Author Topic: Are GX boards supposed to be tapered?  (Read 2947 times)

a

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
Are GX boards supposed to be tapered?
« on: February 27, 2020, 08:38:11 AM »
Bought an 8.5 gx board, its 8.5 across the front truck but 8.25 across the back truck??
Are they all like this? or did I just get a defected board?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
Re: Are GX boards supposed to be tapered?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 09:07:45 AM »
PS stix boards tend to taper not all but some.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 09:17:13 AM »
Mini Logos used to be like that back in the day like in 2006 or something, well at least their 7.75 shape did (hell they might still be, I wouldn’t know). I always thought it was so weird, couldn’t get used to it. Was 7.75 in the front and tapered to like a 7.6 once it reached the back. Luckily I let my friend borrow my board to try to ollie this rock gap and he snapped the tail so I had an excuse to buy a new board, I was hyped.

Stephens Lawyer

• Rep: 139
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 09:34:54 AM »
my favorite quasi/wknd shape was like that but then they stopped doing the taper much to my fuckin chagrin.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1191
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 09:42:03 AM »
Yeah it was actually because they heard you have great chagrin and wanted to see it it measured up.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 10:16:41 AM »
I actually prefer all my decks to be tapered. Can't do full shaped decks at all.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

JB77

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 02:36:20 AM »
I had the first series Guy Mariano Numbers deck when it came out and it was tapered like you're talking about.  It kind of threw me off at first, too.  Polar's Arigato shape does that, but with a more squared off nose and tail.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 02:48:55 AM »
PS has like 10,000 shapes, and yes a lot of them are tapered. Most popsicle decks have some degree of taper. If you want a deck with little to no taper some good ones are the DLX Full shapes, or if you want to skate PS wood then the standard wknd shapes are pretty full or the new Scumco Dave Abair and Brian Downey decks are both pretty full, especially in the nose.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 03:59:12 AM »
GX uses the Quasi shapes. And in my experience they do tend to taper
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 04:17:49 AM »
Paul did mentioned the gx dudes visited his workshop, i guess they wanted it like that for hillbombing purposes?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 05:19:56 AM »
I actually prefer all my decks to be tapered. Can't do full shaped decks at all.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 04:15:35 PM »
hate to bump but are all gx boards yellow top ply? I hate yellow top ply and have yet to see one that wasnt yellow top

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

sadnocomply

• Rep: 137
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 05:08:50 PM »
hate to bump but are all gx boards yellow top ply? I hate yellow top ply and have yet to see one that wasnt yellow top
But...but...yellow is the best plyyyyy  :-[ magenta a close second

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 07:55:27 PM »
why do people care about ply color

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 08:00:41 PM »
My son is all about Pokemon GX cards. His favorite is Mew two

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 08:02:23 PM »

It’s the most important part of the deck for me. That’s no joke. Black/Grey. Brown. Dark blue or purple. Not much else unless it’s dark.  Never ever yellow or red. Pink. Natural. Dipped. Nothing light.
More important than a graphic is the stain.

sadnocomply

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 08:16:06 PM »

to answer your question, my green pablo 8.3 GX has a blue top ply! but you’re right I only see yellows out there.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 11:04:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s the most important part of the deck for me. That’s no joke. Black/Grey. Brown. Dark blue or purple. Not much else unless it’s dark.  Never ever yellow or red. Pink. Natural. Dipped. Nothing light.
More important than a graphic is the stain.

Thats funny i agree with all of that except for red and pink. Red and pink i prefer, but if not ill settle. When it comes to yellow green natural and dipped thats a hard pass for me

Expand Quote
[close]

to answer your question, my green pablo 8.3 GX has a blue top ply! but you’re right I only see yellows out there.

Dude I was so hyped when my local got the gx stuff, but everything was yellow. Hopefully they get that Pablo one in

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2020, 11:07:35 AM »

Mainly preference, but for me personally i dont have a ton of board control, but moreso muscle memory and memory in general. Everything takes a few minutes to get use to but when certain colors are popping up it bugs me

sadnocomply

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 01:44:58 PM »
Going to bump this bad boi because I want to acknowledge & appreciate how bitchin the 8.25 GX shape is. The nose is usually around 6.875 long and the tail 6.6 long and the square shape just agrees with me. It’s my true ATV setup deck of choice. The front truck is true 8.25 and tapers down to 8.125 on the back trucks. Two and a half fingers of flat at the nose and two fingers of flat at the tails. I have tried this shape on 144, 149 indys, 5.2, 5.6, 5.8 ventures all being great in their own aspect. I’m pretty sure quasi uses this same shape on their 8.25 models as well since my JJ, AD, De Keyzer all have the same dimensions.

I have noticed some GX having more of a shovel nose than the quasi but those should be the older models labeled “horror movie, no floor, og logo”.

The newer GX boards labeled “bunny, party pack, Mr bill” have more of the rounder but still square nose instead of the “shovel nose” like the older models mentioned above. They probably came from the same acid theme of presses Quasi just used for their “acid ply” decks so I’m stoked to have so many decks on hand that are the same shapes and molds. Here’s to upping my consistency  8)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2020, 01:59:02 PM »
Going to bump this bad boi because I want to acknowledge & appreciate how bitchin the 8.25 GX shape is. The nose is usually around 6.875 long and the tail 6.6 long and the square shape just agrees with me. It’s my true ATV setup deck of choice. The front truck is true 8.25 and tapers down to 8.125 on the back trucks. Two and a half fingers of flat at the nose and two fingers of flat at the tails. I have tried this shape on 144, 149 indys, 5.2, 5.6, 5.8 ventures all being great in their own aspect. I’m pretty sure quasi uses this same shape on their 8.25 models as well since my JJ, AD, De Keyzer all have the same dimensions.

I have noticed some GX having more of a shovel nose than the quasi but those should be the older models labeled “horror movie, no floor, og logo”.

The newer GX boards labeled “bunny, party pack, Mr bill” have more of the rounder but still square nose instead of the “shovel nose” like the older models mentioned above. They probably came from the same acid theme of presses Quasi just used for their “acid ply” decks so I’m stoked to have so many decks on hand that are the same shapes and molds. Here’s to upping my consistency  8)

Im skating an 8” ps stix (strangelove) and I love it. Of course I don’t see many 8” ps boards, so 8.125 gx is looking close enough. Those news graphics are ill. What’s the wb on the board you are mentioning? I’m hoping for something less than 32” in length tip to tip. Latest drop looks sick

sadnocomply

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 02:39:07 PM »
Yeah forgot to mention it has a 14.25 wheelbase and it’s a hair under 32 long so like 31.875.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2020, 02:57:08 PM »
Yeah forgot to mention it has a 14.25 wheelbase and it’s a hair under 32 long so like 31.875.

Sounds ideal thanks!

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2020, 03:07:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Im skating an 8” ps stix (strangelove) and I love it. Of course I don’t see many 8” ps boards, so 8.125 gx is looking close enough. Those news graphics are ill. What’s the wb on the board you are mentioning? I’m hoping for something less than 32” in length tip to tip. Latest drop looks sick

strange that the 8" are listed at 14.25WB while the 8.125" is 14.125"

sadnocomply

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2020, 03:30:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah I don’t really understand that one with Quasi/GX. I have never had the 8x32.375 shape but I have had the 8.1x31.75 and it’s more like 31.5 in length with a 14.125 wb like you mentioned. Really enjoyed the 8.1 for ledges/flat it’s a compact booger that’s for sure, think of a DLX 8.06 full se for comparison.

I think 32.125 if the max length I’ll buy for PS since I know it’ll be 31.875 with my measurement.

I think with the PS boards you gotta subtract a quarter inch on the length since they measure differently than us tip to tip measurers haha

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2020, 04:19:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Yeah I don’t really understand that one with Quasi/GX. I have never had the 8x32.375 shape but I have had the 8.1x31.75 and it’s more like 31.5 in length with a 14.125 wb like you mentioned. Really enjoyed the 8.1 for ledges/flat it’s a compact booger that’s for sure, think of a DLX 8.06 full se for comparison.

I think 32.125 if the max length I’ll buy for PS since I know it’ll be 31.875 with my measurement.

I think with the PS boards you gotta subtract a quarter inch on the length since they measure differently than us tip to tip measurers haha

Sometimes I see their board lengths and I forget and get thrown off.
I’m starting to think total length of the board might be just as important as wb, for me. Possibly more so. More info needed for me to claim so bold.
Funny that you mention the dlx 8.06, was considering throwing caution and getting one of those even tho most have too long of a wb.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »
ever since I found out yesterday that GX1000 makes an 8” I want one.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -423
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2020, 08:55:41 PM »
They really do use quasi shape. If you've ridden the proto you've ridden the GX logo board and some go more by the Jake Johnson shapes too which I love. And yes slightly tapered.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2020, 05:30:10 AM »
My 8.25 GX board was the worst board I’ve ever had in 21 years of skating. I have never had a board where I said “I can’t skate this shit”. I stopped skating it after three days.

Shape combined with the taper, and the soft, flexy wood did not work for me at all. Went back to a year-old beaten up Chapman board that felt much stiffer.

sadnocomply

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2020, 07:37:24 AM »
^^^ #notmyGX