Author Topic: What was the last video game you played?  (Read 560334 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: What was the last video game you played?
« Reply #5250 on: April 18, 2024, 06:38:14 PM »
Put a shit ton of hours into fallout 3 and new Vegas... might have to check the show out.

Seriously considering buying a steam deck. I'm itchin to play fallout 1 and 2.

My colleague brought his to work and I got to say I'm very impressed. Despite being wider than my ROG Ally it's surprisingly lightweight and the weight is well distributed. The TDP maxes out at 15w which should be more than sufficient for Fallout 1 / 2 / 3 / New Vegas, you can even go below 10w (lowest for ROG Ally) which is great for older retro titles since they use 5-7w to stretch out your battery life.

Just my 2 cents on handheld gaming devices - I found the use cases to be quite specific (traveling for work, gaming on the plane, gaming before bed, lightweight titles). I had a blast with my Ally a few weeks back while on holiday - played on the plane, while waiting for the family to get ready before heading out, some lighter games after dinner. Handheld gaming excels in short burst gaming for light to medium gaming since you're trying to balance performance with battery life.

For anything more intensive like playing newer AAA games a full fat PC or console is the way to go. Bigger screen and you can crank up the graphics without worrying about battery life.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Theme For A Jackal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #5251 on: April 19, 2024, 09:22:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Put a shit ton of hours into fallout 3 and new Vegas... might have to check the show out.

[close]

My colleague brought his to work and I got to say I'm very impressed. Despite being wider than my ROG Ally it's surprisingly lightweight and the weight is well distributed. The TDP maxes out at 15w which should be more than sufficient for Fallout 1 / 2 / 3 / New Vegas, you can even go below 10w (lowest for ROG Ally) which is great for older retro titles since they use 5-7w to stretch out your battery life.

Just my 2 cents on handheld gaming devices - I found the use cases to be quite specific (traveling for work, gaming on the plane, gaming before bed, lightweight titles). I had a blast with my Ally a few weeks back while on holiday - played on the plane, while waiting for the family to get ready before heading out, some lighter games after dinner. Handheld gaming excels in short burst gaming for light to medium gaming since you're trying to balance performance with battery life.

For anything more intensive like playing newer AAA games a full fat PC or console is the way to go. Bigger screen and you can crank up the graphics without worrying about battery life.

Idk if this is true for the Ally's too but I'd assume so... but you can dock the Steam deck like a Nintendo Switch to connect it to your TV and connect a bluetooth controller and use it like a console

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #5252 on: April 19, 2024, 11:14:59 AM »
@rocklobster ahhh right on. Now I'm getting these algorithm ads for retro consoles/emulators too lol

@Theme For A Jackal That's what i was thinking... link it to the tv. But i also wouldn't mind playing before bed. Best of both worlds

I would possibly get a gaming pc, but honestly it would collect dust. I bought an Xbox to play starfield and regret it... should've just pulled the trigger on a steam deck.

This actually looks pretty sick...
https://retropad.co
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5253 on: April 19, 2024, 09:10:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Idk if this is true for the Ally's too but I'd assume so... but you can dock the Steam deck like a Nintendo Switch to connect it to your TV and connect a bluetooth controller and use it like a console

You could totally have it docked like a Switch, as long as the dock supports a HDMI to TV, a couple of USB ports for mouse, keyboard and controller and you have a banging console experience. You can even take it a step further and run everything off Steam Big Picture mode so interacting with Windows is minimal. I did toy with replacing my gaming PC with my ROG Ally but the latter is severely limited in CPU / GPU / storage options, and the external GPU dock for a RTX 4070 is too expensive.

If you get the itch to build a PC you can also build a Mini-ITX console roughly 75% the size of a PS5. Parts are generally more expensive for a smaller build and you will be limited when it comes to dedicated GPUs, but AMD's Ryzen APUs (built-in GPUs) are catching up in performance to Xbox or PS5 levels. .

Re the Retropad, I like the concept as a simple plug and play console for older titles, everything prior to PS1 should be fine. But the UI for 60,000 games must be a mess to navigate through, and with these China AIO emulators there are bound to be thousands poorly categorized repeats. The UX can really kill the experience.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LeDave

• Rep: -20
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #5254 on: April 22, 2024, 07:07:38 AM »
FFXIV Online

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #5255 on: April 22, 2024, 09:37:28 AM »
Age of Mythology. Still fun after all these years.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #5256 on: April 23, 2024, 03:21:17 PM »
Yo if you have any inkling of interest to watch the Fallout TV show, fucking do it! Its just as goofy, cheeky, and gory as the games. It has a bit of that video game magic that makes them fun to play, and translates well into the TV format.

Plot line wasn't super crazy, the subtle twists are neat though maybe a bit obvious, but the characters have pretty interesting stories. The costume design is ridiculously good.

Enjoyable fan service that isn't patronizing. One of the most "on the pulse" video game media releases. Ok review over.
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5257 on: April 23, 2024, 05:42:26 PM »
Playing crew 2 motor fest. I didn't like it at first but now I kill. I had to customize my controller settings to get a proper feel.

Now I'm smooth af. Old controllers sometimes hurt you. I needed to dump all that assistance except abs.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mywm

• Rep: 9
« Reply #5258 on: April 24, 2024, 06:44:52 AM »
I got back into Skater XL after playing only Session since 1.0
Honestly it feels much better in terms of cruising around, Session feels like you are driving a RC car rather than rolling around in a skateboard. The animations are also less stiff.
But the control scheme in Session makes a lot more sense and the grinds feel like they lock in better. Not to mention all the spline jank in SXL.
I think I will stick to Session when I want to hit something specific on ledges and rails and play SXL when I just want to kill some time and flow around.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #5259 on: April 24, 2024, 03:43:14 PM »
lots on deck and some of these I just checked out of the library just to check it out:

Hitman world of assassin
the evil within
sifu
southpark fractured but whole
princess peach showtime
super mario rpg
sonic frontiers

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5260 on: April 24, 2024, 07:21:44 PM »
Trying to play Fallout New Vegas on my Ally, got 30 minutes in before it crashed, now it keeps crashing every time I try and load a save.

They weren't kidding when they said this game was buggy as hell and saved by mods, the vanilla version at release must have been a shitshow.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #5261 on: Today at 08:51:18 AM »
It was def a buggy mess lol i played it on 360 aeons ago it seems. If you laid down a ton of land mines, your console would explode basically.

But The buggy mess between 3, NV, and oblivion kind of had a charm. Im sure running them on a PC is a nightmare.
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna