Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93038 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #1560 on: September 02, 2020, 09:40:52 AM »
At this point, 1 in 20 of the college students in my city that voluntarily submitted to covid19 testing is asymptomatic, positive, and just walking all around without masks mostly.

https://www.uhs.uga.edu/healthtopics/covid-19-health-and-exposure-updates

The numbers are probably much higher and the kids are not really doing anything about those numbers to keep them from rising nor does the school care enough to close it all down.

https://flagpole.com/news/city-dope/2020/09/02/georgias-covid-cases-are-trending-down-but-not-in-athens/

The county numbers are counted separately and the high student cases has caused a jump in county cases.

How is everyone else doing? I hope y'all are ok. I got my labs done at the VA the other day and explained how that was fifth place that I have actually physically entered since the first lockdown.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 658
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1561 on: September 03, 2020, 09:13:34 AM »
The college town I used to live in is getting wrecked.

Apparently, the students begged to come back so they could party and now they're surprised that they're getting sick.

The admin buckled under the political pressure from the city/landlords and the financial pressure to re-open and they've already had to shut down for a few weeks.

I'm so glad I don't live in that shit-hole any longer.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1562 on: September 03, 2020, 09:30:10 AM »
i'm teaching two composition classes at a big public university in Detroit, and one literature class at a smaller private university, and i am exceedingly stoked to say that both universities are being fairly responsible and conscientious in dealing with this mess, and all of my teaching is online synchronous via Zoom...

...which i know is not ideal--i miss the classrooms and campuses dearly--but is definitely a best-case alternative. i have a shit ton of enthusiasm and energy, so i've been pretty good at keeping my classes engaged thus far.

i feel bad for my students though--it's like taking all of the fun and social stuff out of the experience, and it's just the scholarly grind. i think it would be fair if the universities at least temporarily made tuition less for this "remote" learning--no matter how much integrity, preparation, and enthusiasm instructors have, something is by all means lost without the classroom. of course, i am an adjunct professor, so i couldn't make much less than i do for each 3-credit class...

i always said i would never teach online, period, but alas, necessity...

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #1563 on: September 03, 2020, 09:39:50 AM »
Gay Sweden here: we don't really do anything in particular.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1564 on: September 03, 2020, 10:00:56 AM »
i'm teaching two composition classes at a big public university in Detroit, and one literature class at a smaller private university, and i am exceedingly stoked to say that both universities are being fairly responsible and conscientious in dealing with this mess, and all of my teaching is online synchronous via Zoom...

...which i know is not ideal--i miss the classrooms and campuses dearly--but is definitely a best-case alternative. i have a shit ton of enthusiasm and energy, so i've been pretty good at keeping my classes engaged thus far.

i feel bad for my students though--it's like taking all of the fun and social stuff out of the experience, and it's just the scholarly grind. i think it would be fair if the universities at least temporarily made tuition less for this "remote" learning--no matter how much integrity, preparation, and enthusiasm instructors have, something is by all means lost without the classroom. of course, i am an adjunct professor, so i couldn't make much less than i do for each 3-credit class...

I think the kids should be able to wave a lot of the fees associated with being in person, but, I disagree with the idea of tuition reduction.

Arizona State charges the same for online as they do in-person classes and they've done this for a long time. Online isn't the same, but I feel there is some romanticization of the in person experience.

Prior to getting my act together as an undergrad, it didn't matter whether my class was in person or online, I just wasted the professor's time and didn't gain anything.

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2545
« Reply #1565 on: September 03, 2020, 10:17:52 AM »
I guess you could decrease the tuition amount by taking away from the admin. Jk, that will never happen. Also, you're already getting paid around minimum wage if you're an adjunct, so why demand even less pay for more work?
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1566 on: September 03, 2020, 10:23:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think the kids should be able to wave a lot of the fees associated with being in person, but, I disagree with the idea of tuition reduction.

Arizona State charges the same for online as they do in-person classes and they've done this for a long time. Online isn't the same, but I feel there is some romanticization of the in person experience.

Prior to getting my act together as an undergrad, it didn't matter whether my class was in person or online, I just wasted the professor's time and didn't gain anything.

i get this perspective too--trust me. i just know the experience has been fundamentally transformed, and a lot of what young people enjoy about going to college--which really does help to balance out the hard work--is lost right now.

i teach at Wayne State University in Detroit, and apparently enrollment is up this fall, but tellingly, there's paradoxically all kinds of budget issues ("crises") across the university in the different schools and departments. to me, this says everything about the racket of university educations, and how much is lost when something as seemingly insignificant as parking--for instance--is drastically reduced. so like Alan at least partly jokes above, cutting the bloated pay at the top amongst admins (or amongst the bloated tenured fogies), to allow for reductions in tuition might be a nice option in a better world, but of course won't happen.

what happens in the classroom is by all means romanticized at times, and plenty of students are "present" physically, but probably would be better off online. but what does happen in the classroom even when only a handful of students care and are engaged, is why i got into all of this in the first place...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 10:34:12 AM by Deputy Wendell »

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1567 on: September 04, 2020, 09:04:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i get this perspective too--trust me. i just know the experience has been fundamentally transformed, and a lot of what young people enjoy about going to college--which really does help to balance out the hard work--is lost right now.

i teach at Wayne State University in Detroit, and apparently enrollment is up this fall, but tellingly, there's paradoxically all kinds of budget issues ("crises") across the university in the different schools and departments. to me, this says everything about the racket of university educations, and how much is lost when something as seemingly insignificant as parking--for instance--is drastically reduced. so like Alan at least partly jokes above, cutting the bloated pay at the top amongst admins (or amongst the bloated tenured fogies), to allow for reductions in tuition might be a nice option in a better world, but of course won't happen.

what happens in the classroom is by all means romanticized at times, and plenty of students are "present" physically, but probably would be better off online. but what does happen in the classroom even when only a handful of students care and are engaged, is why i got into all of this in the first place...

I see your point of view and I think there is quite a bit of merit in your argument, but I still disagree for a few reasons:

1) I'm doubtful that most college students take the education part seriously. I worry most don't care about the education and it is really just a middle/upper-class party that offers them the opportunity to gain a credential that allows them to feel better than their peers couldn't afford to fuck around for 4 years and actually had to work. So, I have less sympathy for the notion of the social aspect of college.

My anecdotal example, comes from a prof I TAed for during my last year of university. He would do a pop-quiz once a semester that ask his students, "What article we read for class?" Each year the majority of kids couldn't identify the article by name, author, or topic. He would cancelled class because no one was prepared and took his TAs out for lunch. Dude was awesome and insanely frustrated with the lack of effort on the part of his students.

2) I didn't participate in the college lifestyle and I don't feel I missed out on anything. I went to class as soon as it was over I went skating or to work at a local shop. The skate world provided an amazing social life... although, my "social capital" in professional world remains weak since most of my skater friends didn't go down that road.

3) I blame the "tax payer"/libertarian retreat from supporting education, which encourages this reliance on dorms, parking fees, meal plans, etc. Using Arizona as an example again, the state constitution says that higher ed should be as close to free as possible. The Gov. cut 100 million out of ASU, UofA, and NAU's budgets a few years ago, because we need to lower taxes. The schools have to have bottom line business goons like President Crow who charge fees for everything and sell college as a luxury resort in order to make ends meet because the state refuses to pitch in, what else are they going to do?

Despite the lofty goals and the few students who really want to learn, universities strike me as overpriced holiday retreats for spoiled children because selling "hard work" isn't something most consumer's want nor do they want to pay a lot of money for it. Universities sell credentials and "fun" to middle-class suburban kids so their parents can justify passing down their professional class positions in society.

And, unfortunately, despite the faculty's dreams for their students, the universities probably just saddles working-class kids without connections with debt. Even if those working class kids gain knowledge, skills, etc., the job market is all about connections, so they're still fucked.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:25:33 AM by TheLurper »

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1568 on: September 04, 2020, 11:37:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I see your point of view and I think there is quite a bit of merit in your argument, but I still disagree for a few reasons:

1) I'm doubtful that most college students take the education part seriously. I worry most don't care about the education and it is really just a middle/upper-class party that offers them the opportunity to gain a credential that allows them to feel better than their peers couldn't afford to fuck around for 4 years and actually had to work. So, I have less sympathy for the notion of the social aspect of college.

My anecdotal example, comes from a prof I TAed for during my last year of university. He would do a pop-quiz once a semester that ask his students, "What article we read for class?" Each year the majority of kids couldn't identify the article by name, author, or topic. He would cancelled class because no one was prepared and took his TAs out for lunch. Dude was awesome and insanely frustrated with the lack of effort on the part of his students.

2) I didn't participate in the college lifestyle and I don't feel I missed out on anything. I went to class as soon as it was over I went skating or to work at a local shop. The skate world provided an amazing social life... although, my "social capital" in professional world remains weak since most of my skater friends didn't go down that road.

3) I blame the "tax payer"/libertarian retreat from supporting education, which encourages this reliance on dorms, parking fees, meal plans, etc. Using Arizona as an example again, the state constitution says that higher ed should be as close to free as possible. The Gov. cut 100 million out of ASU, UofA, and NAU's budgets a few years ago, because we need to lower taxes. The schools have to have bottom line business goons like President Crow who charge fees for everything and sell college as a luxury resort in order to make ends meet because the state refuses to pitch in, what else are they going to do?

Despite the lofty goals and the few students who really want to learn, universities strike me as overpriced holiday retreats for spoiled children because selling "hard work" isn't something most consumer's want nor do they want to pay a lot of money for it. Universities sell credentials and "fun" to middle-class suburban kids so their parents can justify passing down their professional class positions in society.

And, unfortunately, despite the faculty's dreams for their students, the universities probably just saddles working-class kids without connections with debt. Even if those working class kids gain knowledge, skills, etc., the job market is all about connections, so they're still fucked.

i appreciate the thoughtful response, and i wish i had the time to respond in kind, but i don't right now.

what i will say now is, i could not disagree with the bolded statement above more. it may have to do with the institutions that i've been fortunate enough to teach at--especially Wayne State, which has a significant amount of foreign students who don't fuck around. which is not to say that American students do--at least not in general. the vast majority of my students over the course of the past 8 years, have worked their asses off, and shown tons of integrity. again, might be Wayne State, which has a lot of students who are the first generation in their families to go to college.

also man, every classroom is its own learning community, and every instructor is different--i come from generations of union-belonging autoworkers on one side of my family and outright criminality on the other, and one of the most consistent pieces of feedback i get involves how "genuine" and "down to earth" i am due at least partly to this, which then i believed engenders sincerity and integrity from my students.

again, the schools i teach at may be part of this. i earned my MA from the University of Chicago, which was a completely different trip--the only reason my poor ass was able to attend there, was because i had a fellowship...

...hope to say more later, but i do appreciate the discussion...

bgod17666

• Rep: -7
Do you think I'll test positive?
« Reply #1569 on: September 04, 2020, 03:51:22 PM »
Yesterday I was moving some boxes out of my friend's place and his neighbor who I am friendly with said what's up to me and asked me to help her move a dresser of hers from one room into another room. I obliged. I was in her apartment (unfortunately with no mask) for I think less than 5 minutes across the dresser from her as we moved it and then I left immediately. Her front door was open the whole time as well.

Today she texted me and said she just got a test result back and that it was positive. I went and got tested within 20 minutes of her texting me, and I find out tomorrow. She has been completely asymptomatic.

Do you think I will test positive? I do not think I will. The CDC considers a close contact as someone who was within 6 feet for at least 15 minutes. Although I don't think I will test positive, I am slightly concerned that I would potentially test positive in a few days because I know it can take a few days to show up on a test. Given the information I have given, how likely do you think this is? I will of course be cautious for the next few weeks or so regardless, but was wondering what people think.

Deputy Wendell

Re: Do you think I'll test positive?
« Reply #1570 on: September 05, 2020, 07:40:24 AM »
Yesterday I was moving some boxes out of my friend's place and his neighbor who I am friendly with said what's up to me and asked me to help her move a dresser of hers from one room into another room. I obliged. I was in her apartment (unfortunately with no mask) for I think less than 5 minutes across the dresser from her as we moved it and then I left immediately. Her front door was open the whole time as well.

Today she texted me and said she just got a test result back and that it was positive. I went and got tested within 20 minutes of her texting me, and I find out tomorrow. She has been completely asymptomatic.

Do you think I will test positive? I do not think I will. The CDC considers a close contact as someone who was within 6 feet for at least 15 minutes. Although I don't think I will test positive, I am slightly concerned that I would potentially test positive in a few days because I know it can take a few days to show up on a test. Given the information I have given, how likely do you think this is? I will of course be cautious for the next few weeks or so regardless, but was wondering what people think.

i hope all is well for you man...

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #1571 on: September 05, 2020, 08:45:11 AM »
i’m just glad the virus died off with the warm weather like that guy said
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

sketchyrider

« Reply #1572 on: September 05, 2020, 11:19:46 AM »
a friend of mine tested positive, only like 4 or 5 days after i saw him personally. i just tested negative. he's doin fine, just the classic no taste or smell.

honestly i thought we were pretty safe, avoiding indoor stuff, kind of just seeing the same small group of people. he did get on a plane recently, even though he was pretty much just with his dad the whole trip, i guess airports are risky even with a mask.

i don't wanna *completely* isolate, but it does make me re-think stuff.

nutslide

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1573 on: September 05, 2020, 07:42:28 PM »
People don't seem to care and San Antonio sucks. Lots of people chillin without mask and San Antonio is one of those hot spot cities that has like almost 1000 deaths from Covid. Now that school has started the skateparks aren't as packed. Oh and the shop I used to go to sucks, gonna have to start going to Zumiez or Fast Forward again when i visit. Just found out that the owner of Alta Vista bought a lot of his trucks and grip from Zumiez and Fast Forward. He bought it at retail price and sells it out of his own store. What kinda stupid idiot does that? This shop really went to shit since Paul left. He at least tried to make the shop look good and kept it clean till that guy Damien took it from him. The guys at AV are pot head druggies and the owner Damien doesn't care if you smoke weed in his shop and gives beer to underage kids when he's not doing coke in the back of the shop. A while back they had a employee who was accused of raping a girl at a party and it took him 3 months to fire him and thats only cuz they called him out. They also got accused of looting a store across the street from them during the BLM protest a few months ago. Now they are opening a 2nd shop with Justin and Jrod of Southtown Skateboards on the south east side of town and what they don't know is that creepy guy Damien is gonna buy all the trucks from Zumiez and Fast Forward to put in the new shop. I don't know how this shop is still around. Skip San Antonio if your road tripping to Texas. Mask are the new rubbers so don't leave home without one.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
« Reply #1574 on: September 05, 2020, 09:38:47 PM »
a friend of mine tested positive, only like 4 or 5 days after i saw him personally. i just tested negative. he's doin fine, just the classic no taste or smell.

honestly i thought we were pretty safe, avoiding indoor stuff, kind of just seeing the same small group of people. he did get on a plane recently, even though he was pretty much just with his dad the whole trip, i guess airports are risky even with a mask.

i don't wanna *completely* isolate, but it does make me re-think stuff.

yeah, fuck going to the airport right now. I've gotta go see my family 3500miles away and while I could do the flight for $300/round trip, I'm driving for 6 days each way. I've got a great little MSR whisperlite stove, 10 gallons of water, plenty of food, and something to piss in. Crapping in plastic bags isn't so bad either. Thankfully i've got the Subaru Outback that doubles as a bed.

stay safe, homes
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #1575 on: September 06, 2020, 04:53:49 AM »
Only about 4 cases its good

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1576 on: September 06, 2020, 06:38:30 AM »
met a woman, we were supposed to go out this weekend or something, but she had to take a corona test. results should be in today. saw her about 5 days ago and i guess if she has it i should probably get tested, too.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1577 on: September 06, 2020, 06:50:39 AM »
It seemed to plateau completely here in the UK after having such a high death rate initially. Seems the hot weather and all indoor social / leisure businesses being closed really helped curb the spread. But the government have fast tracked the reopening of pretty much everything, pubs are open with pretty much no guidelines in place, all the kids are back at school and it seems we're all kind of being encouraged to basically act like nothing's wrong. The weather's turning and cases are already going back up. And our furlough scheme runs out at the end of October, forcing all businesses to reopen right at the start of Winter. I'm pretty worried it's all going to come back worse than the first time before the end of the year.

I haven't been at work for 5 1/2 months now. We're making plans to reopen but really the only reason we're doing it is because we feel obliged to / are getting hassled by customers. Probably gonna have to just close again 6 weeks later
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1578 on: September 07, 2020, 04:41:00 AM »
It seemed to plateau completely here in the UK after having such a high death rate initially. Seems the hot weather and all indoor social / leisure businesses being closed really helped curb the spread. But the government have fast tracked the reopening of pretty much everything, pubs are open with pretty much no guidelines in place, all the kids are back at school and it seems we're all kind of being encouraged to basically act like nothing's wrong. The weather's turning and cases are already going back up. And our furlough scheme runs out at the end of October, forcing all businesses to reopen right at the start of Winter. I'm pretty worried it's all going to come back worse than the first time before the end of the year.

I haven't been at work for 5 1/2 months now. We're making plans to reopen but really the only reason we're doing it is because we feel obliged to / are getting hassled by customers. Probably gonna have to just close again 6 weeks later

where abouts you at? up north theres been a spike here particularly from clubs/pubs opening and a "charity football match" (oddly scheduled on bank holiday) with 300 attending a venue that can host 150..

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/health/coronavirus/hundreds-told-self-isolate-after-28-people-test-positive-covid-19-following-charity-football-match-wearside-social-club-2963086

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/health/coronavirus/another-51-new-covid-19-cases-confirmed-sunderland-total-83-positive-tests-reported-city-weekend-2498170

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1579 on: September 08, 2020, 08:11:43 AM »
I'm right down south, not as grim weather wise I'd imagine and clubs, venues etc aren't open at all. Cases definitely seem to be going up though, I don't know how much of that is related to improved testing measures.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #1580 on: September 08, 2020, 08:56:03 AM »
Caerphilly on lockdown.

Not too far from where my girlfriend lives, like 10 mins down the road.

Bit worried that a second lockdown is imminent, especially since these things crop up about further localized lockdowns and such occurring.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #1581 on: September 08, 2020, 10:01:17 AM »
Skatepark reopened so that's a plus.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1582 on: September 09, 2020, 03:17:21 AM »
I'm right down south, not as grim weather wise I'd imagine and clubs, venues etc aren't open at all. Cases definitely seem to be going up though, I don't know how much of that is related to improved testing measures.

on todays episode of uk government fumbling its way through covid

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54081131

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1583 on: September 09, 2020, 04:33:17 AM »
I know, it's fucking ridiculous. Shame we got stuck with these cunts by a plague of single issue voters. Not that it would probably go any different if they had an election tomorrow. The number of people I've seen venting their frustrations about it all while desperately trying to avoid being critical of the government is laughable

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1584 on: September 09, 2020, 06:04:51 AM »
that extra £350m a week for the NHS sure would be handy right now

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
« Reply #1586 on: November 23, 2020, 03:03:08 AM »

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #1587 on: November 23, 2020, 06:03:03 AM »
Dunno if anyone has seen the shit storm that has been going down in South Australia and the Woodville Pizza bar, that place is about 5 mins from my house.

Shame cos' they make really good pizzas, although we came to a head once as their delivery driver loaded the pizza boxes into the delivery bag sideways and I refused to pay for them.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1588 on: November 23, 2020, 06:08:17 AM »
Fuck that happened to me a couple of days ago, we ordered 3 pizzas and they all turned up with the toppings in a huge pile on about a third of the base. Got our full money refunded and ate them anyway so it worked out well

Nick..

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1589 on: November 24, 2020, 06:43:33 AM »
Toronto and Peel Region are in lockdown for the next 28 days, rest of the GTA and other areas are in the "red zone" for now.

Locking down again while leaving schools open is a colossal waste of time and money.