappies.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2021, 08:31:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Antihero BA 9.25” shape worked beautifully and Polar P2 I just couldn’t get along with. Granted, there’s a big difference in the shapes and widths too but the Polar just feels so short. I’ve had the same kind of a feeling before between a few Toy Machine decks with 14.25” wb. The longer one just felt so much better than the shorter one.

But I will have to test this further because wheel size, risers/no risers, nose & tail lengths and steepnesses do come into play as well.

I did notice that smaller worn down wheels didn’t work well at all for me with the BA and bigger ones made it so much nicer right away. I usually run 1/8” risers these days but 58 mm wheels with risers on the P2 had me ghost popping like crazy. Took the risers off and switched to 54 mm wheels and it’s a lot more manageable but still feels too short. I notice it especially when doing nollie stuff and coming off from frontside slappies.

Yes I understand and agree with all that.

Some boards can feel so different, even with the same everything else.

If the kicks are too steep, I lose so much and feel way off balance, but if I skate a board with kicks that are too mellow and get used to that, everything else I skate feels weird for a while, so the natural adjustment takes a bit for some things, more than others.

That might not make as much sense - it is late and I should have been asleep a few hours ago.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2021, 10:37:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes I understand and agree with all that.

Some boards can feel so different, even with the same everything else.

If the kicks are too steep, I lose so much and feel way off balance, but if I skate a board with kicks that are too mellow and get used to that, everything else I skate feels weird for a while, so the natural adjustment takes a bit for some things, more than others.

That might not make as much sense - it is late and I should have been asleep a few hours ago.

It definitely makes sense. I’m still searching for that Goldilocks setup myself. What exactly it is that makes it work. Steep kicks I can’t get along with. I prefer mellow but then I have to use big wheels and risers, which I actually prefer. Mellow kick boards aren’t that easy to come by though and in the past I’ve had to buy mostly online so it’s been very hit and miss for me and I’ve tried to make most things work sometimes for too long. Sometimes it just takes some adjustments and a little bit of time. Sometimes it just won’t work no matter what.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2021, 10:43:23 AM »
I likem‘ long and on the thinner side: 8.1*32. probably because I am 6 foot tall with smaller feet.

this usually means I have to buy deluxe shapes. I just bought an anti-Hero Austin kanfush, with those exact specs.

Do you know any other brands who offer those shapes?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2021, 10:51:50 AM »
I likem‘ long and on the thinner side: 8.1*32. probably because I am 6 foot tall with smaller feet.

this usually means I have to buy deluxe shapes. I just bought an anti-Hero Austin kanfush, with those exact specs.

Not everyones taste but DGK do some narrower boards with longer wheelbases. I like their shapes.

S.

• SLAP Pal
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2021, 12:50:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not everyones taste but DGK do some narrower boards with longer wheelbases. I like their shapes.

I like DGK, but I haven't bought their decks in a while, because here in Germany they are 10-20 euros more expensive than any other brand. I would like to buy one, though.

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2021, 07:49:08 AM »
Im contemplating getting a 8.75 polar next time to match my truck size better, their 9 was so good with the super mellow concave. But its a 14,375 WB instead of my prefered 14.5 anyone notice any difference in that small change?

Length is about the same, i think they just put that 0.125 from the wb to the tail.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2021, 11:35:49 AM »
Im contemplating getting a 8.75 polar next time to match my truck size better, their 9 was so good with the super mellow concave. But its a 14,375 WB instead of my prefered 14.5 anyone notice any difference in that small change?

Length is about the same, i think they just put that 0.125 from the wb to the tail.

The Polar 9.0” is actually 14.375” like all their other decks they claim to be 14.5”. Not sure about the 8.75”. Never had that myself.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2021, 03:36:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Polar 9.0” is actually 14.375” like all their other decks they claim to be 14.5”. Not sure about the 8.75”. Never had that myself.

I wonder if some listings for some shops are incorrect but even on the Polar site, the 9.0 popsicle has it listed as 14.5 which is a bit funny.

https://polarskateco.com/products/hjalte-halberg-lurking-wheel-well

9.0" X 32.25"  - WITH WHEEL WELLS
NOSE: 7.0"
WHEEL BASE: 14.5"
TAIL: 6.75"

The 8.75 Polar boards that I have are the same dimensions as this one (below).

The only thing I noticed is the tail really tapers a lot from the back bolts, but it still skates fine.

https://polarskateco.com/products/nick-bosserio-year-2020-moss-green

8.75" X 32.375"
NOSE: 7.25"
WHEEL BASE: 14.375"
TAIL: 6.75"

Jennydeath

• Rep: 6
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2022, 02:15:54 PM »
Expand Quote
In my case my happy place is in 32.25 apparently
[close]

Just want to point out that different companies measure length differently. Some use a straight tip to tip measurement and some include the curve/concave of the deck, so it's a good idea to be aware of how a retailer or company measures their decks.

For example, I have a Quasi AD 8.375 that you'll find listed as "32.25" most places as thats what quasi had on the site but if you measure it tip to tip it's actually 31.75", whereas I have an Antihero Austin Kanfoush deck that's 31.62" tip to tip which is exactly whats printed on the sticker. Any good skate shop will have a tape measure and will be more than happy to let you measure the decks if you want, or if you're shopping online you can always email the company or shop and ask them how they're measuring.

Also don't always trust whats on the label as theres sometimes significant variation in a decks size from manufacturing processes not being totally precise (where its at in the press stack and how its trimmed etc). I just got a WKND that's marked as 8.25" width but its actually closer to 8.38. This is the reason why Rodney Mullen was so adamant about using single deck pressing and cnc when he was setting up dwindle's chinese factory... it should theoretically give you an identical deck every time.

just want to let you know, I stopped buying quasi boards a long time ago, heartbroken every time I saw the board length.I was looking up some shorter board vs longer board threads and seen you're post

Just got off the phone with my local, they measured the board for me 31.75, same board is listed 32.25 by quasi.
thank you sir

dmtr

• Rep: 20
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2022, 07:50:41 AM »
I hope someone can steer me in the right direction with this.

So I rode a Baker team deck 8.25 width - 31.875 length - 14.25 WB and switched it up to a Anti - Hero deck with dimensions 8.5 width - 31.62 length - 14.12 WB.

The wider AH deck felt more comfortable and stable for riding and cruising, but also felt too "far away" for doing tricks. The same feeling I had with the baker.
Too far away as in the deck length was too much, could not keep it close to me. As if my legs are too short too handle the length of the deck when it comes to doing tricks. I don't know if this makes any sense...

Been going to an 8" for a while, but really miss the the feeling and stability of the 8.5.

So I want to go back to the 8.5 or 8.25 ( with Indy 149's ), but never really cared for dimensions other than width. Before I make a choice of whatever deck peaks my interest ( and is on sale ) , I was wondering if someone could help me out with the above. Is their a specific shape I have to look for, to have a deck that is 8.25/8.5 wide but doesn't feels so big ? I reckon WB has a play into this? 

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 07:57:51 AM by dmtr »

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2022, 09:13:10 AM »

Exact same shapes like Antihero black eagle(8.125 x 32 with 14.25 WB and 7 inch nose and 6.75 tail) have Krooked, Real (watch out for occasional shorter 8.125 with 14 wb), Magenta and Polar.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2022, 09:00:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Exact same shapes like Antihero black eagle(8.125 x 32 with 14.25 WB and 7 inch nose and 6.75 tail) have Krooked, Real (watch out for occasional shorter 8.125 with 14 wb), Magenta and Polar.

For sure!

I feel like that shape has been used quite a bit across the BBS range, sometimes listed as 8.125 or just 8.12 in width.

As said already / adding a couple more I have seen in the 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb option:

DLX brands
DGK
Magenta
Polar
Passport
Darkroom
Frog
Skate Mental

Also some Generator / BBS shop boards that use that shape.

Another one I have not seen, but is of those measurements is the Deathwish / Baker B2 8.125

https://bakerskateboards.com/pages/board-construction

Another B2 was not the dimensions listed, so I would say check in person before buying that one online, but anyone seen that one to confirm?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

S.

• SLAP Pal
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2022, 12:37:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes, deluxe is where it‘s at! I have never tried magenta or Polar. I have been hesitant, because they use that jart woodshop.

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2022, 03:45:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yes, deluxe is where it‘s at! I have never tried magenta or Polar. I have been hesitant, because they use that jart woodshop.

Magenta and Polar are also BBS.
Exact same shape as DLX decks (some small differences depending where deck was in the stack while being pressed or order of colored plies).

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2022, 03:51:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For sure!

I feel like that shape has been used quite a bit across the BBS range, sometimes listed as 8.125 or just 8.12 in width.

As said already / adding a couple more I have seen in the 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb option:

DLX brands
DGK
Magenta
Polar
Passport
Darkroom
Frog
Skate Mental

Also some Generator / BBS shop boards that use that shape.

Another one I have not seen, but is of those measurements is the Deathwish / Baker B2 8.125

https://bakerskateboards.com/pages/board-construction

Another B2 was not the dimensions listed, so I would say check in person before buying that one online, but anyone seen that one to confirm?

Baker\Deathwish B2 with 8.125 and 14.25 wb is different than usual BBS 8.125x32 decks, more mellow with more full nose and tail. Also deck that I tried Deathwish 8.125 with Ron Chatman Clown graphics was bit shorter, like 31.9 or so and not really 32 inch long. Very small difference in length but it might bother some people.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2022, 02:53:11 PM »

Baker\Deathwish B2 with 8.125 and 14.25 wb is different than usual BBS 8.125x32 decks, more mellow with more full nose and tail. Also deck that I tried Deathwish 8.125 with Ron Chatman Clown graphics was bit shorter, like 31.9 or so and not really 32 inch long. Very small difference in length but it might bother some people.

Thanks!

Good to know.

I feel like every other place has different measurements for the Baker or more so Deathwish decks, but never really see them in person.

Their 8.5s are the usual BBS size and shape, as well as the 8.38s which are still the same as DLX, which is the size I ride nowdays - 8.38 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb, but other sizes and shapes are different in their range.

I used to ride the old black eagle for a number of years though, hence the interest in the 8.12 size boards.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.