Author Topic: Session Skate  (Read 43103 times)

matt_2993

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
Re: Session Skate
« Reply #330 on: September 24, 2022, 11:18:00 AM »
I put a cruiser board together with the fattest risers, biggest trucks and wheels on. Now I just go as fast as possible low popping into curb grinds and its the funnest shit ever.  SF has a lot of wasted space until you get an eye for all the amazing low impact skate spots.

What else do you guys use the low pop for anyway? I maxed out the height of low pop so I could clear curbs and grind them but idk wtf its for otherwise

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
« Reply #331 on: September 24, 2022, 11:22:46 AM »
playing on xbox right now. love the game and how realistic it is so far. only problem is there is some motion blur on my wheels when spinning and the board when i do flip tricks. other than that good shit.

does anyone have any stats they wanna share? i noticed my board kinda flips weird on tricks and 360s look kinda boned and weird
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

boneless900

• Rep: 52
« Reply #332 on: September 24, 2022, 11:53:12 AM »
What're y'all's preferred settings?

I decided to run default settings and tweak the flip settings to manual catch, sync flips off and quick shuvs off. Feels more consistent for me when trying 360 flips vs varial flops. Took me a while to get used to manual catch rather than auto catch but it's super satisfying to land tricks/grind.

I haven't tried to do any of the new lip tricks they added but I think the pool in SF is a good spot to try so I'll explore later when I'm off work. For reference, i'm on Xbox One and I haven't encountered any crashing issues or graphic issues.

internetname

• Rep: 14
« Reply #333 on: September 24, 2022, 12:15:54 PM »
it's good. better than skater xl for sure.

you can even turn your wheels graphics inside. found that pretty neat.

wish there was physics for wallrides and no comply tricks tho.

They've been working on no complys and wallrides for a long time, they lost their animator a few months ago which is most likely slowing the process down. Hopefully once they make a new hire that will be the first big gameplay addition

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #334 on: September 24, 2022, 01:58:44 PM »

I decided to run default settings and tweak the flip settings to manual catch, sync flips off and quick shuvs off. Feels more consistent for me when trying 360 flips vs varial flops. Took me a while to get used to manual catch rather than auto catch but it's super satisfying to land tricks/grind.

I haven't tried to do any of the new lip tricks they added but I think the pool in SF is a good spot to try so I'll explore later when I'm off work. For reference, i'm on Xbox One and I haven't encountered any crashing issues or graphic issues.

just downloaded. i went with the advanced right off the bat and then turned down the turn settings because it was so jerky.

im on ps4 and played a ton super customized on pc about a year ago. definitely worth the purchase - its nice to just play from the couch while drinking these beers. need to find some youtube videos to make me feel like i have the right "realistic" settings.

so far i feel like this is just as fun as the early PC versions but i do miss having custom maps and custom boards/shoes. but that was a lot of work on a computer to get there.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #335 on: September 24, 2022, 03:43:30 PM »
been liking this more and more. doing the joe valdez ollie on china banks is a legendary trick. i'm just trying to do tricks i know from vids to see if they got those tricks as legendaries.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #336 on: September 24, 2022, 03:50:27 PM »
I've rage quit everytime I've played, Just like real life skateboarding

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #337 on: September 25, 2022, 12:29:33 AM »
Am I still naive to custom settings or is it safe to say session fucking sucks for flip trick physics in comparison to SkaterXL? I hope I'm still just too new

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #338 on: September 25, 2022, 12:34:37 AM »
Am I still naive to custom settings or is it safe to say session fucking sucks for flip trick physics in comparison to SkaterXL? I hope I'm still just too new

Yeah change the settings. Especially if it's double flipping way too much.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #339 on: September 25, 2022, 06:27:25 AM »
Liptricks and transition are really disappointing, I know it's experimental but Nora missions felt pretty ridiculous.

Maybe they didn't explained how to do it enough in the game or maybe we have to wait for a JL video, but right now it's the only thing that XL makes it better.

FactoryMinimum

• Rep: -5
« Reply #340 on: September 25, 2022, 07:13:14 AM »

Playing this has made me see SkaterXl's physics as being overly cartoony. The devil is in the details in terms of creating your style. You need to fuck around with the settings to find what looks good to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jainC-bIqLQ

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #341 on: September 25, 2022, 07:21:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Playing this has made me see SkaterXl's physics as being overly cartoony. The devil is in the details in terms of creating your style. You need to fuck around with the settings to find what looks good to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jainC-bIqLQ

SkaterXL on PC had mods with gameplay sliders. There are still things SkaterXL with mods does better and more realistically than Session.

Excited to see them continuing to improve the game because its at a good starting point now.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #342 on: September 25, 2022, 12:36:07 PM »
Really really enjoying this game so far but the trick recognition for some missions are pissing me off. Did anyone else have trouble with the full cab flip for Donovan’s switch back tail line mission or the kickflip back noseblunt for Appleyard’s picnic table mission? I did each of those probably close to 10 times each before I got one that the game counted.

Also, I love skating Embarcadero but it bums me out that they fucked up the high ledge where the seven is. The way they did it, you can’t really skate it going north because you end up landing and running right into the lower ledge. I hope they fix that in a patch, I really want to skate that ledge

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #343 on: September 25, 2022, 02:22:11 PM »
Really really enjoying this game so far but the trick recognition for some missions are pissing me off. Did anyone else have trouble with the full cab flip for Donovan’s switch back tail line mission or the kickflip back noseblunt for Appleyard’s picnic table mission? I did each of those probably close to 10 times each before I got one that the game counted.

Also, I love skating Embarcadero but it bums me out that they fucked up the high ledge where the seven is. The way they did it, you can’t really skate it going north because you end up landing and running right into the lower ledge. I hope they fix that in a patch, I really want to skate that ledge

yeah, some of those missions are hard to beat due to that problem alone.

that said, these all feel like they could eventually be ironed out. it works better than in the beta for sure already, and i trust these devs more than the skater xl devs to actually iron out these problems.

i kind of struggle with the video editor, might have to watch a yt tutorial or something to get the hang of it.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #344 on: September 25, 2022, 11:07:00 PM »
I also struggled with the 360's on flat. All attempts were 270's, until a point of frustration.

I suspected I could assist the rotation with analog stick. Poking either left or right analog towards direction of rotation pushed the board till full rotation. So it's like the extra tweak with feet when doing 360's on a skateboard.

I'm playing with default controls and standard difficulty.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #345 on: September 26, 2022, 01:09:27 AM »
Expand Quote
downloaded the trial this morning, gonna wait til I get off work to tap in. I've only played skate. so i'm used to the flick-it controls, is it hard learning the controls for Session?
[close]

the only thing that will be tricky to get used to is using the triggers to turn. They have the option to let you use the skate controls though if you want.

For real?   Ok I’m interested for sure now.   I’m not super into a tough learning curve for controls

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #346 on: September 26, 2022, 07:18:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

just downloaded. i went with the advanced right off the bat and then turned down the turn settings because it was so jerky.

im on ps4 and played a ton super customized on pc about a year ago. definitely worth the purchase - its nice to just play from the couch while drinking these beers. need to find some youtube videos to make me feel like i have the right "realistic" settings.

so far i feel like this is just as fun as the early PC versions but i do miss having custom maps and custom boards/shoes. but that was a lot of work on a computer to get there.

I just double dipped on the ps4 version cos my PC is in my studio and I need this as a couch game. Amazed how well they’ve done it, feels the same as my maxed out settings on PC. lower frame rate but I can live with that.

I put a cruiser board together with the fattest risers, biggest trucks and wheels on. Now I just go as fast as possible low popping into curb grinds and its the funnest shit ever.  SF has a lot of wasted space until you get an eye for all the amazing low impact skate spots.

What else do you guys use the low pop for anyway? I maxed out the height of low pop so I could clear curbs and grind them but idk wtf its for otherwise

Same here the small curbs near pier 7 are fun. Can’t wait till they implement ‘non ollie’ physics for slappies and wall rides. Must be hard for a full physics modellled game getting all these bits right.

Also surprised they have some old Santa Cruz shaped decks. Having a sick time riding a Dressen and a Slasher. Don’t fuck with SC anymore but still fun to have some old school shit in a game. Kinda wish they didn’t have a big nose though. Loved riding an 80s cab in SXL switch with a tiny nose. Looked sick.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #347 on: September 26, 2022, 09:03:41 AM »
anyone else on xbox or console having issues with some of the graphics becoming blurry? when i first start and play the game everything is fine but as it goes on when i start flipping the board or doing 180s/360s the motions get super glitchy/blurry. could this be a day/night setting that i need to adjust?
- Crailtap

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #348 on: September 26, 2022, 10:06:50 AM »
anyone else on xbox or console having issues with some of the graphics becoming blurry? when i first start and play the game everything is fine but as it goes on when i start flipping the board or doing 180s/360s the motions get super glitchy/blurry. could this be a day/night setting that i need to adjust?

Definitely the same on my side. Haven't messed around much with trying to change it tho might test different settings to see

YungJugg

• Rep: 225
« Reply #349 on: September 26, 2022, 10:56:40 AM »
on ps4, i hate how much the game slows down every time i bail. pretty much freezes for a second as soon as i pop over a gap, before I even bail.

clouds off fixed that
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 11:56:52 PM by YungJugg »

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #350 on: September 26, 2022, 10:56:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Definitely the same on my side. Haven't messed around much with trying to change it tho might test different settings to see
if i set the time between 5:00-6:00AM everything is perfect but as soon as the time changes it gets wonky and i have to set it back. is there a way to change the frame rate? could that be the issue?
- Crailtap

busstopmag

• Rep: 16
    • BusStop avatar image
« Reply #351 on: September 26, 2022, 11:08:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
downloaded the trial this morning, gonna wait til I get off work to tap in. I've only played skate. so i'm used to the flick-it controls, is it hard learning the controls for Session?
[close]

the only thing that will be tricky to get used to is using the triggers to turn. They have the option to let you use the skate controls though if you want.
[close]

For real?   Ok I’m interested for sure now.   I’m not super into a tough learning curve for controls

Just FYI, the Xbox reviews have everyone complaining that they took out 'Legacy' controls. I haven't checked personally but they may be gone now.

busstopmag

• Rep: 16
    • BusStop avatar image
« Reply #352 on: September 26, 2022, 11:15:47 AM »
The trick detection in this game is making me crazy.
I wish you could just remove pressure flips altogether.
I was looking at the difference between doing those and impossibles and it took me like 100 tries to get an impossible to come out of that narrow ass parking bollard ramp thing.

Coming from Skater XL this game is really tough to learn but I'm trying. I really miss that easy carve/coping tech that XL has.

I really hope they can bring more to the game because you can absolutely tell it's a labor of love and they put a ton of hard work into it. The seams are really showing though with all the unreal engine wonkyness and some of the user interfaces. With some fine tuning and polish I think it could be even greater than what it is.

***Also why do you die when you miss a kickflip?***

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 264
« Reply #353 on: September 26, 2022, 12:05:05 PM »
Seen a trailer for this game last night. How are the controls vs. T Hawk/ Skate/ Skater XL? Or can you switch to one of those ways (preferably skate). I suck at Skater XL fo sho.

Looks pretty sick
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #354 on: September 26, 2022, 12:07:48 PM »
Seen a trailer for this game last night. How are the controls vs. T Hawk/ Skate/ Skater XL? Or can you switch to one of those ways (preferably skate). I suck at Skater XL fo sho.

Looks pretty sick

The controls are much more detailed than any other prior skateboarding game. There's a learning curve at first for sure but once you get used to it you'll really like them, or at least that's how I feel. I played the shit out of all the Skate games and I now find that control scheme kind of archaic, except for that I'm not sure if you can grab or do inverts in Session, that would be nice for an update. The Skate controls were available in the preproduction version but they unfortunately took them out for the official release.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #355 on: September 26, 2022, 02:17:55 PM »
Trick detection can be sort of annoying when it comes to doing missions, sometimes it flat-out doesn't register. I won't even bother beating that Manny Santiago misson where you're supposed to 180 5050 the handrail because it just will not even register that a 5050 happened. Transition skating sucks dick in this game too, gave up on Nora missions once you had to grind over the hip at FDR. Seems like such a waste of a really well constructed level when any sort of transition skating was so clearly an afterthought.

With that all said though, overall the game is a lot of fun and looks really great. I'm playing on an Xbox so graphics are obviously not going to be to the level of some insanely expensive PC, but I'm not really any sort of "gamer" so it doesn't bother me. I've got a couple gripes, but nothing compared to some of the crybabies I see on IG bitching about every single aspect of the game.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: September 26, 2022, 02:28:57 PM »
one thing i noticed or might misremember... but didn't the beta have bails at some point? so that you don't die when missing a flip and stuff, like another poster noted. i think there was also something like a disengage basically, so that you can decide to bail out mid flip and the skater would just run it out.

was that a different game? or was that before they did the new animations and stuff.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #357 on: September 26, 2022, 03:01:39 PM »
Trick detection can be sort of annoying when it comes to doing missions, sometimes it flat-out doesn't register. I won't even bother beating that Manny Santiago misson where you're supposed to 180 5050 the handrail because it just will not even register that a 5050 happened. Transition skating sucks dick in this game too, gave up on Nora missions once you had to grind over the hip at FDR. Seems like such a waste of a really well constructed level when any sort of transition skating was so clearly an afterthought.

With that all said though, overall the game is a lot of fun and looks really great. I'm playing on an Xbox so graphics are obviously not going to be to the level of some insanely expensive PC, but I'm not really any sort of "gamer" so it doesn't bother me. I've got a couple gripes, but nothing compared to some of the crybabies I see on IG bitching about every single aspect of the game.

I’m playing it on a not quite top of the line but pretty close PC build and the graphics remind me of PS3 graphics lol. I’m not very picky about that sort of stuff so I don’t mind, the gameplay makes up for it anyways

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #358 on: September 26, 2022, 03:24:50 PM »
I fucking hate pressing L2 and R2 to turn or rotate instead of what we’re all used to

bort.

• Rep: 53
« Reply #359 on: September 26, 2022, 08:21:35 PM »
Loving it for the most part. Still a lot of work needed on animations, transition skating, wallies and everything else.

And where are Pops historical challenges?? A glaring omission