Could the US end up in a second civil war

Yes, it's probable
18 (40%)
No, you're crazy
22 (48.9%)
Not sure/don't care
5 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Do you think the US could be headed for a second civil war  (Read 1443 times)

DannyDee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
Re: Do you think the US could be headed for a second civil war
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2021, 06:18:26 PM »
An actual civil war where a group of civilians go at it against the American military?
I think it’s next to impossible without the backing of another world superpower, and even then civilian spying is so intricate that any real movement will get stomped out relatively early.

Now will political tensions  get so high that civilians will attack other civilians on a semi-frequent basis? Probably.
Pretty much what I was alluding to earlier. The disparity between the American army and the seceding states in the 1860's was minimal to non-existent. No civilian militia could actually go to war against current American military equipment or the training of military units like Seal Team 6 and Delta Force.

Not that I think this is likely, but a military coup of the government is more likely than an actual civil war. An actual uprising against the US Government/Military would at best be a short-lived rebellion. And to be honest, how many people who want a civil war are actually serious enough about it compared to just larping? There is probably enough for a horrifying level of domestic terrorism (and to be honest, depending on how you classify spree shooters there already is a horrifying amount), but unlikely enough for an actual military threat that couldn't be ended promptly.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2021, 08:24:17 PM »
No, hopefully all the anti vax free thinkers just get weeded out naturally.

loftie.1

• Rep: 3
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2021, 08:49:20 PM »
No. Modern warfare has more to do with technology, media, psychological tactics. People are too aware of things to fall for another war, they're to "woke"

loftie.1

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2021, 08:54:28 PM »
As long as you keep working, the government can keep farming you. You will own nothing and be happy. There is no common enemy. Left and Right don't exist, this is political mind control.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2021, 08:56:03 PM »
not trynna offend anyone but these lines of thought are straight up a waste of time. who cares whatever the fuck the masses are doing or brainwashed to do. the truth is that we're all human. we breathe, eat, shit, and die. everything else is just bullshit some humans made up. you're downright foolish if you dont think the US or any other empire is immune to collapse. however, that doesnt mean we're all dead if we end up living through some war. we all literally just made it through a global pandemic. things will just change like they usually do. fuck all this politics bs. live in the moment. hug your friends, go skate, etc. dont worry about whatever news network or weirdos on the internet are saying. the reality is, you never know what will happen tomorrow. the news is just a distraction from that uncomfortable truth. On that note, Western culture is just sensationalized bullshit. Literally everything is designed to overstimulate neurons to keep us from being uncomfortable with the truth that we are just dirt monkeys.

also the concept of countries, borders, and race are fucking stupid. idiots literally blow each other up just cause they somehow came up with the idea that a specific plot of land is sacred.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 09:54:17 PM by in love w/ fs shuvs »

loftie.1

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2021, 09:23:57 PM »
pretty much this ^

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2021, 10:10:05 PM »
Maybe. The right thinks the earth is flat and i dunno how a county with like 40% insane people survives.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2021, 10:51:08 PM »
I find the idea of a state vs state conflict like we had in the Civil War to be highly improbable. However, sectarian and highly localized violence like we saw in the troubles could certainly happen. The amount of weapons in civilian hands in this country could make that very easy. It would take some large scale violence to reach that point though and i don't think that is terribly likely. I personally live in an area that would be immediately placed under martial law if it were to happen so its a little irrelevant to speculate about something happening here.

Also i find the whole idea of being "neutral" about certain issues to be quite a sign of privilege. It's easy to be neutral about an issue that does not affect you or may indeed benefit you. 

Dirk_Diggler

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2021, 10:07:40 AM »
If people don’t start screwing their heads on straight and continue to support trump and all this bullshit that the GOP is feeding them, then probably. Like imagine believing that a bunch of election ballots were destroyed in a chicken farm fire. Lol how stupid do you have to be to believe that shit?? It’s that type of mindset that is going to dig this country’s grave.

On the other hand I’m happy to see there are at least some Republicans now that are saying enough is enough.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2021, 10:55:27 AM »
my first post wasn’t a joke- the entire western populace is ensconced in a bubble of cheap foreign goods and a consumerism boom the likes of which have never been seen in history.

all political action or discussion is done on social media, and in the rare cases it bleeds out into the real world people either invade the capital building to take selfies or yam on a few targets/foot lockers and then go back to outdoor dining. to say that we’re on the brink of civil war is funny to me-

who’s fighting who and for what cause? 

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2021, 11:28:18 AM »
my first post wasn’t a joke- the entire western populace is ensconced in a bubble of cheap foreign goods and a consumerism boom the likes of which have never been seen in history.

all political action or discussion is done on social media, and in the rare cases it bleeds out into the real world people either invade the capital building to take selfies or yam on a few targets/foot lockers and then go back to outdoor dining. to say that we’re on the brink of civil war is funny to me-

who’s fighting who and for what cause?

I agree with your sentiment regarding capitalism and don't imagine a civil war in the lines of the last one will go down, we have however already witnessed components of wide spread civil conflict. Attempted kidnapping of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in MI. Growth of legitimate militias and widespread infiltration of WP groups in police and military. During last years wildfires and while OR was in a state of high alert, rural communities were patrolled by armed right wingers looking for "Antifa." I drove through and witnessed it. I also made it through Portland on the day of the largest Trump caravan terrorized folks.

I also feel that to delegitimize the capitol attack by saying it's just wing nuts taking selfies is dangerous in that such a perspective excuses the action and creates the narrative that there weren't armed civilians, pipe bombs planted, and lives lost. Sure, many were ineffectual or even lacking conviction, and those are merely the foot soldiers. In any conflict, the average foot soldier fits that bill, finding themselves on the ground in the right/wrong place at the right/wrong time, while the leaders of a violent movement are nowhere near the battle but encouraging from afar.

Had the groups of 2020 (and the preceding years) been better organized, we would have seen far greater violence committed by the far right at the expense of the rest of the population. To think things are back to "normal" seems awfully slippery to me.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

cky enthusiast

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »
they have all the organizing tools of the totality of mankind’s knowledges at their finger tips, get let in to the capital by people on the inside and then what?
a bunch of mower dads put their nuts on nancy pelosi’s desk and smoked weed.

castro defeated the batista regime with like 52 people.

calling it a “coup” is only carrying water for the FBI and CIA who are more than happy to open up the paradigm of warrantless surveillance in the name of “combating extremism”.

just because a bunch of yokels wanna play red dawn doesn’t mean a civil war is coming any more than some art school kulaks pretending they’re undermining capitalism by using instagram does.

i’ll say it again, in this impeding civil war: who is fighting who and for what cause? it’s not like these things spring up out of nowhere. what are the economic or social conditions these two groups are responding to?

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2021, 12:49:56 PM »
they have all the organizing tools of the totality of mankind’s knowledges at their finger tips, get let in to the capital by people on the inside and then what?

calling it a “coup” is only carrying water for the FBI and CIA who are more than happy to open up the paradigm of warrantless surveillance in the name of “combating extremism”.

just because a bunch of yokels wanna play red dawn doesn’t mean a civil war is coming any more than some art school kulaks pretending they’re undermining capitalism by using instagram does.

i’ll say it again, in this impeding civil war: who is fighting who and for what cause? it’s not like these things spring up out of nowhere. what are the economic or social conditions these two groups are responding to?

I get what you're saying about the internet warriors, on both sides. I'm not going to try to convince to see it the way I do, because I don't think people are going to get it until they're in it but there's some serious unrest on all sides.

like I said, I don't see a civil war in the traditional sense coming, but rather civil conflicts/attacks on institutions and/or civilians spread across the massive physical expanse that is called the United States, fought against a perceived decline of white supremacy, influx of immigrants, federal over reach, and an empowered "other" (anarchists, communists, POC, anti-capitalists, muslims, etc).

cky enthusiast

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2021, 12:53:21 PM »
if you think that’s a pre-requisite to civil war and not business as usual i would hate to live in the world of constant terror you occupy

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2021, 01:22:19 PM »
if you think that’s a pre-requisite to civil war and not business as usual i would hate to live in the world of constant terror you occupy

homie, I don't live in a world of terror, but thanks for thinking of me.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2021, 01:27:12 PM »

I don’t get how you square “Castro defeated Batista with 52” with “calling it a coup does the CIA’s dirty work”- it was an action supported by the outgoing president. I know he and his followers are stupid people but like you said it doesn’t take much.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2021, 01:50:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I don’t get how you square “Castro defeated Batista with 52” with “calling it a coup does the CIA’s dirty work”- it was an action supported by the outgoing president. I know he and his followers are stupid people but like you said it doesn’t take much.

it doesn’t, but if a group of people with organizational capabilities far surpassing anything castro (or the FLN, ANC, toussiant l’ouveture etc.) just by virtue of existing in the computer era, with the implicit permission of the current sitting president AND sympathetic elements within the capital police ready to walk them to the doors of power don’t do anything except meme irl i don’t view them as a viable threat to this society as we know it.

they had an easier path to an actual coup then most groups in history, they didn’t take it.

you’re afraid of ghosts and making up stories. there are very real and very evil elements in the fabric of america. some yee haw rootin tootin small business tyrant types wanting to have a tailgate in the houses of government aren’t part of it.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2021, 02:00:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

it doesn’t, but if a group of people with organizational capabilities far surpassing anything castro (or the FLN, ANC, toussiant l’ouveture etc.) just by virtue of existing in the computer era, with the implicit permission of the current sitting president AND sympathetic elements within the capital police ready to walk them to the doors of power don’t do anything except meme irl i don’t view them as a viable threat to this society as we know it.

they had an easier path to an actual coup then most groups in history, they didn’t take it.

you’re afraid of ghosts and making up stories. there are very real and very evil elements in the fabric of america. some yee haw rootin tootin small business tyrant types wanting to have a tailgate in the houses of government aren’t part of it.
They didn’t take it because they’re stupid but stupid people learn. It’s why there are countless examples of dictators being outright morons- Mussolini, Hitler and Idi Amin were all people who would flunk even the most basic history test. I mean your comment amounts to “well if they didn’t succeed the first time, no problem “, which is ... something. Surely some hungry people in Venezuela are bummed they didn’t take Chavez seriously the first time.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2021, 02:14:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
They didn’t take it because they’re stupid but stupid people learn. It’s why there are countless examples of dictators being outright morons- Mussolini, Hitler and Idi Amin were all people who would flunk even the most basic history test. I mean your comment amounts to “well if they didn’t succeed the first time, no problem “, which is ... something. Surely some hungry people in Venezuela are bummed they didn’t take Chavez seriously the first time.

they were able to animate their populace based of the perceived past power of their country in question (at least the first two- amin was backed by israel and UK and was already the head of the military when he took power). rather than promoting lebensraum and the glory of a pre weimar state or asking how far we’ve fallen from the unyielding power of the biggest empire in world history, trump just says nancy pelosi is a dumb bitch and the guy from NY magazine was catty to him at a cocktail party- he’s just some rich guy.

as for venezuela, you might wanna look into the aforementioned CIA and their interlocutions in s. america- they might not be as hungry w/o uncle sam’s help...

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2021, 02:26:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

they were able to animate their populace based of the perceived past power of their country in question (at least the first two- amin was backed by israel and UK and was already the head of the military when he took power). rather than promoting lebensraum and the glory of a pre weimar state or asking how far we’ve fallen from the unyielding power of the biggest empire in world history, trump just says nancy pelosi is a dumb bitch and the guy from NY magazine was catty to him at a cocktail party- he’s just some rich guy.

as for venezuela, you might wanna look into the aforementioned CIA and their interlocutions in s. america- they might not be as hungry w/o uncle sam’s help...
Dude, just stop. You’re up your own ass there- your description of Amin is exactly what Trump is running on. Like you just made my point for me and then threw in something about the CIA. Like if you think I should be concerned about the CIA acting in Venezuela I shouldn’t be worried that the same people might side with a would-be dictator here? That’s right I fucking should be.

You’re being a condescending dickhead and if you’re wrong - guess what, we’re fucked! If I’m wrong nothing happens to you. So shut the fuck up already. Idiot.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2021, 02:40:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Dude, just stop. You’re up your own ass there- your description of Amin is exactly what Trump is running on. Like you just made my point for me and then threw in something about the CIA. Like if you think I should be concerned about the CIA acting in Venezuela I shouldn’t be worried that the same people might side with a would-be dictator here? That’s right I fucking should be.

You’re being a condescending dickhead and if you’re wrong - guess what, we’re fucked! If I’m wrong nothing happens to you. So shut the fuck up already. Idiot.

lmao stop spazzing. u don’t know what happens to me if your made up social media civil war comes true- you know nothing about me.

unless you live in a weirdo fantasy world (which, judging by your flailing insulting responses to actual verifiable information, can’t be too far off), i didn’t “make your point” by pointing out idi amin was literally the highest military official in uganda prior to his coup. if you choose to conflate those two things as exactly the same that is a problem with your inability to process the minutiae of the world- not me being a “condescending dickhead”.

again, if there was a civil war what would the sides look like and why would they be fighting?

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2021, 03:47:42 PM »
No not in the classic sense.

More senseless violence in in the mail.

Neither party is on the left.

You gotta prevent violence by inspiring peace in the people around you.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 04:04:09 PM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2021, 04:55:29 PM »
just stopped in to say that this thread is going just about as good as one would figure it would...nice work fellas.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 327
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2021, 04:59:33 PM »
just stopped in to say that this thread is going just about as good as one would figure it would...nice work fellas.

TLDR; answer to thread is, 'No'.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.