Author Topic: Session Skate  (Read 43115 times)

pedro_mayn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Re: Session Skate
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2021, 02:36:40 AM »
Are the body physics any better yet or is the dude still rather robotic?

I've noticed they're a lot smoother now, still a way to go but a damn sight better when doing tricks and just skating around now.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2021, 07:14:49 AM »
The new update is a good step, makes the game much more smooth and enjoyable.

I think developers are putting the efforts in a good direction and the way they communicate is much better than skater xl.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2021, 07:33:51 AM »
The new update is PHAT!

CaptainBushwacker

• Rep: 13
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2021, 11:59:05 AM »
I have about 60hrs on Session, before Skater XL reached 1.0

On Skater XL i have about 130hrs, thanks to the mods and stats modifier

I gotta ask, how many of you are playing both?

Because I tried getting back into Session with the new update, and it just feels like the character hasn't skated for a while, like super janky.

I admit, it might be because i am trash, but it just wasn't enjoyable at all, like im trying to guide a shopping cart towards a ledge and make it do a SSBSTS.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2021, 12:10:50 PM »
I was loving Session at its early access but after all these updates it feels worse. The physics feel really clunky and all of the customization stuff just disappeared on me.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2021, 12:37:04 PM »
I was loving Session at its early access but after all these updates it feels worse. The physics feel really clunky and all of the customization stuff just disappeared on me.

You gotta complete a few objectives, then you get your stuff back.

It felt clunky to me the first few hours, but I'm feeling good after a second go at it. I messed with the advanced settings for a while, which helped.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2021, 06:21:48 AM »
Yeah it fuckin' rules now.  The gravity & look of say a BS 180 kickflip looks sick

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2021, 10:57:59 AM »
Yall need to post some clips. Even just simple tricks and ledge lines

foureyedjim

« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2021, 01:11:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It felt clunky to me the first few hours, but I'm feeling good after a second go at it. I messed with the advanced settings for a while, which helped.

I don't know about y'all, but it was crucial for me to change these stats to make things feel right:
-turn body rotation to 'manual'
-decrease truck tightness and/or increase 'banking/turn rate' up to not feel like you're moving around in molasses. 
-Increase pop height but increase gravity as well to be able to hit higher ledges/rails but have a more realistic landing. 
-Increase max push force

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2021, 11:16:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don't know about y'all, but it was crucial for me to change these stats to make things feel right:
-turn body rotation to 'manual'
-decrease truck tightness and/or increase 'banking/turn rate' up to not feel like you're moving around in molasses. 
-Increase pop height but increase gravity as well to be able to hit higher ledges/rails but have a more realistic landing. 
-Increase max push force

These are the exact things I did! Definitely made it feel much better. I'm actually happy the new update feels more difficult; I was getting too good and kinda bored lol.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2021, 11:19:41 AM »
Here's a lil line at the updated pyramid ledges map:

https://imgur.com/gallery/lVPky6G

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2021, 12:00:19 PM »
I've been playing on Xbox, a lot of the textures are fucked and it's pretty glitchy at times. They've said they're releasing a patch for those ASAP, which will help a lot.

One of the biggest downgrades I've noticed though, is flipping out of manuals and to a lesser extent grinds. It's lost any sort of smoothness, now flipping out of a manual results in doing an ollie and then a sort of late flip regardless of what trick you do. Often it ends up in the board spinning directly through your legs. The pushing is also fucked, if you're skating in regular and push too fast your knee ends up fucking hyperextending and you look like a dumbass. These are things that were not an issue in the previous version so I hope those get sorted out in the upcoming patch.

At this point I'm still playing a lot and overall there is an improvement from the last version in most areas. The levels themselves are getting good, the expanded Pyramid ledges and Philly maps are great. I look forward to them expanding Chatham towers too into the Courthouse etc.

Side note, now that you can fuck with the stats and boost your ollie a bit, I can finally do Tim O'Connor's EE3 street gap ender across from the Pyramid Ledges.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2021, 01:46:14 PM »

One of the biggest downgrades I've noticed though, is flipping out of manuals and to a lesser extent grinds. It's lost any sort of smoothness, now flipping out of a manual results in doing an ollie and then a sort of late flip regardless of what trick you do. Often it ends up in the board spinning directly through your legs. The pushing is also fucked, if you're skating in regular and push too fast your knee ends up fucking hyperextending and you look like a dumbass. These are things that were not an issue in the previous version so I hope those get sorted out in the upcoming patch.

This is definitely a bummer, but thankfully they're already patching the update, so I imagine they'll fix it soon.
Impossibles out of manuals look better to me though.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2021, 10:39:11 AM »
the advanced settings menu has been a godsend. also you can bunp into things now without ragdolling immediately. had a little trouble w the pyramid ledges challenges, you Can't do the tricks straight on it won't register.
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2021, 10:50:37 AM »
Stupid question but how do you do challenges/objectives? I checked the challenge log and its empty.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2021, 11:19:47 AM »
Stupid question but how do you do challenges/objectives? I checked the challenge log and its empty.

Nah not a stupid question, a lot of people are having trouble with this. The challenges you check under "Skater Log" and turn on the daily or weekly (the historical ones are just found via skating around and doing real tricks that have been done on certain spots). As for the quests and stuff, you have to talk to Donovan outside the shop to start them, he has like 5 in total and then Ribsman has 4 I think? As you do each one they will change location, read their text to know where to look after. They were a pain in the ass and now that they added the "give me my stuff back" thing under the Experimental section on the menu it really isn't even necessary. They only served the purpose of getting the shop open to start buying back your board stuff and clothes.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2021, 12:38:23 PM »
ahhh okay. Shows how much I know cuz I didn't even know there was a shop, haha. Thanks, I'm gonna give it another shot this evening.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2021, 02:10:52 PM »
I'm hyped things like this work with the update. Inspired by Tom Karangalov's noseslide pole bonk to crook clip.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1HYc7BV

krookedjuice

• Rep: 29
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2021, 10:10:04 AM »
Been spending a ton of time playing this since the update came out. Still getting frustrated with grinds but damn it's so much more fun.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2021, 11:10:21 AM »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2021, 12:22:42 PM »
it's really good. you can flip your board in more ways than in skater xl now. awesome. i just can't really figure out the video editor.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/COIxwF-Fl8B/

Not a perfect recreation but I had fun doing this one.

Pudd

• Rep: 4
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2021, 10:57:50 AM »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2021, 06:32:15 PM »
holy shit, that's one big ass update

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2021, 10:20:39 PM »
this gameplay isnt fundamentally different, its still terrible. at least i got it on sale.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2021, 12:35:58 AM »
Been playing a lot recently, the black ledges map is really good and the bridge one feels more like a THPS level but it's fun.

I think that the next step should be fixing menus and missions.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2021, 05:55:18 AM »
I'm loving the update. Blubba looks so damn good in game; it's like you're really there. I don't find the game clunky like a lot of people, but I've also played a lot and gotten good at the game.

The replay editor is way better, but I still have a lot to learn with it. Devs said they're dropping a tutorial for it today though.

Trilogy

• Rep: -232
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2021, 04:10:51 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMwi5oy7Hro

New update looks pretty sick

WOW, big improvement on this game, seems sick, I think I might going to get it, specially since Skater XL totally sucks for X Box One.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2021, 01:24:17 AM »
For me from the outside it looks like they are circling around core problems and focusing on cosmetics - like the levels and apparel. Looking forward to try the new update.

foureyedjim

« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2021, 11:20:33 AM »
The fact that they put any time into darkslides, primos, and skate dice before fixing their turning tells me a lot about their priorities. 

They can regurgitate the "alpha phase" thing all they want, but they released a trailer for it, so I think it's fair to criticize their slow development on the actual feel of the skateboarding.