Author Topic: Session Skate  (Read 43127 times)

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
Re: Session Skate
« Reply #510 on: March 09, 2023, 12:14:38 PM »

dr.prestige

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #511 on: March 09, 2023, 12:49:50 PM »
https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/session-skate-sim

Firsts reviews doesn't seem much promising...

It sounds to me like the only thing worth noting in this review is that the graphics aren't as good on Switch, which means it's harder to interpret the world around you than it would be on PC for example. Otherwise, this review reads like a review of Session on any other platform by someone who doesn't skate and also isn't a fan of the technical issues that we already know exist in the game. I'm going to also wager that either whoever wrote this didn't play the game much at all or they added a new map without telling anyone, because the reviewer mistakes San Francisco for Chicago in this.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #512 on: March 09, 2023, 04:08:19 PM »
Expand Quote
https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/session-skate-sim

Firsts reviews doesn't seem much promising...
[close]

It sounds to me like the only thing worth noting in this review is that the graphics aren't as good on Switch, which means it's harder to interpret the world around you than it would be on PC for example. Otherwise, this review reads like a review of Session on any other platform by someone who doesn't skate and also isn't a fan of the technical issues that we already know exist in the game. I'm going to also wager that either whoever wrote this didn't play the game much at all or they added a new map without telling anyone, because the reviewer mistakes San Francisco for Chicago in this.

That's true, they probably didn't understood the game as you mentioned.

Checking footage doesn't look that bad, I'm gonna get my copy anyways...

https://youtu.be/ODbsUSz9u-Y
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 11:28:38 PM by alraunen »

FunnyBunny

• Rep: 20
« Reply #513 on: March 09, 2023, 06:49:18 PM »
Would really love to hear people’s first hand opinion on the switch version.  This game is tricky review wise because what a non skater would view as a flaw with the overall gameplay is what a skater would find enjoyable about it. 

Do the downgraded visuals actually affect game play and do the triggers on the switch cause any issues would be my main concerns

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #514 on: March 09, 2023, 08:54:47 PM »
Would really love to hear people’s first hand opinion on the switch version.  This game is tricky review wise because what a non skater would view as a flaw with the overall gameplay is what a skater would find enjoyable about it. 

Do the downgraded visuals actually affect game play and do the triggers on the switch cause any issues would be my main concerns
I just got it, and my initial opinion from playing it docked on my tv with a pro controller is that the graphics are definitely a lot worse, but not to the point that it really hinders the gameplay, especially if you’re used to the maps from playing it with better graphics. The feeling of the controls is approximately the same, although right now the settings are completely different to how I have gotten used to them on PC so it’s kind of hard to tell. The triggers are a little annoying but I’m not pissed about it right now. I’m going to play it for a bit handheld with the joycons and talk more about it later.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #515 on: March 10, 2023, 08:57:47 AM »
So i bought it last night.

man does it look like ass. I know switch games look worse, but this just had issues. Especially the starting area, and the character builder. The Lighting, shader and shadows just don't fucking work. It's like they appear out of nowhere. I believe the term is called aliasing when you can see just like digital noise on the edges of everything.

As a game as a whole, when you compare Skate3 and THPS to these new SkAtE SiM types are piss poor with engagement and personality.

Anyway. it looks better if you go to a bigger more open spaces, for example, blubba (the spots are really cool) edit: this clip is in docked mode
https://i.imgur.com/kuBCSlF.mp4

I wouldn't recommend it unless you just really enjoy skateboarding games and can ignore the visuals. Playing with a pro controller feels better than handheld mode.

This is what it looks like in handheld mode

Flicker, blurry, and unrendered textures in the background. Just a mess
https://imgur.com/5ieHhlL
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 09:27:56 AM by TwisT »

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #516 on: March 10, 2023, 04:05:40 PM »
Anyone else on console lose all their custom settings with the new update? What the fuck it took forever to get that right and I have no idea what they actually were lol

Camera also seems completely fucked

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #517 on: March 10, 2023, 04:26:40 PM »
Anyone else on console lose all their custom settings with the new update? What the fuck it took forever to get that right and I have no idea what they actually were lol

Camera also seems completely fucked

On PC all mine stayed the same through the update

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #518 on: March 11, 2023, 09:30:55 AM »
just grabbed this on PC a couple days ago, put in 8 hours so far. I really like it, the controls took me a bit to figure out which made it more fun I think. I'm still only okay at it. You don't have to mod the shit out of it to make it feel cool so now I feel like I wasted a couple hundred hours on SXL lol. The historical challenges are a neat touch. I was a little worried they'd railroad me into going pro for Thank You but it's good that you get to pick even though it doesn't matter at all.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -270
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #519 on: March 11, 2023, 09:34:57 AM »
How do you fix the stance your guy throws down? I skate goofy and he throws down regular and warps around all weird

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #520 on: March 11, 2023, 09:52:43 AM »
How do you fix the stance your guy throws down? I skate goofy and he throws down regular and warps around all weird

Damn not sure about a proper fix but double tap triangle to start switch, that may be a temporary workaround?

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #521 on: March 11, 2023, 12:29:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn not sure about a proper fix but double tap triangle to start switch, that may be a temporary workaround?

Yeah that's the way for now. There's no legitimate goofy stance in Session atm.

FactoryMinimum

• Rep: -5
« Reply #522 on: March 11, 2023, 01:04:25 PM »
It plays great on Steam Deck after some setting changes.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #523 on: March 12, 2023, 01:23:13 PM »
Man, bot even gonna lie.

This game looks like shit and is a buggy mess.

But I’ve been enjoying myself

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #524 on: March 13, 2023, 02:55:47 AM »
It's funny how almost no one mentioned the recent update since it was too lackluster and insignificant to even be noticed. Oh wow they fixed impossibles and made some small QOL menu changes. They teased a new map when they were hinting at a feb/march update but of course that will be behind some paywall DLC nonsense and it's probably dogshit anyway. Me and my high hopes eh.

93 Til Infinity

• Rep: -3
« Reply #525 on: March 13, 2023, 02:22:59 PM »
I've got it on PS4 recently and do enjoy the game, the level of customisation is awesome and makes for more fun. The control scheme is fantastic and something new. My biggest problem with it is that the world doesn't feel alive and vibrant, it's fun to skate around and shit but nothing else is happening anywhere else. Kind of bums me out for some reason haha. Like Skate 3 feels more like a living, breathing world as opposed to the flatness of this game. Still allgood though otherwise.

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #526 on: March 13, 2023, 03:41:10 PM »
It's funny how almost no one mentioned the recent update since it was too lackluster and insignificant to even be noticed. Oh wow they fixed impossibles and made some small QOL menu changes. They teased a new map when they were hinting at a feb/march update but of course that will be behind some paywall DLC nonsense and it's probably dogshit anyway. Me and my high hopes eh.

The update is pretty shitty. Adding a couple DCs and some Spitfire wheels is fine...but the rest is worthless. Fucking FTP, their IG was bombarded with 14 year olds demanding it be added so they sort of had to I guess. The new light beam added to your marker and the stupid display for the skateshop being permanently on the screen really take away from the "immersive" experience they push. I hope the next update is more worth the time they put into it. Whatever, I'll still keep playing that garbage.
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #527 on: March 13, 2023, 05:28:50 PM »
Nose dives on ollies are doin' my head in

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #528 on: March 15, 2023, 11:21:29 AM »
Got this on PC recently and kind of enjoying the difficulty, like trying 10 minutes to land a 50-50 is way more like skateboarding than randomly flicking sticks to bust insane combos. Major gripes at the moment are that it’s way harder to do a kickflip than a double flip (I’m adjusting the setting to make it better) and the fact that the guy fucking ragdolls at the slightest error, like scraping the pushing foot on a wall, it’s so dumb and annoying to wait him get up.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #529 on: March 15, 2023, 12:30:10 PM »
Got this on PC recently and kind of enjoying the difficulty, like trying 10 minutes to land a 50-50 is way more like skateboarding than randomly flicking sticks to bust insane combos. Major gripes at the moment are that it’s way harder to do a kickflip than a double flip (I’m adjusting the setting to make it better) and the fact that the guy fucking ragdolls at the slightest error, like scraping the pushing foot on a wall, it’s so dumb and annoying to wait him get up.

Press y and the skater will reset after bailing

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 59
« Reply #530 on: March 16, 2023, 02:46:19 PM »
After getting the PS4 version at launch and really enjoying the control scheme, realism / difficulty curve I’ve recently spent a lot more time with Session. I’ve been trying to focus on the (story) missions but holy shit is it easy to get distracted.

But distracted in a good way, where I’ll come across a spot or notice and think of a line I hadn’t before then without realising I honestly spend an hour of gameplay trying to perfect different tricks + lines.

Being able to tweak the gameplay options with such depth is fucking fantastic. I have one specific custom settings that’s like a Levi Brown mode with mad high pop, slightly reduced grind friction and a slower flip and scoop speed. I can’t stop messing around with different settings to get one I really like that’s also close to the default “realism” sorta setting.

Skater XL being so goddam lacklustre in terms of meaningful content has also made the handful of missions I’ve played through in Session really shine. 
The dialogue is stupid and often kinda exaggerated but fun at times. Eg:
Dane Burman - “The rail is just on the other side of the underpass. It’s big, long and full of kinks like my usual Saturday night. Let’s get your legs warmed up!”

Billy Marks- “You want to learn tricks that’ll help you score big in contests? Well then you’ve come to wrong place because I’m going to teach you double flips”.

I’m also liking that they have challenges added weekly / daily etx and are often short little butstsbof fun where you might have to skate a certain spot or do some more tech tricks a few times but some of the requirements are just inane and unfun: Do 200 fakie fs flips, a few hundred 360 shoves but none register. It’s a mixed bag in a sense but I’m glad they are actively doing something with the game.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #531 on: March 17, 2023, 02:40:09 AM »
i should get a copy soon and i am thinking about having a small event around that game at the shop with the locals. Well i need first to see if i can think of a "format" to make it a more multiplayer experience and have a fun night at the shop.
I guess ideas might come when i'm playing the game solo in the coming days. But the learning curve doesn't make it beginner friendly
Any advice ? 

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #532 on: March 17, 2023, 08:39:02 AM »
i should get a copy soon and i am thinking about having a small event around that game at the shop with the locals. Well i need first to see if i can think of a "format" to make it a more multiplayer experience and have a fun night at the shop.
I guess ideas might come when i'm playing the game solo in the coming days. But the learning curve doesn't make it beginner friendly
Any advice ?

It'll be tough if the locals haven't played before.

In skate 3 me and friends used to play 1 bail, you play until you bail and pass off the controller to the next person. I don't know if will work as well in session because it doesn't have the same flow as the ea games. Might have to play like 3 bails.

A 1 bail battle royal doing historical/tricks from videos might work best as it can be annoying setting markers and lining stuff up only for the next guy decide he'd rather skate hubba hideout than EMB
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #533 on: March 17, 2023, 10:23:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Any advice ?
[close]

In skate 3 me and friends used to play 1 bail, you play until you bail and pass off the controller to the next person. I don't know if will work as well in session because it doesn't have the same flow as the ea games. Might have to play like 3 bails.

A 1 bail battle royal doing historical/tricks from videos might work best as it can be annoying setting markers and lining stuff up only for the next guy decide he'd rather skate hubba hideout than EMB

i like the battle royal of historical tricks. me and my friend did something similar when he came by and started to get the hang of it. swapped after 5 tries each. had a fun night smoking and drinking haha.

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #534 on: March 17, 2023, 11:18:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Any advice ?
[close]

Yeah you'll be bailing often in session even with the easiest settings and autocatch on. For session it may be easier to just do like 5-10 mins per person, then the next one can play.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #535 on: March 17, 2023, 04:07:17 PM »
After getting the PS4 version at launch and really enjoying the control scheme, realism / difficulty curve I’ve recently spent a lot more time with Session. I’ve been trying to focus on the (story) missions but holy shit is it easy to get distracted.

But distracted in a good way, where I’ll come across a spot or notice and think of a line I hadn’t before then without realising I honestly spend an hour of gameplay trying to perfect different tricks + lines.

Being able to tweak the gameplay options with such depth is fucking fantastic. I have one specific custom settings that’s like a Levi Brown mode with mad high pop, slightly reduced grind friction and a slower flip and scoop speed. I can’t stop messing around with different settings to get one I really like that’s also close to the default “realism” sorta setting.

Skater XL being so goddam lacklustre in terms of meaningful content has also made the handful of missions I’ve played through in Session really shine. 
The dialogue is stupid and often kinda exaggerated but fun at times. Eg:
Dane Burman - “The rail is just on the other side of the underpass. It’s big, long and full of kinks like my usual Saturday night. Let’s get your legs warmed up!”

Billy Marks- “You want to learn tricks that’ll help you score big in contests? Well then you’ve come to wrong place because I’m going to teach you double flips”.

I’m also liking that they have challenges added weekly / daily etx and are often short little butstsbof fun where you might have to skate a certain spot or do some more tech tricks a few times but some of the requirements are just inane and unfun: Do 200 fakie fs flips, a few hundred 360 shoves but none register. It’s a mixed bag in a sense but I’m glad they are actively doing something with the game.

the 360 flip counter is bugged btw. if you want to get the 360 flip achievement you have to do 360 shuvs instead(i think). there's a thread on steam about it. it's the only trick i know with this bug tho afaik.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #536 on: March 20, 2023, 08:45:13 AM »
Any advice ?

I play SKATE with a buddy quite often. That might work in your setting too if you choose a beginner-friendly spot. I'm assuming everyone in attendance will know the rules to SKATE, so they could solely focus on the actual game.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
« Reply #537 on: March 20, 2023, 09:45:48 PM »
Just got session for my switch and it was the worst experience ever. I'm sure it's better on other gaming platforms but goddamn this was bad

FactoryMinimum

• Rep: -5
« Reply #538 on: March 22, 2023, 04:24:19 PM »
Just got session for my switch and it was the worst experience ever. I'm sure it's better on other gaming platforms but goddamn this was bad

Yeah even on PC it can be a bit demanding. PC is the platform to get it on for sure.

Speaking of which, they teased board breaks on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/actionofcreate/status/1638592404117934080

Just the middle of the board so far. Update drops next week. I'm curious what else will drop in the update.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #539 on: March 22, 2023, 04:31:20 PM »

Speaking of which, they teased board breaks on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/actionofcreate/status/1638592404117934080

Just the middle of the board so far. Update drops next week. I'm curious what else will drop in the update.

This is cool, but now that I'm playing through the campaign with manual catch only, this game is far too difficult already. There's no way I'm enabling this, I could definitely see it causing me at certain gameplay moments to focus my entire PC.

Speaking of frustrating parts of this game, does anyone else get the bug where upon returning to your session marker, your back foot clips through the tail, causing you to be unable to push unless you get off your board and get back on? I'm thinking it could possibly be mod related as I'm running the custom Half Cabs mod right now