Author Topic: Skateboarding Ruined My Life.  (Read 6455 times)

plastic bench nerd

Re: Skateboarding Ruined My Life.
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2007, 11:21:02 AM »
though it sounds corny, the simple act of riding a skateboard has improved my life several times do to the freedom and happieness it brings.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2007, 05:34:13 PM »
I thought about quitting before.  The most serious bout was after my first year in college.  I told one of the kids I had sort of mentored in skateboarding and he was really bummed (he had just gotten on flow for Real).  I had forgotten so easily all the fun we had together because I felt like I had to "grow up".  I mean, my buddy was on the verge of tears because I was going to quit and thankfully he didn't hold anything back.  I reflected on what he had to say and I realized that it was too late for me to turn back and quitting was stupid.  This was about 14 years ago.  Now, my wife makes me go out skating.  She knows it keeps me sane and focused.  My daughter asks to watch skateboarding videos.  I can sense the envy in my co-workers and relatives because I am still doing something I love, and  I skate with their kids, and they have a respect for me their parents can't earn.  I'm one of them even though I may be 3 times their age.  They think I can relate to them better than their parents.  I guess I do.

Oh, if I never started skateboarding, I would have probably gotten jumped into a gang, and ended up in prison like most of my friends I went to elementary school with.  It was only a matter of time.

“Skaters are rebels” Reggie Barnes
“…If we create campaigns trying to sway skateboarders they will possibly rebel against it and go even more to non branded boards”

JoshEwUhh

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2007, 11:42:19 PM »
I have a great job that I am at 10hrs a day mon-fri, an awesome girlfriend who lives with me, and a nice car.
I also skate everyday.

I don't know how i'm managing it all.

But i feel balanced.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2007, 06:55:02 AM »
That's my problem, I want the wife and car and good times, along with skating.  But I just can't bring myself to get into a career I don't care about.

Here's a hypathetical for you.

Let's say that someone in your family came into a lot of wealth. A distant relative or someone like that. Now let's say this person came to you and said, I will give you everything you need in life but I have one requirement. I need for you to be productive an average of 6 hours a day for 5 days a week. He\she doesn't care what you stay productive with. You could learn to carve wood. You could do some research. You can get other involved if you like. Just whatever you want to do that is productive (i.e. no partying during this time, sober and focused). But if you live up to this obligation then you will have the things you need taken care of.

Would you go for it?

So then what would you do with that time each day? The point is to find something that wouldn't be boring and that would be enjoyable for you.

It's the same question your facing now but with one more restriction, must make money.

There are a lot of satisfying, fullfilling things that you can do during the day that pay a decent wage. Things that you wouldn't do if you didn't have too, but that you don't mind because it's interesting or satisfying to you in someway.

golgo13

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2007, 08:58:39 AM »
Without skateboarding i would be lost.  started at a time when not many were skating, i missed the big boom by 4 years.I was into it but not so good. I stuck with it thought and it gave me something to focus on. in 1990 my mom passed away from cancer and i was destroyed, but skateboarding was there anytime, I put so much emotion and energy into it, without something like skating i could have easily turned to hard drugs, crime or taken my life. I t was a hard time but it helped shape who i am today.
My life today is much different, I run a small shop 4-5 days a week 11-7, i have most saturdays,sunda and monday off. i workout, run, donate my time when i can and skate 5+ days a week.   i never slowed down or stopped and i never will. i have other distractions now but  for the most part i am 90% skateboarder. i know it isnt a lifiestyle for everyone but it works for me. i owe alot to skating.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2007, 11:40:57 AM »
Skateboarding has been great and destructive for me. I live with 4 other kids who skate, and skate all the time. When we all hang out, we watch skateboard videos together. The thing is, it totally alienates me from so much of the population. Meet a pretty girl, probably will end up talking about skating with her, and she generally isn't into it. Maybe if I'm lucky it ends with "lets hang out this weekend."  The weekend turns out to be beautiful, and I never call her, but instead ride my skateboard. Don't want a job where I don't have some free time to skate. Fuck a career, I know its possible to find time to skate with a heavy job, but its harder.
That is the negative I guess. Now the positive. Most kids I went to college with ended up aimless, so instead of enjoying the period of their life when nobody tells them what they have to do, and the only person they are responsible for is themself, they got all yuppie and started focusing on getting money so they can get wasted on the weekend, have nice stuff (I believe fight club called it "the ikea nesting instinct"), and have the money to get away from time to time. Me, on the other hand, I got a job that doesn't give me much money, but it gives me enough to get by, and now I am free to do what I want. Its not boring because I skate. I moved to San Francisco (for better or for worse) because of the skatespots, and now I get to live my childhood dreams. When shit goes wrong, I always have my skateboard. Girl just broke up with me? Bomb a hill. Rough day at work? go skate some ledges. Shit, skating is my medicine. I remember I used to live with 5 other people in a house, none of them skated. ONe time I was out for like a month with an injury, and at the end of the time my roommate told me "you gotta get back on your board, your get fucking crazy when you haven't skated." Its my therapy, my meditation, my release, my exercise (I have a sneaking suspicion that if I didn't skate I'd be a total fatass), and my joy. Has it fucked with certain aspects of my life? Yep. But in the end. It's all worth it
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2007, 12:46:57 PM »
definitely therapy and exercise. also, for me it gives me the ability to not get bored without having to rely on friends. what I mean is if I go to some out of town family obligation in some bullshit town then I can still bring my shoes and slip out with my ipod and go kill a few hours. worst case spend a few bucks on beer. it great like that.

you can balance career, college, wife and skating if you want too. I am curently doing it. You just have to be open with your woman in the begining about who you are. Most guys have some non-girl hobby that has them away from the nest (golf, hunting, sports bars, etc...). It's just a lot of guys let their women dominate them. Spend 10 bucks a week on flowers and you will be amazed at how cool your girl will be about letting you do your thing.

my wife hated me skating at first. she got to where she tolerated it and now I think she might even take some pride in it. as her girl friends date these weirdo middle aged guys, I think she likes having a guy who has something that he is into other than sports and hunting. I think it's also important that I have other things that I am into that aren't skating that I am also passionate about. If it was 100% skating and shooting out of town on skate road trips all the time, be pretty hard to balance that out.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2007, 02:35:31 PM »
Oh, and it also makes living in expensive places cheap.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2007, 02:55:15 PM »
Life ruined my skateboarding.

FOURS

• Rep: 0
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2007, 03:49:16 PM »
"on point. i always wonder what people who dont skate do with there time. girls probly do boring shit like go on msn and gossip, and when you consider shopping fun then you dont know the meaning of fun. guys probly work on there cars or some shit, or unfun shit like lift weights. when i go to bars (which is rarely cause id rather be skating on a weekend) and look around me and just think, fuck i wouldnt want to talk to any of these people. "yah im into top 40 tracks, i got them on repeat on my ipod, i also like watching good movies like norbit and shit, and ohh yah i love lacrose, city champs 2005 baby". yah so skatings kept me back from hookin up with sum hawt x-tina look alikes, but at the end of the day who cares cause they will dump you for some chaz who can bench press 20 more pounds then you"

That has to be the most regular thing ever. Just because other people aren't into skating, doesn't make them 'fags' or whatever else you want to call them. Skating is a HOBBIE. People have different hobbies. Sadly you don't understand that theres more then one hobbie for people. I play hockey and skate, but I guess since I play hockey i'm now a jock right? kids like you are what's wrong with skating and your fucking judging people without even knowing them just because they don't skate and do other things.

nice weather

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 533
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2007, 03:51:07 PM »
I had a shitty day skating, this thread helped me love it again 6 hours earlier than usual.

jrock

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2007, 04:17:51 PM »
"on point. i always wonder what people who dont skate do with there time. girls probly do boring shit like go on msn and gossip, and when you consider shopping fun then you dont know the meaning of fun. guys probly work on there cars or some shit, or unfun shit like lift weights. when i go to bars (which is rarely cause id rather be skating on a weekend) and look around me and just think, fuck i wouldnt want to talk to any of these people. "yah im into top 40 tracks, i got them on repeat on my ipod, i also like watching good movies like norbit and shit, and ohh yah i love lacrose, city champs 2005 baby". yah so skatings kept me back from hookin up with sum hawt x-tina look alikes, but at the end of the day who cares cause they will dump you for some chaz who can bench press 20 more pounds then you"

That has to be the most regular thing ever. Just because other people aren't into skating, doesn't make them 'fags' or whatever else you want to call them. Skating is a HOBBIE. People have different hobbies. Sadly you don't understand that theres more then one hobbie for people. I play hockey and skate, but I guess since I play hockey i'm now a jock right? kids like you are what's wrong with skating and your fucking judging people without even knowing them just because they don't skate and do other things.

i think you're missing the point and taking it a little too personally.  and stamp collecting is a hobby, i think skating is a little more than that, but maybe that's just me...

Edward Penishands

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2007, 04:22:44 PM »

if you have ever chosen hockey over skateboarding...........you are a jock.

tis boot time da wings won a champinchip, eh?

biggums mcgee

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2007, 04:31:04 PM »
Skateboarding has been great and destructive for me. I live with 4 other kids who skate, and skate all the time. When we all hang out, we watch skateboard videos together. The thing is, it totally alienates me from so much of the population. Meet a pretty girl, probably will end up talking about skating with her, and she generally isn't into it. Maybe if I'm lucky it ends with "lets hang out this weekend."  The weekend turns out to be beautiful, and I never call her, but instead ride my skateboard. Don't want a job where I don't have some free time to skate. Fuck a career, I know its possible to find time to skate with a heavy job, but its harder.
That is the negative I guess. Now the positive. Most kids I went to college with ended up aimless, so instead of enjoying the period of their life when nobody tells them what they have to do, and the only person they are responsible for is themself, they got all yuppie and started focusing on getting money so they can get wasted on the weekend, have nice stuff (I believe fight club called it "the ikea nesting instinct"), and have the money to get away from time to time. Me, on the other hand, I got a job that doesn't give me much money, but it gives me enough to get by, and now I am free to do what I want. Its not boring because I skate. I moved to San Francisco (for better or for worse) because of the skatespots, and now I get to live my childhood dreams. When shit goes wrong, I always have my skateboard. Girl just broke up with me? Bomb a hill. Rough day at work? go skate some ledges. Shit, skating is my medicine. I remember I used to live with 5 other people in a house, none of them skated. ONe time I was out for like a month with an injury, and at the end of the time my roommate told me "you gotta get back on your board, your get fucking crazy when you haven't skated." Its my therapy, my meditation, my release, my exercise (I have a sneaking suspicion that if I didn't skate I'd be a total fatass), and my joy. Has it fucked with certain aspects of my life? Yep. But in the end. It's all worth it

you're my new hero.

FOURS

• Rep: 0
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2007, 05:44:56 PM »
shit eh, I guess you can't fit into the skate crowd if you have more then one hobby. I guess if you do anything else at any point in your life besides skate, you're not a skater.

Edward Penishands

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2007, 06:08:25 PM »
shit eh, I guess you can't fit into the skate crowd if you have more then one hobby. I guess if you do anything else at any point in your life besides skate, you're not a skater.

bingo

cahl

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2007, 06:34:50 PM »
kids i know who don't skate either
a)drink
b)do drugs
c)work their asses off on some shitty job
d)play video games
e)or play guitar hero

biggums mcgee

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2007, 06:36:35 PM »
a)drink
b)do drugs
d)play video games
e)or play guitar hero

cool you don't associate with jocks man!

cahl

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2007, 06:43:08 PM »
like i'm friends with three and they drink.

fine

f)play sports

mostly f now that i think about it

cold budweisers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2007, 08:18:34 PM »
a)drink
b)do drugs
d)play video games
e)or play guitar hero

i do all this shit

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2007, 08:52:21 PM »

im just gashing on the people who have no hobbies. ive talked to plenty of people who played hockey and havent held it against them, at least they have got a hobbie and are spending there time usefully. its the people who just watch mtv and go clubbing that i have a knack with, they dont do anything all week (just working at some job they hate) only to have 10 hours of "fun" at some bar and end up going home without getting any sweet pussy and fight because of it
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

fumblebag

• Rep: -2
  • Gesundheit
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2007, 02:46:03 PM »
Expand Quote
a)drink
b)do drugs
d)play video games
e)or play guitar hero

[close]
i do all this shit

word, most people have fun other things to do besides skate.

Next we're going to start hearing, "if you have a girlfriend, you're wasting your time going to nice dinners and weekend trips when you could be skating." or "don't build a record collection because you can't take it with you to the skatepark."

I think that, while skateboarding is in my blood by now, I've gotten to the point where I can feel comfortable deciding not to skate for a few days in order to pursue other things.  Like, instead of bitching and moaning about the rainy days and stressing to find a rain spot and hassling people for a ride like I used to (I'm not dogging it, everybody gets to that point sometimes), I try to do my laundry, download music, buy magazines that I need to look through for class... Handle my business. Even on sunny warm days, sometimes I'd rather just lay around in the park with my friends.

I've got a LOT of homework all the time, too, for my classes in a major where I'm truly inspired and focused.  Who would honestly tell me that I should be skating more? 

I've realized that I'm never going to be a professional skateboarder (I couldn't handle that lifestyle anyways), so I've gotta enjoy my skateboarding and enjoy my career 'cause they're very very different things.

I guess I'm a jock or a fag or something haha, that's cool though.  Jocks get bitches, from what I've heard.

p.s. i do that in the bath sometimes. its fun to do it when you have a woody allen. when you open your legs up, your stick goes straight up, as if it wants to go to heaven.  - quote from guess who.

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2007, 03:11:36 PM »
if you have a girlfriend, you're wasting your time going to nice dinners and weekend trips when you could be skating. don't build a record collection because you can't take it with you to the skatepark.
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

Edward Penishands

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2007, 05:56:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a)drink
b)do drugs
d)play video games
e)or play guitar hero

[close]
i do all this shit
[close]

Next we're going to start hearing, "if you have a girlfriend, you're wasting your time going to nice dinners and weekend trips when you could be skating." or "don't build a record collection because you can't take it with you to the skatepark."

I think that, while skateboarding is in my blood by now, I've gotten to the point where I can feel comfortable deciding not to skate for a few days in order to pursue other things.  Like, instead of bitching and moaning about the rainy days and stressing to find a rain spot and hassling people for a ride like I used to (I'm not dogging it, everybody gets to that point sometimes), I try to do my laundry, download music, buy magazines that I need to look through for class... Handle my business. Even on sunny warm days, sometimes I'd rather just lay around in the park with my friends.

I've got a LOT of homework all the time, too, for my classes in a major where I'm truly inspired and focused.  Who would honestly tell me that I should be skating more? 

I've realized that I'm never going to be a professional skateboarder (I couldn't handle that lifestyle anyways), so I've gotta enjoy my skateboarding and enjoy my career 'cause they're very very different things.

I guess I'm a jock or a fag or something haha, that's cool though.  Jocks get bitches, from what I've heard.

this is the point where you hang up your board forever and plan on that 401k

Evil Kraken from the Arctic Sea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Hi SlapPal!
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2007, 03:17:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a)drink
b)do drugs
d)play video games
e)or play guitar hero

[close]
i do all this shit
[close]

Next we're going to start hearing, "if you have a girlfriend, you're wasting your time going to nice dinners and weekend trips when you could be skating."

Real Tr00 SK8teRz Are NeRdz and dont get girlfriends anyway!
I'll go frontside on some tranny for you.

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2007, 03:33:09 AM »
yep! single for almost a year. why do guys who don't skate get all the girls?even the ones with the corduroy jackets  :o

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2007, 04:16:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a)drink
b)do drugs
d)play video games
e)or play guitar hero

[close]
i do all this shit
[close]

I don't think you have to go and call yourself a jock because you have a life outside of skating. Once you realize that you aren't going to be a professional skateboarder, it's time to make sure you will be a professional at something. For me it's as much a part of life as high school, buying your first car, etc... I never was able be professional skateboarder but I was able to do so as a programmer which is something that I enjoy and am passonate about. My experience has been that getting my career on track and having balance in my life has helped me enjoy skating more.

All this assumes your career goal isn't sales, in which case you are most certainly a jock...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2007, 07:44:29 AM »
why would a sales job make you a jock?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2007, 08:14:35 AM »
No offense to sales guys but that's just my experience in the work place.

At my first job out of school, if you got out on the sales floor it felt like you were stepping into a J Crew catelog eventhough the company didn't enforce a dress code and obviously when clients are visiting you have to dress a little above J Crew so that was what these guys liked wearing, not what they had too.

In the tech companies I have found a lot more buffalo wings, sports bar, golf on the weekends kinds of guys on the sales floor and you will find more extreme fighting, car racing, skate boarding, water polo, etc... non-big sport type hobbie having guys on the tech floors. When I was in high school it would have mapped to sales guys = jocks and tech guys = band nerds, skaters, outcast, etc...

Management is a bit of a mixed bag but seems to be going to women a lot these days. HR, Accounting, etc... would be your sorority chics (I guess they were just sluts in highschool, not sure). IT guys are probably your gammers, DJs and guys who had rediculous stereo's in their cars that they put in their themselves.

It's gross generalization but my wife and I talk about it matter of factly all the time as her experience has been the same.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2007, 10:13:21 AM »

You can have another hobby, but the board has to preapprove it. Acceptable hobbies include graffiti, getting high, and other cool dude type activities. Trying rollerblading immediately results in the loss of your skateboarder card. You must return it within 48 hours of your 'blading being public knowledge. Just ask Josh Kasper.