Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 92981 times)

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« on: March 04, 2020, 08:47:58 PM »
So i'm up in CA, close to Oregon and we've had two diagnosed cases in the county. People aren't talking about it much face to face, but the shelves of big bulk stores like Costco are barren of a lot of stuff, so it's evident folks are thinking about it. No masks, latex gloves, clorox wipes, at all, and bulk food like 20lb bags of beans, rice, non-dairy milk, etc.

I pretty much lived in the woods for the past 5 years and rarely got sick. It was great. Now, I recently started grad school and a position in a k-8 grade school, and I've been straight sick with ear infections and flu since December. Although it's a really rural place with a low population, the schools are the gnarliest germ repositories. My partner is a social worker with elderly folks, so I don't know what the fuck she's exposed to either.

When Japan closes it's schools for an indefinite period of time, shit is real, and with everything so heavily invested in the profits of private market economy, mandated quarantines, closures, vaccines, or testing aren't happening in the States, period.

So, what's the word where you live? Y'all still eating your boogers and licking door knobs, or what?
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Chavo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 11:39:02 PM »
I work for a state agency in L.A. and so far we have only received an email warning to wash our hands, etc. There's been little reaction countywide as well. Keep in mind that we also have had recent typhus, MRSA, and tuberculosis outbreaks amongst the very large homeless population. A respiratory illness pandemic is the least of our concerns.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 01:57:27 AM »
I'm in Berlin. Went to the grocery store yesterday and they were out of toilet paper, beans, and frozen pizza.

It seems as though people plan on locking themselves in their basements and pooping a lot.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 535
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 02:31:24 AM »
I’m in Melbourne, I also happen to work in a place that sells face masks. I don’t know how many cases are confirmed down here yet but there’s more in the northern states. That said people are going nuts buying bottled water and toilet papers.

There’s a real ghost town feel to some of the more densely Asian populated areas near me, it’s kinda eerie

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 03:02:09 AM »
i'm in hamburg, germany. 2 million inhabitants and officially 3 infected who have been quarantined, so rn i'm not really worried. it's kind of crazy though, yesterday it was around 200 in the whole of germany, now it's risen up to 349.

tons of people have minor colds right now, me included, and i wonder how many people just sweat it out without knowing. i'm not really concerned with myself, i'm more afraid for my elderly parents, both who have not the best lungs anyway and are already struggling with the flu every year.

people here act largely normal and laugh shit off, as i said, lots are sick anyway due to the cold weather and typically in germany people go to work even when they are super ill because people think you are poosey if you call in sick. i haven't seen any hoarding or super empty shelves, but also people aren't actually taking care, still coughing all over the place and stuff. so i guess it's a matter of time until it hits sort of pandemic levels.

i mean let's face it, this might just be a new strain of the cold we will have to live with. it sucks for old and fragile people and i feel sorry and bad for yall but i guess we can't stop nature completely and have to adapt. i won't get my hopes up that this just passes over. i'd rather hope that if i catch it i'm well enough to live through a mild case and produce some antibodies.

best wishes to all pals and their peers around the world who have to deal with this somehow

oh, at work all the disinfectant got stolen by my coworkers, lol. and some grocery stores don't accept cash anymore.

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 06:08:32 AM »
my mother sent me a text yesterday reminding me to wash my hands. i'm 35

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 398
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 06:17:36 AM »
Our minister of health was pissed off on national television. She said NOT To go work if you had a runny nose. Not to visit people etc.

She's basically saying to start hoarding and stay indoors if you're not sick.

We had no corona infected people last week, and now it's risen to 23 I believe.

I must say, Belgium is VERY small and we have 2 to 3 main train lines which are used by tourists from all over the globe. Pretty sure that number will rise tremendously in the coming week.

No to bodyshame anyone but this our minister of health (she is a doctor):

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 06:18:17 AM »
Vans is starting to cancel House of Vans events and whatnot, on the basis of coronavirus scare:

"We regret to inform you that this weekend’s event in London – Zorilla’s Jazz Club to launch the Rowan Pro – is unfortunately cancelled due to travel and event restrictions in place around the coronavirus (COVID-19).

We need to put your safety and the safety of the public attending House of Vans events and Vans staff first and avoid any unnecessary risks. The wellbeing of our Vans Family will always be our primary concern.

We will keep you posted on any future plans to reschedule.

Stay safe and we’ll see you soon."

And apparently, it's not just this one event in London either but also more of the upcoming ones all over Europe.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 06:19:57 AM by silhouette »

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 06:42:51 AM »
In the last 2 hours I've done 3 patient moves in my hospital that are "COVID 19 positive" on the notes.
Shit is literally right above me.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 06:49:07 AM »
So i'm up in CA, close to Oregon and we've had two diagnosed cases in the county. People aren't talking about it much face to face, but the shelves of big bulk stores like Costco are barren of a lot of stuff, so it's evident folks are thinking about it. No masks, latex gloves, clorox wipes, at all, and bulk food like 20lb bags of beans, rice, non-dairy milk, etc.

I pretty much lived in the woods for the past 5 years and rarely got sick. It was great. Now, I recently started grad school and a position in a k-8 grade school, and I've been straight sick with ear infections and flu since December. Although it's a really rural place with a low population, the schools are the gnarliest germ repositories. My partner is a social worker with elderly folks, so I don't know what the fuck she's exposed to either.

When Japan closes it's schools for an indefinite period of time, shit is real, and with everything so heavily invested in the profits of private market economy, mandated quarantines, closures, vaccines, or testing aren't happening in the States, period.

So, what's the word where you live? Y'all still eating your boogers and licking door knobs, or what?
My wife use to work with Pre-K kids and outreach after schoolers and it was a nightmare as she'd bring home nasty viruses with her because kids are stupid and don't understand not to cough on someone or cover their mouths!

We've made significant changes to our lives she quit that gig and is working with HUD on real estate license. I would HATE working with kids and I'm taking care of elderly people, yeah they get sick but it's deteriorating and inevitable simple colds that take out the elderly.   

I'm sure it's going to hit all over but I'm definitely avoiding everyone more than I already do.
Dueces Bitch's

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 08:14:36 AM »
I'm in Singapore. 32 confirmed cases here. We're a travel hub and we've been through SARS etc, so this isn't altogether unfamiliar.

After an initial toiler paper and noodle-hoarding frenzy a few weeks back, things have settled down a bit. A lot of people have been wearing masks for a month or so and every pharmacist has a sign informing patrons that they shouldn't even bother asking for them.

Aside from that, many nightlife and retail areas are considerably quieter. Companies are requiring staff to take pay cuts. Or unpaid leave. Especially airlines and anything related to tourism, f&b or events. Funnily enough, the hotels are apparently doing quite well. Hospital staff are booking themselves into them to avoid any chance of bringing something nasty home for the family.

I think the economic impact is going to be severe. And that's here. We're a small, rich and more importantly, tightly controlled island nation that knows how to follow the rules in situations like this.

It will be interesting to watch Pence and co. pray their way out of this. Looks to me that God crafted this particular virus specifically to lay waste to the Republican party's aged church-congregating, anti-vaxxing base. Just in time to swing the election.

Either that, or it's because they are a bunch of cunts.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 09:03:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
My wife use to work with Pre-K kids and outreach after schoolers and it was a nightmare as she'd bring home nasty viruses with her because kids are stupid and don't understand not to cough on someone or cover their mouths!

We've made significant changes to our lives she quit that gig and is working with HUD on real estate license. I would HATE working with kids and I'm taking care of elderly people, yeah they get sick but it's deteriorating and inevitable simple colds that take out the elderly.   

I'm sure it's going to hit all over but I'm definitely avoiding everyone more than I already do.

yes, i generally like working with kids- it's more fun than adults. And, yeah, I am having a hard time not being able to avoid people. I might sound entitled, but while I wasn't off the grid, I was pretty darn close and it's really weird being required to interact.

It will be interesting to watch Pence and co. pray their way out of this. Looks to me that God crafted this particular virus specifically to lay waste to the Republican party's aged church-congregating, anti-vaxxing base. Just in time to swing the election.

What really blew me away was the WH banning the filming of a Corona briefing yesterday. Are they praying the virus away? Praying for reelection? Praying for the markets to recover? Or are they praying that this lays waste to non believers? It's definitely not cool.

I work for a state agency in L.A. and so far we have only received an email warning to wash our hands, etc. There's been little reaction countywide as well. Keep in mind that we also have had recent typhus, MRSA, and tuberculosis outbreaks amongst the very large homeless population. A respiratory illness pandemic is the least of our concerns.

That's gnar. Are you on the front lines?

I'm up north and it's wet and very moldy, so everyone, especially those living outside, is hit with respiratory stuff every year. While it's nothing compared to the scope of LA, we've got a significant houseless/transient population as well- I hadn't thought about those folks yet.

Our minister of health was pissed off on national television. She said NOT To go work if you had a runny nose. Not to visit people etc.

She's basically saying to start hoarding and stay indoors if you're not sick.

We had no corona infected people last week, and now it's risen to 23 I believe.

This definitely isn't the case in the States. The Federal government is pretty much ignoring what's going on to save the stock market.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 02:54:39 PM »
hey man the oly corona virus I am scared of is a hangover know what I am sayin man 8)

jc

• Rep: -73
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 03:31:15 PM »
That’s the good shit. When my dad was alive he would tell me I’m driving too fast in areas where limit was 35-45, of course I’d listen. Taking him to DRs appointments were really the only times he mentioned it.  Two years after his death I miss him nagging in passenger seat.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 04:36:20 PM »
i saw white people wearing masks....

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 04:55:40 PM »
I kinda feel a cold coming on. I prob have that shit. It’s basically the flu tho, so I’ll do what I normally do for cold/flu which is nothing and go about my business. Maybe not shake hands with any old people.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 05:00:59 PM »
I'm in Berlin. Went to the grocery store yesterday and they were out of toilet paper, beans, and frozen pizza.

It seems as though people plan on locking themselves in their basements and pooping a lot.

The American dream haha but yeah toilet paper seems to be flying off shelves all around the world

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 05:14:09 PM »
I recently got back from EU. Visited Bcn, Catania, Geneva, Lyon, Madrid, Bilbao, & Palma.  Feeling like shit the past few days, but don’t have a temperature. Mainly just coughing up shit and feeling spacey. I haven’t gone in to see a doc. I’m living alone for the next 2 weeks so I’m hoping it passes.
I’m on the west coast, people aren’t tripping out too hard.  I’m mainly concerned about my family, like everyone else.
I feel like everywhere I go there is Chinese tourists.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:15:48 PM by HateFV »

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 05:29:43 PM »
I’m safe (for now) in Ohio/Michigan. Hopefully this man made bio weapon that has similarities to HIV but is airborne goes away when spring hits and we will all be safe.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 05:58:23 PM »
20 confirmed cases in my county as of today, only 2 are travel related, so that shit is spreading.

Pnw

• Rep: -2
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2020, 06:15:33 PM »
11 people have died near me. Most of them within 5 miles of my house and closer to work.

Mostly I’m worried about my father who isn’t in the greatest health.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2020, 06:53:59 PM »
11 people have died near me. Most of them within 5 miles of my house and closer to work.

geez. Where are you?

HUNCHBACK

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2020, 07:44:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That’s the good shit. When my dad was alive he would tell me I’m driving too fast in areas where limit was 35-45, of course I’d listen. Taking him to DRs appointments were really the only times he mentioned it.  Two years after his death I miss him nagging in passenger seat.

: ( sorry G

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2020, 08:25:40 PM »
i'm in hamburg, germany. 2 million inhabitants and officially 3 infected who have been quarantined, so rn i'm not really worried. it's kind of crazy though, yesterday it was around 200 in the whole of germany, now it's risen up to 349.

nevermind, i wrote that yesterday, today cases have almost doubled, lol. 500 something something and 8 people in my city. everyone around me has the sniffles.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1059
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2020, 09:49:43 PM »
I'm in Mexico City for work with 100 other people from around the world. Our HR rep said "don't travel, stay home". I live near Los Angeles, return home tomorrow and my entire family is pissed that I traveled.

All that said, I'm not too concerned.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2020, 10:36:16 PM »
I was with my dr today discussing a recent concussion. My brain was  bleeding and they still advised me to stay out of the local hospital, a half hour away.

I was sent home and tomorrow fly out to tbay  and then Toronto.

Its crazy,  normally the place I go too is soooooo busy. Now it's dead. It's being advised not to visit a hospital unless absolutely necessary

Gentleman ninja warlock

Pnw

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2020, 11:11:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
geez. Where are you?
Im 2 cities over from Kirkland WA where all the us deaths have occurred so far.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2020, 12:02:56 AM »
The CDC currently states, "For most of the American public, who are unlikely to be exposed to this virus at this time, the immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low," so I'm not really all that worried. (see https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/summary.html)

I'm currently traveling through the US but my most recent Lyft driver told me business is wayyy down and he isn't making much money. He says the area I'm currently staying in usually has tons of Asian tourists, but there aren't many around and he is making fewer trips to the airport than usual.

Also, I had dinner with someone who works in wellness (I'm not exactly sure what this means) on a university campus the other night and she explained to me that the worry is that this isn't like the flu or cold that hits for a few weeks/months and then generally stops getting passed around, but it might just keep getting passed around. If it isn't seasonal then containing the illness might be pretty difficult.

So far the scariest thing about this coronavirus is the insane shit prominent republicans are spouting and somehow making this a divisive issue "Donald Trump Jr, appearing on Fox News, said: “For them [democrats] to try to take a pandemic and seemingly hope that it comes here and kills millions of people so that they could end Donald Trump’s streak of winning is a new level of sickness.”

Republican National Committee chair Ronna McDaniel said: “Democrats are using this for their political gain to try and stoke fear in the American people, which is shameful, wrong, and I think un-American.”

And the Fox and Friends nut case said something just as insane,  "the Democrats, watch the media -- you start to feel like they're rooting for coronavirus to spread. And I don't say that flippantly, I really don't, but they're rooting for it to grow, they're rooting for the problem to get worse, they're rooting for mysteries, unknown cases, quarantines, towns, for it to become an absolute national crisis for one reason and one reason alone. They have yet to find a reason to try to drag down the presidency of Donald Trump."

"They're cheering -- I can't believe I'm on national television saying that Democrats are cheering for a virus because they hate Donald Trump so much."

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronavirus-covid-19/foxs-pete-hegseth-democrats-and-media-are-rooting-coronavirus-spread

At present, watching Fox and Friends and then reading about the Spanish Civil War is far scarier than this disease could ever be.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:17:16 AM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

must be nice

• Rep: 8
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2020, 04:09:55 AM »
here in western australia everyones buying out toilet paper. we are a strange bunch.

animalflesh

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2020, 05:21:13 AM »
Westchester county NY

Over 1,000 people quarantined in the area