Author Topic: What was the last video game you played?  (Read 574631 times)

Dojsha Abuser and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2045
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: What was the last video game you played?
« Reply #5310 on: June 19, 2024, 07:13:32 PM »
Only issue I am having with the ITX case/ build ...It gets fucking hot...The cpu and gpu thermals are normal, but it being a small case conducts the heat to the case...Leaving the case open gives me a 10 deg drop

I've seen some crazy builds on r/SFFPC and Optimum Tech's channel where they stick AIO with custom loops in a 10L case which is over the top madness. I've got a 120mm AIO in my 8L case which is kind of silly since a regular air cooler would have performed similarly.

But back to gaming:
I'm a sucker for handhelds so I got myself a used Odin 2 for Switch, Gamecube and Wii emulation. Got the Paper Mario series on deck.
https://youtu.be/q8f19jWUVVE?si=l8gEuIIaN6xJsyRA
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88Ē - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85Ē- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09Ē - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04Ē - 51.82m

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5311 on: June 19, 2024, 07:20:32 PM »
Now is a good time to build a PC (anything beat COVID and mining days), even better if you source for used parts. Hell you can do a Ryzen APU build and get very respectable performance for esports titles and even some AAA games.

And ITX builds are the best, less desk space and most case manufacturers have accommodated builds for longer GPUs, though you will still need to deal with ITX tax. With @Abyss1 build you can go with go with 32GB of RAM and use the leftover money for a 1080p monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Or if you're feeling extra thrifty you can pick up a used Dell / Lenovo tower PC for cheap on eBay (depreciated corporate equipment), upgrade the RAM and slap in a 1060 and you're up and running.

Went to Best Buy tonight and got some sticker shock.

Based on your recommendations (Ryzen 7 Series processor/32 GB RAM) the least expensive unit I saw was IBuyPower and the build quality was unimpressive to say the least. I would not buy something like that to save some coin.

Of all the units I looked at I thought the Lenovo Legion looked the best for the price. The plastic used was of good quality and the fit and finish was top notch.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/desktops/legion-desktops/legion-t-series-towers/legion-tower-5-gen-8-(26l,-amd)/90ux0014us?orgRef=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F&cid=us:sem%7Cse%7Cgoogle%7Cpmax_gaming%7C%7C%7C90UX0014US%7C17611334295%7C%7C%7Cshopping%7Cmix%7Cgaming&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn83xzozphgMVyk1HAR0RWAxSEAQYASABEgL0G_D_BwE

So, do we think that this is a gaming system that could last a young man from 12-16? I feel like he could use this system to learn what he wants to do when he decides to build his own system. He seems most impressed by being able to see inside the system and I donít know that he knows or cares much about the guts. Again, he is mostly into Fortnight and does not play first person shooter games.

Also, what determines frames per second and what is a good amount to look for to prevent lag?

Another detail is that he has to access Fortnight from a server because his computer does not have Microsoft so maybe just having Windows on a computer improve the lag.

Thanks again you and @Abyss1

I am unfamiliar with technology items so the help has saved me hours of sleuthing.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5312 on: June 19, 2024, 09:01:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Now is a good time to build a PC (anything beat COVID and mining days), even better if you source for used parts. Hell you can do a Ryzen APU build and get very respectable performance for esports titles and even some AAA games.

And ITX builds are the best, less desk space and most case manufacturers have accommodated builds for longer GPUs, though you will still need to deal with ITX tax. With @Abyss1 build you can go with go with 32GB of RAM and use the leftover money for a 1080p monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Or if you're feeling extra thrifty you can pick up a used Dell / Lenovo tower PC for cheap on eBay (depreciated corporate equipment), upgrade the RAM and slap in a 1060 and you're up and running.
[close]

Based on your recommendations (Ryzen 7 Series processor/32 GB RAM) the least expensive unit I saw was IBuyPower and the build quality was unimpressive to say the least. I would not buy something like that to save some coin.

Of all the units I looked at I thought the Lenovo Legion looked the best for the price. The plastic used was of good quality and the fit and finish was top notch.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/desktops/legion-desktops/legion-t-series-towers/legion-tower-5-gen-8-(26l,-amd)/90ux0014us?orgRef=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F&cid=us:sem%7Cse%7Cgoogle%7Cpmax_gaming%7C%7C%7C90UX0014US%7C17611334295%7C%7C%7Cshopping%7Cmix%7Cgaming&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn83xzozphgMVyk1HAR0RWAxSEAQYASABEgL0G_D_BwE

So, do we think that this is a gaming system that could last a young man from 12-16? I feel like he could use this system to learn what he wants to do when he decides to build his own system. He seems most impressed by being able to see inside the system and I donít know that he knows or cares much about the guts. Again, he is mostly into Fortnight and does not play first person shooter games.

Also, what determines frames per second and what is a good amount to look for to prevent lag?

Another detail is that he has to access Fortnight from a server because his computer does not have Microsoft so maybe just having Windows on a computer improve the lag.

I am unfamiliar with technology items so the help has saved me hours of sleuthing.

Yup ticks a lot of the boxes IMO:
- mid range processor and GPU
- the motherboard is AM5 so it will support a CPU upgrade down the road
- 16GB is RAM is good enough for now, 2 of 4 slots available and can be upgraded down the line
- 512 SSD is plenty with slots for more storage if needed
- it's a standard tower PC so he won't have trouble upgrading individual parts down the road (power supply, fans)

You can probably get a slightly better deal if you wait around for a sale but he likes the look and you're a busy parent, so it's a go in my books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LuPEFuTaIs&ab_channel=UnboxingPlus

It looks like the mouse and keyboard come with the PC so you don't have to worry about that, decent for him to get started and he can get better ones later.

You will need to consider a monitor if you don't already have one. A simple 24" 1080p monitor is good enough, they output a standard 60hz but gaming monitors do up to 180hz and above for a smoother gaming experience (less screen tearing). But it's one of those thing that you don't notice until it's pointed out to you. This one ain't too bad for $129.99 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-xf243y-23-8-ips-lcd-180hz-freesync-monitor-hdmi-dp-black/6555709.p?skuId=6555709)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKjI4CYThjg&ab_channel=TheTechChap

As to what determine good FPS (frames per second) it depends on the individual games, looks like in Fortnite the CPU does a lot of the heavy lifting vs the GPU, but the one in the Lenovo pre-built will far outperform his Chromebook. A lot of "performance" is based on comparison, the pre-build will be miles better than the Chromebook, but pale in comparison to someone's top end build.

Similar build with a slightly better CPU, easily pushing over 100fps which is really good for competitive shooters like Fortnite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4lVpCg9cmg&ab_channel=MNBenchmarks
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85Ē- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04Ē - 51.82m

Abyss1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #5313 on: June 19, 2024, 11:01:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I like that buildÖim a bit biased towards intel chips due to using them since 90s and i like how the cpu coolers mount with those chips.

Graphics card is premiumÖheres the thing a lot of games dont work well with certain graphics cards or made for those cardsÖits hardware - software driver thing where you may loose fps during updates for games or hardware. But check to see if the game your son plays are are made for that graphics card.  may not even use its features

Also youll need to get a decent monitor that can work with a gpuÖand gaming keyboard and mouse. 

The computer is good because the cpu and gpu or fans cooling options can be replaced when the stock parts reach the end of their usefulnesses which is about 4yrsÖthat gpu should last for longer but hear those get really hot too

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #5314 on: June 20, 2024, 04:07:13 AM »
The last video game I played was Fortnite. I used to play it a lot as a teenager, and recently, I decided to jump back in. It's still a lot of fun, but I noticed that getting banned seems to happen more often now, which can be really frustrating.

Luckily, there have been a lot of new tools developed to help with this issue. I found a solution by buying a Fortnite HWID spoofer for 35 euros for the whole month. This spoofer has helped keep my account safe, letting me enjoy the game without worrying about getting banned.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 05:51:22 AM by brucewillis »

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • HANNIBAL!!
« Reply #5315 on: June 20, 2024, 09:14:30 AM »
For those on ps5 or PC that like Radiohead, this is a free download and a crazy experience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHlAFAaHjIs

lydius

• Rep: 47
« Reply #5316 on: June 21, 2024, 01:57:58 PM »
Playing the recompiled Majora's Mask. Runs smoth as fuck, haven't noticed any graphic glitches playing it widescreen. No sound issues too.
I tried getting that to work, but it wasn't having it with my Intel HD 530 basic-ass GPU. Tried updating Windows and installing most updated drivers and still nada. Thankfully Ship of Harkinian 2 dropped a few days later and just like the first one, works flawlessly. Too bad I just think MM is a worse game in many respects so I'm not playing it atm. Even back in the day, I felt like I needed a guide to help me figure out where to go and what to do. The game is too cryptic for its own good.

For normal Ship, I downloaded the HD texture pack (OoT Reloaded) and an .otr file with a bunch more audio tracks to use in randomizer and I'm really digging it. also turned on equip bunny hood as adult and it makes a world of difference with the pace of things.

Weeb_poser

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5317 on: June 22, 2024, 06:14:31 AM »
Dragon's Dogma 2 and having a blast playing as a mystic spearhand

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #5318 on: July 05, 2024, 09:45:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Keep in mind the case does nothing for you, and they can be easily swapped. What's on the inside is what matters. The quality and appearance of the plastics used does not effect the user experience or performance. What looks the best is in no way a correlation to what performs the best.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 01:58:44 PM by Theme For A Jackal »

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
« Reply #5319 on: July 05, 2024, 04:57:25 PM »
Yakuza Infinite Wealth, then I have a whole backlog of shit to get through.

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #5320 on: July 06, 2024, 01:12:15 AM »
just started the elden ring dlc. hyped.

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #5321 on: July 06, 2024, 01:15:32 AM »
"grow home" also.

what a sick game.

theghostofgershonmosley

• Rep: -31
« Reply #5322 on: July 06, 2024, 01:59:45 AM »
Dig Dug. Just fell in love with it again thanks to this little thing Apple TV sized console with like 200.000 games. For 100$

So sick

fingerdeepknuckledeep

• Rep: -24
« Reply #5323 on: July 06, 2024, 04:58:30 PM »
The new Star Wars pinball machine is off the charts.

https://www.flipnoutpinball.com/product-page/star-wars-pro

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #5324 on: July 07, 2024, 08:30:32 AM »
Bought Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator on a Sony sale.

The cel shaded graphics are really cool although it feels like itís essentially the same game as twenty year old Guilty Gear XX. The newer characters are mostly very technical and not very easy to pick up.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • HANNIBAL!!
« Reply #5325 on: July 07, 2024, 08:42:37 AM »
Finished Animal Well. Fun game at < 13 hours if you like Metroid esque maps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfaqL1oQlck

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -244
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5326 on: July 07, 2024, 08:04:14 PM »

The cel shaded graphics are really cool although it feels like itís essentially the same game as twenty year old Guilty Gear XX. The newer characters are mostly very technical and not very easy to pick up.

Nagoriyuki is the worst fighting game boss I've ever faced. Makes SNK bosses look like King Hippo.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #5327 on: July 08, 2024, 10:10:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Keep in mind the case does nothing for you, and they can be easily swapped. What's on the inside is what matters. The quality and appearance of the plastics used does not effect the user experience or performance. What looks the best is in no way a correlation to what performs the best.

Im gonna disagree, as housing is very important if your building your own PC.   You want to get a case that will work for the components you want to install and you want to be able to provide good balanced air flow in and out of the case.   I see many cases with exhaust only or have fans that cut off fresh air supply so the cpu and the gpu get hotter than needed.   (Also not yet on board with water cooling and so I always go with air cooling)

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #5328 on: July 08, 2024, 03:39:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nagoriyuki is the worst fighting game boss I've ever faced. Makes SNK bosses look like King Hippo.

Sounds like a blast! /s

Iím not sure if heís in this one. There might be a true last boss somewhere in this one but so far Iíve only faced regular characters as the last boss.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #5329 on: July 09, 2024, 09:15:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Im gonna disagree, as housing is very important if your building your own PC.   You want to get a case that will work for the components you want to install and you want to be able to provide good balanced air flow in and out of the case.   I see many cases with exhaust only or have fans that cut off fresh air supply so the cpu and the gpu get hotter than needed.   (Also not yet on board with water cooling and so I always go with air cooling)

Sure, but functionality and looks are two different things, and they weren't complaining about the functionality of those cases, just that they didn't look good

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -123
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5330 on: July 10, 2024, 08:09:07 PM »
In the last month I've beaten Sleeping Dogs for the 3rd time, Mirror's Edge for the millionth and have been back and forth between Quake 2 Remastered and Ninja Gaiden. Might fire up the Turok 2 remaster when I'm done with Quake but I have no clue yet, my backlog is massive.

I really hate that Epic shut down all the Unreal Tournament servers. UT98 and Tribes were what got me into arena/twitch shooters and what I have to thank for winning 500$ at a Counter Strike tournament when I was 15.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 96
« Reply #5331 on: July 11, 2024, 01:14:39 AM »
In the last month I've beaten Sleeping Dogs for the 3rd time, Mirror's Edge for the millionth and have been back and forth between Quake 2 Remastered and Ninja Gaiden. Might fire up the Turok 2 remaster when I'm done with Quake but I have no clue yet, my backlog is massive.

I really hate that Epic shut down all the Unreal Tournament servers. UT98 and Tribes were what got me into arena/twitch shooters and what I have to thank for winning 500$ at a Counter Strike tournament when I was 15.

Oh man , Unreal Tournament and UT2 were some of the first arena FPS I ever played thanks to my older brother loving them. I played a lot of them with bots due to us not having broadband until years later but playing those and Quake 2 are early video game memories I cherish.

Has anyone here played the recently released V Rising?

It sounds super appealing but as someone who hasnít really played an isometric RPGs like this (Diablo, Hades) Iím not sure exactly what Iím in for moment to moment?
The idea of building a vampire stronghold /castle and customising it / your character are the main appealing factors but Iíd like to hear from some pals before I drop the money for it? Thereís also like 3 different ďversionsĒ with DLC to chose from and not sure if they are worth the extra bucks.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5332 on: July 11, 2024, 04:07:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sure, but functionality and looks are two different things, and they weren't complaining about the functionality of those cases, just that they didn't look good

@GardenSkater77 did you end up picking a PC up for your son yet? Amazon Prime day is coming up with solid deals online and in-store at Microcenter and Best Buy. Saw a couple of Acer Nitro laptops with mid range specs for under $800 that would be good for your son.

r/buildapcsales is the place to look for good sales - storage (SSDs) are still pricey, pre-built PCs, laptops and monitors have some good deals going on at the moment.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85Ē- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04Ē - 51.82m

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -244
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5333 on: July 11, 2024, 10:49:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sounds like a blast! /s

Iím not sure if heís in this one. There might be a true last boss somewhere in this one but so far Iíve only faced regular characters as the last boss.

I just realized he's in Guilty Gear Strive. I think as a secret boss.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

AlumarX

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5334 on: July 11, 2024, 10:54:19 AM »
I'm running through Final Fantasy VI for the first time. I haven't touched my PC since I got a retro emulator. It's so nice to play not at a desk lol

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5335 on: July 12, 2024, 05:42:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

@GardenSkater77 did you end up picking a PC up for your son yet? Amazon Prime day is coming up with solid deals online and in-store at Microcenter and Best Buy. Saw a couple of Acer Nitro laptops with mid range specs for under $800 that would be good for your son.

r/buildapcsales is the place to look for good sales - storage (SSDs) are still pricey, pre-built PCs, laptops and monitors have some good deals going on at the moment.

Thanks for thinking about my purchase. His birthday is in early August so I was going to buy something next week. I will check those leads out. I showed his the Lenovo unit and he thought it looked cool. His only comment is he thinks the boxes you can see into are cool. I guess they are mostly like that. I saw a curved 24 something inch monitor in Staples this week for around $250 ish. Seemed like a good deal. I also need to get him speakers. All said and done Iím gonna spend about $1,500 which is crazy to me but it donít matter in the long run. Iíd rather he have a good set up than some janky shit that is still over $1,000. Thanks again.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5336 on: July 13, 2024, 12:11:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks for thinking about my purchase. His birthday is in early August so I was going to buy something next week. I will check those leads out. I showed his the Lenovo unit and he thought it looked cool. His only comment is he thinks the boxes you can see into are cool. I guess they are mostly like that. I saw a curved 24 something inch monitor in Staples this week for around $250 ish. Seemed like a good deal. I also need to get him speakers. All said and done Iím gonna spend about $1,500 which is crazy to me but it donít matter in the long run. Iíd rather he have a good set up than some janky shit that is still over $1,000. Thanks again.

Scope out r/buildapcsales, they're going to have loads of sales starting next week for Amazon Prime Day.

I wouldn't bother with a 24" curved monitor, they tend to be cheaper than a flat panel but the screen is too small to have any impact and they use inferior panels (VA vs IPS) which results in a lot of smudging for FPS games like Fortnite. Can't go wrong with a 24" 1080p 144hz monitor for his use case. Don't splurge on 2k or 4k monitors since he will need a stronger PC (CPU and graphics) card to handle the higher resolutions and competitive games like Fortnight value high FPS for smoother gameplay (less choppy and screen tearing) than high fidelity visuals.

For sound you can either go speakers or gaming headset (wired or wireless), I prefer the latter because he will likely use the mic to chat with his friends mid game. Check our HyperX or Logitech ones, they have one for every price range.

All in you should be looking at:
Pre-build PC
24" monitor (1080p, 144hz)
Mouse + keyboard (if the PC doesn't have these included)
Mousepad
Headset / speakers

Don't feel pressured to buy something just because it's Prime Day, even though the deals can be solid since BestBuy and Target has regular deals.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85Ē- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04Ē - 51.82m

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5337 on: July 13, 2024, 07:13:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Scope out r/buildapcsales, they're going to have loads of sales starting next week for Amazon Prime Day.

I wouldn't bother with a 24" curved monitor, they tend to be cheaper than a flat panel but the screen is too small to have any impact and they use inferior panels (VA vs IPS) which results in a lot of smudging for FPS games like Fortnite. Can't go wrong with a 24" 1080p 144hz monitor for his use case. Don't splurge on 2k or 4k monitors since he will need a stronger PC (CPU and graphics) card to handle the higher resolutions and competitive games like Fortnight value high FPS for smoother gameplay (less choppy and screen tearing) than high fidelity visuals.

For sound you can either go speakers or gaming headset (wired or wireless), I prefer the latter because he will likely use the mic to chat with his friends mid game. Check our HyperX or Logitech ones, they have one for every price range.

Pre-build PC
Mousepad
Headset / speakers

Don't feel pressured to buy something just because it's Prime Day, even though the deals can be solid since BestBuy and Target has regular deals.

Thanks for the tip about the monitor. I will get a flat screen. He already has a headset but I want to get him speakers anyway for music listening.

I decided that I am going to buy everything from Best Buy. I like having a brick and mortar I can walk into and talk to someone. Iím going to purchase a week out from his birthday just in case he doesnít like the set up and we can exchange any of the items.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5338 on: July 13, 2024, 09:34:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Pre-build PC
Mousepad
Headset / speakers

[close]

Thanks for the tip about the monitor. I will get a flat screen. He already has a headset but I want to get him speakers anyway for music listening.

I decided that I am going to buy everything from Best Buy. I like having a brick and mortar I can walk into and talk to someone. Iím going to purchase a week out from his birthday just in case he doesnít like the set up and we can exchange any of the items.

Paying a bit extra for zero question asked return policy is worth it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85Ē- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04Ē - 51.82m