Author Topic: Session Skate  (Read 43860 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Re: Session Skate
« Reply #300 on: September 22, 2022, 02:07:10 PM »
What are your preferred settings for spinning? I had to turn it all the way down just to stop doing damn 360s on everything.

I'm loving Rob Welsh lines at pier 7 so far

This was from the pre-release (again, not sure what all has changed) but I have...

Body Rotation Friction: 20/20
Body Rotation Rate: 4/20

Your results may vary based on your gravity and pop height. I have the Friction maxed out for flip tricks too so I'm not doing double kickflips all the time, and can also steeze out some slower kickflips.

EDIT: Also, make sure you guys check out the "Experimental" tab on the Pause Menu and check out the Physics Based Animation setting. Its still a WIP and a bit buggy, but its worth seeing. Some subtle but nice touches happen when you use it.

What gravity and pop height are people finding works? I can't quite find one I like yet for this new version.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 03:03:45 PM by FuzzGNU »
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #301 on: September 22, 2022, 04:48:15 PM »
Just played for 5-6 hours and the 1.0 is really solid, some stuff feels different but overall plays really well.

Maybe it's because I'm playing on Xbox One S, but I was expecting a bigger jump since the last version.

San Francisco has some interesting spots but the map seems that has lot of empty/filler space.

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #302 on: September 22, 2022, 06:20:03 PM »
Expand Quote
What are your preferred settings for spinning? I had to turn it all the way down just to stop doing damn 360s on everything.

[close]

This was from the pre-release (again, not sure what all has changed) but I have...

Your results may vary based on your gravity and pop height. I have the Friction maxed out for flip tricks too so I'm not doing double kickflips all the time, and can also steeze out some slower kickflips.

EDIT: Also, make sure you guys check out the "Experimental" tab on the Pause Menu and check out the Physics Based Animation setting. Its still a WIP and a bit buggy, but its worth seeing. Some subtle but nice touches happen when you use it.

What gravity and pop height are people finding works? I can't quite find one I like yet for this new version.

What do you mean by flip trick friction maxed out? I'm not seeing that under the flip trick settings and really need that

Ahh nevermind I see its in advanced settings.  Tried playing with it but I was still doing a lot of double flips and then unable to kickflip into grinds so had to go back. Will keep playing around with the settings tho as I get used this
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 07:00:33 PM by matt_2993 »

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #303 on: September 22, 2022, 07:16:04 PM »
is it on ps4 yet? or just next gen

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #304 on: September 22, 2022, 08:34:11 PM »
is it on ps4 yet? or just next gen

I'm playing ps4

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #305 on: September 22, 2022, 10:51:32 PM »
Is anyone’s game crashing when you go to No Comply for the first time and talk to the owner? It keeps happening for me. I’m on Steam

Edit: I use a program on my PC that lets it recognize Dualshocks, the game crashing had to do with that program and not the game itself
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 01:22:01 AM by dr.prestige »

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #306 on: September 23, 2022, 06:25:03 AM »
Grinding doesn't suck anymore which is great. Doing the quick thing of "flip trick>catch>grind" or "flip trick>catch>impact input" works way better, too

And the bails are really nice now. Lotta weight to the guy and you keep rolling before you slam
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #307 on: September 23, 2022, 06:35:06 AM »
PS4 dude here, I’m stuck at the advanced flip tricks part with Donovan where you have to do bs and fs 360’s down some stairs.

I’ve done ollie + L2/R2 to spin (like in Skater XL) and I’ve done about 72,000 360’s down the stairs landed as clean as can be yet none of them seem to count.

Even tried some BS/FS 360 kickflips thinking maybe that’s what they wanted but nope.

What am I missing ?

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #308 on: September 23, 2022, 06:42:48 AM »
Do the 360s on flat ground and you'll finish it first try

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #309 on: September 23, 2022, 07:08:42 AM »
Do the 360s on flat ground and you'll finish it first try

That’s it ? I only have to do ‘em on flat? Damn I gotta stop getting so baked when I’m gaming ;D

Thanks G

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #310 on: September 23, 2022, 07:38:33 AM »
Is anyone’s game crashing when you go to No Comply for the first time and talk to the owner? It keeps happening for me. I’m on Steam

Edit: I use a program on my PC that lets it recognize Dualshocks, the game crashing had to do with that program and not the game itself

if you got a ps5 dual shock i think you don't need that program anymore as steam supports ps5 controllers and sony actually came out with official firmware to run them on pc regardless, which steam will automatically prompt you to download if you let it identify your ps5 dual shock controller.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #311 on: September 23, 2022, 08:20:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What do you mean by flip trick friction maxed out? I'm not seeing that under the flip trick settings and really need that

Ahh nevermind I see its in advanced settings.  Tried playing with it but I was still doing a lot of double flips and then unable to kickflip into grinds so had to go back. Will keep playing around with the settings tho as I get used this

Oh sorry, I also lowered the Flip Speed to 6/20 in conjunction with the Flip Friction at 20/20. Might be too low for some, but it works for me.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #312 on: September 23, 2022, 08:52:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

if you got a ps5 dual shock i think you don't need that program anymore as steam supports ps5 controllers and sony actually came out with official firmware to run them on pc regardless, which steam will automatically prompt you to download if you let it identify your ps5 dual shock controller.

They’re PS4 ones, but word I’ll keep that in mind

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #313 on: September 23, 2022, 10:04:39 AM »
Skate 3 was really the last video game I had the time and interest to sink a lot of time into 'til now. Dang, this game is hard but satisfying when you actually land stuff. The controls and animations are great, and the game looks very good overall, but I'm kind of shocked by how incomplete and unpolished it all is overall. I'm sure I'll spend 99% of my time just skating around and sessioning a ledge, so it's a minor complaint in some ways. I used to be a game developer, so I may just be more critical of that kind of stuff than most of their intended audience.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #314 on: September 23, 2022, 10:38:57 AM »
Skate 3 was really the last video game I had the time and interest to sink a lot of time into 'til now. Dang, this game is hard but satisfying when you actually land stuff. The controls and animations are great, and the game looks very good overall, but I'm kind of shocked by how incomplete and unpolished it all is overall. I'm sure I'll spend 99% of my time just skating around and sessioning a ledge, so it's a minor complaint in some ways. I used to be a game developer, so I may just be more critical of that kind of stuff than most of their intended audience.

Its essentially an indie game, they only really had a more complete dev team near the last year of development from my understanding. They started out as 2-3 people using only funding from like government art grants, and some Unreal Engine grant.

The issue is games have gotten so complicated these days. Especially a physics-based game like this. Its that much harder to make a game like this polished when you're working with such a small team, and can't necessarily afford hiring whoever you want.

Their original scope for the game was MUCH smaller than this, but of course feature-creep, a wildly successful Kickstarter, and the never-ending optimism of a passion-project... all lead to it becoming something akin to Skate in scale, when they never initially planned something this ambitious.

At a certain point they had to just decide "Okay this is the 1.0 release" and put a stake in it. They are going to keep working on it. They are actually actively hiring more developers right now.

I'm curious! What games have you worked on? And what made you get out of game development?

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #315 on: September 23, 2022, 11:02:52 AM »
Anyone have tips to avoid over rotating the landing on your grinds? Even a backtail to fakie on a ledge over rotates like everything needs to be a 270 out. Struggling to land decent

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -459
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #316 on: September 23, 2022, 11:06:56 AM »
I’m on ps4 and wow, even on the east/assisted mode this is super hard. Over rotating a lot, trouble timing popping over or down things, grinds and manuals very hard to pop out of, but it is super fun to land something. Hope this gets easier as I play more. 

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 133
« Reply #317 on: September 23, 2022, 11:12:31 AM »
Anyone have tips to avoid over rotating the landing on your grinds? Even a backtail to fakie on a ledge over rotates like everything needs to be a 270 out. Struggling to land decent

Go into the gameplay settings and turn off auto revert on landing. Also, you don't need to hold the turning bumper very long when coming out of a grind, just a tiny tap is enough most of the time.

With everything in the game, it takes more finesse than most people are used to I think, especially people who have mostly played Skate in the past. I give props to people that are messing with it now and never played pre-alpha. It's very unforgiving now, which I'm personally enjoying, but I can imagine it really troubling new players.

Just keep at it though. I can't go back to any other skating games now that I have a good feel for Session... it's just so nuanced and satisfying when you get what you're trying.

FuzzGNU

« Reply #318 on: September 23, 2022, 11:33:58 AM »

I’m on ps4 and wow, even on the east/assisted mode this is super hard. Over rotating a lot, trouble timing popping over or down things, grinds and manuals very hard to pop out of, but it is super fun to land something. Hope this gets easier as I play more.

Goto gameplay settings, and advanced settings. Lower the Body Rotation Rate and maybe even the Body Rotation Friction. The default settings are much too high.

Expand Quote
[close]

Go into the gameplay settings and turn off auto revert on landing. Also, you don't need to hold the turning bumper very long when coming out of a grind, just a tiny tap is enough most of the time.

With everything in the game, it takes more finesse than most people are used to I think, especially people who have mostly played Skate in the past. I give props to people that are messing with it now and never played pre-alpha. It's very unforgiving now, which I'm personally enjoying, but I can imagine it really troubling new players.

Just keep at it though. I can't go back to any other skating games now that I have a good feel for Session... it's just so nuanced and satisfying when you get what you're trying.

Good point about turning auto revert off. However, I really do think the default sliders are to blame for a lot of these issues. Over turning, over rotating, way too easy to double kickflip. In a game all about finesse, things like this shouldn't be defaulted to such extremes.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #319 on: September 23, 2022, 11:53:25 AM »

I mean in that case you'd understand the massive difference between smaller, independent developers and Activision or EA. These guys don't have Skate and Tony Hawk money.

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -70
« Reply #320 on: September 23, 2022, 01:25:59 PM »
Anyone playing on Xbox and having issues they are aware and are working on a patch as we speak!!!

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #321 on: September 23, 2022, 01:36:47 PM »
Is there any difference in gameplay with different board sizes and shapes? I'm not sure if it's placebo for me or not lol

YBOS

• Rep: 14
« Reply #322 on: September 23, 2022, 01:49:28 PM »
Is there any difference in gameplay with different board sizes and shapes? I'm not sure if it's placebo for me or not lol

I don't know about size, but I get a new board placebo where I feel like i can pop higher. I'm pretty sure that truck size affects how you lock into grinds, but board size I'm less sure.

artskool

• Rep: 30
« Reply #323 on: September 23, 2022, 02:47:18 PM »
To this, and the previous question- I started out working on very small teams. Over the course of my career, those teams went from 10-15 people on a project to more like 300. Indie game size to big mainstream releases. When it was really small, we all friends for the most part- worked, drank, played in bands, lived together. When it was big, I was managing large teams of artists both internally and externally, and it was a major drag. Bad work culture, no real interest inherently in games, other opportunities in life meant it was time to bail.

I might hit them up, I've done a lot of work bringing games form this point to AAA kind of quality and could probably at least help them analyze where they're at, and where they might want to go. They've definitely made something special here, just needs some polish and game design stuff appropriate to the vibe they've all ready got going. I'll probably be playing this for the next decade, so no rush.

Expand Quote
[close]

I mean in that case you'd understand the massive difference between smaller, independent developers and Activision or EA. These guys don't have Skate and Tony Hawk money.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #324 on: September 23, 2022, 04:09:11 PM »
Anyone playing on ps4? Is it ok?

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #325 on: September 23, 2022, 09:02:13 PM »

Runs great overall! Only hiccup I encountered was having Skater Physical Animation enabled had me kind of laggy in some of the denser areas.

FactoryMinimum

• Rep: -5
« Reply #326 on: September 24, 2022, 04:36:18 AM »

PS and PC are fine. Xbox has some glitches and bugs from what I've read.

Really enjoying this game.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #327 on: September 24, 2022, 06:24:16 AM »
it's good. better than skater xl for sure.

you can even turn your wheels graphics inside. found that pretty neat.

wish there was physics for wallrides and no comply tricks tho.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #328 on: September 24, 2022, 06:45:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sick, ive got it on PC, but kinda wanna have it in the lounge room.  Might try to find it on special on ps4

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #329 on: September 24, 2022, 10:13:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sick, ive got it on PC, but kinda wanna have it in the lounge room.  Might try to find it on special on ps4

same boat as you. think im going to end up downloading it by the end of the day on ps4 since my gf just left town for a week and im already getting bored sitting here with the dog.

i loved it on pc and had all the custom maps and settings but then an update reset it all and i havent tried again in like a year. at this point i just want to play from the couch without doing all that work.

ill let you know what i think if i end up doing it.