Author Topic: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?  (Read 93023 times)

givecigstosurfgroms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Corona Virus. What's going on where you live?
« Reply #1140 on: May 07, 2020, 08:11:01 PM »
Quebec's premiere wants many of the Francophone and Anglophone schools open in the very near future (high schools are excluded).

However, the English School Board has basically said, "Fuck you. We aren't opening. We have the constitutional right to protect our staff/students." And the premiere has responded, "The fuck you do. I have the constitutional right to tell you to shut the fuck up and go to work." It'll be interesting how it plays out. I mean I imagine the teachers are getting support from parents who now understand how hard it is to manage children all day long and the premiere is insanely popular (his approval was over 90% last time I checked, which is insane for a democracy).

I think we've opened up our skateparks. I'm not certain. My local park was pretty busy the other day, but I'm not sure if people were just a bit restless.

Finally, I watched two guys get into a fist fight the other day. I don't know what started the fight but they weren't messing around. Some lady was screaming shit about calling the police from the third story window. And, this all occurred in front of what is obviously a brothel, which made it all the more exciting (my neighborhood is classy). A negative form of excitement but excitement none the less.
  Seems not worth it for 2 weeks of school.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1141 on: May 13, 2020, 03:40:26 PM »
The skateparks should be open in 7 days. The province is allowing non-contact sports.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Dracula

• Rep: -20
« Reply #1142 on: May 13, 2020, 07:11:40 PM »
I live in the south where everything has basically opened back up. Today in the college bar part of town there were dozens of students lined up waiting to get into bars at 6 pm. I kinda wish I couldn’t give a shit like they do, but I’d feel irresponsible. At least the only bar that I go to hasn’t opened back up yet so there’s nothing convincing me to go down there. The carelessness of southerners is really rubbing of on me

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1143 on: May 13, 2020, 07:49:12 PM »
My company has said we’ll work from home with end of September as soonest offices will reopen. They say they will have to reconfigure the layout in various ways.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #1144 on: May 15, 2020, 09:06:41 AM »
San Jose is on lockdown still all stores require face mask.  Most tech companies are still closed, no bars and restaurants are all take out still.  I heard Tesla plant got to open for business soon, so that’s good

Got my stimulus yesterday...bought a lot of weed edibles with some of it so far

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1145 on: May 15, 2020, 03:37:25 PM »
Good ol' Governor Gavin Newsom in CA is talking about huge cuts to the state budget, effecting mostly school and social services. My partner just found out the state sponsored agency she works for might have all of it's funding cut by July 1. I know we're not special or unique in this regard, but Goddamnit.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #1146 on: May 15, 2020, 07:54:06 PM »
Sorry gods, I wont read 39 pages so maybe some of the shit Ill say has been said.
I live in Guatemala and the numbers here are really low but due to a spike in cases the last day they shut down everything until monday. Meaning no one can go out except by foot from 8-11am to buy shit from local store.  Before that everyone could go out from 4am to 6pm using facemasks and shit.

What is pretty infuriating for me is that the shut down happened with no previous notice, Im stranded at my girls house (which is chill), but many people who had no food only had the chance to get food from 8 to 11 which meant long ass lines and people fighting to be able to get food. Or the other choice is buying food from restaurants like McDonalds and other shit like that. Which some people might not have the money or the supplies for the next 4 days. Im fortunate enough to be able to be at home fucking watching Netflix and Skate videos all day and doing nothing (working remotely and using savings), but first this is something that I dont consider living and second there are people who literally need to go out everyday in order to get the money or food that they are going to eat that day. So ¨taking care of themselves¨ by staying at home is not an option.

I know the disease is out there but as statistics show the virus is not nearly as deadly as they make it seem, and I find it infuriating that a bunch of these rules that they are implementing are actually meant for a few people to keep getting richer (which is something that has been happening for centuries) but now people arent even getting the opportunity to atleast get some fucking money to be able to get food.

Also, dont even get me started on the possibility of making vaccines obligatory for this shit. Fuck your NWO

Im sure most of these points might have been pointed out before, Im just 60 days late to the party in this thread haha

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1488
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1147 on: May 16, 2020, 12:00:39 AM »
gsosa, are you an antivaxxer?

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #1148 on: May 16, 2020, 06:37:36 AM »
gsosa, are you an antivaxxer?
No, I am just against the possibility that they are going to make it obligatory to get the vaccine, or atleast it would affect you greatly if you dont get it. Not even talking about health, but not being able to access shit or not be eligible for jobs and shit like that.

I know I might be getting way ahead of myself, but I could definitely see this shit happening
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:43:03 AM by gsosa »

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #1149 on: May 16, 2020, 09:56:44 AM »
yes, but what is the hold up then if you are not anti-vaxx?

lets recap:
- the virus is highly contagious
- there is a significant mortality rate and we are discovering long term damage to lungs of some survivors
- a democratic world cannot sacrifice at-risk groups or individuals "for the good of everyone else"
- long term social distancing will basically drive most people insane
- doctors from around the world agree on the medical facts of the virus and that only a vaccine will curb it

so, again, what is the hold-up? don't you trust your doctor? I know that big pharma does shady things, but it also does a lot of good, when properly regulated

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 587
« Reply #1150 on: May 16, 2020, 10:33:08 AM »
Would you be down with this mandatory vaccine if it came from China? For the record, my vaccines are up to date. I even get flu shots. But at this point I think I would prefer to go to the leper colony. Or covid colony. Whatever.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #1151 on: May 16, 2020, 11:44:26 AM »
jesus christ on a stick. every vaccine has to get approved by the health organization responsible for your country. throw away your tinfoil hat and all of your Chinese-made material stuff

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #1152 on: May 16, 2020, 11:46:47 AM »
Is science like the bible all of a sudden where you can just pick and choose what parts agree with you?

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1153 on: May 16, 2020, 12:32:55 PM »
Personally, I'm just talking crazy shit for the sake of talking crazy shit.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #1154 on: May 16, 2020, 02:34:09 PM »
Is science like the bible all of a sudden where you can just pick and choose what parts agree with you?
i only agree with the cool stuff like dinosaurs

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #1155 on: May 16, 2020, 03:26:39 PM »
My wife and I went to a beach in Malibu this morning to take a walk around. Lots of people but people seemed to respect space. That’s the first time I’ve been to the beach since this popped off. I forgot how good something as simple as the smell of the ocean in the air can be so good.

Bata

• Rep: -72
« Reply #1156 on: May 16, 2020, 03:29:25 PM »
I slept most of the day today but my parents went out and they said it was "really busy" and "like a normal day"

this is in a town roughly an hour north of Toronto

to me that says, "people are bored out of their fucking minds" which I get but I'm so used to not socializing this whole thing has been shockingly normal for me.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #1157 on: May 16, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i only agree with the cool stuff like dinosaurs
You'd make a good bible thumper. They like to think fossils are a prank. Like the old testament sacrifice stuff. God is just joking.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #1158 on: May 16, 2020, 04:04:04 PM »
Everyone is pissed off and bored. Had to take care of some business today a couple of towns over and it was like a normal Saturday. People everywhere. The news is shifting its coverage and it seems like people don't care anymore, or think it's that bad. I'm just worried about losing my job eventually, since the county I work for just announced it's expecting a HUGE budget deficit for the next few years. I do essential public safety work, and I'm like half way up the seniority list, so I'm not that worried, but still a little. I was looking for a different job, but now it's like I shouldn't risk getting on at a different agency (if they're still hiring) and lose all of my seniority or stick it out at a job I don't really like. I'm lucky to be working though.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #1159 on: May 16, 2020, 10:28:44 PM »
Good ol' Governor Gavin Newsom in CA is talking about huge cuts to the state budget, effecting mostly school and social services. My partner just found out the state sponsored agency she works for might have all of it's funding cut by July 1. I know we're not special or unique in this regard, but Goddamnit.

Newsom just slashed our agency 10% starting July. We're already operating at a 20% deficit from the last recession. Comparing to the great recession where we started with a 5% cut and ended up cutting 1/3rd of the workforce (with most of the remaining demoted one step), I can already see that we are severely fucked. I can see why he's opening up again while the death rate is still increasing.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #1160 on: May 16, 2020, 10:52:05 PM »
yes, but what is the hold up then if you are not anti-vaxx?

lets recap:
- the virus is highly contagious
- there is a significant mortality rate and we are discovering long term damage to lungs of some survivors
- a democratic world cannot sacrifice at-risk groups or individuals "for the good of everyone else"
- long term social distancing will basically drive most people insane
- doctors from around the world agree on the medical facts of the virus and that only a vaccine will curb it

so, again, what is the hold-up? don't you trust your doctor? I know that big pharma does shady things, but it also does a lot of good, when properly regulated

I'm with you, KoRnholio8
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1161 on: May 17, 2020, 06:56:59 AM »

we can or want to assume this maybe in europe or the united states, but since stuff was pretty chaotic in guatemala as gsosa told, i could see how he doesn't trust the government. and dividing the populace into vaxxed people with access anywhere and unvaxxed people that will be forced to self isolate or similar could be a possibility in any state that doesn't have enough money to give vaccines to everyone. lobbygroups of rich people could make moves to restrict movement of the poor that don't get a vaccine shot.

not every country will be as caring that they will simply hand out the vaccine to everyone, even if they can afford it. furthermore not every country will be able to control that everyone got a shot. even if the who will order it, some countries might ignore it, or again, simply not be able to finance this.

that said i will get a covid shot as soon as it's available. but i can see how the whole fact can give someone a weird outlook on the future and pessimistic people like myself will assume abuse of power anyway at some point. 

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #1162 on: May 17, 2020, 07:30:23 AM »
I keep posting in this but my town is doing so abysmally bad. On that list the White House has of increasing cases we're #3 by county. We're the only city in the county. The city still decided to reopen the bars and restaurants.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6888586-TaskForceDocs.html#document/p2

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #1163 on: May 17, 2020, 08:11:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

we can or want to assume this maybe in europe or the united states, but since stuff was pretty chaotic in guatemala as gsosa told, i could see how he doesn't trust the government. and dividing the populace into vaxxed people with access anywhere and unvaxxed people that will be forced to self isolate or similar could be a possibility in any state that doesn't have enough money to give vaccines to everyone. lobbygroups of rich people could make moves to restrict movement of the poor that don't get a vaccine shot.

not every country will be as caring that they will simply hand out the vaccine to everyone, even if they can afford it. furthermore not every country will be able to control that everyone got a shot. even if the who will order it, some countries might ignore it, or again, simply not be able to finance this.

that said i will get a covid shot as soon as it's available. but i can see how the whole fact can give someone a weird outlook on the future and pessimistic people like myself will assume abuse of power anyway at some point. 

the economic impact of not getting everyone vaccinated is far greater than everyone getting their shot (ha!). I am positive that even the most corrupt countries will happily endorse this, since the elites can pocket a lot of the margins

OR MAYBE THE STERILE MASKS AND GLOVES PRODUCERS WILL LOBBY HARD AGAINST IT AND THERE WILL BE NO VACCINE EVER AND WE WILL ALL BECOME BUBBLE PEOPLE!

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1164 on: May 17, 2020, 01:19:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

the economic impact of not getting everyone vaccinated is far greater than everyone getting their shot (ha!). I am positive that even the most corrupt countries will happily endorse this, since the elites can pocket a lot of the margins

OR MAYBE THE STERILE MASKS AND GLOVES PRODUCERS WILL LOBBY HARD AGAINST IT AND THERE WILL BE NO VACCINE EVER AND WE WILL ALL BECOME BUBBLE PEOPLE!

Now we’re talking!

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1165 on: May 17, 2020, 04:04:18 PM »
I keep posting in this but my town is doing so abysmally bad. On that list the White House has of increasing cases we're #3 by county. We're the only city in the county. The city still decided to reopen the bars and restaurants.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/6888586-TaskForceDocs.html#document/p2

wisconsin is showing increases because they're filing backlogged tests as current (see: "lying"). they won't be able to keep it up and infection rates will fall in line with the decline seen everywhere else.

your town is fine

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
« Reply #1166 on: May 17, 2020, 06:59:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Newsom just slashed our agency 10% starting July. We're already operating at a 20% deficit from the last recession. Comparing to the great recession where we started with a 5% cut and ended up cutting 1/3rd of the workforce (with most of the remaining demoted one step), I can already see that we are severely fucked. I can see why he's opening up again while the death rate is still increasing.

It's rough. Truthfully, we're thinking about pulling up and moving out when and if the time comes. My hope was to get a county job for a few years after grad school to get licensed, but I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon, especially considering we live in one of the 5 poorest counties in the state. I think it's top 3 in ACEs scores as well. Damn. good god damn
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Buck Russell

• Bug or gnat?
« Reply #1167 on: May 17, 2020, 07:04:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's rough. Truthfully, we're thinking about pulling up and moving out when and if the time comes. My hope was to get a county job for a few years after grad school to get licensed, but I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon, especially considering we live in one of the 5 poorest counties in the state. I think it's top 3 in ACEs scores as well. Damn. good god damn
yeah california might be a wrap. newsome really should end up doing serious prison time after all this. human rights violations bordering on war crimes

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #1168 on: May 17, 2020, 11:49:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
yeah california might be a wrap. newsome really should end up doing serious prison time after all this. human rights violations bordering on war crimes

Is this hyperbole?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Buck Russell

• Bug or gnat?
« Reply #1169 on: May 18, 2020, 12:02:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Is this hyperbole?

a bit.

california will be fine eventually but newsom is pretty evidently guilty of human rights crimes. cuomo should for sure end up in prison but we'll see if anyone actually sacks up and goes after them the way they should.